HATE - Nov 26

August

Cathlete
Good morning!

I made my rotation plan out for next month. I decided to keep doing the TLT/Christi/Cathe one I'm going this month because I love the variety of it, but I decided to put in more Christi cardio and also throw in Cathe's S&H. Ooh, next month's rotation is SCHWEEEEEET!

Today is Strength in Movement and I'm just about ready to do it now.

Dana - Oh man, that would be so awful to have toilet paper on the bottoms of your sandals (hehe, using the word "bottoms" in that sentence gives it a funny twist). Hahaa! You do the watching a totally non-related DVD while doing Eli, too? Weirdo! How do you keep your steps to the beat? Doesn't the extra music throw you when you need to speed up or slow down?

I'm sorry I can't tell you about Christi's Totally Cool Step. It's one I haven't done yet. But if you go here, you can buy any of her workouts for $9.99!

http://www.fitnessfly.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=38&Click=186

Christi's steps are fairly complicated, but for some odd reason, I actually have an easier time getting them down over Cathe's step. I think also because the steps are really fun (albeit sometimes frustrating at first), I feel inclined and inspired to get master them, whereas with athletic moves I tend not to really care about getting the move down right or not. And like Jeanette mentioned, Christi's cuing is AMAZING. I love her cuing. AMAZING.

Did I mention AMAZING?

Anyway, I would highly recommend Christi. I know everyone of you all are shocked LOL. Cardio Collectibles is a fun one - it has a step section and a hi-lo section. Mission Possible is supposed to be her easiest one (sorry, I haven't tried that one yet either).

Yeah, Jari's has a lot of lunging and squatting. I still hate em, too, but actually I kind of like that one-legged squat. Anyway, hope you'll warm up to it. I had it in my last rotation and it ended up serving as a confirmation for me that I just prefer strength over endurance lifting.

Congrats to Gabe on his attendance accomplishment, and congrats to you for surviving skating!

Gannon has a purple eye? I wonder if it's the same color as my potato!

Robin - Oh, I've heard the stories about Christi cooling down to her son's song, and that she plugs it a bunch. I've read a lot of mixed feelings about it. I can't wait to come across it LOL.

Deb - LMAO, your own post inspired you to do HIIT! You're too funny. Would you like some jeering for the big GS etc day? I AM expecting the FULL exercise report, after all. And there better be a chocolate report included as well, young lady!!

Jeanette - Michele is our barley expert, so I'm sure she'll be able to give you good details. I just started eating barley, and what should have taken about an hour to cook (I think) took me about ten minutes, even though my barley was not the quick-cooking stuff. It's pretty weird and I have no explanation for why it is.

Oh yeah, steel cut oats. Janjan and I both had a big ol' tin of them but neither of us could really get into them at all. For me, it's all about the goo, and steel cut oats is well, it sure ain't about the goo.

OMG, I can't believe you did 80 minutes of cardio. That's a PREMIX?!

LOL that you like that "ooga chucka" song from Christi's workout. That's a song from the 70s? Is that not the fairly recent "hit single" (at least in Germany or somewhere) of TV actor...I'm spacing on his name but he starred in Bay Watch and Night Rider?

OoOoOooo, yam casserole. The sound of it is still so inviting. Well, being the Sweet Potato expert on the boards, I'd have to say the slow-cooked yellow sweet potatoes are the best goo-producing. When I've baked them myself or nuked them in the microwave, they were good, but wrap one in foil and put it in your fireplace, or get hold of a sweet potato truck with hot rocks baking them excruciatingly slow, and you got a major Goo Parade going on. They freeze wonderfully, so if you do bake them in your oven, try baking a bunch at a low temp for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time and then freeze em! That way you can just take one out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave for a minute or so and woila!

I can't wait to hear your and Deb's report on P90X (that is if Deb is a good girl and Santa grants her wish). Of course now I'm also envying the Fluidity Bar. Have you taken a look at that? Or is it too froofy (compared to P90X)?

Michele - I saw you posting in a Fluidity thread, don't you try to hide! LOL. Okay, now tell us how the barley breakfast goo was. We need to know this information!

