Commit to Get Fit and Lean for Sunday, June 21st

Pinny150

Cathlete
Wow...I feel weird starting the thread when I've been gone (kind of) for so long!

Amelia and Trish- Great to hear from you girls!!!

It has been a loooong couple of months....I will try to keep it in a nutshell...and somehow I've for the most part kept up with workouts...

Back in January we found out for sure that my mother has breast cancer....at 54...and it has spread to her bones. It is not an agressive cancer ( so far) and she was labeled as chronic and not terminal. The cancer affected her hip to where she coudlnt' walk and they started her on radiation on that part of her body first to get her mobile.

The day before she started radiation I ended up in the hospital for an ovarion cyst that ruptured and that kept me down an out for a few days and then it was going to be me taking her back and forth for her treatments every morning....

Well.....(Cookie you may have heard about this)....4 days into her treatment ( March 4th) we were on our way from one hospital to go home and on the way I noticed a tractor trailer carrying a freight containter with a loose strap and it kept my attention for all of thirty seconds when I watched it hit an overpass on 787 ( he was six inches too tall) and the container fell into the highway right in front of us. I tried to swerve to get around it but I didn't make it. We clipped it on the passenger side (where my mother was sitting) and bounced off ( thank god it was empty)...it tore the entire right side of the car off and spun us around. Somehow we never hit another car, a guardrail and we didnt flip. My hands were still on the wheel when we stopped and my mother was still in the car, but it knocked her right out. She ended up in Albany Med for almost a month with a broken knee, broken neck, a mouth laceration, bruises, etc. Somehow I walked away with the exception of a bruised knee that is still weak. It was the worst day of my life so far....we are both so lucky we weren't killed. (nobody was that was involved) If I hadn't seen it hit the bridge we would have hit it head on I'm sure.....it was so unreal.

3 months later.........still dealing with the cancer.....she's mobile, walking, out of the neck brace, and knee brace.....but there is such a long road ahead.... talk about a double whammy, but our family has a lot of fight, and damnit we've made it this far.......

I start a strength rotation tomorrow..the March Strong like Bull rotation...I move next weekend...and I am going for my A.C.E certification on top of it all!!!

I miss you girls!! I'll check back in laters.........;)

Iris

Hi Iris,

So sorry to hear about all that has been going on in your life. You are an amazing person to go through all of this. Kudos for getting in workouts when you can:) I think the rotation you are doing "Strong like a Bull" says alot about you and your family.

Sending you good vibes & (((hugs))) while you continue on.

Good morning girls,

I feel much better today:) I'm going for a short run on the TM for 30 min., I need to get to my FIL for a BBQ today to do the cooking. I think I see the sun:cool: My FIL needed to get his pool repaired, but because of all the rain it won't be ready today. Good thing for me, not ready to wear a bathing suit:) kids will be disappointed.

Belinda - Enjoy the time with your son!!!

Amelia - I hope it cools down a bit for you.

Lori - You must be having a good time.

Trish - The sun is finally out:cool:

Cookie - I'm glad you finally got to sleep in:) You are probably getting the rain too!!

Enjoy the day everyone!!!

Last edited:
Wow,Iris you have been through so much!!! Your Mother is in my prayers! You both are fighters and im 100% positive that everything will be ok! OMG the accident:eek:...how crazy is that? You handled it so well too...your gut instint(or angel;)) told you to watch out for that frieght container,im sure of that!!! Hugs to you both!!!! Im glad to see you back:) and WTG on going for your A.C.E certification,thats so inspiring girl...you ROCK!
I agree with Debbie...your rotation says alot about you and your family!!!

Last edited:
Debbie-have a great run...i was dreaming of running last night? Im such a dork:p

todays workout is a circuit since i never got it in yesterday. Not sure which one yet, i will be an ub circuit because im lb is still sore!

Ive got my BIL coming over to look at the car,i hope it gets fixed today! Cross your fingers that i can drive it later:eek:

i also started something new..im going back to doing weight watchers, well, kinda. I pulled out some of my old books and took the points test agian and it said that i get 27pts,thats like 1350cals a day(ugh) so that added with my activity points would be around 1700 cals a day. Thats what im eating on my workout days,1700, and on rest days,1400! Lets see if i can get the scale moving;). it quit moving,i lost 4lbs the first week of 'burn the fat,feed the muscle' and thats all...and that weight has returned:(

bbl

Last edited:
Iris!!! OMG, I can't believe that was you and your mother in that accident! I do remember it. TG you're physically alright, but the emotional repercusions must be great. I'm so sorry about it and all that is going on with your mom. It sure is a challenging time for you and your family. It is a testimony to your strength. I've been thinking about you and wondering what was going on with you. WTG with keeping up with your workouts - it must be helping to deal with the stress. It is wonderful that you're going for the cert - you'll be terrific. Boy!
Amelia, yesterday one of my cousin's was talking about how she reached a plateau in her weight loss for a long time, and finally went to the dr who determined it was partly related to her thyroid. Just a thought. You've come so far and done great. You can do what you set your mind to.
Deb, are the kids going to be disappointed that you're not wearing a bathing suit? JK! I know what you meant. Hope you have a great time with your FIL. I'm tired of the rain and resultant humidity. Feel like I'm growing moldy!
Belinda, hope your DS made it in okay and you're having a great time together.
Lori, how was the girls' evening?
Trish, are you all set for the 25th event? Is it close to your office?
Did 4ds cardio power on an 8" step. Now instead of getting ready to go to the store, I could take a nap! Have to get stuff for Father's day evening dinner. Have decided want to get my eating back under control and stop the stress eating. My DH and I are both trying to eat cleaner. I was sooo good for a while, but then.... Anyway, he's totally addicted to candy, so I can any improvement he makes will be very good. He claims that's why he's so sweet. Is he saying I'm bitter?
Cookie

Hello again

I really appreciate all of your encouraging words and support!! I've never been one to seek out support ( even though some think I should or should have), so as you can see I kind of put off checking in here....but sometimes it takes a mental load off to share the story!

Cookie- wtg on doing 4ds on 8"! When these knees bet better I might just try that........ The school year has got to be almost done for you isn't it?? When you talk about the emotional repurcussions, it's nothing everyone hasn't tried to tell me already...I've heard and read that PTSD can take months to rear it's ugly head. I had the normal symptons in the weeks after the accident, but some haven't gone away and I haven't decided if I want to trudge on through or go see someone (and that's a huge maybe).....

Amelia- what circuit workout did you do?? I recently got the Terminator cd and boy even with a lowered step height and modifying some moves for now it is killller! I was doing FF's circuit rotation...but I think I need a big change because I've plateau'd.......:( Hence....the Strong Like Bull rotation....

Deb- thank you for your kind words! I hope you had a great run today! I can't wait to get back on the treadmill (hopefully in the coming months)...do you do Cardio Coach? or just your own thing? I always like to have my ipod, I need encouraging and upbeat music to push myself when I run.....otherwise I would hate running...lol

BBL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.