Hardcore Weekend Check in March 20&21 2010

WD

Cathlete
I thought I would start the new thread. I am getting ready to go try out Tonique Fitness which looks to be non stop light weight mostly lower body. I also want to do some or all of SC Circuit Blast.

Lori, you need to get a 36x6 inch foam roller. They are great. I wouldn't be without mine. At my age I need to really work on that flexibility. I believe it is so important and helps keep injuries away. I ordered the Gym Boss and Power Eating 3rd edition from Amazon. I probably won't get the Gymboss till I come back from vacation since it is sent from the Gymboss people.

Linda, I really do think that you could do Circuit Blast. There is a no weight premix on it. It still does some of the high step crossovers holding a dumbbell. It is mostly lower and shoulders. I think Cathe doesn't go heavier than 15# in this.

Woke up with a sore throat. I hope this doesn't turn into something bad. I'm upping my Vitamin C dosage today and I might go get some Claratin D. I have a feeling this is my spring sinus infection.

Today was Legs. I did Meso 1, Disc 3, Legs. Had a great workout and went very light because I'm trying to do one heavy leg workout and one endurance leg workout a week. Worked up a sweat and my legs are rubber.

All of these were high reps, mostly 15-16 reps. Huge burn on almost every exercise.

Walking Lunges & Plie Squats - BW
One Leg Touch Down Squats - 15 reps each leg
Firewalkers - Green band
One Leg Elevated Lunges - 12#/6 reps each leg
Deadlifts Wide Stance - 12's/15 reps
One Leg Slide Back Lunges with Paper Plate - 12's/16 reps each leg
Side Slide Lunges with Paper Plate - S8#/16 reps each leg
Wall Squat with Ball and Leg Extension - BW/10 reps per leg.
Wide stance Squats - 12's/16 reps
Calf Raises - 12's/40 reps
Front Lunge Same Leg - 10's/15 reps each leg
Stiff Legged Deadlift on Platform - 12's/15 reps
Wall Squats Double Leg - 5's/8 reps. I can't go all the way down to pick up the weights with every other rep so I just held onto the weight and did it that way.
Lateral Step Ups - 10#/15 reps each leg.
Drop Side Lunges & Stand with Leg Lift - 8#/15 reps each leg.
Sequential Lunge Into Front Kick Combo - 8#/15 reps each leg.
Squats Narrow Stance - 12's/15 reps
Calf Raises - 12's/40 reps
Deadlifts Wide Stance - 12's/15 reps

Skipped the bonus rounds.

Have a great weekend everyone. Tomorrow is my rest day. God knows I need it!

Lori - Your son made my day! Tell him I said thanks! But I will give my standard disclaimer on that shot that I was holding a birthday cake in that one hand which was really making my bicep pop!

Debbie
- Hope you don't get sick!!!

I went ahead and did Circuit Blast this morning. Holding the dumbbell for Uneven Squats & Step ups is no problem. Where I ran into trouble was the Lunge, Squat & press thingies. Now I had my fingers taped together for support, but it still amazes me that 7 weeks after the injury (4 weeks in brace) how much pain is still in that hand.:confused: Anyway, I really enjoyed the workout.

Yesterday was HIIT Double Wave Pyramid. I had a puke status workout (to quote some of the lovely ladies on here). 33 min and 475 calories. I have also lost 8 pounds since the start of Lent. I am back down to 185 and I know I will see the 170's soon. :eek: :eek: :eek: It is snowing here :( 1st day of spring :confused:

Debbie-sending healing vibes to you. good workout regardless
Linda-I'm glad you were able to modify. Sending healing vibes to you too.

