HATE - Nov 27

August

Cathlete
I'm back from the boonies!

Actually, no, it's totally not out in the boonies. I've just become so accustomed to life in my apartment that more than a one-minute braless run down the street corner seems like miles away. Actually, it's just one subway train, no transfers, for about 45 minutes.

When I left it was raining, so I got out my umbrella, and put on my boots and put on my wool hat, had a long-sleeved shirt on under my long-sleeved sweater, and put my down jacket on. And by the time I got to the train station it had stopped raining and I was sweating LOL.

My friend wanted to eat Indian, so that's what we did (OH NO, WHITE BREAD!! :eek: :eek: ).

But it sure was nice and spicy! :9

Robin - Barley Flake, LMAO. And a person who THINKS they know everything about magical barley and its benefits is a Barley Fake.

Jeanette - My intention was to come back from lunch and do Cardio Collectibles, but the walking to and from the train station pooped me out (a.k.a. I'm too heavy right now from the huge Nan bread I ate LOL). Maybe I can summon up some strength this evening, unless I do my yoga, in which case I'll bump my Christi to tomorrow and skip my upcoming rest day.

Sorry, I was just telling myself that.

Yep, no sugar. No honey. No flour. Just oats, All-Bran, dates, a small can of non-sweetened baking cocoa, a slew of herb teas, various spices, a can of tuna, a tub of protein powder, some protein bars, and a few jars of organic peanut butter.

You can see why I eat so much peanut butter. :)

Jeez, I've actually now got to start getting things ready for dinner, though I feel like I just ate lunch. Tonight I'm making fish for me and Mom. And yes, I do plan to cook it through tonight. :*

Morning,

Did GS Chest this morning and tacked on Christi Taylor's Cardio Collectibles Hi-Lo, getting almost to the very end this time. Yep, Hooked on a Feeling is in the 2nd combo. No, the video clip didn't ruin it for me, I still enjoyed it despite the "pretty boy" visual.

August, you burned the fish???? My DH does most of the cooking at our house (on the weekends). I usually just grab something easy most of the time and we don't eat very similarly. My folks went to the Azores in August and many of the homes have a cooking area in the garage. Guess this is where they cook their fish so as not to smell up their homes.

I had already poured my Raisin Bran this morning and remembered that I have a big, big bowl of cooked steel cut oats in the fridge that I need to start working on. DH opened the bowl and commented on the contents of it. I'm going to Safeway after work today and will see if they have barley flakes or barley or whatever, I'm no expert ;-).

Oooh, Italian food, sounds good! I like going to Macaroni Grill in Reno, NV. Love the chianti wine too. I've not bought any peanut butter because I get toooo carried away with it. Believe me, the amount I eat is more than what's the healthy amount of fat to eat. Years ago, when I gained a lot of weight, I used to eat peanut butter and honey on a tortilla (or 2) just about every day. That'll pack it on.

Must go, hi to Michele, Robin, Dana and everyone else.

Jeanette

Good morning!!

I'm going to be really good today and put on my workout clothes as soon as I post, and then hop on Eli. I know you'll be shocked by this but, I tend to procrastinate and not do a workout until the end of the day, thereby ruining my day with a sense of dread about my impending workout. It's a vicious cycle. What I haven't figured out is which workouts to do for weights. Hmmmmmm.....

August, your kitchen is spartan! I'm probably going to have to ship out a years supply of stevia--lol! By the way, I've tried stevia and it has an odd taste. It's supposed to be 30 X's sweeter than sugar but it's hard to tell because they don't taste anything alike. I use the packets in hot tea. Have you tried sweetening your barley with things like mashed bananas or juice. What you could do is heat some banana slices in OJ or apple juice, puree it in a blender, and mix it in your barley. That should sweeten it up nicely for a hearty breakfast. Don't forget to add chopped walnuts! --Where on earth did you dig up that David Hasselhoff music video--LMAO!! I hate that song! --ROTFLMAO at the way you and Jeanette bundle up to go outside--just another reminder of my favorite Christmas movie, The Christmas Story, where the mom puts that kid in a snowsuit and his arms stick out like airplane wings--lol!

I proudly wear the "Barley Flake" moniker! After some careful research I have determined that barley flakes can be substituted for the pearled variety. The "flakes" are just flattened grains and the nice thing is, they only take about 20 minutes to cook as compared to the pearled which takes about an hour (August, I can't figure out how you can cook pearled barley in under an hour). I've never seen the barley flakes in my store but I'm going to look for them the next time I shop. There's a Wild Oats store about 25 min from where I live--maybe they have the flakes.

More news about sweet potatoes. I think the purple potatoes are yams and NOT actual sweet potatoes. Jeanette, you were wondering how to tell the difference between the yellow and orange fleshed potatoes. The ones with the orange flesh have a darker skin. Yams have a thicker skin than sweet potatoes.

Robin, good luck at your meeting today! I'll keep it in my prayers;) . As for the recipe for breakfast barley--I wouldn't bother with it. Just make the barley according to the directions on the package and then treat it the same way you would oatmeal.

Diane, Dana, Jana, Kate, Ellen--we miss you:* :*

I better run. I want to do that workout before I loose all motivation.

Hi ladies -

Sorry I have been MIA over the holidays. I was just relaxing and getting some Christmas shopping done. I am happy to report that I jogged around the neighborhood with DH 3 times over the holidays :) Yesterday I was able to jog for 25 minutes straight! I was planning on getting up this morning to jog, but I didn't wake up as usual. I think I will be able to get out of work in time to jog around the neighborhood when I get home - it gets dark so early so I may do yoga or pilates instead.

