Getting Back in the Game

jodijodi

Cathlete
Miss Lee and I were discussing how with everything we've had going on in our lives lately, we haven't been working out much. So we're starting a check in to encourage each other to get our strength and endurance back up. Anyone who's trying to get back to a regular exercise routine is welcome to join us!

So I'll start: I did PUB this afternoon. I have definitely lost some endurance, and some strength as well. I had to go down on some of the weights from where I was. But at least I didn't have to go back to where I was when I first did PUB oh so long ago. I didn't do the abs, though. I was pretty spent just doing the weights.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do abs, and maybe a short step workout. I'm guessing I'm going to have pretty bad DOMS. And I want my legs to be ready for CCPP on Saturday!

Jodi!!!

I LOVE the name for our check-in!! And yes, we've had too much going on lately to worry about workouts, but now that things are settling down it's time to get moving!

So... I've got my game face on and I'm ready to JUST DO IT!!

I did housework today and intended to do cardio but changed my mind at the last minute (I'm wiped out -- UGH -- and DH just got home and he wants to go out for dinner!). I did CCV1 on Tuesday and I couldn't believe how hard it was! Tomorrow I'm scheduled to work on my 1RM for STS (I still have several left to do but it shouldn't take me too much longer ;)), and I'm committed to doing CC-PP on Saturday. Sunday will be a rest day.

Thank you Jodi for doing this with me :*. And as Jodi said, anyone who's trying to get back to a regular exercise routine is welcome to join us! :D

You're very welcome Michele! Having some accountability will help me stick to it...if I know you're expecting an update from me, I will want to come in here with good news, right?

At the same time, I know from past experience that I also do better when I take it one day at a time and don't beat myself up for missing workouts. We all do what we can do, right?

I still have some 1RMs to do also. I've been putting off doing any heavy duty legwork because of my knee bugging me...hopefully I'm done with that and I can finish up. I am a little concerned that because it has taken me so long to get through all of the 1RMs that they may be out of date...I was probably stronger a couple of months ago when I started. Oh well, I'll muddle through somehow!:)

Jodi, it's taken me a long time to do the 1RMs, too, so we'll muddle through it together. I'm not even sure if I'm going to finish testing legs. I have issues with putting a BB behind my head without a spotter -- even with a squat rack. I had surgery on my neck a few years ago and, well... a BB on my traps gives me a funky feeling that goes down my arms -- LOL!! Honestly though, I have a feeling I'll need to go to the gym for M3 leg work -- if I'm going to use the recommended amount of weight, that is. I have a weighted vest so I'll do the best I can with that and dumbbells.

Yeah, I totally believe in extending a little grace. Like today, for instance. I fully intended to do cardio, but I was just too tired. DH was sick last night and he kept me awake all night long. I bet I didn't sleep more than an hour or 2 :( . I can't make it through a workout if I don't get adequate sleep (and you have to remember that I'm an old fart -- LOL!!!)

Sleep tight!

Last edited:
Hi jodi and Michele. May I join in? I've been keeping up with the workouts, but have just recently gotten back in the game with my diet. I've been eating mostly clean for a week and have noticed a difference already. I'd love to be able to lose the Christmas weight plus before summer arrives.

Today's workout was circuit 3 of Push from Chalean. I may do some ab work from Core Max, if time permits.

Breakfast was a protein shake after lifting, cereal with soy milk later. I packed soup for lunch and plan a dinner of grilled tuna. With wine, of course.

Good morning Jodi and Robin!!!

Yay!!!!! Robin is joining us!!!!

Okay, here's my plan for the day. I've been going disc by disc to do my 1RMs and looking through them, I only have a few exercises left to do on each of the remaining discs. I'll continue to go in order by disc and I'll stop today after I've completed a minimum of 12 exercises -- 15 if I'm feeling spunky. I JUST want to get this done!

I need to clean up my diet, too, but I'm not ready to track it. I'm just going to watch the big 4 -- salt, fat, sugar, and portion size.

One of my goals is to do a better job of getting going in the morning. I'm notorious for procrastinating and I've been known to do workouts as late as 11PM :eek:. My ultimate goal is to become a morning exerciser, but that's probably unrealistic to start with, so for now I'll make a concerted effort to be done before dinner -- LOL!!!

