Deanies Rotation Check In 1/18

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning Chicas!!:)

Today was yoga for me. I ended up doing David Swensons 45 min. yoga practice. I haven't done yoga in so long, I was not as flexable as I was when I did it every day. My head was not in it today. Too much going on at home. It was still nice to do something different. Now my challenge is to do the yoga once a week and get back some flexablity!

Tracee- Have you used your new shoes? How were they?

I did answer yesterdays thread, so I don't want to repeat myself....

Have a good day all,
BBL,

Deanie

Good Morning!
Quick check-in before I head off to school.
I did MIS upper body today and will hopefully go to swim class this aft.
I try to do yoga 3 x a week. I think it is esp. helpful as I am getting on up there in age. I do not want to be the 65 yer old woman that is stiff and inflexible, if I can help it!!:) I go to a yoga class twice a week and do 1 dvd at home. I do need to get some new ones, though.

Have a great day!
Gin

Gin- I don't mean to be pushy, but I really like David Swenson (hard to find- if you want it and can't find it let me know) and Bryan Kest. They are very good and you get a good workout/stretch.
PS- I agree, I should do yoga more (if only I had the time) I also, don't want to be that 65 year old woman!!:)
Deanie

Good morning ladies. You guys were very busy yesterday on the check in and I'm bummed that I didn't get back on the computer to join in. So I'm just going to add some stuff about myself that relates to yesterdays conversations. :7

I agree that we all seem to have a lot in common. I am also a size 4-6 and I hate to admit it but I think I'm 5'6. I say it like that because I used to be 5'7 but when I went to the doctor last week they measured me around 5'6 so height is a sore subject for me right now. x( I have been married for 13 years as of last September so it sounds like that is similar to you guys too.

Deanie - That's a good idea to write down the weight that Cathe uses too. Usually when I do her workouts I see what she is using and cut it in half, at least on bigger muscle groups. Obviously when she's using 5's or 8's on an exercise I'm usually the same or maybe slightly less.

Today was my rest day since I still haven't purchased any yoga dvd's yet. I did finally get an SASE to Marcy so when I get that back I'll have one yoga tape to try out. :) So I haven't had a chance to do any cardio in my new shoes yet but I will tomorrow. I can't wait!

Gin - That is great that you are going to Hawaii for your anniversary. I would love to do that especially since I hate winter so much. I ask myself every year why I continue to live in Michigan!!!

;(

Have a great day!

Tracee

Good morning ladies,

Today was PLB for me. I only did the deadlifts (30#, 35# and 40#) and calf raises on the standing work. I love deadlifts! My legs and arms are hyperextended and I really like to feel the stretch in my hamstrings. I also did yoga today finally. Did Bryan Kest's Tone workout. First time I did that one although I've done his Energize and Sweat workouts. I did pretty well but the balancing in arabesque on one leg didn't work out so well. I did ballet for years but I guess when you don't do it for a long time, it all falls apart! By the way, I'm 5'2. I actually bought a pair of size 2 pants a few weeks ago. I've never fit in a size 2 but I think it's vanity sizing. A few months ago I tried on a size 0 skirt in Ann Taylor and it was still too big. I don't know who they think they're fooling.

BBL.

Have a great day everyone.

Marcy

Marcy- Too funny! I am 99.9% of the time a 4, every once in a while a 2 but in Ann Taylor I also find I can wear a 0 and it can fit or be too big. Whats up with that!!! There is NO WAY I am a 0! I'm glad you noticed that too! And no I did not feel happy about it- I felt silly!

Tracee- Have fun in your new shoes tomorrow!:) I think KPC is on the schedule, its my favorite kickbox. My brother and his wife were married in Sept., 12 years ago, they chose the same date as my grandparents who were married for 67 years before my grandfather passed away. I thought that was a really nice way to honor them.

Have a good one,
Deanie

Hey Deanie!

KPC is on my schedule tomorrow too. I had a thought last night that I should probably be changing up my routine and switch from heavy lifting for a month. So I made up a rotation to use all my new Jaris, more yoga, doing slightly new step workouts. It will be a non-Cathe month for the most part.:( :( Well, I might do Rhythmic Step or Step Works.

When I did PLB this morning, I did the right side first for the outer thigh lifts. I always follow Cathe but I always got tired on the 2nd leg. Today I got through all the leg lifts. I always laugh when she says "If you want to make it tougher, you can put on ankle weights" and I'm always saying "No Way!". Well, maybe someday but not anytime soon.

Is Cheeseball finally gone?

Marcy

Marcy- I want to say I just read your story about your son with ADD you should be so proud of him! And good for you for being such an advocate for him. Sometimes it seems the schools look for the easy way out instead of actually helping the children!!