Theresa

I am done with my workout and feel pleasantly whipped LOL I started with Tonique and did the entire thing. Next time I will do a warm up before I start those drills
icon_smile.gif
Workout was 59 minutes and I burned 501 calories Max HR was 158. I think it could have been a little higher than that but I had to stop several times at the start. Had an error in judgment on food yesterday that I paid for this morning. I ate kale, spinach grapefruit, loads of strawberries then drank two strong cups of dandelion root tea. Won't repeat that again:eek: I followed this with SC Circuit Blast cardiio only mix 23 minutes I didn't have energy left for the whole workout. I burned 180 calories with this one. Then I did STS med ball abs and added 50 100# Bowflex kneeling crunches, for flexibility I did 10 minute solution quick sculpt pilates with a ball strength and flexibility which worked the low back and core. I got hamstring charlie horses doing it. I finished with Flexible Warrior energy segment 13 minutes. Total calories today was 822 and workout was 1 hr 58 minutes

Debbie, I am finally getting over whatever I had. I was starting to think I was going to have to go see the doctor. I went through two bottles of Zicam and loads of vitamin C and Mucinex. I hope you don't get a sinus infection. Those are miserable.

Linda, it you do Circuit Blast Cardio Mix it used some weight but it is mostly lower stuff like the lateral squats with the dumbbell, leg press, and the med ball segment. Then you get the cardio and the box jumps. I am sorry you are still having pain.

Theresa, great workout and caloried burn. Way to go on the weight loss. I bet you are thrilled:D

Hi everyone -

You're all on top of it and have had great workouts! I woke up at four a.m. this morning with whopper cramps. TTOTM for me. But it's more like "that time of ..who knows???" - very erratic. Always a surprise. :confused: Then, I did "Where the @#?! is SkylerMAX." She's our beagle. I let her out when I got up and then ??? Evidently, the dog next door dug a hole between our fences, then they escaped together. Almost two hours later I found her. She'd gotten distracted by a half full canister of Pringles Chips someone left laying in a park. Never been so pleased about littering or junk food before. Now, she looks very ... invigorated. I think that's actually a smile on her face .... grrrr. bad dog :mad:

I've taken some Advil and later will do disc 11, back and triceps. The sun is out again today even though the forecast had been for more snow :D Yeah! I'd thought about taking Skyler for a walk today (after I fix the hole under the fence), like she really needs one :mad: and I keep threatening to do some yoga. Maybe tonight. I'll see how I'm doing.

Theresa - WOW! Congratulations! That is just so great! Do you feel better, too? My opinion concerning which of Cathe's Hiit's is toughest, keeps changing. I just don't know. I think it depends more on me and where I'm at before I start than the actual workout. I think the sequencing in the Pyramid is good (tough). That second time through can really catch up with you.

DianeSue - That was quite a workout. I have an old Karen Voight workout (on VCR) that does super high reps with Very light weight, but that's more for upper body. I've maybe done it twice. Quite a good burner, I guess, and pretty unique but we're talking only 4 or 5 lbs. (for upper body) tops. Never run across anything quite like it. Even higher reps (and different exercises) than Jari Loves' style. It's legwork is "ok," the floorwork in particular is pretty good, if I remember right. I think the workout's called "Great Weighted Workout." It's the Only Karen Voight I have.

Thank you very much for the information on the Foam Roller!

Debbie - I'll second on the healing vibes. I'm glad you had a good workout, anyway.

Linda - I'll tell him ! Maybe I should start doing curls with birthday cakes ;) ! Funny. I thought about you and that lunge/plie-press move later and kinda wondered if that might be a problem for you. Glad you enjoyed the workout. I really like that one, too.

Lori, I used to have The Great Weighted Workout on VHS. I used to use 8 and 10# dumbbells and 5# ankleweights with it. It was a long tough workout too. I had other Karen Voights. Most I didn't care for but that one I used a lot and her Energy Sprint one. I sold all of my VHS tapes except a few Firms when we started buying dvd's.
I am dogsitting my DD's Golden Lab and her and my dog keep wanting to go out and romp in the snow. They roll in it and come back in the entire house smells like wet dog and has puddles all over it. When they get back I am going to have to mop. Fortunately I closed off the bedrooms because the dining, kitchen, and livingroom all have ceramic tile. Fortunately my dog doesn't try to leave the yard "yet".

