Clean Eating Friday 8 June

lederr

Cathlete
Good morning, everyone!

I woke up on my own at 0445 and decided to get up and get my day started I am feeling much better this morning and am going to try to do some cardio and weights (maybe the premix from BM2 or HE Circuit). We'll see...

My plan for today so far:

B: protein shake
S: apple or SF applesauce
L: salmon patty and broccoli and cabbage slaw
S: walnuts and raisins
D: don't know.

That is my plan. We'll see how the day plays out.

IT'S MY LAST DAY OF WORK!!! I work in the schools and today is our last day for six weeks. I am going to do some contract work over the summer and am plannig to work on my dissertation, but I won't have to wake up early and go to work for SIX WEEKS!!! YAY!!! :) :) :)

Carloa-thanks for the reality check yesterday. I needed that!

Everyone have a great day!

Lorie

Goodmorning Lorie. Boy, do I envy you. Six weeks off. The last time I had a stretch like that was 20 years ago when my DD was born. Maybe in 8 years of so, when I hope to retire...

I woke up last night when DH came to bed and was starving! I couldn't get back to sleep and ended up going downstairs for a couple graham crackers and a glass of milk. Otherwise, all was well in Eatingcleanville.

Today - B-fast WW eng muffin w/almond butter, 1/2 banana
Lunch - PB&J on WW, small tossed salad, fresh fruit salad
snack - cherries
dinner - I'm thinking grilled salmon, wild rice and broccoli
Workout - MIS

If you can't keep it clean, at least keep it tidy!

Good Morning Lorie, Robin and All Fellow Trying-to-Eat Clean Eaters,

Lorie, 6 weeks off sounds like heaven! Sounds like you'll be busy with your dissertation.

Robin, Graham crackers and milk wasn't a bad choice - could have been a lot worse.

My portion control has been much better than usual - I am very happy about this. I've had a couple Paul Newman hermit cookies this week. I love them!! I haven't decided on today's menu. Today is my rest day - I plan on trying Calm Dog in Xflowsion for the first time. DH, kids and I are volunteering at a local summer kids camp. We're going to help make some new trails. The kids are very excited about this. Well, I better figure out my menu. I'll try to post later.

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Happy Friday, Everyone!!

Today will be:
B-plain yogurt and berries
s-oatmeal and half of a banana, some nuts
l-lentil soup, small salad, pear
s hummus on a brown rice cake (or 2:) )
D-probably garlic shrimp, ww pasta and green beans
s-don't know

Lorie - enjoy your time "off" Sound like you will be busy though!

Robin - cute advice "keep it tidy" ...I'll try!

Shirl - hope you enjoy your day off. Making new trails is a lot of work!! How wonderful of your family!!

To everyone... Have a great weekend! Thanks for the company here!

Patty

Hey, guys. A QUICk post for me. Today is Field Day in DS's Kindergarten class and I'm helping out.

This morning was IMax 3. The start of week 2 of the June 07 rotation.

I'm looking forward to another clean eat day! lol. The loss at the scale yesterday really motivated me into this weekend.

No planned menu today, which is unusual for me, but I'm not concerned. I made a veggie soup in the crockpot yesterday so I've got that if I come up short with ideas.

SORRY to hit and run! STAY STRONG!

Gayle

Hey ladies - thank you all again for your support yesterday. Today is a new day, right? And guess what? PMS is OVER, baby, so I'm hoping that will help me make better choices. We're going to the zoo on Sunday, so I'm going to pack some food for me. There's not usually anything I can eat at the places they have anyway.

I also had a fabulous run last night, which helped a lot.

Okay, so today:

B - cereal, banana, soy milk
S - apple, multigrain English muffin with organic strawberry spread
L - yogurt, granola and strawberries

I'm not sure about the rest of the day. Dinner will be the stuff my SO made the other night with lentils, veggies, tahini sauce and rice.

Workout is Bootcamp.

Hi all my apologies that I have not checked in I think in two days.

Still trying to eat as 'clean' as possible but eh it's been a bit difficult because I'm thinking my multi grain rice cakes that I eat preworkout with my peanut butter is not clean.

