Getting Back in the Game - 3/11

jodijodi

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I did go to the Boot Camp class this AM. It was hard, but I held my own! It was rather rough on my wrist, though: lots of pushups, tricep dips, tricep pushups, planks, etc. I did my best to modify and use dumbbells as handles when possible, but the wrist is still a bit sore. Not sure I'm going to be able to do that three times per week. But since it's not that expensive, maybe I'll just do Mon and Fri, which would give my wrist some time to rest in between. So I'm still deciding, but I think I'll do it.

The trainer was very complimentary at the end...he seemed impressed with my fitness level. He wanted to know what I do, and was surprised when I said I work out with Cathe DVDs at home. (Of course he wants me to sign up for the class, so I'm taking the compliments with a grain of salt!)

Robin, glad to hear that the brisket was yummy. Sounds great!! And of course the sweet potato pie is good for you. Sweet potatoes are very healthy, right? :p

Michele, hope you're feeling better today! And that you can lift your arms again, LOL! I know what you mean about having stuff pile up while you were busy with your DFIL...I have had the same problem here too.

Mary, I'm pretty sure I've had those Costco carnitas...yummy!! We do meals like that a lot. The kids usually eat ground turkey in theirs, which I'm sure is healthier than the pork.

Diane, hope you're able to find a good time to work out. Sometimes it seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day!

Dana, I have trouble with the paper plates also (when I did the 1RMs, and last year at the RT Cathe had us use small rags under our feet). I always feel like my hip joints are going to give out on me. I may have to just modify when I do STS.

It feels so weird to have my workout done for the day!! Have a great one everybody!!:)

Last edited:
Jodi - I'm impressed you made it up so early to the bootcamp. Sounds like a good workout. I think its fine to do just M and F, still a good price. I was at Academy yesterday (trying to find a random gift for DH - we are doing the Love Dare book and I am supposed to buy him a little gift) and I almost got him these handle bars made for pushups. They were only about $10-15 and do the same thing a dumbbell would but has a better grip and probably more stable.

Robin - The brisket sounds so good. I don't think I have ever had sweet potato pie, but I love sweet potato so I'm sure I would love it too. Come on, its healthy, its made of sweet potato! ;)

Michele - I hope you get over your cold soon. I am finally getting over mine today I think. Crossing my fingers. Do you use Zicam? It really seems to help me when I get a cold and prevents it from turning into something too yucky.

I didn't workout yesterday again. I worked a little later than usual, then had to pick up DH a gift after work (doing the Love Dare book, don't know if y'all have heard of that), and then DH got home really late so just messed up the evening.

There is supposed to be rain and/or a cold front tonight so I don't think I will be running today. So I think I am going to plan on 30 day shred video (30 min circuit video) after DH gets home from work.

Diane

Jodi ~ ^5 to you for getting your workout done already. You should be fine doing Monday and Friday for your BC class.

Robin ~ glad to hear that your brisket turned out delish! I’ve never had sweet potato pie either. Does it taste like pumpkin pie at all? I can’t believe your package blow to the bushes. Good thing you looked there or who knows when you’d have found it.

Mary ~ good job with your workout yesterday! Your dinner sounds very good. My family would never eat that b/c they are so darn snooty. Esp my DH. We don’t have a Cocso’s in the hickville I live in. LOL.

Michele ~ were you able to get in your workout last night after your technical difficulties? How’s the to-do-list coming along?

Diane ~ I’ve never heard about the book that you and your DH are doing. Hopefully you’ll get to do your workout after your DH comes home from work. I work out in the evenings – usually around 7:00-7:30. I get home from work around 5:00, then it takes me about an hour to get dinner done, clean up, bath Gannon, help Gabe with his homework and by that time it is closer to 7:30. That is the only time I can fit it in. I wish with all my heart that I could do an a.m. workout but that just doesn’t work. I’d have to start it at 4:00-4:15a.m. and that is way too early for me. You’ll find something that fits with your lifestyle. I try not to get upset when I miss a workout. Things happen and you just have to go with the flow!

I don’t know if it was b/c I was so tired or what, but last night’s workout, STS 10, just about killed me. LOL I was never in my life so glad that it was over. My arms were so heavy I could barely lift them. No DOMS today though. Today’s workout is a 7-mile walk. 2 miles at lunch and then 5 miles while my son is at his religious ed class tonight.

Have a great day ladies! :cool:

Good morning!!

I'm just getting ready to do STS Disc 2 -- back and triceps :eek:. If it's anything like disc 1, I expect I'll be paralyzed from the neck down by this time tomorrow -- LOL!!!

I did not do my cardio yesterday. I couldn't stop coughing long enough to get through a workout. I'm still coughing today but it's much better and less frequent. I have ab DOMS from coughing, for crying out loud!! :p

Jodi - WOO HOO for getting up and going to Boot Camp!! AWESOME JOB!!! I think you're wise to keep it to Monday and Friday for now. The last thing you want to do is aggravate your wrist. If it bothers you too much you can always quit. There's just no easy way to do push ups and planks when you have wrist issues ;).

You've given me an idea! I wonder if I should check into a boot camp class to take me from STS to the RT. My last STS workout will be July 10. Hmmmm....