My gosh this is a long-winded post. :)

Hi August,
Does sweet potato goo make you windy?

Actually, I love steel cut oats because they aren't gooy. I like lots of texture. My favorite ice cream flavors all have nuts and big hunks of chocolate

I didn't get a workout done yesterday. I had to pick my MIL up after work so she could join us for turkey leftovers. I'll try to get yestereday's workout done today, which was to have been a rest day.

I hope Michele and her DH had a wonderful time at the reunion.

And I hope everyone has had a marvelous long weekend and is ready to get back to work and school tomarrow.

>Does sweet potato goo make you windy?

Do I have to tell you? :-(

So yesterday I ate my purple potato, and it happened to be one of the larger ones in the bag...and it was less goo and more potato, and in general I just don't do very well with white potatoes or things potato-y.....and, as Popeye might say, "Uck uck uck uck uck, well, blow me down!"

The price one pays for sweet potatoes.

Oh, man, pass over the ice cream that has the most gunk in it! When I was living in the States I'd always go to Dairy Queen and get Reece's Peanut Butter Cups Cookie Dough Chocolate Malted Balls Blizzards. Oh wait, I mean Breezes (at least the Breezes are frozen yogurt, right? heh).

Gawd, I bet oatmeal goo would taste great in ice cream. I wish I could have learned to like the steel cut oats since they seem to be so good for you. All I really accomplished with that stuff was to make a MAJOR mess of my stovetop.

That's nice that your MIL came over for some turkey leftovers. Turkey leftovers always taste so yumyum. Were you able to polish things off and free up some fridge space?

Hello ladies- I ended up doing just the 20 min. of cardio high intensity intervals and gym style legs yesterday which was enough-today I think I will run for 30-40 min.-I love gym styles but it is really hard on your body but I do think I'm getting a more defined and"cut" look-anyways we are going to get our Christmas tree today even though it's sunny and 60 degrees outside-oh the weather outside is frightful... bbl-deb

...but the fire is so delightful.

Good for you, Deb! Gym Style Legs alone is enough. Heck, HIIT alone is enough. :)

August - What kind of music does the Collectables DVD have of Christi's? I have the Fabulous Four one (have only attempted Step Heaven and I already told you about that). I'm curious cuz I couldn't stand having a Backstreet Boys song or Brittney.....or whatever else is on the Fab Four DVD in my head after the session. Frankly, after segment 2 of Step Heaven.....I threw in the Christi Towel. I have a feeling you will LOVE Seasun. I follow her cuing better than Cathe's also. Cathe's new Body Max confuzzles me!

Lora, LOL! I haven't tried the Fab Four yet.

I've been trying some new Christi ones...and now I totally can't remember what music is on what! But I don't remember there anything annoying on Collectibles...hmm. I shouldn't say that too fast. I think I have a Christi cardio set for my rotation tomorrow, so I'll give it a go and scan for teeny bop. :)

I'm so excited to try out Seasun! :7

It's raining soooo hard right now. I have to leave early in the morning tomorrow so I'm hoping it will blow over by the time I need to set foot outside. Please. Please. Please...

August,
You cracked me up about the messy cooktop from steel cut oats. I finished cooking my tin of steel cut oats yesterday and I was noticing this morning that I still hadn't cleaned my cooktop off from the boiled over mess. I probably won't be buying another tin. They do taste different to me, more nutty, more like bulgar. What is barley like to eat?

Seasun step? Keep me posted, I might like her, but still haven't mastered Christi's step yet.

Way to go Deb, on getting in that workout. I did the GS series for about a month and did start to see some definition. Enjoy your Christmas tree outing. We need to go out and cut ours pretty soon before we get a big snowstorm.

Have a group bike ride at 10 a.m. this morning. Should be cold. I'll look like a bundled up snowman on the bike, I'm sure.

Robin, hope you had a good time with your MIL yesterday. I picked up my mom and brought her over to our house where she and I watched "The Lake House". It was good. I also helped her with her computer to email some pictures of the Azores to my BIL who makes a yearly family calendar using pictures from all of us. Nice to spend some time with her. Oh yeah, I like chunky ice cream too, rocky road, tin roof sundae, etc.

