Fit 40s week 15/03

Ronne

Cathlete
Hello all

I never made it back on Friday so thought I would kick us all off today. My back is a little bit better so I thought I'd try something today. I did KCM's Muscle Definition Workout 2. One exercise felt a bit uncomfortable but apart from that OK. Fingers crossed.
Yesterday was Mother's Day here. I got a £20 voucher for a sports shop as well as some flowers and a lovely home made card. So I can finally replace some of my more disgusting items!

Lisa - hope your head is feeling OK. Did you do mega workouts this weekend again?

Murph - hope you got some kid free workouts in!

Kathryn - when do you get your results back? Are you still suffering or are the tablets helping?

Mary - how was your weekend? More ferrying the kids around to stuff?

Well, DD is off sick today so we're going to watch Jumanji together (the pleasures of working at home!)

See you all tomorrow.

Hi everyone! hope everyone had a good weekend! Fri. was Girl Scout friendship day, Sat. we had friends over for dinner and we played cards, yesterday was b-ball banquet. And the time changed which I am not so keen on, so hard getting up in the dark! Just did MMA boxing and S&H shoulders, I am going to have to tweak her rotation up a little, I just don't have that kind of time to work out! Ronne, glad to hear your back is feeling a bit better. I really enjoyed Jumanji A fun movie, hope your DD feels better soon. Lisa, any results yet? How is Maddy? Kathryn, what did the Dr. say? I know I have had episodes of reflux in the past, took a week or 2 for the pills to work. Let us know. Murphy, how are your assistents? Hope everyone has a good day. Mary

Hi, everybody!

I did Art of Strength Santa Monica this morning. For those of you who aren't familiar with AOS videos, most are named for where they're filmed (Providence, Newport, York, Santa Monica)... and it was just so tough! I don't know how I'm going to manage Insanity, because these kettlebell workouts are so humbling!

My stomach hurts less this week -- I think the double-dose of acid-reducers are working. I really think I have an ulcer (DH wants a second opinion on that, but I also think he's the one who caused it!). I appreciate everybody's concern. It's so easy to take being healthy for granted, but when something starts hurting, it just dominates everything.

Ronne: You know what I mean. I hope your back is on the mend. Jumanji? I have that movie. Have you ever seen Zarthura? It's similar -- very entertaining, and my kids really like it.

Mary, I don't miss all of those banquets! We dropped basketball (hooray), and DS finished Cub Scouts and didn't move on to Boy Scouts. But there's still soccer... at least both kids are on the same team, so there's only one practice and one game a week.

Are we all sleepy? I really miss that hour of sleep because now I'm waking at the equivalent of 3:55 (!), or so my body thinks. Hard to get the kids up, too. Ronne, do you have Daylight Savings Time -- you know, where the government gives you and extra hour of sleep in the Fall, then takes it away in the Spring?

Well, we're cramming for standardized testing, coming up next month (for DD), and this week (for DS). Remember, no child should be left behind, so memorize this scattering of facts for these tests! DH is a big fan of standardized testing (this is one of his fields of expertise), but I didn't do so well on them -- give me an essay instead.

Which is what I think I'm writing here... but it's more fun that working on the taxes!

Okay, back to work... before the roofers start pounding again!

Hi all,

I tried athletic step on Saturday. I went back and forth on if I liked it or not but then it just became to step-tricky for me and I decided I did not like it. I don't expect to reach for that again. I rested on Sunday - or rested from exercise I should say. I did not "rest" all day. Today I did an "island run" on the Wii.

Kathryn/Ronne - I hope you are feeling better.

Mary - What age did you DD start Girl Scouts? I would like to get my DD started, she just turned 5 but I think I will wait until she starts school and see if anyone in there is involved. Any thoughts?

Hi to all who follow!

Murphy

Murphy, that Wii Island Run is so funny! If you go too fast, you trip. If you go too slowly, everybody passes you. But I like it because it's the only way I can get DS to do anything remotely close to exercise....

Hey, it's a video game! Now if we could make homework a video game, my problems would be over!

Regarding Girl Scouts: Way back in the prehistoric era when I was a Girl Scout, I started in 1st or 2nd grade... as a Brownie. If your DD meets the minimum age requirement, then I'd decide based on her level of interest and maturity.