Hi ladies! Funny that you are just starting this check-in because I am just now making myself get back into working out so came back to the forum to look for some of the cardio haters and I found you guys.

Just a quick update. Ella is 16 months old now and growing up so fast. I was a SAHM for over a year but couldn't really find time to do videos during the day so I did a strollerfit class every weekday morning with Ella in the stroller. I started back at work part-time in January. Decided to try going back to work as a lawyer at the same firm I was at before but now working 75% time so getting home in time to hang out with Ella for a few hours. Ella is loving preschool and is so happy to be there.

But since starting back at work, I have MAYBE done 15 min of working out once or twice a week with just some short video once DH got home from work. I have been eating clean so not gaining weight really, but getting flabby and out of shape. I can't even run around the block anymore. So my plan is to wake up in the mornings and do a video but if I miss my workout in the morning I will go for a jog with Ella in the stroller after work (weather permitting). I am not fit enough yet to do full Cathe videos so I will start with some of my easier videos and then move onto Cathe again.

The real problem will be getting up early enough in the morning to do them.

I didn't workout this morning and I will be getting home too late to go for a jog so the plan is to do some pilates once Ella goes to bed. I have also gotten into Bar Method type workouts again. I love the Squeeze video if y'all have tried that one. I may do a short segment of that tonight, depending on what mood I am in.

Diane

I think I just found a great place to check-in!

Hi! I have been doing pretty good with my workouts (except for the last two days due to a cold), but need to get my eating under control. :eek: I just love to cook and bake and then of course eat!

My DH has started to run and swim again and has been soooo super awesome about getting up to do it. I don't want to get left in the dust :eek: I also found a really cute pair of running shoes and a running skort and my DH said I could get them IF I started running (really for me slow jogging!) So I committed to it and hope that adding some jogging in my week might help get my rear in gear!

And, to be honest, I would like to join you all so I can keep up contact with Miss Lee! ;):)

Tomorrow I will be doing CCPP + personal challenge, still to be decided. And maybe Sunday and slow jog with hubby and my two girls!

Thanks for letting me join in :)

Hi everyone! I haven't done today's workout yet...still got a couple of kids to get from school, but I wanted to say welcome to everyone!!:D:D Glad to have more company here!

Planning to do some pilates today. As expected, I have upper body DOMS from yesterday's PUB, and I don't want to stress out my legs too much so I can do CCPP tomorrow, so I will stick with core, and maybe a bit of bonus cardio. Something like the step only premix from C&W, I think. That's a favorite of mine.

Hello, hello, hello!!!

Did you think I wasn't coming back? LOL!!! I made it a point to stay away from my computer today because this is the thing that derails me every.single.time! This is one of the most productive days I've had in a long time. I ran my errands early and got those out of the way, did several loads of laundry, ran the dishwasher, and managed to do my workout (1RM for triceps and back) BEFORE dinner -- WOO HOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
cancan.gif
Laie_28.gif

I'm SO proud of myself!!
Drbarbie.gif

I have 23 exercises left and I'll be done with the 1RMs. My plan is to finish the upper body stuff on Monday, and legs on Wednesday. (I'm not doing many of the leg exercises) :cool:

Tomorrow is CCPP!!!

DIANE!!!!!! OMG!!!! I could not have been more surprised than when I saw your post!!! How have you been? Yeah, the Haters mostly stay in touch by email now, and August, Dana, and I are on FB and we stay connected there, too. We were talking about starting the Haters group again once STS came out but we haven't yet. You must post a new pic of Ella! I can't believe she's 16 mos already :eek:. I kind of thought you'd end up back at work. Well, welcome home missy! It's nice to 'see' you again.

Mary - You're too kind, really! I'm so happy you're checking in with us. I've really missed my CC pals. Did you see that Coach Sean took the forum down? If you go to his homepage and click on the "forum" tab, there's a note from him explaining why. Hopefully he'll re-install them later. -- So you're going to start running! YOU GO GIRL!!! You know, if ever there was a workout that made me think I could run, it's CCV7. I swear, that one just makes me feel like I could fly :D. That's really neat that your DH is working out, and a major incentive, too, isn't it? I wish my DH would be more consistent :(. Well I'll want to hear how you're BOTH doing! ;) :D

Jodi - Did you get your core work done? Which workout did you do? I LOVE PUB, especially the pyramid down premix -- that's usually the one I do. It totally fries my upper body. I agree about not stressing your legs before PP. There's no way I could do PP on the elliptical the day after a heavy leg workout. :eek:

Robin - Do you like that Chalean workout? I keep hearing about it and I'm curious. I tried a Turbo Jam workout a couple of years ago but it got on my nerves. I assume her current workout is very different from TJ. Aren't you going to see your son this weekend? I hope you have lovely weather for it. Have a GREAT weekend!

