Depression/Anxiety Check in Nov 14 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

naughtoj

Cathlete
Ok, it's finally up! Yeah! Welcome all!!!:) :) :)

So.........Clare asked a great question:

Here's a question for you:

Why, now that I have finally found a good therapist to help me overcome the stasis I have stagnating in for the last 3 years, not getting on with my life, do I find that I do not want to talk at all? My therapy session is today at 2pm and I have no desire to go, even though, of course, I will. But it isn't always obvious to me what i should talk about. I mean: I live this eality of mine. It isn't interesting. I hate it. I certainly don't want to dwell on it. I just want to set a bomb underneath it all, detonate it, sweep away the crap and start again.

How do you get over the boredom of your own situation? How do you stop seeing therapy as so much solipsism, navel-gazing, endless self-centred speculation, when what you really want is action? Action that you feel paralyzed to take for so many, it seems, unspecified, unclear reasons?

Does any of that make sense to you guys?

You know Clare, I think we get sick of talking about it, hopeless in changing it, it's always there it never goes away so the hell with it. With therapy, when my therapist smugly sits there with her predictable nod, I get angry and think "what in the f are you going to do for me anyway??" I hate that you only go to therapy once a week. I mean, c'mon, that is supposed to "fix" you. By when?? 2009?? HA! I am not actively in therapy (missed one appt and then my therapist called and said I would have to call her and CONFIRM I am coming to every appt, I was like, yeah I don't think so, see ya) but I know the feeling when you get in there and she looks at you and says "So how have you been doing" you just want to go, "well, same thing as yesterday, same ol' crap, different day, what else do you want to know". IT GETS OLD. THAT IS WHY THERAPY GETS OLD. Right??

But, the idea that you can "detonate it all" and feel better is probably not accurate. You likely won't feel better. There will just be something else for you to feel bad about. Sometimes I feel like being depressed is a choice. After all, you make the choice to feel glum every day. That may be true, but I am not sure anymore if it is not part of some people's DNA. I think I am just likely to always be this way. Oh, i know, i know, the books say that feeling is all part of the depression, but hey it doesn't get better. Not on meds, not with therapy, NEVER. I drag through every single day, telling myself I need to work out/eat better to feel better, but I just don't care anymore. It's like 90% of me wants to crawl under the covers or stuff my face 24 hours per day and the other 10% is screaming for me to get my ass of couch, mingle with friends, go shopping, be fit, eat right.

In therapy, isn't what they do is try to get you to realize that you are not different than other people in their worries, difficulties, etc. How can you think differently, think positive, etc...but even if you do all those things, who says you want to keep living anyway?? Your born, you go to school, you get a job, you work your ass off for your kids or in hopes of being able to retire w/o eating cat food for the rest of your life, but then you probably get some chronic disease anyway and then suffer out the rest of your life struggling for your health while you watch that retirement fund drain then you die. The end. I don't know if I want to be on that hamster wheel. Sometimes I get angry at my husband and cats for giving me a reason to live. Without them it would be so easy to make an early exit...

I used to love this forum, love talking about fitness. I felt strong. I felt capable. There were things about my body I did not like but the good outweight the bad. Not so anymore. I feel beaten down and defeated. While I still *like* fitness, inside I feel like a hypocrite and I wonder now if it is not depression but just that over the years I have changed into a different person. A lazy person maybe. Mentally, I am not fit. Yes, I go about my daily business but in my free time I am very reclusive. I usually don't get out of my pajamas. I lay around all day, wondering where that part of me went that used to plant flowers or go shopping. Now I wait until dark to get the mail so that others don't see me walking down the street... It is a struggle now to even go to the grocery store. Other people annoy the crap out of me, on the road, in the store. I run home and close the garage door as quick as I can and breathe a sigh of relief.

I think what it boils down to is I now feel FUNDAMENTALL DIFFERENT form other people and just downright flawed in general. Oh, someone inevitably is going to chime in here and say "Oh, you are no different than the rest of us" (the normal ones). But I am. None of my friends' (ok, aquantances (sp)) days play out like mine. I don't really broadcast my apathy for life, lol. I just cower inside like the freak that I am...

They say "Help others", that getting away from thinking about your self helps. So....I am in nursing school. I help others, to some extent, everyday. But you know what, it is not enough! What began as an opportunity to crawl out of my depression has now spiraled me deeper into it because now am frustrated and feel like I will never make a difference anyway.

