HARDCORE FITNESS MANIAC HOTTIES CHECK IN 05-12

Tekmistic

Cathlete
Good Morning Everyone!
Today was LIC for my circuit workout and I forgot how difficult this workout is!! I always think of anything "low impact" as easier, but it was a struggle to get this done this morning. On a brighter note, I am dropping lbs like crazy - YIIPPEE!! I hope to be down another few lbs before Memorial Day, but will have to be seriously watching the carbs/sweets.

Theresa - Thanks for the info on the BCAA's (I think that was it?). Would you get them at a GNC or health food store? What is the cost? I would appreciate any info, especially considering I have been soooooo SORE at times over the past few weeks.

I was also wondering if anyone has Core Max.....it is the "special" of the week. I was considering buying it, but would appreciate any info because I think I would rather buy the Terminator DVD.

That's all for now. I have a busy day ahead so I'm not sure if I can post later, but will try to catch up with everyone later today.

Happy Wednesday!

Cheryl :)

Cheryl-Here is a good place to start. http://www.allstarhealth.com/li.aspx?&s=bcaa

You want to find one that has the L-leucine, L-isoleucine, and L-valine plus glutamine. They have several capsule forms (you can get them at GNC also, but I think you can find them cheaper online). Scivation makes a powder form that you can drink before and after your workout (I have the lemonade flavor and it is good). Also, most whey protein powders have BCAA's in them, so if you drink a protein shake immediately after your workout, you would be getting extra BCAA's that way (Optimum Nutrtion makes a good whey product). Hope this helps :)

Hermia-I'm glad you and your Mom had a nice time. The BCAA's are supposed to help w/ that, also he may look into beta alanine or creatine which are supposed to help w/ muscle recovery.

Linda-I can't believe they are standing. I usually collapse to one knee between intervals (especially on the 40/20) :eek:

Lori-good work on getting the Viper in :) I'm trying to remember that one, does it have bootcamp segments?

Yesterday was cardio and I did Tracie Long's Step Forward warm up through combo 4 and then Bosu Xplode Burst combo/burst 1-3. I finished w/ MM abs and a stretch. Total time was 52 min and I burned 770 calories :eek: I really like the step workout. It is not super complicated moves and there about 8 segments so they don't last too long. The Burst workout is a friggin' monster; I don't know what it is about the Bosu but my heart rate skyrockets :D

Today was cardio and IMAX 3 was on tap. I don't think I should do this workout due to my knee right now. I may do it in the next few weeks of this rotation in place of something else. I did Tracey's Cardio Kickbox Challenge. Had a really excellent workout, I worked my ass off with this one. I really had fun with it and I feel great right now.

HR STATS:
1 hr. 3 min. total
6 minutes below zone
14 minutes in zone
41 minutes above zone
473 calories burned

Cheryl - I have Core Max and probably have only used the workouts a handful of times. Not too crazy about it. I hate working my abs so to have to work them for 15-20 minutes is just a big turn off for me. You may get other opinions, though.

Theresa - Nice workout yesterday and great calorie burn! I've never done a Tracie Long workout.

Debbie-Tracie is sneaky. I thought it was going to be a breeze, but she gives power options that spike the HR. She just put out the Longevity series (which is the step workout I did) and I like her, she is not annoying at all. She has a new set coming out soon that are all 30 min and under, she has a plyo/step type workout coming w/ that and a stretch workout I think I need. :D Oh and nice work yourself. I have not done that workout all the way through but I like it quite a bit. I heard Josef will be filming a few workouts in the near future (MMA style stuff) :eek:

Cheryl-I didn't see the coremax question originally, sorry. I have to agree w/ Debbie on this one. I don't like to spend 20 min working abs, so if you are going to spend money I think you will get more bang for your buck w/ the Terminator DVD.

