Hardcore Fitness Maniac Hotties for 4/10

orphylea

Cathlete
Hello? Where are the maniacs??

Did STS Disc #9 this morning- legs. It was a good workout with the plie squats, alternating hands on the weight- my favorite! I also did the extended stretch.

Be back in a bit.

Janie: You asked about the black bean brownies. They were just OK- got the recipe off of the recipe board here. I changed it a bit. I need to change some stuff around I think and work with it. It has possibilities. :)

Black Bean Brownies
2 cups cooked black beans, drained
½ cup egg whites
1 T. canola oil
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
4 T. cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup splenda
Mix ingredients together in a blender/ food processor until pureed.
Pour into a Pam sprayed 9x9 cake pan.

Bake 350 approximately 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.

Total recipe:
729 calories / 102 carbs / 18 fat / 44 protein / 29 fiber

Cut into 6 brownies, each brownie:
122 calories / 17 carbs / 3 fat / 7 protein / 5 fiber

La la la, talking to myself. :) I made this last night and loved it! So did DH. It turned out better than I thought it would and the portion was pretty big for the calories.

Cheese and Refried Bean Casserole
1.5 cups fat-free cottage cheese
2/3 cup canned corn
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon cumin
A little taco seasoning mix
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies, drained
2 cups salsa
8 corn tortillas
1 can (16 oz) fat-free refried beans
1/4 cup non fat cheddar cheese

In a blender or food processor, place the cottage cheese and spices and blend until smooth. Stir in the fat free cheddar cheese, corn and diced chilies and set aside. On the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish spread 1 cup salsa. Place 4 tortillas evenly over the salsa. Place the beans evenly over the tortillas. Place 4 tortillas evenly over the beans. Sprea6d the cheese mixture evenly over the tortillas. Over the cheese mixture, spread the last cup of salsa. Cover the pan with foil and bake in oven 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove cover and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 4.

Entire recipe:
1289 calories / 236 carbs / 5 fat / 90 protein / 34 fiber

Each piece if serving 4:
322 calories / 59 carbs / 1.3 fat / 22.5 protein / 8.5 fiber

Morning Crazies! Today is a rest day. I'll be doing Slim Series Cool it off. I've been doing Slim Series all week and also went on a killer bike ride on Tuesday (would have rode more, but the weather here has sucked!). I swear that bike ride, which is just in the foothills by my house, is one of the hardest we do. Took 2 1/2 hrs and went 16 miles, it's basically uphill both ways (seems like it anyways):p. We will be heading out for another mountain biking weekend in Fruita Co.tomorrow. Down 1 lb. this week...yeah! 1lb.is a freakin' biggy in my world anymore.:p:rolleyes:

Janie-Nice to see you back! :cool: I'm also an Adam fan! He has an awesome voice and I can't wait to hear what he does next week. He is definitely the best on the show. I also have high hopes for Allison. I think she great for only 16!

Patti- You crack me up all talkin' to yourself this morning.:D I copied your refried bean recipe. Looks like it's a good one. I loves me some Mexican food.:eek: (fat face smiley)

Last edited:
La la la, talking to myself, like Patti :p.

Shana- I'm right there with you with all your thoughts yesterday. Everyday is a different day. It's like, I'm fat, I'm skinny, I'm puffy, I'm strong, I'm uber puffy, I'm feeling just right, blah, blah, blah. It never ends! My goal right now is to lose 5 lbs.... that's all I ask, just 5 measly lbs. It's soooo hard! I bet these thoughts never enter a guys head.:rolleyes: The B@st@*ds!:D

I'm sure I'll be back with more jaber, cuz I'm up early.

