ETL Challenge 1/03

Hey everyone:

Day three of ETL is going fine, except for the cocktail hourx( I had oatmeal with soymilk, an apple and some cranberries for breakfast the first day, then ditto expect with only forzen blueberries the second & third days of the year. lots of veggies and salads. What about cocktails?? I am laying off the wine because I think it may be what causes my allergies:-( :-( but am now loving cranberry juice and vodka for my evening toddy. How bad is this, do you think?? It doesn't interfere with keeping my weight in shape. Just is yummy. What would Dr. Furhman say?

I started on 1\2. Today and yesturday I ate basicually the same things. Fruit, beans and veggies. I am going through and adjustment phase and keep craving all the stuff I should not have. However I have been drinking herbal tea and that has been helping a little. I am also setting daily goals in my journal(dorky I know but I swear it helps) and trying to think positive. I really want to get these last 25 pounds off! I am tired of people giving me funny looks when I tell them I am a Vegan and work out almost every day x(

Charlotte, great job on day 3. I'd say the cranberry cocktail is better than the wine... but if I remember from the book, he actually says that if you need the wine, go for a glass because it does have good heart benefits. :)

Jacque, Yes, i am feeling the adjustment, too. I also had a few bad days at work, so I've been really trying to stay away from the junk. I slipped in a few skittles and you know what- they weren't even good!! I just had an orange and a few walnuts, trying to get the energy to workout. And the journal is now dorky! If it works, do it!!

ok, well today I did well with my fruits and veggies, but then got terribly hungry and realized I need to amp up the volume of fruits and veggies. Its hard tobring in a whole grocery bag of food to work!! lol my office mates laugh at me some days.

Alright, I will vow to have a great, healthy dinner, prob some soup and a salad, and yummy, I have some avocado. Love it. :)

See you all later! keep up the good work :)

oops I posted on the jan 2 thread, because I did not see this one.

Do you mind if I join you? I did ETL faithfully this summer and 80% faithfully until the holidays, when I totally fell off the wagon. Dr. Fuhrman would be HORRIFIED!!!

Anyway, I did really well yesterday--fruit for breakfast, a huge salad with lentils and mushrooms and a yellow pepper. Apple in mid afternoon and a huge salad, zuchinni, more lentils, and a baked potato for my one and treasured "starch".

Today, I woke up with a stomach virus that has been making it's rounds thru the family, so I could not tolerate all that fresh stuff. Had a banana, 2 kiwis, some crackers. I'm feeling better, so I'll do better tomorrow.

ETA Charlotte-I lost 18 lbs in 6 weeks during the summer and I "cheated" with a cup of coffee every morning that had 1/2 cup skim milk and 1tsp sugar, so I think a little cheating is okay. I followed the rest of the plan to a T. I've given up caffeine this time, though, because it makes my IBS flare up.

Maggie:)

Hi everyone,

Well so far so good today. Raspberries, blueberres and strawberries for breakfast, banana and grapes mid-morning, salad with lettuce, carrot, mushrooms, sprouts, tomato for lunch. Afternoon snack will be a piece of fruit and veggies for tea.

Am feeling much better since I haven't been stuffing junk down my throat everyday.

Kim:)

Hi ETL's...

Just wanted to say thanks! My first day of no chips!!! And I got in about 70 ounces of water! This check-in has really helped me get back on track.
B: fruit smoothie
L: Big salad with spinach, romaine, red onions, tomato, kidney beans and some avocado. I used a bit of Paul Newmans Olive oil & Vinegar dressing...
Snack: genisoy protein bar
D: Boca Burger sauteed with portobelllo mushrooms and onions, brussel sprouts, some rice and another salad.

Charlotte, I agree with Tina and think Dr Fuhrman said a glass of wine a day has its benefits. But alcohol does slow down your metabolism which makes it easier to gain weight. But hey, I drink light beer sometimes too....so I feel moderation is and always was the key...:)

Jacque...I think it takes about 4 days of not eating the junk food to loose the cravings. I always get weird looks when I say I am a vegan, so vegetarian works better sometimes...I think a journal is a good idea too. When I first started ETL, I used fitday.com to make sure I was getting in all the vitamins my body required too.

Maggie...sorry about the stomach virus....its been going around where I live too. I hope to avoid it!

Kim....isn't it great how you feel avoiding the junk!!

Marnie...I never viewed ETL as a program. To me it was a way of eating for life. I eat this way for health and ethical reasons. I know it is tough to stick with things when stress hits, but in my experience once I get control of my eating (it has been bad!) the stress seems easier to deal with, if that makes any sense...:)..ON a vegan/vegetarian way of eating you don't really need all this protein. I went from 120 grams a day to about 60-80 and lost 19 lbs the first 6 weeks of ETL. There are plenty of plant protein sources out there: tempeh, seitan, tofu, besides the beans that can replace any animal protein you have eaten before.

You are all doing well...:)

Hi ladies -

I just saw this check-in. Do you mind if I join? DH and I have sort of started the ETL plan a few weeks ago. I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I know the basics. However, DH and I are not totally giving up meat. We have 2 chicken dishes for dinner a week, and sometimes I have to eat some kind of meat for lunch. I say that because I eat out every day for lunch at work. My boss has a rule that we must go out to eat for lunches to "network" or whatever. I get in trouble if I eat lunch at my desk. A lot of place I go I can get a salad, but they usually have no protein choices except for meat. So I will get a salad with chicken on it. Today for example, I had a luncheon at work where food was provided - it was fajitas, with no side options beside tortilla chips. So I didn't really have an option today.

Yesterday:
B: steel cut oats with some raspberries
L: veggie burger on ww bun with side salad
D: salad with veggies, cup of tomato soup, 1/2 a Ezekiel tortilla with a bunch of black beans and rice cheese inside (a yummy way to add legumes without putting them on the salad)

Today's menu:

B: Fruit smoothie with flaxseed and protein powder
L: 2 chicken fajitas
D: salad with veggies, side of split pea soup and some chickpeas. A few clementines for dessert.

I have a question for the ETLers. Does anyone know if this diet safe during pregnancy? DH and I are currently trying, so I want to make sure it is okay for me to stay on this diet. I would obviously have to eat a little bit more than usual to get some more calories, but it seems very much in line with what is recommended by the pregnancy books I owe.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.