I am going to go back and catch up on some old posts and see what is going on around here.

Morning ladies. My computer is acting really weird so you all will probably be able to see this post but I won't. I hate this computer, I really do. I read yesterday's paper on line and when I went to read it today, it is still on yesterday and all the posts on Cathe are all from yesterday. Hate, hate, hate this computer!!! I"m trying to download Real Player and it says it is going to take 3 hours! Is that normal???? Did I mention that this computer sucks???? I think it was about 2 years ago it crashed so DH took it to some guy who was supposed to fix it. Not sure if he ever did but the idiot wiped everything off of it. I was so mad - I had thought that I would get our taxes together early that year and I had everything on a nice little spreadsheet for our accountant and the idiot computer guy deleted it. Had I known that DH was taking the computer to be fixed I would've saved it. DH is impulsive!!!!!

Michele, a.k.a. Barley Queen, I love Christmas Story too. Did you see on the news, I think it might have been Good Morning America (or one of those other News shows) that someone bought the actual house that was used when making the Christmas Story for 1/2 a million buckaroos???? It is somewhere in Ohio??? It is open for tours, you should go and check it out and then of course report back. I think it is in the same city as the Baseball Hall of fame, are you near there?

August, how did you burn the fish????? I have fish (haddock) in the fridge that I have to make tonight. I hope that I don't burn it. HA! Actually, my fish never comes out right. My dad makes the best fish - it is always perfectly flaky and delish. Mine never flakes. I tried to make it on the grill during the summer in foil packets and I burned it.

Today the DOMS from Jari's DVD are finally gone. I haven't worked out since Wed (I think????). I need to get my act together. I go back to work on Wed so I'll be so happy to get back into a routine.

Any of you started your Christmas shopping yet? I'm getting done little by little. I'm one of those people who are still shopping on Dec 24th. I did get quite a few gift cards this year which was way better then buying something. Gabe's CCD Class were selling gift cards for like 50+ different vendors. All I had to do was write a check and the next week I had them all. Nice and easy!

Ok, I need ideas. I'm doing a stress relief basket for my boss for her Christmas gift. She has an extrememly stressful job and it is effecting her health. So far this is what I'm going to put in the basket: Stress Release Yoga DVD, some tea, and dark chocolate. Any other ideas? She doesn't like candles or massages, manicures, etc. I'm at a loss.

Diane, great to see you here. :)

Hi Jeanette, Robin, Deb, Jana, Ellen & Kate.

Hi Diane and Dana!!

Diane, way to go on your jogging! It's hard to fit in a workout over the holidays, especially if you have much to do to prepare , or if you have to travel. I managed to get in a few good workouts on the elliptical despite all the running around I had to do.

Dana, I hear you about your computer problems. Mine has been giving me fits lately, although it's been better over the past few days. DH did something to it--god knows what--but it's been better ever since. I can't remember when we got ours--4 or 5 years ago, maybe. I'm hoping it will hold on for another year or 2. I hate spending money on things like computers and cars, both of which are necessary evils.

That house from The Christmas Story is pretty far away. It's in Cleveland and I live on the opposite side of Ohio diagonally. I would love to see it sometime, though. I just adore that movie. It's one of a few movies that gives me a good belly laugh!

Stress relief basket...hmmmmm...how about some nice lotion and/or bubble bath? Does she like to read? You could put a good book in there, or even a few nice magazines. What a about a movie theater gift certificate? I can't think of anything else right now. I'll ponder it for awhile. OH! OH! I know!! How about a box of barley, a can of green beans, and a couple of sweet potatoes--lol! You could tell her there's magic in that there basket.:p :7

Hello everyone- I told myself to get some "work" done before I could hop on the computer so it's a little later than usual- I ran for 35 min. yesterday on the treadmill-yippee!! and today I was gonna do Gin Miller Intense (the one with the intervals) and Gym Styles Back, shoulders and biceps and PUB abs only, but I'm trying to talk myself out of it-you know the minute I start whining about not doing a workout it makes me want to just get it done-imagine that- bbl--deb

Hi Haters. My meeting went well today. DH had to drive about 2 hours to meet with the residential and vocational folks who take care of Tristan. We were planning his ISP, Individual Support Plan. They had a lot of good things to say about Tristan and only a few problems to work on. We got the tour of where Tristan works and he showed us the job he does. He assembles plastic components for electronics. We also got some shopping done and I got a pair of size 10 jeans. Ladies, this is a breakthrough for me. I don't remember ever being smaller than a 12, and that usually only lasts about 2 hours. We got home in time for me to fit in one of the cardio premixes from Cathe's new workouts. I think the premixes are brilliant. It's like getting 3 or 4 times the workouts you bought.

Christmas Story is one of our favorite movies. My sister has one of the leg lamps that she uses as part of her Christmas decorations.

Dana, do you know where your boss gets her hair done? Could you get her a gift card for the salon? If I could afford to have facials regularly, I would. Maybe a certificate for a facial?

Hmmmm, fish. I don't think I've had fish since Greyor was born. For the first three weeks we were eating at the Ronald McDonald House and this past week, I've been trying to cook some of Emily's favorites. For the next 3 weeks, I won't have to cook, since I'll be working evenings. But, boy, fish sounds good. Maybe on the weekend....

OK, so much for my mega checkin. I'll see you tomarrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.