Tosca's book has still not arrived I swear I think amazon is holding it for ransom or something even though my credit card has been charged for it ::sigh::

So yesterday I did pretty well, I did make some baked potato fries and had a burger with a bun :( for dinner last night; I use the leanest ground beef I can find if that counts?

So far this what I have planned for today

post workout/ mid morning:

1/2 c. oatmeal w/ a soft boiled egg on the side and some pineapple slices in it's own juices

as for the rest of the day I'm not sure yet as I need to make another run to the grocery store. x(

Hello Clean eaters! I've done really well this week. But, I think for some of you that this is a major change in diet. I've been eating pretty clean for a while now so this is my typical schedule.

This weekend we're heading out camping but I've already packed healthy snacks so I'm not stuck munching on S'mores & other stuff!

Have a great weekend!

i thought i posted, but the gremlins got it, i guess :)

i didn't even get to post at all yesterday due to crazy busy work and home life, lol. eating could have been better yesterday. let's leave it at that ;-)

today, as shelley said, is a NEW DAY!

b - sprouted ww bread w/natural pb and a banana
s - yogurt w/berries
l - last of the havana salad (a little goes a long way!)
s - protein shake after lic upper body circuit that i missed the other day
d - no clue

Hello Everyone!

Glad the PMS is gone, doesn't it make the biggest difference? Glad you had a great run Shelley!

Lorie, thanks to Carola, it sounds like we both needed that!

Robin, love the saying, and its so true, thanks for being well, you! You seem to understand the whole portion control, everything in moderation-a very good thing!:)

Shirl, have fun forging new trials with the kids, sounds like so much fun!

Gayle-keep up the weight loss, you must feel so mean and lean this AM:)

Patty-your dinner plans sound delicious...

Shywolf-I personally believe that rice cakes with peanut butter are pretty darn clean, they aren't Nutter Butters, right? Oh and Amazon can be real pokey. My DH orders from them all the time.

Jess, I am the same way, been eating clean for years, but have on occasion let my sweet tooth rear its ugly head, and I realize I could practice a little more portion control.

To anyone I missed, clean eats to you all! And happy Friday!:7

Last night should have been Legs and Back, but we got more bad news about our friend with cancer and those phone calls sort of too precedence over everything. I did however do another 30 min. on my elliptical.
Today is Legs and Back, with some cardio-not sure what yet. Or I might do LIC cardio timesaver (love this premix) and GS Back. Then do B&G tomorrow.

Menu: Fruit, coffee, 2 tble p. butter

S-not sure, we are outta food! But some sort of protein
L-4 egg white omelette with greens
S-apple
D-probably lots of veggies with lowfat dressing for a dip and some sort of protein, maybe tuna. Lots of water.

Lorie and Tneah, no problem :) I need my own reality check too and I just came out of a pep talk with myself }(

I have no clue what I am going to eat, I will meet a client for breakfast, I think from now on, instead of posting what I am planing to eat, I will post at the end of the day what I actually ate.

Still haven't gone to the grocery store, DH did instead, ahem I think I need to inspect the fridge - DH is really good about buying not so clean stuff, arrrgghhh!! Can't see any fruit or salad at first glance, I guess I'll go to the store after breakfast.

Did a 30 min run this morning and planning on doing Push/Pull at lunch.

Have a wonderful "clean eating" day everyone. I will be back later.

Carola

Hello Clean eaters!
I hope this check-in continues, this is great, and i'm glad Shelley that things are better on a new day!
I'm always nervous for the weekend, but today is as usual, same as yesterday, even dinner will be when i get there!
Got up a 4am and did butts/not the guts of B&G's, when i get home, will do some HIIT, likely bike or 1/2 and IMAX workout!
I am a little more liberal with eating on the weekend, ill see how i do now that i have all of you! My DH and i have couples counselling tomorrow as well, joy!
Have a great day everyone!
Steph

OOPS. Forgot I am traveling to San Diego this weekend, will be back Tuesday night,so will not post until then.

