Crazy Strong and Loving It for May 28, 2009

bayerngirl

Cathlete
Hi and good morning,

Not sure what I will do today? It's to cold to take a walk.

Heidi, how are doing?

Have a great day and workout. BBL!

Morning,

This morning I did 4-Day Split: Lower Intensity Step Shoulders, Calves:D I stayed with Cathe on the lifting. I felt so strong today:p

I burned 649 cal.

Enjoy your day and workout. I will take the dogs for a walk after lunch.

This morning I tried out a brand new DVD that I got yesterday. (so excited when those come in the mail!) The one I did today was Power Strike 5. I loved it! It was no nonsense kicks and punches. Loved the music, the instructor - everything. The workout wasn't as long as most workouts that I do - but I did manage to burn 320 calories so I was pleased. I also got Amy's Kickbox Surge....must preview.

Thats all for now. Off to work. :(

I am really sore in my biceps and triceps today. :hyper: Love it! It's hard for me to get my biceps sore.

Today was Shoulder and Abs. Shoulder work went well, I petered out with the ab work. I did it, but not what I wanted to do.

8 minute warmup on treadmill.

1 minute rest between each set.

**Denotes drop set exercises.

SHOULDERS
Overhead Dumbbell Press:
25's - 8/8/8/8
***Added a set to this exercise. Felt strong with these.

Upright Rows:
50# - 10/10/10
***Almost borderline too heavy. My right shoulder was feeling this one.

Bent-Over Lateral Raise:
15's - 12
17's - 12/12
***This exercise is so easy for me. Could have gone with 20's.

Lateral Raise**:
12's - 12/12/12
10's - 14
8's - 14
5's - 20
***Got a great burn. After 3rd set I did the drop sets with no rest in between.

Barbell Shrugs:
105# - 15/15/15/15
***Added a set here as well. Love shrugs.

ABS
Trisets:
Planks: 2 - 1 minute planks on elbows
Hanging Knee Raise w/Twist: 8 each side
Inverted Pyke on Stability Ball: 8/5
***One minute rest between trisets. Only did 2 sets because I was wiped out by the 2nd set. With the 2nd set of planks I only made 45 seconds and dropped to my knees. Very frustrating there. Inverted planks, same thing. After rep 5 I was done.

That is all....

Belinda - Nice workout. Are you sinuses finally ok? I hope so!!!

Karen - I've heard good things about that workout. Glad you liked it!

Morning! I am doing Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix 2 today and abs- haven't decided what yet. My mom is finally going to start exercising (I'm so happy!) and is coming over to trade time with me in the workout room downstairs. I'm setting her up with a Cathe upper body premix of some sort and she has a beginning cardio DVD too. :)

Karen: Oh, I have that one and haven't tried it yet! Yay, glad you liked it. Do I have to preview or could I just do it?

Belinda: Oh good for you! I bet you've missed Cathe. :)

Debbie: Hate it when my body just gives out like that- buy hey, at least it is letting you know it's been really worked.

Later everyone! Have a great day!

Good Morning,

Tonite is Burn Interval for the last time. Suppose to do abs but I did those last nite instead. Today I am going to focus on eating better.

Belinda-glad to hear you can finally workout alittle harder.

Patti-great workout let my know how you like Traceys workout.

Karen-I have looked at those but hadn't made a decision yet.

Debbie-as always your wts impress me. I used 10lbs on lateral raises last nite but for some reason they make my back hurt.

Everyone have a good day.

Debbie-as always your wts impress me. I used 10lbs on lateral raises last nite but for some reason they make my back hurt.

Roxie, how is your form on these? They shouldn't hurt your back. Make sure you are standing up straight, not hunched over. Lift with your shoulders, not your arms. Stay as errect as possible. You definitely should not be feeling anything in your back doing these. Also, try not to shrug your shoulders up.

Patti -

I think that Tracey video is the one coming in from Netflix today, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. Is it like an Imax?
And the one you'd done with the body bar... do you need a body bar to do it?

I'm going to do a full body weight workout today. MM, I think.
Have a great day everone. I'll check in later!

Wendy: Yes, very similar to IMAX- it has short step routines followed by intense cardio blasts. She does string the entire routine together midway through, so it isn't as linear as IMAX. But it's fun and a great workout. You might want to preview it once- the steps aren't too tough but her cuing is not as great as Cathe's. Once you do it one time through you'll be OK, though. As for the body bar, you could use a broom handle or something like that. But you need some sort of bar to really get the most from it, IMO. Also, the weight in the bar is nice as it adds intensity. I bet you could pick up one CHEAP at a used sporting goods place, if you have one around you.

Thanks for the info Patti! And I'll check around for a bar. I mean, it's just little...it's not like I'll also be looking for a 5' Olympic weight bench bar or anything - sheesh! Nothing for my husband to complain about (leave aside using Netflix for workout videos!)......

I am not sure if you girls noticed, but this week I started Cathe’s 4DS rotation. I figured since the workouts are shorter it couldn’t hurt me, right? It’s also a great way for me to get back into my regular workouts. I gonna see how I feel this week and continue from there. I did drop my weights big times, I am not going very heavy. Tomorrow I have one more day left and I get 2 rest days. YAH!

