Healthy Hedonists 1/10

lesliew

Cathlete
Didn't see a thread on this yet so I thought I'd start it. I ate pretty clean yesterday. By that I mean no sugar, no alcohol, no processed food. I'm hoping to continue that today. So far I had scrambled egg whites and Ezekial bread for breakfast, and a bowl of low fat broccoli soup and a turkey s/w for lunch. It's only 11:30 but I was starved!!! PMS ya know! I'm going to do a nice long yoga practice once this food settles. I decided to start my P90X rotation this weekend. I'll enjoy a couple more days of hi reps/low weights in the meantime.

How's everyone doing with their exercise? We're anxiously awaiting that pasta dish Robin made yesterday! I'll check back later on everyone's progress.

:7 :7 :7

Hey there! I ate clean yesterday as well - just a bit too much! Went out to lunch for Thai food and never quite recovered. Tonight I'm going to have a glass of a fabulous merlot with my very refined dinner of tacos... (hey they're healthy!).

I love Thai food. Especially with a nice NY Finger Lakes Riesling or Gewurtz. I'm not going to attempt to spell it out. I'm going to post the recipe for last night's dinner later this evening. Nothing hedonistic is in my plans tonight. I'm following Cathe's Jan rotation which calls for 30 min of interval runs on a treadmill. I don't have a treadmill, so it will be 30 min outside in the cold and the snow showers. Maybe the cold will make my intervals faster. See you later.

Robin - I have yet to find a kind of food I don't love! Which is okay - I can strike a good balence between eating the food I love, and eating healthy. I'm actually a huge fan of the Vegan Planet cookbook - the dishes in there are so good and so healthy - so I can feed my foodie needs and still meet my dietary ones. :+

I'm looking forward to seeing that recipe! Thanks for offering to post it. Enjoy (?) your run today. Stay warm!! I have to admit it's supposed to be windy and rainy tomorrow and I was going to wuss out of my run. If you can run in the snow, I can run in the rain... I think I'm thanking you. :p

Hello my hedonistic friends!

Let's see....I went to Whole Foods today and got a great prepared lentil salad, premade FRESH salmon burgers made with spinach and feta, fresh brussel sprouts, and some olives...All healthy I just want to add....

Most of my hedonistic tendencies were spent at the mall today as I was picking up a few spring things in preparation for my trip to Charleston, SC at the end of next week...please keep your fingers crossed that the weather will be good enough for me to wear my lovely new things!!

Robin...Thanks for posting the recipe..it sounded great!! Hope your intervals go extremely fast so that your extremities don't freeze!!

Christine...Have a glass of wine for me..and a taco too!!

Leslie...Good luck with P90X this weekend...I have been doing ti for 6 weeks..almost halfway through....I really like it and have seen a lot of strength and definition gains. I will say that I miss Cathe and stick in at least one of her workouts once a week!

Happy Day to all!!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Roasted Mushroom Pasta with Prosciutto

1 1/2 pounds bowtie pasta (farfalle)
6 large portobello mushroom caps
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus some for drizzling
black pepper
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white wine
3 T cold butter
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
12 slices prosciutto di Parma, cut into strips
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Preheat oven to 450.

Bring a large covered pot of water to a boil over high heat for the pasta. Once it's boiling, salt the water, add the pasta, and cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta.

While the water is heating, place the portobello mushrooms on a cookie sheet and drizzle both sides with a little olive oil. Roast the mushrooms for 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Remove them from the oven, season them with salt and pepper, slice and reserve.

Drain the pasta and return the pasta pot to the stove over medium high heat. Add the 1/4 cup olive oil and the garlic and cook until the garlic is golden. Add the wine and the reserved pasta cooking liquid to the pot along with the sliced roasted mushrooms and stir to combine them. Turn the heat off, add the butter, parsley, prosciutto and the grated cheese, and stir it until the butter has melted and the parsley and prosciutto are distributed through the pasta. Serve immediatley with more cheese to pass at the table.

Christine - I'll have to check out the Vegan Planet Cookbook. I read cookbooks like some people read novels. Do you subscribe to Cooking Light? I've had a lot of success with their recipes.

Debra - I wish we had a Whole Foods in my neck of the woods. The closest I get is Trader Joe's, which I love because they stock only foods with natural ingredients. They're a lot cheaper than grocery stores, but they're not as big as Whole Foods, so there's a limit to what they can carry.

Robin - that recipe looks so rich! Thanks for posting. I don't like mushrooms but I'll print it out for my sister who loves them. I have several Rachel Ray cookbooks although I've never tried any of her recipes.

I made a CL dish called Sesame Chicken with Pasta tonight. It was pretty good but I think it needed some garlic. It had a peanutty sauce which I served over whole wheat pasta. My diet was pretty clean except for those three chocolate truffles I ate after dinner! I allow myself a few chocolates when I'm PMS'ing cuz it's the only time I crave it.

See ya tomorrow!

I have been SO HEDONISTIC!!! Too much wine each night - but very delicious wine. The saving grace is that I have worked out everyday, as always, and only once did I bomb it on food. Brownies after too much wine. Last night we had rare ahi tuna and spectacular wine - so good (and expensive) that we didn't drink too much of it. But today I have been squeaky clean! Oatmeal and banana for breakfast, felafel with hummus in pita for lunch, preworkout dark chocolate with raspberies, had Jari Love kick my fanny for an hour, then for dinner a huge salad with tofu and tomatoes and steamed spinach. And a screwdriver while tossing salad.:7

Tomorrow I'll still be on this drying off wave, so maybe this hedonism comes in waves!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.