Fit, Fab and Over 40 - check in of week 01/02/09

Ronne

Cathlete
Couldn't find this anywhere so presume it's not started?

I did a workout today - hurray for me again! Did ME minus the abs as I'm going to a Pilates class again tonight and there's loads of ab work in that.

We've got snow here today! Can't believe it. Work is nice and quiet so I'm taking the opportunity of catching up on a few jobs.

Bye for now!

Hi all,

Today I got back to my 1RM's. I am almost done. Yesterday I did The Firm pilates. I have not decided what I am going to do regarding STS and a start date. Anyone have any STS plans?

Murph

Back again...

Hi, everybody! I'm back after a rough week. I wasn't sick, but dealing with a family crisis. :(

Murphy, you've almost finished your 1 RMs? I've done two. As in, two exercises. So I guess I can safely say that I have no start date in mind, but I will want to start soon enough so I can finish before school ends and we start our summer traveling. Being away so much will really get in the way, and I think I'd lose my focus if I kept having to take a week off here, there, and everywhere.

Anyway, I did the 67-minute Legs and Glutes premix (standing only) today. I found myself wondering, "Are we done yet?" quite a bit near the end. :confused:

Ronne, I love Muscle Endurance! DH and I do that a couple of times a month! Enjoy the snow. We were supposed to get some here (in Georgia), but the forecast has changed and we'll probably see flurries, at the most.

I'm having a hard time choosing a workout focus: I want to work my lower body more so it will be firmer, but I want to work my upper body because I get much more visible results, and I want to do more kettlebells but I also want to start STS. So many workouts; so little time!

Well, I've got to get to work. I just wanted to pop in and say "hi!"

Hi everyone! I did the HIS/LIS double cardio premix today. Hopefully STS will come today sometime! I plan to start it next week so that the recovery week falls during our mini ski vacation.

Katherine, glad to see you here! I hope everything is going ok for you.

Ronne, enjoy the snow, we have a spring week here (I love that)

Murphy, don't tell, but I guessed at some of my 1RMs. shhhhhhhh

later!

Hi evryone! Hope you had a great weekend, we had a SuperBowl party yesteryday. Then those darn Steelers had to win. (Hope I don't offend anyone, we are from Cleveland, our hearts are elsewhere!) I did get STS, so worth the wait, I have been very impressed. After seeing it, it is hard to believe it only took a year! I tried Plyo legs on Sat, fun, fun. And I had a sore butt, yesterday. My butt doesn't get sore too often! Today I started Meso 1 Disc 1, I kind of guessed on my 1rm's, picked challenging weights, it was a good w/o, A LOT of pushups, tho. Not my favorite. I enjoyed the w/o as a whole, tho. Well, enough about me, Good to see you back Kathryn, we have missed you. Hope all goes well on the home front. Hey, Lisa, how are you? Did you get your STS? You will love it, I saw you posting over on the STS check-in. Too much for me to handle, it is hard for me to get here! LOL! Hey, to Ronne, and Murphy. Hope you both enjoyed your pilates! Hi to Andrea and Vilma. Have a good night, I need to vacuum. Mary

Hello everyone

Good to see you back, Kathryn. Hope the family crisis is settled.
Sometimes, it's really difficult to decide what workout to do, isn't it?

Murph - have you previewed any of STS? What do you think?

Lisa - I love that cardio premix, it's great fun.

Mary - sounds like you're having fun with STS.

I'm not going to stay on long. I'm getting an odd twinge between the knuckles of my middle and ring finger on my right hand. I'm hoping it's not incipient RSI ...

bye for now.

Hello Fabulous 40's Ladies :)

Just a quick post to say Hello and I will come back later on this afternoon to post personals.

At the moment it's 6am and my kids are moving slowly and at this point I think my son went back to sleep lol

picture.php

Good morning everyone! No workout for me today, it's my rest day and even though I was up early and could get one in I still decided to rest (er or should I say do some work from home before I head into the office?)

