ETL Challenge 1-05

Mckmain

Cathlete
Good morning ETLers

My day yesterday was similar to the previous:
B: Smoothie, 2 cups frozen fruit, 3/4 cup light vanilla soymilk,2 T ground flaxseed, and 1 scoop soy protein powder
L: Big salad like yesterday
Snack: genisoy bar
D: Thai roasted garlic soup with rice noodles and added veggie broth and portobello mushrooms, streamed broccoli, and big salad
Dessert: another smoothie minus the flax to split with my DH

Barb...I wouldn't even worry about Fuhrmans grain issue, do what makes YOU feel good. Maybe replacing one grain food with a bean food instead would work. Thanks for the Burger recipe...:)

Charlotte...when I started ETL in 5/04 I also started a P90X rotation (not sure if you are familiar with it or not) It is tough for weight lifting and as far as energy I had tons for any workout except runs of 10 miles or more. That is when I used a gel with protein in it for those runs and then I felt better. My body did adjust and soon I did not need the extra protein. Your sweet potato recipe looks great but I will have to sub regular potatoes...not a sweet potato fan in any way...in fact, that could be almost anything sweet...:(..I love salt though...:)

Maggie..I liked the Spectrum dressings Fuhrman recommended. Especially the Zesty Italian. Good website...:)

Jacque...looks like you are doing great!! Thanks for the link for the cookbook...:)

Marnie...I sure can understand what you went thru at your MIL's. These things will always happen...:)...once you get into the ETL groove you will find ways to deal with it. But once in awhile will not hurt you..:)

Kim...yes, it looks like your time zone is way ahead of us!! Looks like you are doing well with your fruits and veggies.

Tina...Thank you! Good job on kicking caffeine....no way I will ever do that but I do cut back...;)..I love artichokes.

Diane...of course you are welcome here! The more , the merrier...:)...sometimes when I think I am a bit low on protein, I get these baked tofu squares (they are seasoned and good) at my local health food store. Maybe you could smuggle them into your restaurant salad..:)

Carole--thanks for the support. I do feel good eating grains throughout the day..and eating 6 mini meals or even 8 mini meals.
It seems to keep my energy stable....Also, if I eat more early in the day, I seem to do better....

Everyone looks to be really eating healthy!

The foods I tend to eat most are:

-Ezekiel Food for Life English Muffins--
-Broccoli (a 16-0z package of WF brand frozen organic broccoli has about 20 g of protein!--this was surprising to me!)
-Organic frozen fruit in smoothies or cooked up as a quickie cobbler or pudding--
-Legumes of all type: lentil soup, cooked beans,chili -- dals, burrito filling
-Organic earthbound salad mixes --because they are so easy
-Cooked grains -- faves are bulgur, oat bran
-I like to eat potatoes or fruit right after bigger cardio workouts like a long run or hard run

Marnie--family gatherings are tough. It can be so awkward to feel like all eyes are on you and your plate!

Thanks to everyone for all the interesting links!

-Barb
:)

Carole- I am still doing the fruit smoothies too after workouts. This week I 'm hooked on mixing frozen wild blueberries ( lower sugar content) and frozen peaches.

Barb- 20 g of protein in 16oz of broccoil? What brand is WF? Generally we just buy fresh broccoli. DD eats it for breakfast. My kids are polar opposites, the boys eat chocolate milk and gatorade for Br. and DD #1 eats veggies for breakfast. DD#2 is somewhere in between. DD #1 and I are trying to encourage the others to eat more veggies. DH doesn't eat breakfast.

Today I will try to fanagle a veggie soup out of broccoli slaw and muchrooms, veggie broth and perhaps tofu or beans.

We will most likely eat out tonight which means cheeseless pizza or a nice salad

Yesterday I snacked on some BBQ soy nuts while cooking dinner and it helped. It was a better choice than tortilla chips.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Hi Ladies -

Yesterday for dinner we ended up just throwing something together. Neither of us wanted to eat the split pea soup, just not in the mood. So I threw together one egg white omelette with mushrooms and tomatoes for DH and I to split (ETL says you can have eggs twice a week, right??), a salad of mixed greens and a few veggies, some zucchini and some Ezekiel bread with natural peanut butter for dessert. Then menu doesn't make any sense, we just threw it together with what we had.

Today's lunch will be a little bit of a challenge. I am going to a Mediterrian place with some friends. I am thinking of getting a plate of hummus and taboili (sp?) and a side salad if they have it. Is that a healthy meal? I know the hummus will have tahini in it and the pita bread won't be whole wheat. Any other ideas?

For dinner tonight, I will have another challenge. A group of girlfriends and I are going to a wine bar together. I am not sure if we are eating dinner there or not, but they will probably get some cheese with the wine. I will try to refrain, but cheese is a big weakness for me, especially some yummy brie.

Do y'all follow the 90/10 rule? DH and I generally have a date night on Friday nights and we go out to dinner. This is the one meal that we will eat what we want (be it pasta or pizza or steak). DH always feels guilty about it, but I really don't. I eat pretty healthy all week, and one horrible meal a weak shouldn't hurt. Anyone else do this? Is this a bad idea?

Hi ladies:)

Carole--I'll have to go find that dressing. The store where I usually shop doesn't carry much but the standard types of salad dressing.

Marnie--I have high cholesterol and I don't want to go on medication because I am conserned about side effects, so your story was interesting to me.

Diane--welcome:) I don't think one "bad" meal a week should hurt. I looked at your picture trail. You look great. I'd enjoy your date night without guilt:9 .

Well, I still feel nauseaus from the stomach bug, so I ate really well for lunch and breakfast yesterday (fruits, veggies and beans), but in the evening, I just could not tolerate anything but salt, so I had a few tortilla chips. I did not blow it calorie-wise, but I'm trying to do the really strict 6 week thing and so far I've blown it.