Karen, glad you enjoyed Power Strike 5 this morning.

Debbie, WTG on your biceps and triceps DOMS! Nice shoulder workout this morning. NO my sinus are not ok, I am gonna work out and see what happens? You probably think I am nuts, LOL! The answer is YES!

Rockie** how are you feeling today? Have fun with Burn Interval tonight.

Wendy** have fun with MM later today.

Hi to everyone that follows today.

Debbie-The deltoid raises hurt my lower back to Chalean says to put a slight tip in the upper body and try to hold my abs in to support my lower back but it stll hurts.

Girls I need ideas for healthy on the go snacks.

Quickie check in for me, today is DH and my 21st Wedding Anniversary.. He has the day off, we're going over to AAA to map out a summer vacation to Hershey Park, PA and then getting a sitter and out to eat at the Oopa Oopa Steakhouse! :eek:

I did IMAX2 and it was just what I needed!!!

Oh hey , Karen, that recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins looks sooo good! I copied it and hope to make them soon! YUM!

And here's what I made last night, and IT was VERY VERY yummy!:

Chicken Minestrone Soup

Start to Finish: 45 minutes

1 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 14-ounce cans chicken broth
2 15- to 19-ounce cans white kidney beans (cannellini beans), rinsed
and drained
8 to 10 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size
pieces
1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup dried bow tie pasta
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano,
undrained
Crackers (optional)

In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook carrots, celery, and onion in hot
oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth,
white kidney beans, chicken, green beans, and pepper. Bring to
boiling; add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Stir in zucchini. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered,
for 8 to 10 minutes more or until pasta is tender and green beans are
crisp-tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes; heat through. If desired,
serve with crackers.

Makes: 8 servings
Per serving: 181 calories, 4g fat, 7g fiber, 16mg chol, 1079mg
sodium, 27g carbs, 16g protein

Hi ladies. Just a quick check in because it's Mow Max day again. All this rain makes that darn grass grow too quickly. I did 4DS bootcamp and Ab Circuits Pilates based abs this morning. Had a good sweat going so that makes me happy. And now I'm going out to sweat again because it's extremely humid down here today.

Did someone ask where to get the Cashew Butter? I got mine at Earth Fare. I would imagine Whole Foods has it too if you have one of those.

Bev

Happy anniversary Chris! I love Hershey, Pennsylvania- it smells good there. :) Thanks for the recipe- I will try it!

Wendy: LOL! My fitness purchases are at times OUT OF CONTROL. And DH grumbles about my use of Netflix too- can't even argue that it saves us money because if I like the DVD, I end up buying it anyway. :D

This was surprisingly good and very filling. I wasn't sure about it with tuna, but it was tasty and very easy.

Southwestern Black Beans and Tuna

1 clove garlic minced
1/3 cup onion diced
Pam spray

2 tbsp lemon juice (I also added some lime juice too)
1 tbsp jalapeno peppers (diced)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans tuna, drained ( I used Tongol Tuna from Trader Joe’s)
1 can Rotel Mexican tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro

Fry garlic and onion in Pam about 4 minutes (until onion is soft). Add remaining ingredients and cook until hot.

Per entire recipe: cals 815 / fat 5/ carb 97/ fiber 22/ protein 95
If serving 2: 408 cal / 2.5 fat / 48.5 carb / 11 fiber / 48 protein

Happy Anniversary, Chris! It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. Enjoy!

I ended up doing MIS - an oldie but a goodie. Great workout. Cathe was strong 10+ years ago! I added in some leg ext/leg curls and ran downstairs to do 75# (!!) for bench presses. I think she did 12 reps each set for bench and I could only eek out 8 each, but I'm good with that.

Looking forward to Debbie's rotation. Thinking about it got me looking up the Jan rotation we did. I really liked that one, too.

Anybody going to the Road Trip? I've never been to one. And we have one thing planned this summer (my husband's 20 year reunion), and it's THAT weekend! So maybe next year?

Belinda, take care of yourself. I think 4DS was a good choice. Just go easy.
Roxie, a piece of fruit is usually pretty easy to throw in your purse. Or a handful of almonds in a ziploc baggie. I've also been buying protein bars for when I know I'll be out of the house for a while, and I don't want to end up eating junk. And always have water with you.

Well, look at me yakking up a storm. I guess that's what 4 days off in a row gets ya! Back to the old grind come June...

Oh and my workout- forgot to post that I finished it (just the cardio) plus the abs. I didn't even do a great job on the abs since my hip flexors are fried from yesterday.

Get to mowing Bev! :)

Wow - chatty bunch today!

Pattie - I doubt that you would have to preview the power strike workout. Its pretty straight forward - nothing too fancy. However it did take me a few minutes to get the arm punches down that she does in the beginning. My mind had it down but my arms were not following!

Also, thanks for the recipes everyone. I love adding more "goodies" to my stack!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.