DianeSue - Maybe I'll pull that one out again. It's been ... years, I guess. I bought it back when I was still purchasing a lot of The Firm workouts. All DVD's, and I still have them all stored in a closet in the room where I workout. I probably should try to sell them.

I finished back and triceps disc 11. I was kinda dragging, but it ended up a pretty good workout. Very surpised I was able to use the weight projected for barbell rows. But after the post I just saw (someone just completed 75 pull-ups) :eek: , I need to work on my pull up numbers for sure.

Wet dog is not my favorite smell. Skyler had that going on after her morning "adventure." She's been sound asleep since then (little stinker). I've always preferred bigger dogs and never would have picked a Beagle if we set out to choose a dog. She was the runt of a litter from one of my friends who breeds Beagles. No one else really wanted her (also had some health problems) and my son fell in love with her. The rest is history :) and now, I wouldn't trade her for the world (usually :rolleyes: ).

I need to do our floors, too. Those and half a million other things - Spring Cleaning stuff (I'd just like some actual "Spring" to go with it - It's still pretty chilly out there).

Lori, we have pretty much always had large dogs. Mudd is a mixed breed and is around 55# so not that big compared to the Dane and Mastiff we had. I think I would like a mid size dog if I ever get another one. Large dogs are more difficult with travel, finding people to care for them etc.. I do love them though. Mudd has had so much fun romping in the snow with Lucy. Normally she just lies around all day.
I have went back and done some older workouts and have been surprised how difficult some still are. Then again some I would automatically know would be easy:)

DianeSue - Wow. Just needed to tell you your new Avatar is beautiful (the last one was too - not sure which I like better). Also, after your comments on the Karen Voight workout, I'm just very curious to try it again. My strengtt has changed so much over the past handful of years. Plus, I really don't remember it very well. But, I will wait until I finish this rotation (getting close).

If you ever do get a mid-sized dog, Beagle's are GREAT. Skyler is likely the most loving sentient being I've ever met. She has a wonderful personality and is really smart and usually (this morning notwithstanding) very well behaved -- the qualities of a bigger dog that I've always been attracted to, just a pint-sized version. Also, they bay when they're sad - like coyotes at the moon. When my son and I go somewhere without her, she sits in the window seat in my room (she can see the driveway) and just bays and bays, surprisingly deep and mournful. It is such a combination of heart-wrenching, sweet and FUNNY.

Ok. There's my plug for Beagle's. Had to make it. :p ;)

Mudd is a great name for a dog.

didn't take a rest day since I won't be going out today and am leaving Friday. I started my workout with Walking Stronger all cardio mix 41 minutes 342 calories Max hr 166. This one did the walking backward and lunges as well as the circuit at the end with the duck walks, marches, and skipping. I liked it a lot. Then I did Kelly Coffey's 30 Minutes to Fitness Muscle Definition total body premix 78 minutes and burned 522 calories. I used 12,15, & 20# dumbbells. I finished off with Lawrence Biscontini foam roller first 16 minutes stopping at the endof the tibialis anterior segment. I keep rolling while he is sitting there talking I burned 67 calories doing this. Total workout time was 2 hr 15 minutes. Calories burned were 911. I needed the foam roller. My hamstrings, glutes and low back are sore today. Tonique kicked my rear yesterday literally. I am pretty sure the low back is from the pilates ball stuff.
It is so icey here. dear daughter came to get her dog and said I would have had a hard time going anywhere because there were cars stuck all up and down these country roads. So I had to get a hair appointment for tomorrow with a different stylist. I like mine but what can I do she won't be there till after I leave. So now it is dentist and salon tomorrow

Lori, your doggie sounds cute. The neighbors behind us have two dogs and one is a beagle. I hear it baying a lot:D I think half the neighborhood has two dogs LOL Funny because the house we used to live in people were really snotty about dogs and any barking. I got reported to the city because my dogs barked at night. They were inside dogs and always in at night when we went to bed. Generally around 10. Really was upsetting. My dd picked her dog up awhile ago and Mudd is so sad. She keeps whining at the window and door and coming to me like she wants me to do something about it. She gets to go to there house while we are in Jamaica so I am sure she will have fun. Thanks on the Avatar. I keep updating my pictures so I can compare to see if there is any evidence that I am getting results from all of this careful eating and my workouts.

