Hardcore Fitness Maniacs February 22, 2009 Sunday

WD

Cathlete
Thought I would get this started. Today is my rest day. I think I might use a stretch tape though. Tomorrow I start week 4 of STS phase 1. Hopefully I can move through the 4th week without so many equipment pauses. I made notes on my workout card as to whether it was 1 dumbbell or two etc.. So that should help. Not sure how I will do the recovery week. I am not very good at recovery weeks:) Maybe I can make myself do some lighter stuff. I would like to fit in a kettlebell workout even though we are not supposed to do weights on the recovery week.

Morning Diane Sue!

Not much going on here- I think DH and I can FINISH our 1RMs today. So I think we'll take a week before we start- I should do a rest week but also suck at them. I think I'll do some fun cardio and maybe a few circuits- considering DM in its entirety tomorrow. :)

Versagrips

Hi Ladies

I hope you don't mind me interupting your thread, however a few days ago I believe you were all discussing Versagrips? I am looking for these and I wasn't sure if I should be looking at the professional, classic or fit range. I'm in the UK so I'd have to purchase from the states internationally. Could you advise which would be the best for using to assist the grip with pullups/ chinups. My grip is very poor and its affecting my ability to do pull ups so I'm looking for something to help.

Also my wrist size is 6inches so I'd be looking for the small size. Any advice would be appreciated as I know you are a knowledgeable group of ladies.

Thanks for your time.

Laura
x

Hi girls. Just got disk i don't know in and did legs.. 8 0r 9..
No workout yesterday. MOM is in the hospital.. They say flu. SHe can't fricken walk.. It is more than the flu.. I was on the phone 1/2 the night. Then an iv with someone elses name was on her. Thank god it was only saline/ potassium..
Well, gotta get a bath and get up there to check on her..
Talk to you later..
Didn't want you to think i disappeared here...

Hello Ladies! How are you all?

today I did heavy legs with my new versa grips - and I have sort of like bruises on my wrists! Anyway, I like the versa grips.

Laura - I got the versa grips based on a recommendation from Linda. She said get the classics and get a small. The XS fit 5-6 inch wrists, which is what I got, and I may have had them too tight.

Todays workout

Legs

Front squats - 60# barbell - 5 sets of 8
Elevated dead lifts 60# barbell - 5 sets of 8
static lunges - 30# DBs 5 sets of 10
step ups - 30# DBs 5 sets of 10

20 minute walk on incline
stretch

Take care everyone.

Ally, I had problems with the fit on two pound wrist weights. I had to take them back because they were too tight. Never really thought to try the versa grips. Hope that you find the size that you need.

Hi Maniacs! Gettin' a late start today. Slept in cuz my body was tellin' me it needed rest!

Speaking of rest...Diane Sue and Patti...I KNOW I am preaching to the choir but you NEED to take your recovery week! I know it's hard as you feel "guilty" for not working out but your muscles need to recover!
Anne...OMG can't believe they had the wrong IV! Hope your mom gets well soon!
Ally...Nice workout! You are lifting heavier! Great job!

Did 20 minutes HIIT w/ jump rope first thing this morning and will be heading to the gym later to do shoulders, arms and abs.

Gotta run errands and go to grocery store and mentally prepare to go back to work tomorrow :( I love being on vaction!

Meals for today (medium carb day):

M1: 6 egg whites, 1 egg, cream of wheat, blueberries
M2: Protein Shake, apple
M3: 6oz chicken, 3/4 cup brown rice
M4: Surge
M5: 5 oz. talapia, 1 cup broccoli
M6: Protein Shake, almonds
Calories:1594, Carbs:153, Fat:29, Protein:180

Sonya, yes I know I need the recovery week. What is it? Cathe says active recovery. I am good for a couple of days but then I am ready to get started. I think Cathe says no weights and yoga etc. I know that Flexibilty work will be good. I would like to do some cardio though too.

Diane Sue...I hear ya! I'm good for a few days too then get ansy. I usually do a light cardio every other day. I definetly need to incorporate more stretching. You are really good about doing that. What dvd would you recommend?

I know, I know on rest weeks. I think that is why I'm thinking circuits...but let's face it, Drill Max isn't resting. :)

Speaking of yoga and stretching, I haven't tried this yet, but bought it for 50% off as part of Tracey Staehle's special for the ya ya's through the end of February. It is Yoga Solutions and has a bunch of premixes since it can be used post workout. For instance, it has the following premixes- post run, post kickboxing, post cycling, post upper body weight training, post lower body weight training, post total body weight training, post step / floor cardio and a bonus timesaver of 40 minutes. Total it is an hour and 50 minutes. I'll let you know what I think.

Today is a blessed rest day!! Yay - of course, another 4 hours in the car so bummer on that.

Diane Sue - I am going to try that site. I realized I had signed up at one point, I think b/c you had mentioned it before, but I had forgotten about that.

Anybody going on the RT?

Shana: I was debating on the RT with DH this past weekend and he said do whatever I want. I guess ultimately I don't want to spend over $500 on this, as much as I would love to meet Cathe and crew. I think I'm going to pass on it. Anyone else going?

Patti, I like Tracey's yoga dvd. I havent' done the whole thing, but the seated part has some really nice stretches and it's a good recovery section. Does your DH workout with you ?

Yesterday I made up my own yoga for 25 minutes. I am actually a bit sore in my upper arms and I cannot fathom why. I did some of those bridge poses when you pull back into staff pose (I think that's it...dandasana) with your but elevated, and then back and forth, but I didn't do more than maybe 20; it just doesn't seem like enough. Oh well. Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend.

Patti - I have wanted to go now for a year! Now I'm not that into it. I would rather have a new bike trainer, shoes, clip pedals, etc! And maybe the TRX system. The person I would want to go with is on the fence too - if we could be guaranteed two spots, that would be easier! Tomorrow will be frenzied, I am sure.

Sonya, I have quite a few favorite stretch/yoga workouts that I go to a lot. Tracey Staehle's yoga solutions is nice because it has lots of pemixes. I mix up my stretching and flexibility using the AOS Empire State 10 minute joint mobility segment(sometimes I stop and do do a few more of each move) I also recommend Keli Roberts flexibility for the inflexible foam roller dvd. It runs about 30 minutes but has a breakdown where you can do portions of it.

Shana, that program is pretty easy to use.

Patti, there are some good premixes on Tracey's dvd. I think the one segment I find myself not wanting to do as much is the post upper body weight premix. It requires lots of balancing and holding poses. I like hos they explain and show variations on the poses too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.