August, I don't know the name of the "ooga chucka, ooga chucka" song, but it goes something like:

I can't stop this feeling,
Deep inside of me,
Girl you've got me thinking....
When you hold me,
In your arms so tightly,
Everything's all right
I'm hooked on a feeling,
I'm high on believing,
that you're in love with me.

Maybe the name of it is "Hooked on a Feeling"? Anyhows, I like it.

Will have to get ready for cycling now. Should be a fairly easy pace as it's cold out so we won't go as fast (wind chill and harder on the lungs).

BBL

Jeanette

Jeanette, I almost feel bad to put this link up LOL. I hope it will enhance your pleasure of the song rather than ruin it for you like it did for me. :D

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2433520

I've been eating less oatmeal these days but I have a MONGO box of it in my cupboards. It took me ages to finish off my tin of steel cut oats.

Barley is great! How can I describe it? It's kind of like bigger, chewier grains of rice and it's got a little goo factor to it, so it's easy to slip right down your throat without needing to chew LOL. They're nutrient-dense and full of fiber. I actually love to put it into my salads.

Okay, I'll keep you posted with Seasun!

On that note, I guess I should get to bed. I have to leave early in the morning to go out in the boonies to meet someone for lunch...have a nice day everybody!

Hey, I may have to give the barley a try in something other than soup. I like bigger and chewier.

I prefer Christi to Seasun, but I think it's the personalities more than the workouts. Some of Seasun's moves seem kind of dangerous to me though. As far as I'm concerned, no one beats Cathe for interesting, advanced workouts and great cueing.

Jeanette, it is called "Hooked on a Feeling" and is a remake of a song that was popular when I was in junior high. That should date me -I went to junior high, not middle school. That would have been in the late 60's. Ei yi yi, am I old.

Deb, I think it's supposed to be relativly warm here today too. My DH and DS tagged a tree yesterday, but we won't cut it until mid Dec. If my DH had his way, we wouldn't put the tree up until the 24th!

I'm GAGA FOR GOO, GAGA FOR GOO, GAGA FOR GOO, especially chunky, gooey, gloppy goo. I made the breakfast barley recipe that I posted the other day. It was really yummy but I probably won't follow that particular recipe again--I didn't care for the addition of apple juice which added a lot of calories but not much flavor. The next time I'm just going to cook the barley according to the instructions on the box, but add chopped apple, raisins, and walnuts. I sweetened it with a little splenda, but it would be great with honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar.

August, how do you make it?

Oh! I can't play at all today. I just wanted to shout about my breakfast which was crazy good. Goodbye oatmeal, HELLO barley! :9

DH is waiting--gotta go but I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Jeanette, and Robin, barley is better for you health wise than oatmeal. I swear it's the truth. Google it and you'll see.

I think we've been abandoned by Diane, Kate, Ellen, and Jana:-(

I'm back from my favorite cardio for the day - the group bike ride. There were only 3 of us (2 guys and me), the temp was in the high 30's/low 40's, little bit of a cold wind, but comfortable if you wear the right stuff. The right stuff for me is wicking underwear top, wool long sleeved jersey (not the smelly kind of wool, new stuff made by Woolistic), Pearl Izumi Kodiac cycling jacket, Am-Fib tights that are windproof on the fronts, wool socks, cycling shoes with toe covers and then insulated booties over the tops of them, lobster gloves, balaclava, sunglasses with mirror attached, helmet, and my trusty Camelbak. We all look pretty silly in our garb, but hey, it works. The cardio comes from putting on all of this stuff LOL. The ride was a shorter one, 22 miles as there is a storm coming in and we were getting light spitting of snow showers on us. Anyway, it was fun and ended with a stop in at our local Starbucks for a non-fat chai latte for me. Good ride, good company.

Yes, August, that's the song that I USED to like LOL. I think the video stinks! I think I could have made one better than that. David Hasselhoff is just tooo pretty for my tastes. Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot, now that's something else:p . I'll have to see which Christi DVD this song is in and let you know.

