fBFL for Sun Jan-27-08

bayerngirl

Cathlete
Good morining ladies,

Today is a REST and FREE DAY for me! I will do a light yoga or stretch later! I am making a Butternut squash lasagna for me today!

Sherry** great job on BF! I hear you on the space in your family room! My family room looks like a gym!

Kathy** way to go on your 9 mile run yesterday! Enjoy your rest/ yoga day today! I love your workout room! Very nice!

Melissa** congrats on your weight loss! You lost 6.8 pounds? WOW! That is fantastic! Funny the guy at your fitness store is giving your DD all the pink weights! Great workout! High five on the 83 lb squats! You go girl! I am jealous about your weight bench!

Gayle**I am glad you are starting to feel better! What is lower body workout going to look like for Monday? I also have lower body! Monday! I need ideas!

Susan** hope you enjoyed your rest day yesterday! Nice workouts last week!

Heidi** did you get your cellar organize? Hope you had fun!

Jennifer** I am glad you are starting to feel better!

Michelle**great job on your elliptical workout at 10:00 last night! You are so funny!

Have a great workout/Free day today!
Belinda

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497

Belinda, Have a nice rest/free day!! I have not decided a workout for today yet, probaby just a power walk. As of right now Im feeling a bit queasy, but when I perk up I will do something.
Hi to all!! Have a great day!!!

Morning!

Belinda - Mmmmm....butternut squash lasagna sounds good! Enjoy your rest day.

Susan - I hope your stomach settles down soon. :(

I'm going to get some stretching in the afternoon or evening. I may do a short leisurely walk on the treadmill to warm up first (I have a hard time stretching when I'm cold). I'm making some low fat banana bread that someone posted a recipe to....I substituted splenda/sugar blend for the sugar and eggbeater for the egg. It smells wonderful! I also want to make up some more BFL turkey bacon quiche (crustless) and another batch of breakfast cookies. It's great to have breakfast made in containers for work in the morning.

Enjoy your day.
Kathy

Belinda..the lasagna sound wonderful..would you mind sharing the recipe?? I love butternut squash. I have tried butternut squash ravioli and its YUM!
Kathy..I have a great whole wheat banana bread recipe..its one I got from Dr. Weil's recipe a day. If you would like it let me know. And, tell me about your breakfast cookie pleasssee??

Hi ladies,

I went to our PX yesterday and bought a MP3 player! I already have iTrain and my music on it! I love it! I am so excited! iTrain here I come!

Susan** have fun with your power walk later!

Kathy** that butternut squash lasagna is yummy! I made it a few times! I will post the recipe later! Your banana bread sounds delish! I have been cooking like a fool last few days! I do have to admit I love to cook! I don’t like the cleaning up! I also made my DH reg. lasagna!

Hi to the rest of the girls!

Have a wonderful day!
Belinda

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497

Good morning Belinda, Susan, Kathy and all who follow.

Rest day here today. I need to stretch, so will do something to move and get the kinks out.

End of week 8 and no miracle here, yet. I've lost a bit of focus and most importantly, my eating has wandered. So results for the past 2 weeks are:

weight: still 149 (but down 5 pounds from the start)
body fat: still 34% (but down from 38%)
chest: no change at 37" (down 1" from start)
waist: down 1/4" to 30", really, how'd that happen (down 2" from start)
hips: still at 41", this is the stubborn fat (down 1" from start)
thighs: 24" (down 1" each from start)
biceps: still the same (not up or down from start, thank goodness)

I know I've got the exercise part down fairly solid, And even feel that I'm starting to see more definition, whatever the measurements say, so it's all in the eating, which is 80% as they say. I headed over to the body for life site for some inspiration, and Mike Harris had just posted the following for someone else - he might as well have been talking to me.

TWO things will make the difference between a mediocre result and an excellent one:
1. "You have to want it."
2. "You have to stop shoveling junk down your throat, and start eating good foods in the right quantities." Porter Freeman

So with renewed interest and vigor, I'm going to make these next 4 weeks the best yet. I will be planing my meals and sticking to it. I have renewed vigor to deal with my emotional eating, which is what it has been, mostly due to stress with job. Thank you to all of you for your support.

Belinda - enjoy your rest day.

Susan - hope you feel better quickly

Kathy - I might just need to try those breakfast cookies. What was the recipe again?

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday! I am soooo happy today. I weighed myself again this morning and am down another lb from yesterday!! Tt was pretty easy for DD to convince me to go to IHOP for pancakes this morning...:p !

Belinda - DD was disappointed, no pink weights this time!! He must have finally given her all he had.

