Hardcore Check in October 14,2010 Thursday

WD

Cathlete
I am getting us started. I think I got the date right today:) Today I will do cardio and some ab work. Hopefully a little more stretching too. I am not sure what cardio yet. It does me no good to choose the night before. I need my coffee and to see how energetic I feel first. I would kind of like to work on Amy's new step some more:)

Good Thursday morning! Today will be Burn Circuit 3. Shoulders, lower body/calves. Shoulders are not my fave, but not the least liked. I do like working them when I can see the muscle def tho. Got some housework and have to run up to my sister's to get her pack and play for the baby.

DS- wow, I am sure that is a really tough decision for you and your DH. How long does he generally have to be away? Hugs!

Roselyn- I LOVE Step Blast. Been a while since I have done that one!

Today was Legs and Calves and I had an excellent workout again. Again, I cut the 25 reps back to 15 and increased the weights I used for that set. I really like it this way much better.

2 minutes rest between each set except only enough rest to lower weights for the 15 repper sets.

LEGS:
Squats - 65#/12 reps - 2 sets (warmup)
Squats - 120#/6 reps - 3 sets
Squats - 90#/15 reps
***Went up 10# with the 6 rep sets and really felt that 120#. Haven't done that in a long time.

Leg Press Station - 195#/6 reps - 3 sets
Leg Press Station - 145#/15 reps
***Went up 10# with 6 rep set.

Leg Extensions - 90#/6 reps - 3 sets
Leg Extensions - 65#/15 reps
***Went up 5# for 6 rep sets. 15 reps was a burner!

Elevated Deadlifts - 100#/6 reps - 3 sets
***Went up 5#. I can't believe I am up to 100# with deads. I don't believe I've ever gone this high since I injured my low back with this exercise back in the early 90's. I felt very strong with this one, could have done more reps.

Lying Leg Curls - 57#/6 reps - 3 set
Lying Leg Curls - 43#/15 reps
***Up 2# and that was tough at 57#. 15 reppers burned.

CALVES:
Standing Barbell Calf Raises - 125#/25 reps - 4 sets
***I did toes forward, toes out, toes in and toes forward with these. Really got a great burn here. Went up 5#.

That is all....

Diane Sue-I am sorry you might have to make that tough decision again....that would surely keep me up at night too. I hope you got some more sleep last night :D I had to laugh at when you choose workouts b/c I am exactly the same way

Roselyn-nice work on step blast, I did one of the combos the other day and I think I need to break it out for the full workout.

Maeghan-Lord I hope I spelled that correct :D I like the unique spelling. And yay for you, you have really been getting in some good workouts!

Debbie-Your leg weights are always impressive to me :eek: Was the 4th set of 25 just too much?

No workout here yesterday, I had a very angry gut. I am going to be gentle with the eats today. I am not sure if it was a bug, something I ate, or supplements....but it was not pretty :( I have plans to do a circuit workout, but again it will all depend on my belly's cooperation :D

For my workout I chose Amy"s Step challenge 4 nrg power premix. This is w/up combo 2.power ups.combo 3 power ups. Combo 4, power ups. Cd/str. 47 minutes, 375 cal, HR 138.avg 167 max. This was a good mix. I then did Step Challenge 3abs 1 14 min 84 cal 15 &. 20 kettlebells, I finished with STS med ball abs 10 min ,56 cal , 15 med ball except on the circle around part at the end . workout was 71 min , calories 515. I may do some yoga or stretching when I get home. Maybe the bonus from Kimberly's Combat Surge.

Good Morning -

Roselyn - Step Blast is a good one. Well done :) I haven't done it in about a year because I used to do it so much. Maybe it's had a long enough rest and I should put it back into a rotation.

Debbie - Nice workout :) Like the way you adjusted the reps. Are you still thinking about extending this rotation?

Theresa - Sorry about the grumpy gut. That gets me once in awhile and I uually don't know why. Doesn't last long, thank goodness. Hope you're feeling better :)

Diane Sue - Like the way you mixed it up again this morning -- yet another great workout. I'm usually the same way about choosing cardio. I'll often plug "suggestions" into my workout manager ahead of time, but there is ALWAYS the option to change :).

Yesterday, I did Plyo Legs week 4. Felt really good when I was done, so decided to add on Plyo Legs week 3. That’s a lot of volume and not something I’d make a habit of -- wanted to just try it once. Also week 3 has always seemed significantly ‘gentler’ than the other weeks to me (which is why I chose it). It went very fast and really wasn’t as tough as I thought it might be. I went pretty conservative on weight choices so it really didn't feel like overkill. I do kind of wish I’d just repeated week 4 (which went like this):

Lateral step ups - 50 lbs. (used a barbell)
Sit and jump ups - 10 lbs.
Walking lunges - two 25 lb. dbs
Side tap lunge - 2 5 lb. dbs.
Alternating side lunge ( subbed in the Circuit Blast version w/ jump in center) 15 lb. kb
1 leg deadlift - 30 lb. db
1 legged squat thrust w/ jump
Squats - two 40 lb. dbs and a 20 lb weighted vest
Lateral hop over step
Forward back lunge and squat for 2 counts
Straddle down jump up on high step
Stiff legged deadlifts - two 30 lb dbs
Squat jumps
Static lunges - two 30 lb dbs.
180’ turns to right - 8 lbs
Sit and slide - 17 lb db ( I FINALLY have learned to really like this move)
Plyo jacks
Plie squats 55lb db.
Tuck jumps
1 leg elevated lunge - two 25 lb. dbs
180’ turns to the left - 8 lbs
Sit and stand - 18 lbs
Power scissors
Front lunge w/ kick two 15 lb dbs
Air jacks