Guess what I bought!?!?! I bought a spin bike, it should be here Friday! I also bought a few DVDs....all recommeded by Leanne on here (she's a sweetie). I can't believe I decided to do it (been thinking about it for a while) with the economy in the crapper, still worried about job security, and still paying college tuition costs out of pocket since our 529 is underwater. I'm excited though!

Mary, I did get my STS yesterday, I can't wait to start. I'm going to do Plyo legs tomorrow and then start the official 3 1/2 mth rotation next week. Yes, I'm trying to chk in with the STS fit chicks....I know all these checkins can be overwhelming! I like the little group we have going here. I was going to continue chking into FF chkin, but it's just too much to keep up with.

Vilma, did you get the kids off to school? My oldest was terrible about getting up, thank goodness he's off on his own now. My youngest is the best at getting up, never have to worry about him at all, ah, the powers that be knew what they were doing when they gave me my most demanding child first! LOL

Ronne, I had to wikipedia RSI....repetitive strain injury? too much typing? My handwriting is horrible, my right hand feels so tight when I write (and has for years). I used to have carpal tunnel at the end of my programming career, I had to wear a wrist brace and all, even at night it hurt so bad. I think I got it more from mousing than typing.

Gotta get scooting out the door soon, have a great day all and hellos to all who follow!

Hi All,

Today was a rest day. It was not planned but I will take it. I hope to finish the 1RM's tomorrow or at least soon. I should put them into the workout manager instead of waiting and doing them all at once.

Ronne - I previewed some of the discs and I love STS. I am really looking forward to starting it. I am hoping to start next week.

Murph

Hi all! Today was 4DS BC, didn't have a long time, the backs of my shoulders are sore from yesterday's w/o. That has never happened before. I am excited to try tomorrow's w/o. I am a little nervous about the chin and pull -ups, but I will give a go! Murphy, you will love STS, the time flies! Lisa, what a great idea, a spin bike, that will be fun. I have seen a lot of videos available to use with those. Let me know how you enjoyed plyo legs, it moves fast! Hey, Vilma, I have a kid who hates to get up too, can't say I blame him tho! Ronne, hope that your hand feels better, I know I have been on the computer too long when my hand goes numb! Hi Kathryn, hope things are better. Have a good night all. Hey, where is Andrea? Did she melt Down Under? Mary

Thanks, everybody!

I did Imax 3 today... somehow I survived, but it was pretty challenging. My calves are killing me from Legs and Glutes and also the pyramid lower/upper premix.

Family crisis not settled and will only get worse before it is. It's not life or death, but DH and I completely disagree about where to send our 8-year-old daughter to school. I'd like to keep her where she is (she's happy, been there for years, has lots of friends, and is in the resource program where they're working with learning issues). It's a private school about 12 miles from our house. DH wants to take her out and put her in the public school that is under construction at the end of our road -- less than a mile away. His argument: It's closer. She'll get to know kids in the neighborhood. She won't have to spend "hours" (not!) on the bus every day. He says money isn't an issue (obviously it would be free at public school), but I'm not convinced it would be a good fit for her.

She'll be heartbroken. She's made tons of progress where she is now. Yes, it's far. Yes, it's a pain in the neck sometimes (she rides a bus in the a.m.; carpool in p.m.), and yes, it costs money. But she's doing so well and loves school. I don't want to mess with success. She wouldn't qualify for resource at public school, so I'd have to take her for outside services.

By the way: DH never drives her to school or bus; never has to pick her up or drop her off. In fact, he hasn't been to her school once this year -- not for a conference or anything else. He's never met her teachers. He has no idea where her classroom is. So I feel that he really doesn't get an even vote in this, but...

...let's just say that he usually wins.

Sorry to go on and on, but I've been really stressed about this. She won't qualify for resource at public school. The classes are so much bigger. And she won't know anybody at all. I just wish he'd leave well enough alone and let me make this decision because I don't think he's right. :(

Well, the saga goes on... Thanks for the support, everybody.