I'll see y'all tomorrow after CCPP!! :D

Last edited:
Michele, so glad to hear how much you got done today! WTG on the 1RMs! I think you will be done with those before me...and I started first.

I did get my core work done...I did about 30 minutes of pilates. (Denise Austin, believe it or not. It's not a bad workout if I can ignore her voice.) I started to do some step, but DH came home a bit early from work and we all went out to dinner, so I only did about 10-15 minutes of C&W step. But to make up for it, DH, DS, & I played Dance Dance Revolution for a little while just now. So at least I burned a few more calories. (And of course it was fun too! I forgot how much I enjoy watching my son play.)

CCPP tomorrow! I plan to add the Step Blast Challenge as my extra challenge...assuming I can handle it!:eek:

I posted this in the CCPP thread, but thought I'd copy it here. I had been worried about doing the workout since my endurance isn't what it used to be, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The workout went better than I expected...hopefully that means I am coming back even faster than I hoped. My knee didn't give me any trouble either. I started out with conservative settings on my bike, but after getting warmed up a bit I was able to crank it up to my usual settings. I hit a nice second wind before the last challenge. Seeing Cathe saying "Yes you can!" on my calendar helped too!

Then took a short break to set up for my SB challenge....move the bike, set up the step, and change out of my padded bike shorts and into my "real" workout pants. Legs were feeling a little shakey. When I did that first set of slam-its, I started to question the sanity of doing this as a challenge!:eek: But then I was reminded of the slam-its at last year's RT, which reminded me of Gin all over again, and I powered through it. By the end my calves were killing me (not sure why), but I had such a sense of accomplishment!!

WTG Jodi!!! I cannot believe you added a SB challenge to PP :eek:. I bow to your greatness!!! What's going on with your knee?

I was pretty worried about getting through the workout but I did well. I paced myself and didn't try to show off :p. Instead of ADDING a challenge, I replaced one -- I took out the 1st original PP challenge and replaced it with the 3rd challenge from Vol 5. I just knew there was NO WAY I could handle 6 challenges. I was proud of myself for completing the workout! Even though my results were well below my normal performance levels, I truly put my all into it and did the very best I could do. Considering I haven't worked out much over the past 5 months, I'll take it!!

I did a set of push ups after my workout. Oh how the mighty have fallen!!! I haven't done any push ups since last September. At that point I could do about 70 or 75 -- I could only do SIX yesterday :eek: :(

Today is a rest day -- YAY!!! DH and I don't have any plans -- we might go out to brunch and/or a movie, and we'll probably end up at my MIL's at some point.

Tomorrow I'll resume my 1RM testing.

My best wishes for a wonderful and relaxing Sunday!! :)

Last edited:
WTG Michele! That was a great idea, to replace one of the challenges! PP is a tough workout, even without an extra challenge...be proud that you did so well!

My knee had been feeling odd lately. Not much pain unless I straightened it forcefully or kicked my leg straight, but it didn't feel right. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I described it to DH who thought it sounded like fluid behind the kneecap. He recommended not working out on it for a while to see if it got better on its own. He said that usually it is caused by an injury to the knee. I don't recall hurting it, but I think it might have started acting like this after doing 1RMs for legs. As it turns out, I got sick right after he told me to baby it, so I wasn't working out anyway.

I was a little worried about doing PP and SB yesterday, but the knee seems fine so far. Hopefully that rest was just what it needed. I'm still a little scared to do lower body, though. I may do Low Max tomorrow as a way of working legs a bit without weights.

Today I did Muscle Max, upper body and abs. It went well, but of course I had to use lower weights than what I used to. Still, it feels good to get back to regular workouts again!

Michele, I know what you mean about pushups! I did the 100 pushup challenge on my toes several months ago, and although I did get most of today's MM pushups done on my toes, I had to drop to my knees for the last few. I was using pushup handles for the first time though, which does seem to make the pushups harder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.