I'm trying to think of what sounds appetizing right now. I think I'll go have some fruit.

I lost 18 lbs the first time I did this this summer. I'd like to lose an additional 12 lbs.

Maggie:)

Maggie--hope you feel better. It's hard to eat "just so" when you're not feeling well. It's ok to have a few tortilla chips -- and if the salt helped with your nausea -- that's a good choice! Congrats on the 18# loss.

Judy--WF -- is Whole Foods 365 brand -- the protein info is what is on the bag, so I'm assuming that's correct. Very interesting about your kids taste preferences? I think we are all wired to eat and feel best in a variety of different ways.

Diane--you look great. I think it's super you are having a date night and you enjoy DHs company. That's most important I think. I think hummus & tabouli sounds good. What about olives with the wine and slightly less cheese?

Barb
:)

I had a vegetarian platter at the restaurant for lunch, but I could tell there was a ton of oil in the hummus and other dishes. I ate mostly the hummus and taboili. The salads there use iceberg lettuce, so there wasn't really a point in getting that on the side, as it would just add more dressing.

Good idea about the olives. I will try to only have a couple bites of cheese instead of a ton.

Hi ETL fans!

20g protien in broccoli? Wow.

Diane - Brie- mmmmm Good luck! Your wedding pictures are beautiful

Maggie - were you able to maintain the 18# loss? Hope you feel better. I had some stomach trouble a week ago and just could not face a salad.

I'm glad to see that most of you are not going by the "no between meal snack" rule. When I was trying this before the holidays, I found I just had to have a smoothie or something after cardio.

Here's a question some of you more experienced can help me with. In the book Fuhrman is talking about restricting your starches to a cup a day. Then he says something (I don't have the book handy) that if you are diabetic (or prone to it?) or have trouble losing weight no matter what that you could restrict this altogether. Does he mean no starches? I know you don't have to combine protiens in one meal but I thought that at some point during the day you had to have all the required amino acids and that grains had some of them. Or are those in grains also in veggies? I don't know if I'm expressing myself correctly - I am not well versed in the different types of amino acids.;)

Hope everyone has a great day. My luncheon with my mom has been put off until tomorrow - so I guess Sun. will be my "starting " day. Been trying to eat well anyways. I had to take my mil and her 21 (!) year old cat to the vet today and she had to have him put down. My poor mil has now lost her baby and lost my fil 6 mos ago after 63 years of marraige. My mom lost her dh to cancer in Oct. after losing my dad to the same disease 7 years earlier. My marriage is not doing too good either - been a tough year!

Keep posting the links! I am checking them out. I would like to find a lentil soup recipe that has spinach in it! Marnie:)

Marnie--I don't understand the starches comment or where grains stand either. In another book I have "Becoming Vegan" it has a lot of info about amino acids, etc. and says what you did, that in the course of a day, if you eat a varied diet from non-animal sources, you get necessary amino acids. The book talked about being sure to alternate types of legumes.

Sorry things are rough right now. That sounds difficult.

I heard there's a good recipe for lentil soup with Chard & Orzo in the Vegan Planet cookbook.
Here's 2 more:
http://www.recipezaar.com/120927

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107690

-Barb:)

Hi everyone

I really need to try and eat more beans. I am trying hard to do the six week challenge, but sometimes feel like my diet is missing something - any suggestions? or do you just perservere (sp?) for the six weeks?

Carole - what brand soy milk do you use? Do you also eat soy yogurt?

Marnie - I am so sorry to hear about your mil, your mum and your marriage;( Hope things improve this year:)

I don't know if I could go without snacks between meals now, I am so used to having them (I did only eat two meals a day a few years ago until I read burn the fat feed the muscle). However, sometimes I think that makes me eat more, as in sometimes I will eat 7 or 8 small meals a day. So perhaps if I could just eat three meals a day I would do better. Must say though I don't feel that slump in the afternoon if I have an afternoon snack.

Kim:)

Oh no, I looked at the menu for the wine bar I am going to tonight with some girlfriends -

Texas-style chili, kobe beef burger and king-size "haute dog." And it's not malt liquor but champagne that diners sip with Southern fried chicken, shrimp and grits, and knockout brownie and bread pudding desserts.

It sounds like they have upsale version of downhome southern cooking paired with wine. Hopefully there are some good salad choices...

Hi ladies!! I'm sorry I'm so on the go always :) But its nice to read through your daily diaries :)

I have done great today with the fruits and veggies, but I gave into a mini chocolate bar . ahhh it was one of those tinnny ones:)

I am a bit worried as I am meeting some friends for happy hour, which I never go to but I had a hard week so I think I deserve a drink :)

see ya all later!!! -Tina

Hello Everyone:)

Marnie: I use the same brand of rice protein you mentioned but I just buy the plain stuff. I usually like fruit smoothies so that works best for me.

I noticed a lot of you are asking questions about not following the plan 100%. I usually allow myself a cheat in moderation day on Friday. I allow myself to have a few things here and there I would not otherwise allow myself but I do not go overboard and pig out. . For example today I had a soft preztel and a couple of Vegan chocolate chip cookies. I think as long as you stay on track most of the time 1 or 2 treats a week will not hurt you.

Today's Food:
Breakfast: Quinio with apple, rice milk, rice protein powder, flax seed
Snack: Grapefruit
Lunch: Last of my lentil stew and raw carrots
Snack(weekly cheat): A cliff bar, a soft preztel and a couple of Vegan chocolate chip cookies
Dinner: A Vegetarian chicken sandwhich on sprouted grain bread

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.