By the way, I'm interested in hearing reactions and comments about STS. It may help me make the much-less-important decision about which workouts to focus on next. (If only decisions were all so easy!) :rolleyes:

Hello all

Kathryn - that is really tough. I really sympathise with you. I'm a big advocate of children going to school locally. One of the reasons we moved to our current house was so that DD could walk to school (it's at the end of the road). However, I also agree with you, if it ain't broke ... If she's happy and getting what she needs where she is that's the most important thing. I hope you can settle this. Could you talk to the teachers at her current school and get their view on how she's doing as a bit of back up for your arguments?

Lisa - a spin bike? Sounds great, lucky you!, Yes, that RSI. The twinge has gone today but I'm a bit paranoid about things like that as I earn my living at the computer. Like you, it's not typing though but overuse of the mouse. I'm working on paper today to rest it.

I must confess to a twinge of jealousy for all you STSers. I'm hoping to see some more clips soon so I can be there in spirit at least!

Bye for now.

Morning,

Yeah, I have finished my 1RM's. I plan to put the info into the workout manager today and start STS over the weekend or next week. I hope everyone (this kids and DH) cooperates so that I can focus and stick to the program. BTW, anyone else sore from just doing the 1RM's?

Kathryn - sorry to hear about things. I really hope things work out for the best for you DD.

Murph

Today I had to play with plyo legs. :eek: I really liked how Cathe seemed to slow down the jumps from her other workouts so I could concentrate more on jumping than just keeping up. Didn't mean it was any less intense! In fact I had to keep hitting pause, and then one time after I hit play again Cathe said, How are you doing at home, you aren't hitting pause are you? Whoops, busted! Then I did the ab Circuits STability ball abs....some new interesting moves in here. I soooo wanna start STS officially but I'm working hard to wait until Monday. It's going to be tough!

Murphy, good job on those 1RMs! ^5's

Kathryn, my what a pickle, of course I"m sure us ladies totally get your point of view, good luck! Since I believe that everything happens for a reason in life (and sometimes we never know why it happened), I'm sure that whatever decision is made it will be the one that was meant to be.

Mary, so you have some good DOMS going? I can't wait to start! I'm not sure about the STS chkin, it's just so overwhelming.

Andrea, yoo hoo, where ya at? Are you out shopping for some Chalean workout boots? LOL

Ronne, my bike will be here Friday! I'm sure i'll have to get a seat cover or a better seat, hoping I can get a decent one for not too much $$$. I plan to take a short ride (I think one of the videos I'm getting has a short one) on Friday night after DH sets it up. Funny to be looking forward to doing that on a friday night!

Vilma, how's it going in your neck of the woods? Enjoying your kettlebells? I've done some kettlebell workouts while I've waited for STS these past weeks, it's nice to shake it up but I can't do them all the time, DH does though.

Bye for now ladies...

Wow, where is everyone? I was last to checkin yesterday and first today!?! Well, I did get an early start today, I've been up since 2:00am! No, I did NOT get up and do DM (wasn't that Murphy who did that once?). I know it's a hormone thing as I've felt the fogginess start to kick in a couple days ago and now the sleeplessness......The things us women have to go through! First child birth (and somehow we do this one a couple of times -- seems we forget the pain and agony :p) and then peri-meno and then meno!

OK, so I couldn't wait until next week to start so I started Disc 1 today. Great workout! Except for all the pushups ! I didn't mind them so much until the bootcamp ones and especially the staggered ones. I'll be repeating the first week next week so that the recovery week falls during our ski trip and do the regular 3 month rotation so I can experience all the different workouts as quickly as possible.

I have DOMS in the glutes from playing with the plyo legs yesterday. But not I can't sit on the toilet DOMS. That workout really wiped me out, my legs were sooooo tired all day and I didn't get to sit around all day as I was on the run doing errands, etc.

It's a good thing I did FF Dec/Jan rotations with her, that prepared my body for the STS torture!:p

Well, I have lots to get done today, hopefully I don't fall asleep while getting everything I need to do done.......