But I am with you all in spirit and in broccoli!:7 Clean eats to everyone over the weekend.....will try and work out Sunday AM and Mon, Tues at the hotel gym-which I always hate, but its better than nothing right?:)

Hi ladies!

A little late checking in today as I've been extra busy here.

Sounds like everyone is doing GREAT today!

Last night, we grilled white meat pork & corn on the cob. I also made some brown rice & salad so the food was relatively clean. But I did indulge in a couple of glasses of wine. I guess it was just too darn close to Friday for me to avoid - LOL! This morning, I did Kelly Coffey-Meyer NYC (50 minute advanced cardio sculpting). I like that one more & more every time I do it.

Here's how my day has been so far:

Wake up: 2 cups coffee & large water
Meal 1: lowfat cottage cheese & 1 banana
Snack: fat free yogurt with dry cereal (Kashi) mixed in
Meal 2: Kashi frozen dinner (Cilantro Lime Shrimp) & a few leftover garbanzo beans

I plan to have a small nectarine & multigrain crackers with Naturally More peanut butter for my afternoon snack. Unfortunately, tonight is where my DH & I start our weekend so I'll probably go out to eat & have no idea where he might suggest. I also usually don't get a chance to check in over the weekend so it will probably be Monday before I check in again. I will definitely be concious of what I put in my mouth, though, regardless of whether I splurge or not & I thank this check-in for that. I hope to make some healthy choices over the weekend & I hope all of you have healthy weekends too!

Since you guys were asking about recipes, I decided to post some. They're from Tosca Reno's website.

Lorie

TURKEY MEATLOAF
INGREDIENTS
• 1 lb ground raw turkey
• 4 large egg whites
• 4 oz Quaker oats, uncooked
• 1 single serving, vegetable soup mix
• 1 cup chopped onion, boiled and unsalted
• 8 oz medium salsa
• 2 dashes ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 cup unsweetened ketchup
METHOD:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients except ketchup, until well blended. Place mixture in meatloaf pan and pour ketchup over the top. Bake for 1/2 hour. Serve over finely chopped veggies.
YIELD:
Makes 6 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 144
Fat: 7 g
Carbs: 9 g
Protein: 17 g

HAVANA SALAD
INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup avocado, peeled and diced
• 1 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 tsp cumin, ground
• 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
• 4 cups brown rice, cooked
• 15 ounces black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
METHOD:
1. In a large bowl, combine the avocado, vinegar, olive oil, cumin and black pepper, and then toss.
2. Now add the rice, tomatoes, beans, parsley and cilantro, and mix thoroughly.
3. Let the salad chill in the refrigerator before serving.
YIELD:
Makes 6 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 277
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 45g
Protein: 9g
Cholesterol: 0 mg

MEDITERRANEAN-STYLE FRENCH LENTIL SALAD
INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup dry French lentils
• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
• 1/2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
• 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp very finely minced red onion
• 1 tbsp dried currants
• 1/2 small carrot, shredded
• 1/4 cup minced red and yellow bell peppers
• 1 - 2 tbsp minced fresh herbs (parsley, chives, and/or mint)
METHOD:
1. Place lentils in a pot and fill with enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until the lentils are tender (around 20 to 30 minutes). Drain lentils when they are done, and gently rinse in cold water. Drain and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients except the bell pepper and fresh herbs, cover tightly and chill at least 4 hours.
3. Add the bell pepper and herbs within an hour of serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.
YIELD:
Makes 4 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 164
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 20g
Protein: 5g

VEGGIE SOUP WITH PESTO
INGREDIENTS
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 4 cups organic vegetable broth
• 3 cups water
• 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
• 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 4 small zucchini, sliced in half then cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 can Bush's Best cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 3 cups freshly chopped spinach
• 6 tbsp pesto
METHOD:
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until clear for approximately 4 minutes (don't brown).

2. Add vegetable broth, water, crushed pepper, zucchini and cannellini beans. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.