About to go workout. Late start. Planning on Imax 3 and Baron Baptiste Vinyassa Flow later.

DianeSue - Great workout! I looked up some foam roller clips on youtube and am going to order mine this week. Good idea on using your avatar's to chart progress. My "tree" always looks good ;) I just don't have any current (decent) pics of myself - just my son. Once in awhile he'll take a candid, surprise shot of me. Like when I've just woken up with bedhead and NO COFFEE :eek: When I opened my account and did my profile (not a very thorough one) that's the one I posted there. Just to put some idea of my face with my name. Sometimes that helps. I think I had just finished yawning, and *click* :eek::

The weather's so-so here - overcast and cool. Maybe the cruddy weather you're having will just make Jamaica all the more INCREDIBLE! Glad you're staying in and being safe.

Well, I got more workout in shoveling some snow. I need to get out in the morning and a lot has melted but I have this huge drift in the middle of my driveway where it drops down. So, not taking chances I ran out and shoveled a path to get my care out. Now the sun comes out:0 It should have been out earlier LOL

Lori, I put the pictures in my albums so I can look at them together. Wonder how much downhill they will go while I am on vacation LOL Actually they have helped make it a learning experience because I can see differences when I take pictures and look at what I have been eating. For instance even a little sugar makes a difference. Of course sodium does and we all know that. My grandson loves to get hold of my camera and run around taking pictures of everything. I take my own fitness pics right now since dh is not here. I just use a tripod and set the timer. It is sizing the darn things that is a pain.
If you do Karen Voight's workout I will be curious on how you do. If it is hard or seems much easier.

DianeSue - Yah, I've noticed that about sugar, too. My weakness is coffee. I used to use Splenda but realized, I don't really LIKE it and was only using it cuz I couldn't have sugar. It's just not the same (and I know, not vey good for you). Incidently, IMO, you look great and more than ready for Jamaica ... or, anywhere for that matter. You're so consistent and work so hard, that won't go away over the course of a vacation. Your body will probably just appreciate the rest very much :)

I finished Imax 3. I've only done it a handful of times and was getting tripped up over some very easy pieces in a couple of the combinations. So weird. Step Moves (and some others) I picked up almost right away. Funny the things that confuse us. I think I can over-complicate things, sometimes. Anyway, I went back through the step only premix after I finished so I could figure out the places I was getting snagged. Part of it may be that I just need a rest day. Checking in has already been so good for me. Makes me looks at some things and hold myself accountable. I'd never advise anyone to go as long without a day off as I do sometimes :eek: . Not too bright. I'm careful about limiting the day's I do high impact stuff and taking "lighter" days, but still. So, I need to look at that. And yes, I will let you know about the Karen Voight workout, BUT I won't be stupid and try it out TONIGHT (see, I'm getting better already!!!).

Hope you have a great evening. Bummer that it's so miserable there.

Last edited:
Looks like you all have had great workouts! And getting out some of the old ones, too, lol. I had Great Weighted Workout once, got it in a trade, but didn't particularly care for it and ended up trading it. I do have a bunch of old firms I haven't done in a while, though, and I have been thinking of going through some of those again, just haven't yet.

I was pleased with my workout yesterday, but today, if I get anything done before bed, it will be brief. Yesterday I did the warmup, chest, and shoulders from Amy's All Pump Xtreme, then combos 1 and 2 and abs from her Hi Lo Knockout. The cardio part was only about 20 min, and no intervals, just combos, but I still got pretty sweaty, and that not even knowing the combos well. I want to get them down better, though, cuz they're pretty fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.