Robin, I remember first hearing that song in the early 70's, probably wasn't listening to music too much in the 60's. I graduated in 1976 so think I first heard it when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. Also, Robin, did I read somewhere that you have done a P90X rotation? If so, what did you think of it?

Michele, I'm off to google "barley" and read up on it's virtues. My only experience with barley has been in Campbell's barley and beef soup or something like that where it seems like it was really mushy little whitish bits. Of course if you were to judge "pork and beans" based on the little piece of fat in a can, you wouldn't get the right idea of pork either, huh? And did I read barley has "magical" properties?

Jeanette

Michele,

Would Barley Flakes work? Seems like they would take less time to cook? I did compare them to oatmeal and looks like they do have oatmeal beat in every way. Just a little higher in sodium, but still not much at all. I think I will check at Safeway and then if not there, our local Health Nut store.

Jeanette

OK, Michele convinced me to try barley for breakfast. Now where was that recipe that she posted? I missed it.

No Jeanette, I don't have P90X (yet.) I'd still like to lose about 5 pounds before I push harder on the muscles. I have heard wonderful things about it though. Sounds like your bike ride was great. I'd love to get more into biking, but I have no one to ride with. I usually end up taking my mountain bike on the state game lands near my house and calling it a rest day. It's pretty flat and I doubt if I do much more than 10 miles.

Robin - I had no idea that "Hooked on a Feeling" was a cover song. But actually now that I know that, it makes it a little easier to like for some reason.

>I like bigger and chewier.

LOL.

Michele - How do I make it? You mean barley? Why, of course, I make it at Superman speed on the stovetop! But I haven't made it for breakfast. I have no sugar in my apartment, white or brown. That's why I've yet to make your yummy-sounding ginger cocoa. For a split second I thought about getting some kind of natural sweetener when I was back in the States to bring back, but then I figured it's best not to train myself to enjoy the sweetness of it because then I'd have to constantly beg one of my friends to replenish my stock! LOL.

>I think we've been abandoned by Diane, Kate, Ellen, and Jana

I know. I want them to come back! Come back, you guys!!

Thank goodness that Dana can now check in more often!

Jeanette - LMAO at your bike gear! I am so sensitive to the cold, that outfit sounds toasty and delightful even if you're not on a bike!

>The cardio comes from putting on all of this stuff

LOL.

Now that I know that "Hooked on a Feeling" is a cover song, I feel a lot more willing to like it. I think it might be in Christi's Cardio Collectibles hi-lo? Or is that totally off?

Yes, yes, barley is magical! And so are green beans. What's a barley flake? I don't know why but the barley I make cooks up in like ten minutes and it's NOT quick-cooking barley. This is part of the magic, I like to think. The other part is that I only own one pot and it's fairly small.

All right, I need to get ready to go out in the rain to meet my friend in the boonies for lunch. :*

A barley flake is someone who goes on and on about the benefits and wonderful flavor of barley. Not that I know any one that fits that description....

August, I'm going to do Cardio Collectibles tomorrow and see if that's where it is. I know it's not a step routine. Think my rotation this week will be part cardio, part weight work in a day. I'm a little burned on circuits if I may say so. Still waiting for P90X. August, what? No sugar in your apartment!!! You're blowing my mind! I just really might be on the wrong check-in here! :eek: Oh yeah, in my limited research of barley, it talked about cooking it for like an hour. That's why I was looking into the barley flakes, which is much quicker, and they compare it to oatmeal (flakes). And how far away is the "boonies" for you? Is it really out of Tokyo? Hope you have a nice lunch :7.

Robin, LMAO re: the barley flake! Moi is certainly not an expert at this. Must be someone else... Robin, that's great that you get out with your bike on the state lands. 10 miles on a mtn. bike is much harder than 10 miles on a road bike. Try a flat ride on a windy day, it won't be a rest day if you're riding into it. Of course the ride back will be awesome :7 I love tailwinds!! Makes you feel like Lance, until you turn around and you've been sucked of your strength.

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.