Wow, busy around here! Time got away from me today and at dinner I realized I hadn't talked to my Cathe girls. Sat I did a 50 min cardio coach run. I'm loving my treadmill and running makes me feel good. Sun I did P90X legs/back. I've decided I don't really like them. I think they are good, if you can get through the BOREDOM. Then the legs he didn't use much weights and I even skipped some (remember BOREDOM, no fun factor), but my quads are so SORE! Today I did Cardio Fusion until I got to drill #5, my dvd freezes, good reason to quit :)

My DS in college comes over tomorrow and we go to a running store for them to tell me the perfect shoe for me. I have a gift cert ($75) from my old nutritionist boss. I'm looking forward to that. Then for dinner we are going out for my youngest DS's birthday.....18! And back for cake I hope to make tomorrow morning while I supposed to be "working from home".

Maddy is getting picky in her eating again and I'm getting emotional about it. She is very lethargic lately too. I had to carry her home from our walk on saturday and sunday we didn't go, but today she was asking for a walk and I shortened it up without her noticing and it was just the right length (for now...down to 1.5 miles from her 3.5 a year ago) I also have to plan our walk for the path around the field, she just can't handle curbs in the neighborhood. She knows they are there but not exactly where and isn't happy. Anyway, I made a vet appt at a different vet Wed morning, will see if it's just old age or if there is something brewing in her. I know in Dec her thyroid was low but that vet said treatment could cause her to lose weight and we can't afford anymore weight loss. I was feeling so guilty today because I'm almost ready for this to be over but I feel I'm letting her down because I'd be putting her down for me and not for her. sigh

Kathryn, MINTS make me get acid refulx! I love my mints after meals too. My kids HATE essays, in fact the college they are going to don't require essays to apply and that was attractive to them (to me I like this college because it's the best local public engineering college). Oh, and I am TIRED, I took naps all weekend and now tired again. I'm just not sleeping at night....up at 3 almost like clockwork. This morning I heard Maddy (she was lost in the bathroom and couldn't get out because DH didn't leave the light on for her), I thought she should go outside, so carried her out (at 4:00 am), she stood there like she didn't know where she was etc, came back in, tried to go back to sleep, failed, then at 4:40 I heard Maddy, took her out, she now had her bearings about her and she did her business. No wonder I"m not sleeping!?!?!?!

Murphy, my boys started boy scouts in kindergarten and 3rd grade....and it does depend on how ready they are for it (the reason the each started at different ages).

Mary, It will be a week before the biopsy. Your kid activities make me more happy I'm going into the next phase....empty nester :)

Ronne, sounds like we both have some money to spend. It's fun spending other's money, problem is I always spend MORE!

gotta run, get some records/details together for the new vet. I may not get checked in tomorrow given my shopping and birthday festivities

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about Maddy! Don't feel like you're letting her down -- you're doing everything you possibly can to help her. She couldn't ask for a better owner. I hope your new vet can help Maddy (and you). Let us know how the appointment goes.

Today I did Tracey Staehle Cardio Sweatfest (I think)... an impulse buy that just arrived yesterday. It was challenging enough-- especially coming at the end of my workout week. I'm looking forward to a day off. A decent night of sleep would be great, too. DH keeps waking me up all night long -- tossing and turning (he still has bronchitis).

Well, I'm stalling on the taxes... just can't get motivated, but I have to. :rolleyes: Hi to everybody after! :D

Hi everyone

Lisa - hope you have a good day with DS2 and family. It sounds like you've been banging out those workouts again :)
I don't really know what to say about Maddy. I don't think you're being selfish about thinking about putting her down. She wouldn't have made it this far without all the time and effort you've put in anyway. Do you think she is still a happy animal, getting the most out of life? Would you want to carry on if it was you? Please don't think I'm being callous or unfeeling. This is all being said with affection. You just have to do what you think is right. Perhaps the new vet will have a different perspective.

Kathryn - No I've never even heard of that film. I'll look out for it. We both enjoyed Jumanji, it's quite nice watching a kids film when you're supposed to be working.
Yes, we do have daylight saving, it starts in two weeks.
Now get back to those taxes! :p
It sounds like you've got it easy on the after-school activities front there!

Mary - Sat night sounds fun. I like those kinds of evenings.
I always tweak rotations, I don't think I've ever done one just as it is. They never seem to fit in.

Murph - that's a shame about Athletic Step. I really liked that one. I did find the choreography a bit harder to pick up than Step Moves, though. Don't know what that says about me!

Today I did Hiit 30/30 for the first time. It was tough! I had to add a couple of extra breaks in towards the end as my heart was really pounding. Then I did Yoga abs which was great.

Right, I've got to go, it's that time again. See you all tomorrow.

Hey everyone, I have time to do a quick checkin. I did P90X back/Bi .... I now skip his warmup and cool down and do my own thing, his is so boring. I did like the workout though and pushed myself and for an UB workout I got sweating good.