Diane - I actually never heard of the Love Dare book so I Googled it. I've been meaning to see the movie, Fireproof, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll rent it this weekend and DH and I can watch it together. I'm kind of intrigued by the book. How long have you been following it? Do you find it worthwhile? Who leads the Shred workout? I've never tried Zicam. I always mean to pick it up at the drugstore but I always forget to get it. You're supposed to take it at the start of symptoms, right?

Dana - I think you have the right attitude about your workouts. Do your best and forget the rest. If you allow yourself to get upset over what you can't accomplish then it just serves to derail the whole program -- at least that's what always happens to me. It's always better to do SOMETHING as opposed to nothing. I'm very scared about Friday's workout :eek:. It'll be my first STS leg workout and I'm sure I won't be able to walk for a week.

Robin - I'm going to have to make a brisket now -- LOL!! OMG I can't stop thinking about it! I haven't felt like cooking AT ALL. I've been so tired and run down that I just don't have the energy to grocery shop and cook. I've been relying heavily on the pre-made meals at the grocery store. They actually taste pretty good and are fairly clean. Once I build myself back up to my former vigor I'll return to the kitchen. Holy crap -- it's a good thing you thought to look in the bushes for your package!! :eek:

Hello Mary -- what are you up to today!? :)

Alrighty, I'm off to set up my weights for STS back and triceps!

Last edited:
Hi gang. Just finished 4DS Boot Camp, Tri and Bi, and a shower. Whew. I think that's the hardest of the 4DS workouts.

Jodi, doesn't it feel great to have your workout done! Hopefully your wrist will get better. You can do Mon and Fri and add the other day if you feel up to it. Or use it as a backup day if you miss one of the others.

Diane, I never heard of that book. I'll have to google it. Is it kind of a couple therapy book? We did a couples weekend seminar at church a few years ago. It was worthwhile, but I'm sure I've forgotten all the things I learned.

Mary, I'm LOL at Dana's comment about Hicksville. We live in the same general area. And yet we've never met!!! Someday.

Ya hear me, Dana? Someday. I sure couldn't workout as late as you. It's practicaly my bedtime by then.

Michele, sure hope you can comb your hair tomorrow. Do you think you may have a kind of post tramatic depression? You went through so many terrible things so close together. That would certainly cause you to be run down.

I think DD and I are going to head to a second hand store down the road a bit. Just for something to do.

Michele - enjoy your workout. I always enjoy working back. Don't worry - you'll do fine w/the legs.

Robin - I know, we live so close. My DH never goes up to your neighbor's house. If he did, I'd tag along and pop in to say hi. Ya never know!

I just got back from my walk and it is so nice outside. I think I'm taking an hour of vacation time and getting out of here early to go to the grocery store. It is so much easier going by myself then taking the kids.

My goodness you are all up so early today! It is only 10:26 am in my neck of the woods!!! :p

I did an oldy but goody this morning -- Leaner Legs (and the abs)!!! Pretty tough stuff, but thank God I seemed to not have to work as hard as the last time I did it, uh...maybe 6 months ago! I'll have to see how my legs feel tomorrow.

Jodi - Awesome job at the boot camp class. I am not sure how I would do actually working out in front of people! Yikes. I have had trouble with my right wrist and it is starting to act up again. I have to really watch how I use it and move it. But I use it all day, every day and it is my dominant hand. ??

Robin - I must have missed a post from yesterday regarding your brisket, so I will have to go back and look for it. Sounds like that hunk-o-beef turned out good!!!!! I just might have to try it now. Good job on 4DS w/o. The tricep/bicep section really gets me too. My triceps must not be too strong b/c I am dying at the end. :(

Diane - I have heard of the Love Dare book (and DH and I watched the Fireproof movie). We have several sets of friends that are doing the Love Dare. Have fun with it. Is your DH doing it for you also? Have you seen the other Sherwood movies? We loved Facing the Giants. I agree with everyone, please do not stress about your workouts. This is just a different time in your life and things are ever changing :)

Dana - Hickville eh?! I live in a small town now, so we have to go into the big city (pop. 125k) for the big stores, like Costco. It is good, because I don't go there and spend money I shouldn't be spending. I love Costco's coffee though and you cannot bet their prices!

Michele - You crack me up! :D I love hearing how you are doing with STS!! I can relate to the paralized feeling (from other w/os) There was a thread in OD a little while back about not feeling good unless you have DOMS. I like DOMS, but I like to be able to move and sit down w/o holding my breath!!

Today my plans are school, visiting relative in hospital, library to see children's exhibit about the Oregon Trail (interactive, hands-on type of thing), then fabric store for material for our apron project tomorrow!! Busy day. DH might take one of the girls swimming tonight. He is trying to teach them to swim (DD7 is getting pretty good)!

Have a super great day all!

About the Love Dare book, it is a Christian marriage book that gives you daily "dares" to do to. We are on day 6 I think and both DH and I are doing it. Nothing wrong with our marriage or anything, I just heard a lot about the book on the radio and about the movie Fireproof (need to see that and the other movie you mentioned Mary) so thought it would be fun. Today we are supposed to ask our spouse to tell us 3 things that we do that bother them, and not react by being defensive or justifying our behavior. Not quite as fun as buying little gifts or calling each other in the middle of the day dares :( But it is nice to focus on our marriage for a little while. It has been easy to forget lately since we have been so focused on Ella for the past year and 1/2.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.