Last edited:
Good Morning -

My stomach was a mess y'day afternoon. Bad GI stuff -- reminded me of what DS had earlier this year. I feel ok this morning, though. It is snowing. WTH? Did someone hit rewind on this movie? Winter again. I know spring storms pass pretty quickly but I was none too happy putting LONG JOHN'S on this morning :confused: . Anyway (enough grumpiness - sorry) -- cardio today. Then, I'm going to do the Pyramids and after that revisit Cathe's Slow and Heavy work I did with Amy (Slo Mo) add-ons.

Theresa - The Viper is a step segment from Cardio and Weights, then an Imax 2 w/ step and interval, then a few (3 or 4) segments from Muscle Endurance. This repeats 4 times, alternating lower/upper body weight work every other round. Hope that makes sense. The Gauntlet is the one with Bootcamp segments. There are 7 cycles with Imax 2 and Bootcamp cardio, Bootcamp upper, lower weight work and core and a Cardio and Weights compound weight training in there somewhere. Just now from the description, Gauntlet sounds harder to me. I don't think it really is, though (IMO). These are my two "favorites." I use that term advisedly. Imax Extreme is really mostly a cardio mix. Holy Cow on your workout yesterday :eek: Great burn. I have some of Tracie Long's older stuff. Haven't done any of it for quite awhile.

Debbie - That very workout is ON ITS WAY to me. Yay! I got a shipping notification. Not sure why it took so long. Glad you had a good one and feel great :D . I know those kind of workouts. They're the best.

Cheryl - I don't have Core Max. Obviously do have Terminator. It's probably not as menacing as I've made it sound. Just don't do it if you're having GI issues -- my best advice :confused: . On a higher energy day it can be super fun -- lots of changes and variety.

Hermia - What a fun weekend. Very touching that you and your mom do all those things together and share your interests. She sounds like a neat lady. Also very glad you got some time to enjoy yourself and do what you wanted. You sure work hard. Hope your schedule eases up over the summer.

Diane Sue - I meant to tell you that I showed DS the slingshot link you shared. He went nuts -- thought it was so cool :D . His birthday isn't until August but I bet he'd like it as an end of school year gift. He'd likely recruit me as a training partner -- may well find myself "slingshot-ed" clear into your part of the country :confused: Should be ... fun.

Linda - I'm pretty wimpy between some of the Hiit intervals :eek: . I do stagger towards my water bottle pretty often. I think I roll my eyes quite a lot too. That doesn't count as active recovery?

Lora - If you're around, I hope you're doing ok. Been wondering about you.

Hi to Char and Roselyn.

Have a good morning everyone.

Lori

Theresa - What did you think of the Bosu workout?

Debbie - Good idea skipping IMAX 3, nice job of Tracey's Cardio KickBox. I've only ever gotten to try that one once.

Lori - Ouch on the GI trouble, hope it's over today.

This morning was legs and I wasn't in the mood for STS so I did P90X Legs & Back minus the back. I think this has to be one of my all time favorite leg workouts. It hits my legs hard, I mean so hard my hamstrings are cramping during the workout!:eek:

This morning's workout was Bosu Explode Burst with Mindy Mylrea 59 minutes and 433 calories burned Max HR was 159. This one just uses the Bosu & a ball. I used a 5# ball. I think the one sold by Bosu that they use is 4#. I wanted total body weights but didn't have a lot of time so did Kelly's 30 minutes to Fitness Muscle Definition workout 2, 34 minutes and 169 calories. I took the girls to school and came back and did Jillian's Yoga Meltdown workout 2, 29 minutes and 90 calories. This has some tough holds in it. I like it. I followed all of the moves except the wheel which I have never been good at. I followed the beginner. Jillian had them doing that move up and down so quickly before she did the 15 second hold. I can sometimes get there but not like that. Total workout time was 2 hr 2 minutes 692 calories. Friday I will do another Explode workout and should have my other equipment:D

Cheryl, that would be a tough decision between those two workouts. I think I would lean toward the terminator dvd though. Do you have the STS dvd? If you do, I would say definitely get the other one. I love ab work though so I really liked Core Max. It has premixes on it as well. I think I used the tough core premix more than the rest of the workouts.