Kathy - is that breakfast cookie receipe from Tosca Reno? She has one in her cookbook that I've been wanting to try but the serving size is one. I just don't think I'll be able to stop at one cookie, even if it's a healthy cookie!

Sherry - congrats on your measurements! Good advice there from Mike Harris. It sounds so simple, but sometimes so HARD to do. Sounds like you are on track though. You'll see that "miracle" in no time!

Susan - I hope you are feeling better as the day goes on.

BBL!

Susan – I’d love the whole wheat banana bread recipe!

Belinda – I’d also love the butternut squash lasagna recipe!

Sherry – You’ve made a lot of progress and you’ve held steady, and that’s a huge accomplishment. Be proud of yourself, we are! I really liked the quotes, they are so very true.

Melissa – Congratulations on the pound loss, yay! Yum, IHOP pancakes are to die for…which kind did you order? My favorite are usually the harvest nut and grain but the last time we went there they had carrot cake and let me tell you I was in heaven, lol!

Here’s the recipe for the breakfast cookie. I usually make the big batch and divide it into 8 smaller cookies and freeze them with parchment paper between them (for easy separation when packing my food for the day). Be warned, they are not very attractive looking, a co-worker commented on how could I eat that, lol. I told him it tasted better than it looked and he laughed. It’s not very sweet and I like it that way because it doesn’t set me up for sugar cravings after…I use them as a carb with my eggwhite/eggbeaters in the morning.

Ingredients for 1 BIG Cookie:
• 1/3 cup cups oatmeal
• 1 Tb raisins
• 1 Tb flour
• 1/3 cups fat-free dry milk
• ¼ cup applesauce (no-sugar added)
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. baking powder
• 1 Tb Splenda or other no-calorie sweetener *

Ingredients for a batch of 4 BIG Cookies (or 8 smaller ones):
Note: These cookies are huge and filling. You might even want to bake them as 6 smaller cookies for less points!
• 1¼ cups oatmeal
• ¼ cup raisins
• ¼ cup flour
• 1½ cups fat-free dry milk
• 1 cup applesauce (no-sugar added)
• 1½ tsp. cinnamon
• 1½ tsp. baking powder
• ¼ cup Splenda or other no-calorie sweetener *
*Using sugar instead of Splenda adds 1 pt per cookie
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a LARGE cookie sheet with Pam or use two smaller cookie sheets. Mix all ingredients together and spoon 4-8 mounds on sheet. Bake for 15 minutes for 8 or 20 minutes for 4 (or 1).

(You can even freeze a whole batch of these and then eat them throughout the week! Just thaw them to room temperature, or nuke in the microwave for 30 seconds, before serving.)

Oh, and here’s a link to the low fat banana bread. I made one loaf (cut the recipe in half) and substituted ¼ cup Splenda Blend (Splenda/sugar mix) and 1/8 cup eggbeaters for the egg and it turned out very good! I put the recipe in Fitday and it’s about 150 calories if a slice if you cut the loaf into 6 pieces.

http://www.recipezaar.com/52206

Kathy

Hi girls,

Butternut Squash Lasagna:9 :* :p

courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Cook's Note: The no-boil lasagna noodles can be substituted with fresh spinach lasagna sheets. Look for fresh lasagna sheets in the refrigerated section of specialty markets.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
3 amaretti cookies, crumbled
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
Pinch nutmeg
3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
12 no-boil lasagna noodles ( I used ww lasange noodles!
2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.
Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender*. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.

Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth

Enjoy!

Belinda

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497:9 :* :p

Thank you for all of the recipes ladies! I will print them out later. Haven't made it out the door to IHOP yet. DH is out brushing off the truck and warming it up. It's snowing here today. And everyone in is SLOOOOWWWWW motion!

Kathy - I'm hoping they have carrot cake pancakes. Those sound delish. If they don't, I'll have to go with buttermilk.

I'm making the EFL Pot Roast for dinner today and adding my mom's recipe for macaroni and cheese. I'm really looking forward to it. I think I'm going to break out my bread machine and bake a loaf of wheat bread as well.

Okay, DH is done with the truck....OFF TO IHOP!!! :9

Good morning all!!

Wow, I actually slept in today. After my workout at 10:00 last night, I was just so pumped I couldn't sleep! I probably fell asleep around 2:00. Okay, I'm not going to do that again! Tomorrow it is back on the 4:30 a.m. train!!

I sure do love this forum! Here it is a free day and we are talking healthy recipes -- and I'm drinking a shake. I love it!! I have to say - I haven't really been taking "free days". I think lately I have been more 90/10 instead of 80/20 -- I pretty much try to stay on track -- then if I cheat a little - I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

For instance yesterday a group of us met at Chick-fil-a. I had no idea what I could eat. I went on-line and looked at the calories. I thought I should have the sandwich, but the nuggets had a lot less calories (probably because no bun) - so I had the nuggets and my water. I don't feel guilty - I just move on. I may have cheated a little -- but it wasn't like I went through McDonalds and double sized everything!

