Deanies Rotation Check in Wednesday 5/9

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning Girls

Today was back and biceps. It was a tough workout. My biceps are feeling it. So far I'm not sure if I like this weeks workouts. Weeks 1-3 seemed to flow better, or maybe I'm getting tired of all the changing of dvds (today was 5) and again, I wasn't well set up for the workout and had to keep changing my barbell weights. I actually have 2 barbells and I think next time I am going to keep one set up with 50# for all the barbell rows, maybe easier that way. I also got tired of all the barbell curls and subbed in a dumbell curl instead at one point. I am looking forward to the next 3 days, when I pop in a dvd and let it do its thing! Okay, enough complaining from me. :)

Today I don't work so I am taking it easy. DH is coming home from his work trip tonight! Hurray!

Gin/Tracee- did you get your P90X dvd? What do you think?

Hope you all have great workouts today!
BBL,

Deanie

Good morning.

Deanie - I agree with you completely about getting tired with changing all of the dvd's. I was thinking how nice it was going to be to just do one all the way through. Ha!

Today however was easier for me than Monday. I only used two dvd's because I didn't have the ones you listed on the sheet. So I started with PS and then went to GS Back & Biceps and it worked well. The thing that takes me so long on the first day is figuring out what weight I can lift since we're only doing 10 reps. Especially with the barbell since that is new for me. I had it at the max of 40 lbs for rows and deadlifts but I think I'm going to see if some of dh's old weights will fit on my barbell to make it a little heavier.

I'm feeling it in my upper back already but not much in my biceps so far. We'll see how they feel tomorrow because I had to decrease in weight as each bicep exercise kept coming up. Ha! I could do 30lbs with the barbell but had to do 12's with the db's and eventually down to 10's.

Enjoy your free day, Deanie. I'm stuck at work all day but there aren't many people here so it should be pretty quiet.

Marcy and Gin - Have a great workout day.

Oh, and I haven't received my Core dvd yet.

Tracee

Good Morning!

Today I did David Swenson yoga and ran 3 miles. Are you guys feeling tired again this week with the heavy lifting? Or is it just me?

I have not received my Core Syn. dvd yet.
I hear you on the changing of the dvds. I don't have PS, so I had 3 to change. My biceps are a little sore today. Don't remember that ever happening. I probably could have gone heavier on some of the back exercises, but 15 # dbl is my limit on biceps right now.

Have a great day!
Gin:D

Okay, I think I am going to look at it today (don't be mad Marcy:) ) and see if we can just use PS and GS for today.

And yes Gin, I AM tired this week!

Deanie

Hi Ladies,

Today wasn't a good day for me. I got up again at 3 a.m. and got up a little late this morning. I only did Back & Biceps. Didn't have time for Ab Ripper X which was fine with me and I was too exhausted to do it anyway. The left side of my neck has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks. It hurts to turn it. I tried changing pillows and that didn't help. I think I might have to go to the chiropractor. Hopefully, yoga and a massage tomorrow will help a little bit. I had very little energy for pullups and chinups today so I didn't do very well with them. As for the rest:

Lawnmowers: 9 reps at 30.5#
21s: 21 reps at 15# (like Cathe's crazy 8's)
One-Arm Cross-Body Curls: 7 reps at 15#
Elbows-Out Lawnmowers: L arm: 10 reps at 30.5#, R arm: 9 reps at 30.5#
Standing Bicep Curls: 10 reps at 15#
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows: 8 reps at 29#
Open Arm Curls: 8 reps at 15#
Static Arm Curls (supposed to be a 16 rep exercise): Did 4 reps at 15# and didn't have any energy to do any more.
Congdon Locomotives (40 rep exercise): 40 reps at 13# - will go up next time.
Crouching Cohen Curls: 8 reps at 15#
One-Arm Corkscrew Curls: 5 reps at 15#, 7 reps at 12#
Seated Bent-Over Flys: 10 reps at 15#
Curl Up/Hammer Down: 5 reps at 15#, 1 rep at 13# (fell apart again!)
Hammer Curls: 4 reps at 15#, 1 rep at 13# (running out of steam fast!)
Superman: 5 holds of 10 seconds each
In-Out Hammer Curls: 4 reps at 13# (only have a few ounces of energy left)
Strip Set Curls: Almost didn't do these but managed 7 reps at 13#, 8 reps at 10#, 8 reps at 8# and 8 reps at 5#. (You're supposed to start at highest weight and go down 5# for 4 rounds.)

Obviously, my back is stronger than my biceps.

It was annoying changing my weights all the time too. I have more plates now and I got the spring collars which really help but I still feel like I'm wasting too much time changing weights. I will eventually get an extra barbell too.

Tracee - Glad your workout was easier today. Last night I decided what weights I would use today and it made it much easier. A little pre-planning definitely helps. Hope your DVD comes soon.

Gin: I finally made it to 15# on biceps! I don't know how I did it today of all days when I'm feeling like crap.

Deanie: Enjoy your day off from work.

Have a good day all. BBL.

Marcy

Okay, heres what I worked out using PS and GS only:

Day 3 back and bi and abs since this is a "no repeat" workout, the last 3 reps should be difficult.
PS: T bar rows
Bent over rows
Barbell curls
Seated dumbbell curls
Shrugs
One arm rows
Negative curls
Concentration curls
T bar rows (substitute deadlifts?)<----should we sub deadlifts or not?
Bent over rows
Barbell curls
Seated dumbbell curls

GS: DB row
Back extensions (superman)
BB curl
DB partial curl
T back squeeze with band
BB pullover
Curl turn down
Hammer curl
T back squeeze with band
DB 1 arm row
DB partial curl
Concentration curl
15 min ab work of choice- LIC, MM, PS abs combo

Gin- since you don't have PS I'm thinking maybe you can do GS and HSTA (Then go back to GS, repeating the last 4 excersises)or just do GS twice.