Janie: I forgot you asked about my Go Wear Fit- here is a great link from OD on it. If you go to the third page, there if a link to the VF website where a woman gave a great detailed explanation with pictures on how it works.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260478&highlight=wear+fit+body+bugg

Also go to www.gowearfit.com for more info. Basically, it gives me a window on how active I am, how much I'm eating, how many calories I burn and how much I sleep. It's awesome! I have been overweight before, mostly during my awful bedrest pregnancies. I lost a lot of it through Weight Watchers but it taught me the wrong way to eat, IMO. I learned to ignore my body cues and eat a specified amount instead of thinking- am I hungry? What has been my activity level today? I am burning 2800-3000 calories a day and I was trying to live on 1700 or less. Um, no. That won't work. So I am eating more (happily) and have lost a few pounds of the five I wanted to lose. :) If you have more questions, let me know. I keep jabbering on about it. Just ask Shana. :)

I'm also mildly amused that we are all very fit people that workout incredibly hard and yet most of us want to lose about 5 pounds or so. (Yes, I know some of you don't!) :p

Dallys: I have heard of Slim Series but don't know much about it. What's the deal with it?

Ok. I'm back.

So, I've been reading the book "Eat this, Not that" and it's pretty interesting. Since you all were talking about calories yesterday. I found this little excerpt (is that the right word?).

For Example, in 1971 the average American male consumed 2,450 calories a day; the average women, 1,542. But by the year 2000, American men were averaging 2,618 daily calories (up 7 percent), while women were eating 1,877 calories (a whopping 22 percent increase, or 335 more calories every day!)

Gosh! Look at the difference in the women's pecentage increase compared to the men! What happened? Where did we take the wrong road? No wonder we all struggle.

Anyways, the book is interesting if any of you were curious about it. I does show mostly store bought foods for comparisons, but I found it interesting that Kellogs Smart Start and Raisin bran, and Quaker Life and General Mills Basic four were on the don't eat this list and General Mills Cheerios was on the Eat this list, along with Post Shredded Wheat, Kelloggs All-Bran, General Mills Fiber one. They really liked Kashi's Vive cereal. I have never seen that one.

Also on the nut butters list, real peanut butter didn't make it on the eat this list (sorry Diane Sue:p), except for Better'n peanut butter, and a cinamon raisin swirl thing, which really aren't the real thing. The eat this list did have almond butter, Cashew butter, seame tahini, and sunflower butter. Interesting. As for me. I'll stick with the real thing if I want peanut butter. I usually eat almond butter anyway.

Last edited:
Dallys: I have heard of Slim Series but don't know much about it. What's the deal with it?

LOL Patti! Here we are just a talkin' away this morning!

Slim Series is a very light weight high rep endurance type series. Most heavy lifters laugh at it's concept. But for me and my body, it works wonders. There are 5 workouts, all very similar, and one stretch workout. I do them back to back throughout the week for 4 to 6 weeks. I usually lose about 5 lbs of fat and I get a lot of definition in my arms and legs and get a nice whittling off my mid section in a short amount of time. To most people they are too repetitive and boring and they hate the music. But I have always liked them because of how they work for me. To me, they are a great kick-start to losing fat before you do a heavier type rotation or use as a finishing rotation after you've done a heavier one.

My workout today was STS disc 30 shoulders, biceps and triceps. Then I did 10 Minute solution Bootcamp with Amy Bento cardio blasting drills twice using a 10# dumbbell, then the better body stretch followed by STS extended stretch. Total calories burned today was 640. My granddaughter is out of school today for Good Friday so I didn't do much for cardio. I don't really need it anyway:)
STS weights:
w/up sets standing barbell front press 1set 15 reps 35#; 1 set 12 reps 40#
4 tri sets all exercises 7 reps
standing barbell front press 49#(up from 47#)
barbell curl 57# (up from 52#)
flat bench tricep extensions 21# dumbbells

seated lateral raise 16# dumbbells
incline curls on stability ball 21# dumbbells
seated overhead tricep extensions one arm 21# dumbbell

seated rear delts 1 set 16# dumbbells; 3 sets 21's (up from 16's)
seated concentration curls 26# dumbbell(up from 25#)
crossbody kickbacks 21# dumbbell(up from 20#)

Last edited:
Dallys, I also love cashew and almond butter:p Cashew butter is yummy on apple slices.

Patti, that recipe sounds yummy. You don't happen to know what the sodium is in it do you??

Speaking of recipes, Debbie or anyone that has it I would like the zucchini Lasagne recipe if you don't mind.