Thanks for the kind words about Maddy. Now then, wouldn't you know it, she is chipper this morning. Barking at the doorbell and everything. She is eating as long as I give her different foods...for instance I made those bertolli lasagna oven meal last night (easy, I know not the best but remember our convo about boring food), anyway, I made her some spagetti noodles and put the sauce from the lasgana over it added a bit more chicken (that she wouldn't eat earlier) and she gobbled it up and came back for more later. She just likes good tasting food, I don't know how kidney unfriendly it is, but at this point I try to give her good foods within reason for her kidneys and low in fat for her reflux and let the chips fall where they may. Her loves have always been food, walks and just being in the backyard. Poor baby, foods are limited, she can't walk as far, and for some reason I haven't figured out she doesn't want to go outside. Used to be that I'd say "wanna go outside?" and she'd run to the door. Today she runs away from the door.

thanks for letting me vent.

Oh, I agree, the time for the workouts each day for these rotations are too long! It's hard to fit it all in and I can only imagine how hard it is with young ones.

Ronne, good job on 30/30.....thankfully it only lasts 30 min!

Off to check my cake.....

Goodness! We are a chatty bunch today! I gave up on Cathe's rotation, just too much time, I mean tomorrow is supposed to MMA Fusion and S&H legs? My heart is just not into S&H this week, so I did Ilaria! Lisa, it will be interesting to hear what the new vet has to say. It is such a hard decision to make, you will know when the time is right. What kind of cake are you making? Have fun with dinner and the new shoes. I bought a new pair yesterday, thinking that's why my heel was hurting, we will see. Ronne, I actually thought 40/20 was easier than 30/30, there are 3 1 minute breaks, it really helps. My kids watched Race to Witch Mountain yesterday, (the new one, not the one from when we were little) they really enjoyed it, I enjoyed the Rock! Kathryn, how is your stomach? I was reading your post thinking they should make an AOS Cleveland edition, see if it would be a good seller! Murphy, we started girls scouts 1st grade, only 2 meetings per month and sometimes extra activites, I think this is her last year, next year is 7th grade, I don't think she would want to wear the uniform to middle school! She has made a lot of friends, now Boy Scouts was a huge time investment, meetings every week and activites, we finished with that after one year. It was too much. Well, I need to stop talking! Don't know if I will be around the rest of the week, DH will be off with me, Parade tomorrow, DF is having surgery on Thurs., so if I don't make it back, have a great week, See you Mon. Mary

Hi ladies! Today I'm taking a rest day since we are off to the vet in a bit. Maddy was very active on her walk yesterday but quickly tired out. I just don't know if it's just old age or something else like a low thyroid or maybe I'm not feeding her the right stuff. sigh. She's eating well, as long as I switch up what she eats (sometimes an exhausting effort if we aren't eating something for dinner that she can---or that I think she can).

My bi's have some DOMS from P90X yesterday, it's hard to get DOMS there and I know I really pushed it.

The biopsies came back positive for basal cell carcinoma, so I got back in a couple weeks to get them removed. Oh boy, do I now regret all that time in the sun as a kid/teen. I told my sister because from what she describes to me I think she may have some in her head (her hair is uber thin)....she isn't going to get them checked out. I don't know why, but then she went on to say how UGLY I will be when they removed them and did they need to shave my head and how could I have gone out Saturday because I must have looked pretty bad after the biopsies. See what I have to put up with? How mean, huh? And there is NO WAY anyone would have known after 24hrs that I had 2 biopsies done.

I had a VERY nice time with my DS yesterday and later the whole family together for dinner. It was nice seeing the boys interacting...they miss each other, aw! The cake I made was a Tastefully Simple chocolate pound cake, then I took some cream cheese and Tastefully Simple cake batter drink mix, mixed it up and added a cup of cool whip for the frosting, then had sliced strawberries on the side. YUM! My jeans are really fitting tight, I have GOT to do something about that, another sigh.

So, I spend almost $400 yesterday, yikes! It was very interesting getting our gait checked out when we run. My DS needed very corrective shoes and I needed something with a narrow heel for the slippage I told them I have a lot. The guy said the shoes I was currently using was all wrong for me. It's funny, when I run my left foot is straight but my right flares out (the one I have problems with)....he said it can happen on the dominant foot (and I am right handed) but that he suspects maybe that leg is longer. So, I bought DS a pair of shoes, a Nike + gadgets that tracks your speed, distance etc, and socks....hoping to inspire him to exercise more, plus he is doing the mini-tri here in our town in a couple months....and yet hasn't done the first bit of training :confused: For me, I got me some new running shoes and insoles for my Ryka cross trainers that I step, etc in....those suckers were $45.