Now today, I truly don't feel like straying at all -- so strange!

Anyway, sorry to ramble -- I just REALLY wanted to do BFL all the way -- and I feel like I am with the workouts -- and mostly with the eating -- I just really don't like having one big cheat day. I hope this doesn't affect my progress. Any thougths??

BBL-
Michelle

Belinda and Kathy thank you soo much for the recipes.
Kathy the cookies sound good and Im gald not too sweet. I don't use artificial sweetners so I will substitute sugar. Do I had the same amount of sugar as splenda?

Belinda. I will be making your lasanga..it sounds wonderful!.I just saw Barefoot Contessa make Butternut Squash Risotto..yum. I"ll post it here for you.
1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
2 ounces pancetta, diced
1/2 cup minced shallots (2 large)
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (10 ounces)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. You should have about 6 cups. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.

In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan. Mix well and serve.

All this has made me hungry!!
I made some of my Green Pea Soup that I love so I'll have that for the week.
I still feel kinda queasy..not sick though. Its either pms or I am pregnant. We have been trying for a few months..so who knows. I don't feel pregnant though...won't know either way for a week.

Melissa..awesome on the weight loss! You are doing great!

Sherry I am kinda where you are..no major change and my eating hasnt been 100%. I was 121.0 this morning..and I think thats about where I started. We can do it though. Just keep on keeping on.

Oh my gosh Susan -- I didn't know you were trying to get pregnant! Yeah!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! That is so exciting.

Michelle

Just reading through the posts...

Sherry - So you have hit that "magical" 8 weeks. I'm so bummed you are not jumping up and down with excitement -- for some reason we all think that at week 8 we will have hit our goals. I guess I need to stop thinking that way as well. It is a slow process -- and really 8 weeks isn't that long.

Seems like I'm doing the same as you. After 4 weeks only down two pounds -- but I am also down a an inch in the waist. To me that is worth more than any pounds on the scale!!! So, keep your eye on the tape measure, because it looks like you are doing great.

The eating, the eating, the eating. I'm with you -- not really sure really how much I'm cheating. I truly feel like I'm eating right 80-90% of the time. Why can't that be good enough??!!! I know that Gayle ate 100% BFL for her challenge to get her awesome results.

To be honest, I really need 80-90% to be enough. I want this to be Body for LIFE -- not just for 12 weeks. I know I can eat 80-90% for Life but not 100% for Life.

I don't know, just rambling! I wish I had all the answers.

Michelle

Thanks all for your positive thoughts. I shoveled some snow and walked the track above the skating rink while DD took lessons, so I feel much better now. I'm still amazed how much exercise helps my mood.

Still on the to do list for the day - plan next week's meals and hit the grocery store. But eat clean first because with all of those recipes, I'm hungry! Thanks Belinda, Kathy and Susan.

Melissa - Congrats on the weight loss - down yet another pound. Enjoy those pancakes!

Susan - We'll keep our fingers crossed for you - hopefully it will be the news you've wanted.

Michelle - Great exercising last night. Cardio late in the day keeps me up also. I've trying to look on the positive side (and the tape measure) and notice that the waist is down a bit despite everything. And if I make it just a little more to get under 30", then I'll get myself another reward. Last time it was buying the Pyramids; this time either a bigger step or a barbell. I definitely with you on the eating. But I'm focusing on the next 4 weeks, which isn't really that long.

BBL!

Kathy here is the banana bread recipe. I just now realized it was egg free...and I have made it twice.HA
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, plus a little more for oiling the loaf pan
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Instructions
1. Heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a loaf pan. 2. Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, canola oil and vanilla extract.

3. Stir together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nuts.

4. Blend the two mixtures and spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set.

We have been trying since I think August to get preg. I miscarried at 7 weeks in October. My dr said she expected it to take 6 months for me to conceive again. We'll see. I won't try too much longer. My dh is 45 and me 42..so time is running out.

This may not be the cleanest for sure...but I just had the Lean Cusine BBQ Chicken Pizza. For a micro pizza it wasnt too bad. I usually make homemade ww crusts, but was in a hurry.

Hope everyone is having a nice rest day.

Well I feel much better, but didn't workout. We went shopping and the sun finally came out so we stayed out for a few hours..it was a nice change from gloomy 30degree weather.
DH smoked a pork butt..so we'll be having that for supper. Not too clean but yummy!
Im looking forward to a fresh clean start tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.