Hi all! I had an excellent workout this morning. I did Legs and everyone knows how I hate training legs and actually I was dreading it, but once I got started the time just flew. I changed the exercises this time and I think I picked some good ones. Got my HR up big time.

10 minutes on treadmill for warmup

8 sets - 20 seconds on/10 seconds off each exercise

2 minute rest between each set

LEGS
Front Squats:
40# - 8 sets/9-8 reps
***I don't usually do this exercise because when I train heavy I can't put the bar on my shoulders. But since I can go light with this I did them. These felt great, got a great burn in my glutes. HR spiked big time with this.

Alternating Front Lunges:
12's - 8 sets/8 reps each leg
***HR got up there with this one too. Really felt it in my hamstrings and glutes.

Leg Extensions:
50# - 8 sets/12 reps
***Kept these in. Wanted to hit the quads.

Hamstring Press on High Step:
4 risers + 8# med ball in my mid area: 8 sets/14-11 reps
***These really burn after a while. I did both feet on the step at once. Felt them.

Barbell Calf Raises:
50# - 8 sets/17-16 reps
***Turned toes forward, in and out alternating. Need to go heavier here.

Then I jumped on my treadmill for 15 minutes and jogged about .8 miles.

HR STATS:
1 hr. 1 minute total
1 minute below zone
44 minutes in zone
14 minutes above zone
472 calories burned

:eek:

That is all....

Hope you all have a great day!

Diane Sue: Erm, no. I'm in denial about sodium right now. I think if you used low sodium CC and no salt added refried beans and skipped the taco seasoning you would be fine. Good workout! I'm impressed with your tricep weights. Here is the recipe.

Dallys: Ah- sounds interesting. I get the light endurance workouts too- they have their place in my life. I'll add it to my someday list. It keeps growing!

Zucchini Lasagna

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1, 24oz jar low-fat, low-sodium tomato sauce
1# extra lean ground chicken or turkey
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 egg
2 C low fat cottage cheese
1 tsp whole-wheat flour
1/2 C skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
2 1/2 C zucchini (about 2 medium), sliced into 1/4" thick pieces, divided
Preheat oven to 350

In a large nonstick frying pan, saute onion and garlic over medium heat until tender. Add tomato sauce and ground meat, and bring all ingredients to consistent heat for 10 minutes (until browned). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, slighty beat the egg. Stir in cottage cheese, flour and 1/4 C mozzarella cheese. Pour 1/2 of meat-tomato sauce mixture into a 1 1/2 quart roasting pan. Top with 1 1/4 C zucchini slices and cottage cheese mixture. Then cover with remaining meat-tomato sauce mixture and zucchini. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake 10 minutes longer.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Info: makes 6 servings, about 1 2/3 C serving size.
240 calories
3.5g fat
19g carbs
3g fiber
10g sugar
32g protein
530mg sodium
45mg cholesterol

I puree the cottage cheese because I prefer my CC that way.

Patti and Dallys - just talking to themselves...you two are funny :)

Patti - soon, you are going to have to be put in the Diane Sue group with your cooking. Some days, the mood strikes me...others, not so much! I need both of you nearer to me. I did make a good turkey meatloaf. I don't even like meatloaf but I really liked this, and it made a lot so I can just eat that until it is gone and not have to think what to make next, or worry about wimping out on a meal b/c there's nothing to eat. I always keep deli turkey on hand and make really good wraps with these whole wheat, low carb tortillas I found - they have tons of fiber and protein - and I found some turkey that is in the deli section but it just has turkey, salt and sugar in it - no funky stuff. The sodium is very low for turkey and you don't even know the sugar is there but I guess it is needed. It doesn't register on the nutritional label.