That's about it from here, sorry for the novel ;)

Today was a blast from the past, a Crunch bootcamp VHS. Yes, VHS. Does anyone else still have VHS'? It is only 30 minutes and is good for a time crunch.

Ronne - Maybe I will give Athletic Step another try. My assistant was there so maybe that was part of the frustration. I will also try Step Moves in honor of you. :)

Lisa - Don't feel selfish about thinking about putting Maddy down. It is probably more for her than you - you just don't realize it. We had to put our cat down a few years ago. He was 15+ years old (we got him as a stray), was going blind, was deaf, had arthritis and was incontinent (sp?). He could barely walk and did not want to eat and was losing weight. He meowed everytime he moved or wanted to move. It was so painful to watch, especially since there was nothing I could do to help him. We made the painful decision but he is not in pain anymore. I feel better about that, him not being in pain anymore. So, don't feel bad, it is the normal reaction.

On a lighter note, is anyone else having trouble waking up to exercise? I just lay there, wide awake, thinking about getting up and how early it is.

Murphy

Lisa, I'm glad you caught your melanoma early, so they can remove it. I, too, regret years of tanning, but growing up in CT, we had less sun so maybe it will take longer for the scary stuff to show up. Your sister really should get it checked (early detection). I wrote an article about sun protection for Golf Digest, back in the 80s when almost nobody wore sunscreen -- especially not golfers. We all know better now, but there's nothing to be done for those years when we didn't. Keep us posted.

What Nike shoes did you get? I've been so tempted, even though I don't normally wear Nike shoes. I'm sure I need new shoes by now because they take quite a beating and need replacing regularly (six months or so, not every few years, like I used to do). Like I need to spend more money.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, by the way. I forgot to remind DD about it, and she wore nothing green today. I know she'll be miserable when she gets home. That sort of thing matters to her (she's only 9!), so it probably ruined her day. (DS wears a uniform and really doesn't care anyway.)

May that be the worst thing that ever happens to her!

Well, back to dealing with the taxes as the roofers pound overhead. I must be crazy! Or if I'm not now, I soon will be!

Have a great day!

Hi all

Don't know what happened yesterday, time just got away from me!

Lisa - I'm glad that it seems relatively easy to deal with. Does it worry you? Or is this a relatively straightforward process? I can't believe your sister! I can see why you've fallen out before. ;)
Sounds like you had a lovely day with your sons.

Kathryn - I haven't had any new shoes for 2 years either. I'm thinking I really need to get some (might help with my back as well).

Murphy - I don't exercise in the morning (I'd never do it) so it's not a problem for me. I'm doing Athletic Step again today for the second time. I've had another look at some of it to try and get some of the moves!

I won't be around tomorrow as I've got a meeting in London all day. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Ronne: Oooh, a meeting in London -- how glamorous! But it's probably not a big deal for somebody who lives in England anyway....

What do you think of the STS Cardio step workouts? I've done them only once and haven't wanted to try again. My first impression wasn't overly positive... I had a sense of just struggling needlessly with choreography. Very frustrating.

I'm proud of myself for getting through Art of Strength: Santa Monica again today. After I finished STS for the second time last year I decided that I wanted to get back into kettlebell workouts and see what gains I can make with that. I discovered that I'm stronger overall because I was able to lift an overflowing bin of newspapers and dump them into the recycling can (which involved lifting it over waist height). In the past, I've had to recruit DH to do it. And the rope workouts really test my endurance.

Well, I've got to get to work -- I hope everybody has a great day!

P.S. Writing about London made me think of a funny saying about the difference between the British and Americans: "In England, 100 miles is a long distance. In America, 100 years is a long time."

Kathryn - too true! No, a meeting in London definitely isn't glamorous. I have to leave the house at 7am to get in for a 10am meeting. Although, it is central London and I walk past the Houses of Parliament on the way and I can see the London Eye from the meeting room so that's something!

I really like the Step workouts. I did struggle with the choreo on Athletic Step more than Step Moves, but even second time I found it easier. I also think it's really tough (harder than SM). I'm dripping by the end of it.

Well, chickies, with all the talk about Athletic Step and the fact I've been wanting to do it a second time, I did it today. The steps are tricky and some I modify and I am very winded (had to stop to catch my breath right before she puts all the combos together)....then of course after that you are thinking it's done and it ISN'T! I do like it though.