Theresa, I see you tackled part of one of the Explode workouts. I notice that these workouts all get my HR up faily quickly when I am warming up. That one is the toughest as far as cardiovascular. I would say Amped may be second:) I actually got sick to the stomach just before the last interval. Had to stop and wipe my face with a cool cloth then went back and finished. This usually never happens to me. I like that Traci Long workout. She has my legs burning near the end:D Oh, and speaking of legs burning, Mindy had my legs on fire today with that Explode workout.

Debbie, nice calorie burn on Cardio Kickbox Challenge:D You probably burned just as many if not more calories as you would have with I Max 3.

Lori, I was thinking of pulling out the Slo Mo workouts and using some of it with the Explode workouts:D You get sling shotted to this part of the country and a tornado may just shoot you right back LOL I get mine tomorrow so will use one of those workouts Friday:D

Linda, hopefully it won't be long before you can be back to all of those workouts. Good job on P90X Legs;)

Diane Sue-I'm actually relieved to hear that it was not easy for you. My HR never got below 160 w/ the Bosu workout, and the killer part is that she doesn't even look winded. :confused: I think I will have to work my way up to the entire thing or I may just use it in bits and pieces. I have not done any of the other workouts yet. Which ones need all the extra equipment? Have you done them all yet? Have you settled on a rotation yet?

Linda-the bosu workouts are killer. Of the few I have done, the moves are not complex but I suck some MAJOR wind on them. I was sweating like crazy :eek:

Lori-sorry you are having stomach issues, I found Sprite and crackers to be the best solution especially if it is upper end, if not a banana seemed to help w/ lower end stuff. Hope I don't gross you out. And it makes total sense, I need to get that DVD out again, I really liked it.

Theresa, Explode Amped and Load require the slingshot and the tubing with handles along with the other items (extra bosu, extra ball, weighted ball) Most of this I have been able to get around. Also there is sections on these that you would have the equipment for. I have plenty of stability balls but think the weighted one will work better for some moves. I did wear weighted gloves and do some of the work that way.

Cheryl - Nice job on LIC circuit. I'm looking forward to that one because I've never done the whole workout before. :eek: Glad you are dropping pounds, I'm not. :confused: You'd think with all this endurance and cardio I'd be dropping a few pounds but nope, nothing.

Theresa - I don't have a Bosu, would I be able to do the workout without one? And yes, I heard Josef is making three different MMA style workouts. I cannot wait!!!

Lori - I'm sorry about your GI problem, that is bad and has to be very uncomfortable. I'm glad you are feeling ok today. I cannot believe it's snowing where you are. What state do you live in?

Linda - Nice job with P90X legs. I like that workout too and need to get it out again. I don't remember it making my hamstrings hurt, though. But I know I was always sore afterwards.

Diane Sue - Nice workouts again! You are crazy. I think you are right about the calorie burn with CKBC versus Imax 3. I remember doing Imax 3 one time and was disappointed at the calorie burn after all that high impact. It's definitely not one of my favorites.

Theresa - Nah. Hard to gross me out, I have a 12 yr. old son ;) . Thank you for the suggestions - very much. It's been weird. I'll feel fine and then, :confused: ... Kinda comes in waves. I'm wondering if this is my own fault. I ignored the lettuce recall warning. I will try your tips.

Debbie - We live in the Panhandle Area of Nebraska. I miss Colorado (lived there most of my life), but this is a relatively small town and a pretty good (safe) place to raise a kid. I can't believe we got snow either :confused: Glad I didn't plant flowers this weekend.

Diane Sue - Your tornado comment - That struck me as so FUNNY. Truly, I did "LOL!" Inexpensive travel option. Much better leg room than airplanes ;) . Also (for you or Theresa), Debbie asked a good question: the workouts you're doing sound great, but I don't have a Bosu either. Do you think one could them without one?