Dallys - I love those books. I have all 3 and love reading them. Sometimes, he contradicts himself which I find odd and some of the things I don't necessarily agree with but I still see his point. He's just finding better alternatives. And congrats on the 1 lb - that is not easy to do when you are already so fit. I think we can all attest to that! Like Patti said, interesting we all want about 5 lbs off and it isn't easy, darn it. And no, guys don't ever think about that stuff. DH walks around with his ever expanding gut and doesn't think twice. He has bird legs, no butt, skinny arms but look out midsection...I freak out if I look in the mirror and see any hint of gaining weight, or if my clothes get too tight in the wrong places, or if I just FEEL fat. Oh, to be a man, plus they don't have the hormone issues either that screw with our hot bods. :p

Diane Sue - awesome weights. And yesterday, I got a kick out of you saying you just weren't in the mood so you ran 6 miles...:eek:

Debbie - glad you are enjoying the Tabata still. Don't you like it when you are dreading something and all of a sudden, you are finished and it wasn't so bad after all??!

OK, so workout yesterday was lots of ab work and then I got on TM with weight vest and did varying incline levels (it had been a long time since I did that and really enjoyed it - kept reading that Ally was doing the incline work with a vest so thought I would do that again for a change) - did this for about 25 minutes and then got on stepmill - without vest- for another while (don't remember how long but went just over a mile at a slower pace and did not hold on at all), then cooled down on TM. Burned 415 calories, avg HR was 150, max HR was 173 I think - this is from memory since stupid, darned Outlook is not working and that is where I put the info. I do remember the calorie and avg, and max was in the 170s from the stepmill.

Have a super, happy Friday and thanks for all of the support yesterday and today - it has really, really made me feel better about myself and the changes my body goes through.

Patti, thanks for the recipe. I put both the refried bean one and zucchini Lasagne in word so I can try them. Not sure about finding no salt refried beans. Maybe at the Nutrition Market. I will get the rest of the ingredients this weekend for the lasagne. Zucchini is always around because I pick it up everytime I go to the grocery store. Works well for a lot of recipes.

Shana, the reason I was able to push the mood and run on the treadmill was so I could finish reading Nora Roberts the Pagan Stone which was the last in a trilogy. I just have to stop reading when I do a fast sprint:D Time went by pretty quickly.

Finished Cool it off. I warmed up with Lauren Brooks Joint Mobility and Quick Kettlebell work. Feeling fine now. Made some homemade sourdough rosemary rye bread yesterday and had a slice of that toasted with feta, avocado and tomatoes for lunch... and a small homemade oatmeal cranberry cookie.

Dallys - I love those books. I have all 3 and love reading them. Sometimes, he contradicts himself which I find odd and some of the things I don't necessarily agree with but I still see his point. He's just finding better alternatives. And congrats on the 1 lb - that is not easy to do when you are already so fit. I think we can all attest to that! Like Patti said, interesting we all want about 5 lbs off and it isn't easy, darn it. And no, guys don't ever think about that stuff. DH walks around with his ever expanding gut and doesn't think twice. He has bird legs, no butt, skinny arms but look out midsection...I freak out if I look in the mirror and see any hint of gaining weight, or if my clothes get too tight in the wrong places, or if I just FEEL fat. Oh, to be a man, plus they don't have the hormone issues either that screw with our hot bods. :p

Maybe we should start a "lose those last 5 lbs." check-in.;)

Dallys, I also love cashew and almond butter:p Cashew butter is yummy on apple slices.
That's my favorite way to eat it too.:cool:

Hamstring Press on High Step:
4 risers + 8# med ball in my mid area: 8 sets/14-11 reps
***These really burn after a while. I did both feet on the step at once. Felt them.

These are ever more painful using Valslides. OMG! Worse than the Stability ball way!

Shana, the reason I was able to push the mood and run on the treadmill was so I could finish reading Nora Roberts the Pagan Stone which was the last in a trilogy. I just have to stop reading when I do a fast sprint:D Time went by pretty quickly.

I don't think I could walk let alone run gracefully enough to read while on the treadmill. Unless the writing was all magnified. That's a whole 'nother talent in it's self.

Good Afternoon,

Did Disc 15 - Back and biceps in the STS Series. One min. rest after each set. Had a fantastic homemade protein drink afterward.

Lat pulldowns with band
T-Pull with band
Y's with band
Pull Ups Overhand modified
Chinups Med. Grip underhand modified
Chinups underhand modified
One Arm Rows 25 lbs. 12/10/8/TF each side
Barbell Rows 45 lbs. 12/10/8/TF
Deadlifts (barbell) 45 lbs. 12/10/TF
Barbell Curl 40 lbs. 12/10/8/TF
Seated Alternating Curl (dumbells) 20 lbs. in each hand 12/10/8
Preacher Curl on Ball 10 lbs. 8/12/10/TF
Abs from Ab Hits 7 min.