Marcy- what do you think?

If this gets the okay from Marcy, I will be doing this from now on!
Deanie

eta: Marcy- I still think you did great today! even with being tired!

Thanks, Deanie. This rotation sounds fine. You know you all really should get the whole P90X system (I'm enabling again}( ) so this way you won't have to change discs all the time! Like I said, you could skip getting Cardio X and Ab Ripper X because they're included on other workouts. Also, since you guys have a few yoga DVDs, you might be able to skip Yoga X. I don't know what stretching DVDs you have, but you might want to skip this too but I like it. IMAXes are sufficient to sub for Plyo X and KPC, KM and CK are sufficient enough to sub for Kenpo. I would mainly look to get the strength workouts because I think they're awesome!

Strength Workouts:

Back & Biceps
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Chest & Back
Shoulders & Arms
Legs & Back (lot of non-weighted leg work for those of you who are worried about bulking)

Marcy

Marcy- I've thought about it. But with Cathe coming out with new dvds I'd rather spend my $ on those. For me this rotation is just going to be a one shot deal. If I ever want to do it again, I will seriously look into buying the dvds you've suggested above!!

Just curious.....
I was actually wondering if we are getting such great results because we are lifting as heavy as possible? and not working each muscle group to failure in the same way Cathe does.(which would be easy to change using her mix and match feature) I'm wondering how my body is going to respond to Cathes weight work when the rotation is over. At some point I would like to do a PS 3 week rotation using the series as is and doing Imax, kickbox and yoga on the non weight days to see the results. I am happy to say, I could easily live with the less cardio!! I am worried I will lose what I've gained in this rotation if I don't keep it up..... Obviously I have to much time on my hands today....:+ :+ :7

Deanie

Hi Deanie,

Someone just asked about losing definition after doing the Gym Styles for a month. If you remember, I did a Jari rotation in February after doing a Gym Style rotation and I lost definition. Since lifting heavy again, I've gained it back. I can also deal with less cardio. I don't know if I'll want to do Cathe's weight work as is or if I'll just go as heavy as I can and go to failure. Your PS rotation sounds like a good idea and since I haven't used them yet, it might be a good thing for me. I will definitely be doing P90X in the future but I'll probably sub a lot more for cardio and yoga. I can't wait to do step again. If I do PS when the X is over, I'll probably use all my new workouts that I've beeen dying to try. Maybe 3 weeks PS and 1 week S&H? I feel like I'll always want to have yoga in my rotations from now on.

I'm also curious to hear more about her 4 day split and her "S&H2". These are the only ones I really want right now of the new ones and also if she makes another advanced step, I'll definitely get that. I hope she comes up with some new choreography though.

Marcy

Marcy - Congrats on doing many of the bicep exercises with 15 lbs. Especially on a day where you felt less than 100%

I'm also thinking that less cardio and heavy lifting is what is making the difference for me. I never saw this much definition when I worked out consistently for a year straight. So I think now I'm working smarter, not harder. So whatever rotation I end up following in the future I'll be substituting some days if it has too much cardio. Does that make sense?

Marcy - I agree with you about Cathe's new workouts. I'm interested in the same ones that you are. I wish she would get back on line and give us some kind of update.

Deanie - I think your substitutions look good and I would definitely do deadlifts instead of additional rows. This morning I did the dead lifts and wide grip rows on my own and it was fine that way. I'm probably going to stick with the rotation the way it was though since it worked for me today.

Have a good evening everyone. I'm not sure which yoga I'll do tomorrow. My hips were sore for 3 days after doing the BB challenge yoga. I'm not sure I'm ready to go through that again. :)

Tracee

Good Afternoon!
I have probably missed you guys, but I have been running errands all day on my day off. My DH just talked to a contractor about finishing our basement so I can workout down there. It will be probably be more than we want to spend. I just bought SJP/SB. I have always loved that one. I am also interested in Cathe's new 4 day split and S&H2. Since I don't have the 1st S&H will I want both?? Maybe she won't offer a pre-sale this time?!?!

Marcy-- Hope you are able to sleep better tonight. Are you scheduled for a massage? Could you believe DWTS when Joey was voted in the bottom 2? I thought it would be Ian.

Deanie--I will look at your revision. I kind of miss doing Cathe's weight work as is esp. since I am not seeing the results that you guys are!:-( I also miss more cardio.:-(

Tracee--Wonder what pose made your hips sore from yoga. Are they usually tight?

Gin

Well guys, I guess I just wasn't meant to own Core Synergistics. I just got an e-mail that they cancelled my sale because it violated their policy. It was hard to tell but I think it was something about trademark infringement or something. Gin, I hope you didn't buy yours from the same person I did.

I'm pretty bummed about it but I'll just look forward to more Cathe's.

Have a good evening.

Tracee

Okay Tracee--I also just received the same e-mail! So I guess I was trying to buy from the same person as you. Wonder what happedned? Maybe I just wasn't meant to own that workout. Anyway, it sounded WAY to tough for a weakling like me!!}( }(

Gin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.