Linda - Thanks. It's better than yesterday ... I think ... usually ... :confused: Are you still going the lighter/giant set route with legs? If so, how are you liking that approach?

I did get in a workout. An older CIA: Criss Cross Cardio. It's primarily kickboxing with Caopeira drills and balance moves for the last 20 minutes. The total workout time was 67 minutes. It's not super intense (which was fine for today), but has grown on me. I find it very fun now but the first couple times I did it, I wasn't too impressed. I subbed in kb practice (swings) between the balance moves at the end. My stomach still feels kinda "funky." Just hoping this (and the bloomin' SNOW :mad: ) go away soon.

Have a good afternoon!

Lori

Debbie-I totally think you could use your step (especially a high step) for the Burst workout. It's sort of Imax style w/ moves and then a blast. If you go to the bosu website, they have a clip up. They were having a really good sale on all 5 of the DVD's, but I'm not sure if that is still going on or not.

Lori-that sounds like a neat workout, especially the Caopeira drill...wth are those? Hope your tummy starts to feel better soon.

Diane Sue-good info to know on the workouts. I was wondering how to get around the double bosu stuff. Let me know what you think of your slingshot. Did you order it from them?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I'm off to bed soon......yea it's only 5:00, but I have to get up at 2:30 am so I'm feeling kinda tired.

Thanks for all of the info about Core Max versus the Terminator/Gauntlet DVD. My DH actually found Core Max on Fit TV and taped it today - nice....

Lori - Stomach troubles are really no fun.........sorry you are feeling lousy. As for the snow, I have no pity (j/k) because we have had snow flurries, and some measureable snow at camp (in Upstate New York). We also had 90 degree weather only a week and a half ago......go figure. All of the old-timers (alzheimers?) in the area say "if you don't like the weather in the North East - wait 5 minutes". I'm beginning to relate to that...

Diane Sue - WOW.....you are amazing with all of your workouts. I wish I could get in 2 hours even 1-2 days a week, but I just can't up any earlier! Also, I like the Bosu workouts and did them exclusively for quite a while. They kick your butt!!

Debbie - How is your knee feeling? I think I started dropping weight because I have been REALLY careful with the junk food and excessive eating (and drinking). I have cut my martini's to only 2-3 (sometimes 5 ;)) about one or two nights a week. Also, your awesome rotation seems to be working very well for me. :)

Theresa - Thanks for the info and the link!! I am DEFINITELY going to try this because I don't always drink a protein shake in the mornings after my workout. I usually try to have one about 1-2 times a week, so maybe that's why I'm so sore.

Linda - Nice workout with P90X. That one is a killer!! I think I did it way to many times, however, because I find myself saying the cues before Tony.

I hope I didn't miss anyone....Have a great night!!

Cheryl :)

Debbie and Lori, I have done pretty much all of the Bosu Explode workouts. Some things I think can be done with a step or on the floor but some I do believe would be much better with a Bosu. I used my high step set at 10 in, then dropped it to 8 in because putting pressure on the Bosu lowers it a little. That works for me as a second platform, But I think you need the bounce of the Bosu to push off on some moves.

Cheryl, these Explode workouts do really kick butt. I am having fun with them. Did you use all of the extra equipment?

Theresa, yes I ordered directly from Bosu's site. They had something similar at Perform better but it was really long. On one of the segments on Amped you are just doing figure 8 runs around two Bosu's so it was easy on that segment to use the high step and the Bosu.

Lori, I like Criss Cross Cardio. I have not done it in quite awhile. It is not really intense but is kind of a fun Kickbox workout. Good idea to up the intensity at the end a bit:)

Debbie, I never did get great calorie burns on the I max workouts. I guess it is supposed to have an afterburn effect?? I get better burns on other workouts for the same amount of time. Funny how you can feel like you are doing so much impact that it is a killer workout and the calories are not better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.