Yes, I think cheeseball is gone! The terminx man came and didn't see any signs of him, and the poison in the whole was eaten, so we assumed he left the house to die outside. Good for me, bad for cheeseball! :( / :)

Jealous of you for getting all the way through the leg lifts on PLB! I usually end up doing one leg on the ball and the 2nd leg on the floor! My second leg is so fatiqued I just can't stay on the ball!!HA HA!

Deanie

Deanie - I also read your post on ADD. Homework was the absolute worst with my son. I was always up till 11:00 at night. I used to get mad because the teachers had him when he was on meds but I didn't. I'd be crying and he would be laughing. That was one problem we always had with him. He couldn't control his laughter. I'm laughing about it now but I wasn't then. Mornings were also the worst. One day I actually had my DH come home from work and help me get him dressed. I am real proud of my son now. We keep pushing him to go to college but he just doesn't want to. Feels like it would be too much for him. Even some of the culinary schools we were looking at require regular subjects. He's taking the SAT in March. I pretty much know he's not going to do too well but I just want him to have the experience of taking it and well, you never know. We're planning on moving after he graduates so I'm not having him apply anywhere right now. I'm waiting until after we get settled and some culinary schools actually want you to have some experience. Is your DS having any side effects with the meds?

Marcy

Well you guys have been busy "visiting" while I was at school!:eek:

Deanie--Do not think you are pushy at all!!:) I certainly welcome any suggestions about a new yoga dvd, so I can finally get rid of Denise Austin once and for all!!:p Which David Swenson do you like best and where do I find? My sweet 77 year old mother does not exercise at all and there is no talking here into it and I can sadly say it has affected her stamina, strength, mobility, etc. She hates to exercise as much as I love it!! :(

Tracee--I could not do Michigan winters. I am cold when it is 65 degrees!:p

Marcy--What causes your DH to be sick when flying? motion sickness? I can get that and always have to have my Dramamine ready which can make me drowzy! This will be an 8 hour flight! Don't you think that sizes have changed over the years? I remember 25 years ago in college wearing a size 10 and I'm pretty sure I am about the same size now. What is up with that? My roommate was 5'1", 95 lbs. and wore a 6 which I thought was the smallest thing ever. Size 0 must be too small for some little bitties!! There is alot of truth in the saying "teachers have him on the meds when I don't". I remember feeling that way.

Gin

Hi Gin,

DH gets motion sickness. He had a motorcyle accident years ago and had 10 fractures in his skull. It affected his equilibrium. He even gets dizzy if he closes his eyes in the shower. And no amusement park rides for him. He holds all the bags. I'll have to suggest the Dramamine to him. He still rides a motorcyle though. We love to go riding together.

My mother and yours should get together. She doesn't exercise at all either. I tried to get her to come with me to a class years ago and she stood me up. She's 72.

I'm not good in the cold either. That's why I'm moving down south. I can't wait!

Marcy

I probably missed you guys but.....
Marcy- So far the only side effects for my son are loss of appitite for lunch, but he eats it when he gets home, and he eats a regular dinner. And he does go to sleep later, 10pm as opposed to 9pm before the meds. He turns his light off at 9pm but just lays awake till 10ish, at least he is good about that! Do you think the meds have played a part in your sons growth? My DS is short, but we think he may have a growth spurt in his teens. Right now he is the 2nd or 3rd shortest boy in the fifth grade. I hope the meds don't inhibit his growth, that is a concern for us. Where South are you moving? My parents live in Florida. They love it and we love visiting them- great vacation when its cold up here!

Gin- I'm not sure where to find the David Swenson yoga, I've had it for so long. I think his "Short forms" yoga tape is the one to start with. He ends the practice (before the meditation) with levitation holds. For some reason, I can do his but CAthes are so hard for me! You may master it quickly, but it is a great intro to him, and sometimes you may only want 30 min or 45 min. of practice. I go back to that tape over and over (I used it today!) I will try to research it and if not, I can make you a copy and send it to you if you want.

Deanie

Gin- I googled David Swenson yoga and found: www.ashtanga.net/dev/index.php. I think it is his website. It looks like he is located in Austin Texas! Funny?!:) The one I would start with is David Swensons Ashtanga yoga Short Forms dvd. They also have his Primary Series (which I also love) and it is one hour and 20ish min. It is very good and much more thorough. The other is just a good intro. and the 45 min. one is a good workout.
Hope I helped. Keep me posted.
Deanie

Deanie,
Thank you so much for the helpful info on David Swenson's yoga. I looked at his site and think I will definitely order. Thanks!
I think I told you, my DS (19 now) has been taking Adderral for at least 7 years now and he is 6'2", so I don't think it affected his growth. He also weighs 145. He does have my DH's metabolism, but when he is out of school (and off meds), his appetite increases dramatically.
I am off to wash the chlorine out of my hair from swim class and will "talk" to you guys next week when back from my trip.

Take Care!
Gin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.