My feet didn't hurt me one bit! I'm still using my Ryka crosstrainers but with the superfeet (pink) insoles ($45 eek!), but they work! Maybe my shoes were a bit worn out (I guess they may be a year old or so) so that might have added to it, thing is they still look good!

Kathryn, I bought the Nike Zoom Nucleus Motion control+ for DS, my running shoes are Addidas Adistar Salvation.

Ronne, no I'm not too worried. It's basal cell --- the most common type and not deadly like melanoma. My Mom got them a lot so was just common to go get them removed, it's best to catch early and these are not caught in the earliest stage so that means cutting out and stitches instead of freezing like they do on my face now.

Murphy, I like to putter around before I exercise, so getting up and getting to it before driving to work will be very hard for me.

I really liked the vet. She gave us something for ulcers (Sucralfate) that Maddy will be on indefinitely....she did bloodwork and urine--wanted to do a BP check but said she will come to the house to do that so Maddy is in her own environment. Maddy was shaking as usual. I the stress of the visit plus the fact she was picky in her eating as caused us a downward slide in her eating....she's only picked at meat yesterday and today still isn't eating. I've been through so much food to try to see if she will eat and now our last shot is a McDonalds hamburger. I think her tummy hurts and she doesn't trust any food. The vet should call today with the results and she said it would be a 40 min call (OMG, I've never had a 40 min call from any dr!). So, either we will figure out what to do, or find out it's the same old thing, or find she's worse. I don't know which I want and putting faith that whatever is to be will happen and I will be able to deal with it. Sorry to bring you all down. I do have to say Maddy is a toughie and I probably couldn't have dealt with everything she's gone through although I wish most times I could take her pain away.

Enough of that.....maybe if I click my heels 3 times I can go to London too? and get away from it all?

Okay, today is power walk day b/c the baby woke up screaming last night (nightmare?) and would not go back to sleep. I tried to remember if the other one went through this but I must have blocked it out. Anyway, getting up was not an option. I am still plan on trying either Step Moves or Athltic Step before the weekend is over. I probably need to watch it in slow motion so I can get all the steps - slow motion will probably be too fast for me! :)

Speaking of Nike shoes. DH is a big fan of Nike and I like New Balance. We have a deal that DD1 will wear Nike's and DD2 will wear New Balance. Does anyone remember when the grocery store used to sell sneakers? That was a lifetime ago.

Murphy

Happy Friday everyone! Today I tried to do P90X Ch/Sh/Tri, I just couldn't get into it (and I think that I will not do P90X much), so I stopped after 20 min and got on the treadmill for 30 min and tried out my new running shoes....I love them! My feet didn't hurt at all, amazing!

Maddy's kidney numbers in the bloodwork are worse :( However I did ask this new vet point blank if it was "the end" and she said, no, definitely not. So the plan is changing up/decreasing some of the meds (maybe that is taxing her kidneys). She's on her ulcer medicine which seems to be helping too. We are doing fluids under the skin, went in for a lesson and this vet showed us a MUCH EASIER way than the last one, I even did it! I'm so proud of myself! :) Then she wants to feed Maddy duck or rabbit and wants to use regular dog food (or I can homecook, but i prefer not to do that---Maddy too) with the protein of canned between 5-8%....she isn't wanting to use the RX food (protein 4%) ...thank goodness Maddy hates it. This food plan goes against all I've learned, however this vet is supposed to know her stuff, so I think she is choosing what is best for MADDY OVERALL, not what a normal kidney dog should eat. We also start acupuncture in a week and a half to address Maddy's pain in her leg (from an injury) and to increase blood flow to her kidneys. This morning Maddy ate her new food so hoping the new plan will work and that MAddy will be happy.

Hope everyone has a good weekend...it's snowing here today, can you believe it....typical for us, as soon as the daffodils bloom we get one last blast of winter :)

Lisa, I'm glad that Maddy's prognosis is good, and you have a vet who is willing to work with you. I showed DD the "killer" picture of Maddy, and she thought it was so cute (although she couldn't understand why anybody would name such a sweet dog "Killer!").

Snow? Better you than me! It was only 40 degrees here this morning, but is supposed to get up to 70. We should have a nice day for soccer tomorrow.

I did Powerstrike 5 this morning. DH got up (surprise!) and wanted to work out with me, so I had to do a workout that he knows. That cuts the list down a lot!

So glad it's the weekend... this has been a tough week because of the time change. My body still hasn't adapted.

I don't think I'll be starting Insanity this weekend. Maybe next week. I need to preview it to get motivated for it (or scared away from it!)... :D

A great weekend to all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.