Patti, Thank you for the recipes, I'm going to try them out after this Easter weekend. I especially liked the info for each recipe. Also thank you for the info about Go Wear Fit. I might have to buy one. We'll see.

Dallys, Have a fantastic time biking this weekend. Congratulation for your 1lb. loss. "Eat this, Not That" does sound interesting. Are you an enabler?LOL;) There is a lot of people that like the Slim Series. One day I just might get it too. I also make homemade sourdough. What kind of culture do you use" I have a variety of them, ranging from Africa to San Fransisco cultures. I love making them!

Diane Sue, You also have come up in your weight lifting. I'm really impressed! I can't read and be on the Treadmill at the same time. I'm not that coordinated LOL:D.

Debbie, Great Workout! WOW! Did you ever figure out your crochet pattern problem? Hope you have.

Shana Banana, I've never tried wearing a vest while on the treadmill. Will try that out next time. I bet it makes a heck of a difference.

Have a great Easter everyone,

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Janie - I forgot to explain to you about the Banana part. It is the way that I tell people how to pronounce my name and it really helps them remember it. Often, in person, when just meeting someone, people can only remember the Banana part so I answer to that too :) And a very, very dear friend has called me Banana for years. So, just figured it was something different to use here, and in case I ever meet any of you, you will not mispronounce my name :D The meowracer part comes from when I used to race motorcycles, in case you were wondering about that.

Just stopping in real quick before I am back out the door today. Today was Legs

IMAX 2 through first blast for warmup

8 sets - 20 seconds on/10 seconds off each exercise

Ran during 2 minute rest between each set

LEGS
Squats:
27's - 8 sets/10-9 reps
***up 2#

Alternating Rear Lunges:
25's - 8 sets/12-10 reps
***Up 5#, hled the down position.

Leg Extensions:
22.5# - 8 sets/10-7 reps
***I am such a wimp at these, but up 2.5 #

Hamstring Curls:
22.5#- 8 sets/9=7 reps
***Wimp here too, but up 2.5#

DB Calf Raises:
27's# - 8 sets/17-16 reps
***Turned toes forward, in and out alternating. Up 2#.

Then first combo from Step Blast and the stretch. Workout was 1:07 and burned 570 calories.

The meowracer part comes from when I used to race motorcycles, in case you were wondering about that.
You are so way cool to have raced motorcycles!:cool:
Dallys, Have a fantastic time biking this weekend. Congratulation for your 1lb. loss. "Eat this, Not That" does sound interesting. Are you an enabler?LOL;) There is a lot of people that like the Slim Series. One day I just might get it too. I also make homemade sourdough. What kind of culture do you use" I have a variety of them, ranging from Africa to San Fransisco cultures. I love making them!
Janie

Thanks Janie. :)
I've got to get packing so we can leave early in the morning. Oh, and yes, I've been known to enable a time or two.:)

My husband and I made our own Starter (didn't know it was also called a culture, that shows you how new I am to this). We've gone through a lot of trial and error (mostly error). We finally have one that works (I think we have zero yeast spores in our house). We are pretending it's real sour and from SF :p. I want to go to SF just to get a sour dough starter, lol. How did you get yours? I would LOVE to have some of the good stuff (sounds like I'm talking about drugs here). I just started getting into baking bread. I've been using a very easy No-Knead recipe that is really good and has a great crust.

Last edited:
I went to the store and got stuff for the zucchini lasagne. I also picked up those take along jif peanut butter things. I know it is not the healthier kind but I figured I could put some in the trailer and use one for the Muscle chow recipe without having a whole jar to tempt me.

Dallys, I got some of that Vive Cereal at Walmart today. Funny it has probiotics, ginger and dried broccoli in it. It tastes yummy and you would never know that there was broccoli in it.

Janey, nice workout. STS has helped me to push harder to go a little heavier each week.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.