Well, this is going to go on forever if I let it. I'll let someone else chime in here. Nice to have you all here!

:D

I'm in for the check-in, but I'm going out of town today, so I'll be back on Sunday.

~Thinking "happy" thoughts and trying to control anxiety~
gradgirl:)

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for years. I have seen a therapist, but she was no help, so now I just suffer. I so much want to be able to go places without the fear of an attack. I have contemplated finding a new therapist. My husband does not understand and will get mad at me for not going out with him to eat. I hate restaurants - cannot eat in front of a lot of people - I get very nervous. At least I have a girlfriend who is very helpful and understands.

I keep thinking back to the time when nothing bothered me and wonder how this has happened to me, what did I do to cause this, and why can I not fix it. I feel like I am missing out on so many things. It can get very depressing at times. Most of the time I can hide my problem but it can be very tiring to do so.

I want to be like other people who do not worry about everything.

Thank you for this check in.

Janice, your openness and honesty is awesome.

I have had those days like you described, but it's not everyday for me.

I fight with it alot and in the fighting, I feel like I'm trying to save my sanity and then I feel guilty for the fight consuming so much of my mental time and energy and then that depresses me too.

What a cycle! I'm very fortunate that it's not a daily battle. I do have some good days.

I also take Lexapro and that has seemed to help during the pms time. I'm 49 and the meno crap is ruff.

Thanks for starting this checkin. I'll just send you cyber-hugs since anything else would most likely be insulting, if you know what I mean.
I wouldn't intend it that way, but I know nice little platitudes would be...atleast to me...sometimes.
(am I making sense?:+ )

Til later

Thanks Kims. I guess I make it sound so bad, but I do have good days too. Mine are just "better". Sometimes I just forget.;-)

I went to the store to get interview clothes and cried all the way home listening to songs that made me think of my Dad. Cried yesterday when the garage door wouldn't close... PMS....

I am crawling with anxiety now getting ready for my interviews. Where's the Xanax when you need it???? LOL...I'll let yall know how it goes. Speaking of panic attacks........}(

Well.....

I GOT IT!!! He told me on the spot he was going to offer me a position!! That was the Tele manager. Med Surg went well too, which was my first choice, so we will see. But I got one for sure!!!:)

That is one thing to feel good about today! I even did pretty well on their test they gave me!

I don't think anyone has noticed this thread is here cuz overall I am talking with myself, lol....

You ain't talkin' to yourself...I'm sure I ain't the only one readin' ya' :)

I'm very excited for you. Keep updating with the details...the ones you feel like sharing, that is.

Janice -

Hi, I just read your post. And I must say that I can feel your pain, I have the same thing going on. There are days that I just don't want to get off the couch. I dread picking up my kids at school because I don't want anyone to see me. I feel terrible about my body and myself in general. I don't know why I am so miserable. I should not be by any means. There is nothing negative going on in my life, and I have a healthy family, no financial worries or anything otherwise that should make me unhappy. But everyday I struggle to be happy. I can't find happyness in anything that I do. I see people that find happyness in everyday things like watching their kids play at the park, or just being alive. And I want so badly to be like them, but everyday I wake up and I am just sad. And I don't understand it why!!! I want to be happy. I try to put myself in a different perspective, but it only works for so long and they I slip back into a deep depression. I used to be so passionate about working out. Everyday, I looked forward to it. Now I have to force myself to get in 3 days a week. I have gained at least 20 lbs and I can't fit into any of my nice clothes anymore. So I just wear sweat pants all the time. I just wish that I could get back to my old self. I don't feel like I know the person I live with everyday. Thanks for starting this tread, and I hope you feel better. Alicia

Hi Everyone! Thank you for your interest in wanting to start a depression/anxiety check-in thread, however, we do request that the check-ins remain on fitness related topics. While I'm sure our moods have a direct reflection on our fitness capabilities, I would like to keep our check-ins supportive, encouraging, and uplifting as we strive towards our fitness goals. I'm sure that this topic can be one of encouragement and support to some degree but, given the nature of the topic, it is inevitable that it will visit some questionable territory and go beyond the scope of fitness. But even more concerning to me is that it will wander into territory that is best left to clinical experts.

Therefore, I have decided against having a depression/anxiety check-in...certainly not to diminish anyone feeling this way, rather to keep the our community focused more specifically on fitness.

Thank you in advance for working within our forum guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.