I didn’t print out a list of weeks 3’s exercises, so I don‘t have them handy but you get the idea. Actually felt very good when I finished. My legs felt loose and relaxed the rest of the day. Go figure. There are so many changes and no single exercise lasts for long. It really was a lot of fun. I also did Baptiste’s Power Vinyassa Flow last night (about an hour long). Almost backed out of that one but I’m really working to more consistently include yoga (or the program included in Pavel‘s Book, Relax Into Stretch), along with meditation. If that means doing it late at night, so be it ( odds are pretty good that sleeplessness would have me up anyway).

Today, a shorter interval cardio on the elliptical , and triceps. Would also like to get in some work on pistols and Turkish get ups (probably use the Keith Weber track). I think that is all.

Have a great day and hi to everyone else.

Lori

Morning Guys:D

Last night, I did GS Biceps and Triceps. I can not find my work sheet with all the number of reps for each exercises hm.. I did my bests:rolleyes:

BB curls
(2 sets of 10) #40
DB 2 ct crazy eights
(2 sets of 8) 10’s
In and outs
(2 set of 8) 15/10
(I sub concentration curls for in&outs. I don’t like doing cc’s bc I never feel the work in my bi’s so I did my own thang)
DB Curls
(2 sets of 10) #10’s
DB biceps curls w/reverse down
(2 sets of 12) #10’s + bonus
DB Hammer curls
(2 sets of 12) #15/10

This morning, I did GS Legs. Tonight, floor work and stretching.

BB Squats:
7x’s 16 reps each 40/40/45/45/50/50/55
DB Front lunges:
3 sets of 16 15/20/15
DB Pile squats:
3 sets 16 15/15/15
DB Leg press:
3 sets of 16 10/10/15
BB Dead Lift:
2 sets of 16 55/55
DB Calf raises
(2 sets of 40’s) #20’s

Diane – My first protein smoothie I mix spinach, protein BSN, green super food, 1c vanilla soy milk and crushed ice. Today for my second protein drink 1 scoop of BSN mixing with water, needing to cut back on calories intake. I like Amy's Step workouts they are challenging. Nice Job:)

Debbie – Fabulous leg work, closing eyes, wishing I had your equipment;)

Roselyn –Nice job:)
Theresa –I hope you feel better:)
Megan – I hate working shoulders too, I just don’t feel the need, maybe once a week. I feel like I work them when doing a KB w/o and when doing push-ups, glad you had a great workout:rolleyes:

Real quick check-in....I did do my Burn 3 this morning. My shoulders got pretty toasty! I can feel DOMS, especially in my abs today! BBL!

Teddy- nice workout and your eats sound good, I just worry about soymilk b/c it can inhibit the thyroid and mess w/ estrogen. I switched to almond milk & love it :D. Just a thought

Lori :eek: :eek: :eek: I can't believe you did 2 plyo workouts :D

I'm sorry that I don't have time to do personals today, but have read all your posts. Excellent workouts everyone! Crazy busy here at work. And tomorrow I'm taking a rest day because I'm headed to Amish country with my cousins! Really looking forward to that. So I'll check in with you all on Saturday!

Have a great day! :cool:

Yesterday, I did good, after I finished my workout I dare to put anything in my mouth, no nibbling, no sweets, I did really good:cool:

Today's Eatery
1. Protein green smoothie (same ingredients)
2. 3 slices of eggplant, 1 thin whole wheat bread, one packet of ketchup
3. Veggie salad w/carrots, walnuts, 2 boiled egg white, red pepper, croutons and 2 Tbsp of FF raspberry dressing 3 tbsp turkey chili
4. Protein drink and apple (this is where I am now)
5. Store brought Turkey pot pie

Theresa – I am full bloom Menopausal. I walk this earth looking for estrogen:):eek::rolleyes: I was drinking LF coconut milk, I tried almond not a huge fan. I really need all the estrogen, I can get:eek:

Debbie – Happy shopping. I know you will find some good bargains;)

Last edited:
I thought that I would get back here sooner. Trying to get things done since dh is off tomorrow. Running to and from schools and picking up items the grocery store did not have yesterday. I would still like to get to the nutrition center sometime but I have my dental cleaning and check in the morning.
Eats today so far were:
Early am preworkout I had coffee with half a packet of dark chocolate coco mix. I probably need to change this. The second cup was coffee:)
B-Oatmeal with almond butter, pure maple syrup, vanilla whey, and almond butter.
L-pineapple, vanilla whey, and greek yogurt. Some leftover turkey breast.
D- not sure. I have my grandson chopping some stuff from the garden for salsa and also purchased some ingredients for other recipes I would like to try. I have lots of turkey breast left too.

Maeghan, dh talked to them today and I guess he is leaving Nov:confused: I hate the sudden quiet when he leaves. I guess I have the dog to talk to LOL The family tries to help make up for it. We have done this before and I know I will be fine. I was just hoping we would not do it again. I hope this winter is better than last year:eek:

Debbie, nice workout as usual. Enjoy your rest:D

Teddy, your eats sound good:D It looks like you got caught back up on the workouts.

Lori, wow, 2 Plyo legs workouts together. Nice workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.