Hi Girls! Not to busy around here? I have been busy shoveling and trying to keep warm, It is supposed to get warm high 30's this weekend, then all this snow will melt. Today I did the cardio from the original BM, I so enjoy that step. Tomorrow, will be STS legs, I am a little scared! Lisa, so glad you are enjoying STS and tomorrow you get your bike! Sorry about the sleep thing, I woke up at 3:10 with a nightmare, couldn't shake it and get back to sleep. Wonder what I'm worried about? Kathryn, hope things are getting better and I hope that you get your way! Tell your DH mom's know best! Murphy, did you get those 1rm's done yet? Let us know when you start and if you enjoy it! Hey Ronne, how is your hand? Better? Hello to Vilma, and Andrea, I need to go get baths started. Talk to you later. Mary

Hi everyone

Just a quick post today. I'm trying not to use the computer too much as my hand was really hurting yesterday morning.

Lisa - so you couldn't hold off on STS any longer? I don't blame you. I'm always surprised when I read posts from people who bought exercise DVDs and haven't opened them for months. I have to at least look at them straightaway!

Mary - we've got fairly heavy snow here at the moment but I'm not out shovelling! I suppose it would make up for lack of workouts!

Looks like we're going to have a weekend without sink or cooker as the builders haven't made it through the snow. Oh well!

Hope everyone has a good one.

Hi everyone!

I've been having the week from hell and then to top it off, my computer died! This is my first checkin all week!!

Kathryn- AHHHH I know where you are at! Been there. My husband and I drive my daughter to and from school daily. She is improving year after year and was again voted class captain this year. This is a really big deal as she repeated her first year due to immaturity, and she was struggling in grade 1. BUt the school was brilliant helping us out and she has florished, I am incredibly proud of her as she has done the work all by herself. She has a strong friend base and I am refusing to take her away from that. My hubby is pushing to move from this area and i am fighting to stay. So far, I'm winning. We will one day have to move, (we need a bigger property) but I f I can stay around this area I would be happy so theres the compromise. But for now, argument is put aside. If you don't mind taking your daughter to school daily, then fight for her to remain where she is. At least until the end of this year, re assess at the end of the year. AND ask her what she'd like to do. Thats just my two cents. Sorry to hear its been so stressful for you. But sometimes we, as parents need to put aside whats best for us, and do whats best for our children. Cheer up sweetie, big hug.

Hi to everyone else. I'll try to pop back in again over the weekend. See ya girls.

Hi all,

Today I did disc 1 of STS. Someone out there said the time would fly and that was so true. I couldn't sleep so I ended up doing it around 3:30 and it was great. I am already feeling a little soreness and that is even better. I am looking forward to the other discs but I am must say, I am a little nervous - what does Cathe have planned for us? Anyway, I hope everyone has a weekend full of DOMS!

Murph

Thanks again...

Thanks to everybody for your positive, encouraging posts! They really did help cheer me up (and I've been so far down in the dumps.)

Now DH is suggesting that if "we" ("he") decide(s) to move her, that we shouldn't tell her until the end of summer. "Oh gosh, sweetie, we forgot to mention that you're not going back to your school with all of your friends..."

Yeah, that will work. Sorry, not going to ambush her with that heartbreaking news! If it's going to happen, she should know sooner rather than later so she can get accustomed to the idea. I hate it when people spring unpleasant stuff on me at the last minute, and I think she'd hate it too. :mad:

By the way, I actually am still working out: Did LowMax today (with the weighted vest for the intervals).

It's a good thing I'm working out, because DS (11 years old) had a physical exam yesterday and needed two vaccines. He is deathly afraid of needles and absolutely refused to cooperate. After half an hour of negotiating, I had to drag him out of the bathroom in the doctor's office (he was hanging onto the door for dear life!), wrestle him into the exam room, and hold him still (with the help of a nurse) while the other nurse gave him his shots.

It was ugly. I don't think I'll be getting that Mother-of-the-Year award. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.