3. Reduce heat to medium, stir in spinach, partially cover pot and cook for 5 minutes.

4. Ladle soup into 6 bowls and garnish each with 1 tbsp pesto.

YIELD:
Makes 6 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 449
Fat: 15 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbs: 21 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 8 g

TURKEY BREAST MUSHROOM STEW
INGREDIENTS
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 1/4 lb extra lean ground turkey breast
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 large red pepper, chopped
• 1/4 tsp crush red pepper
• 3 tsp Italian seasoning
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground 4-pepper blend
• 3 28-oz cans diced tomatoes, with liquid, no salt added
• 1 15-oz can Bush's Best pinto bens, with liquid
• 3 strips cooked extra-lean turkey bacon, chopped
• 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
• 1 small zucchini, sliced
• 2 pkg 6-oz each, sliced, fresh mushrooms
• 3/4 cup all natural, no sugar apple juice
• 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
METHOD:
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook the turkey until browned, stirring with a spoon to seperate and brown evenly.
2. Add the garlic, onion and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes and add crushed red pepper, 2 tsp Italian seasoning and fresh ground 4-pepper blend. Cook for 8 minutes, then transfer to a large pot.
3. Add the tomatoes with the liquid, the pinto beans with the liquid, the cooked turkey bacon and the hot sauce. Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms.
4. Bring to a simmer and add 1 tsp Italian seasoning, then reduce to low heat. Cook for 1 hour, stirrnig occasionally. Serve over brown rice.
YIELD:
Makes 19 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 100
Fat: 2g
Carbs: 10g
Protein: 10g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Fiber: 3g
ROASTED CHIECKEN BREAST WITH RED POTATOES AND ASPARAGUS
INGREDIENTS
• Cooking spray
• 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 2 inch cubes
• 2 lb red potatoes, chopped into 2 inch cubes
• 1 1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
• 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
• 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
• 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
• Ground pepper to taste
METHOD:
Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Add chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, basil, garlic and olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary. Add pepper if desired. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally until tender. Serve.
YIELD:
Makes 8 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 426
Fat: 16g
Carbs: 30g
Protein: 40g
Fiber: 1g

Black Bean and Millet Salad

1 cup millet, uncooked
3 cups water
2 cups black beans, cooked
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, (or substitute green onions), chopped
1 medium cucumber
Dressing
1/3 cup water
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
Cook the millet in 3 cups of water until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fluff with fork and allow to cool.
In a large bowl, combine millet, black beans, tomatoes, and onion.
Peel several strips from the cucumber (it should look striped) and cut it lengthwise into four pieces. Remove the seeds and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Add the cucumber to the salad.
Mix all dressing ingredients until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend. (Experiment with the seasonings to suit taste.) Cover and refrigerate until the salad is well chilled. Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into pita bread.

Hiya!!

I'd like to join your check in if y'all don't mind. I'll start Monday...or maybe Sunday...no Monday -- LMAO!! Seriously, I do want to join the clean eating bandwagon. I did the 7 day clean eating challenge right before my trip and had really great results and I'd like to keep it up. So, I'll do the best I can over the weekend but begin in earnest on Monday. I'll see you then.:)

I think PMS is making the rounds!

B - oatmeal/soymilk/protein pwdr
S - apple
L - saladw/ lofat cottage chs - I use lite raspberry vinag. dressing. I know it's not clean and it has HFCS, but I need something on my salad. Any suggestions? I tried plan balsamic vinegar and didn't care for it.
S - almonds
D - here's where the PMS kicks in - 2 slices pizza
S - tortilla chips
I'm slurping my coffee now, so that signals the end of my eating!

Thanks, Lori for the recipes. I want to try the turkey loaf. I would also like to try the soup, but it was 90 degrees today, not really soup weather!

What happens in the winter when we can't get all this great produce?

Phyllis http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

Well, it's 1:00 am, and I'm just now getting to post for the day! I did well until we ate at a Chinese buffet for dinner, and there were
basically NO clean eating choices. So I did the best I could and ate some sushi, a little bit of broccoli, a little rice, and a couple of
other things. Workout was Gym Style Legs. Have a great weekend, and I'll post tomorrow. Good luck with the challenge!!
Valerie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.