Chin up check-in 10/2

Boybert

Cathlete
Hi lovelies :) Top of the morning. Well, I'm working on pull ups these days, too. Did a pull up at the gym. Remind me to try that before I exhaust my chest and shoulders, and...lol. Anyhoo, I was happy with that! More this week I hope! How are you gals?

*(Calvin): People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Hobbes): Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?

Morning miss Deb. I did NOT do chins last night so I you've motivated me to go down and do some now. Think I'll pop in the P90X chest and back and do that for my weight workout. Post later!!

Waving to everyone in chin/pull land!!

Briee (anyone had donuts yet???? I haven't had one in days - I'll probably only do 1 chin today due that very fact).

Hey Boybert and Briee! I'm vicariously doing my chin-ups and pull-ups through you, so it's great to see all the progress we're making! I, myself, plan to do some Bryan Kest this afternoon - the first power yoga I've done since this dumb neck/shoulder thing. I'm hoping it will ease me back into UB work, since even doing bi's and tri's alone a couple weeks ago aggravated things. If I skip the push-ups in between up and down dog, I hope to be okay.

Catherine, hope you're feeling better today. I really feel your frustration!

Briee, is your mother from Germany or does she just speak it? How was the German potluck dinner? Cool that you live in Amish country. I used to love reading about the Amish when I was a young girl. You probably know this, but the "Dutch" in "PA Dutch" is actually a mispronunciation of "deutsch" which stuck. ("Deutsch" is how you say "German" in German). Their ancestry is German (from Germany) and not Dutch (from Holland). But, I digress, and the important thing is that they eat donuts.

And do yoga.:p }(

Hey all!!

Deb WTG on the pullups!!

Briee, what no donuts!! You must do extra chin work!!!

Soooooooooooosan, take it easy girl. I know what you are going through. Just don't rush your body!!

I'm actually doing good. My workout yesterday didn't seem to aggravate my sciatica. I'll do it again on Wed and see. The challenge is once you start feeling better, it's hard to hold back and go light!!!

Oh and I am on a quest for good workout shoes. What do you ladies wear? I have worn New Balance, Saucony, & K Swiss. None of which thril me. Any suggestions?

Have a great Monday all.
Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Boybert-Great job on those chins!

Briee-I wish I could go biking with you. I only have one biking buddy and we don't get to go too often because our schedules are so different. I'm going to try to get out today on my bike after work-you are right, it is so beautiful out. The colors are at their peak.
I also have to work on those chins today.

Catherine-Glad your sciatica is better.

Soooosan-I hope I receive my Bryan Kest DVD this week. I've been enjoying the Yoga workouts that I took out of the library. Yes, Briee, did you hear that???? I'm actually starting to enjoy YOGA!!!!

Joanne

Slowly but surely people are moving over to my side... We may just turn this into a yoga check-in after all. MWAHAHAHAHHA!!!!}(

I just got back from a great bike ride and in the mail box was my Bryan Kests Power Yoga. I can't wait to try it - probably on Wednesday. Yes, Soooosan, we may have to start a Yoga Check-in :)

Joanne

Let me know how you like it, Joanne. I like the routine but don't love his personality. I always feel like he's yelling at me ("Now soften your face and breathe!"), but I like how the poses are held a long time and that it can be done in less than an hour. Whatever you do, make sure you don't compare yourself to the background yogis. You can tell that most of them are dancers and are WAY more flexible than the average person. They're beautiful to watch, though.

I'm happy to report that I don't feel any neck/shoulder pain today after doing BK's "Sweat" yesterday. Yippee! Progress! I'm going to try to do bi's and tri's again tomorrow and see what happens. I'm going to stay away from chins for quite a while, though. Injuries are not worth it. I've got L&G on the plate for later. I'm still going to stay away from barbells on my shoulders until at least next week.

What are the rest of you up to?

Sooooosan-Glad you are pain free. I haven't done step in over a week as the top of my right foot had weird stress pains. I'm still going to wait a few more days. It has to be better-the new workouts will be here soon!

Joanne

My mind is feeling cluttered this morning with all this yoga chit chat, but I wanted to post that I did NO chins yesterday, but did go for a bike/jog again. I went to the bike shop and got new tires put on my ancient Trek road racer that we picked up used for $40 two years ago. I never used this bike as we have some mountain trek's that I normally used, but the other day I tried it and it "glided". I love it now-ancient as it may be. BUT...my butt is sore!!!! Those racers are RIGID!! No shock absorbtion except within those little bones that you sit on - ouch!! I just may turn into a biker yet...I've never enjoyed it as much as the last few days...I'm becoming one with my bike oooooooommmmmmm (that was for you Soosan).

Joanne...I'm getting concerned about your yoga preoccupation. Remember it's just a phase that you are going through and at some point you must move on with your life. I won't worry too much yet. I ALMOST succumbed to this a year ago (with Soosan's help - bad bad Soosan), but managed to shake free from it's grasp...just in time I might add. I nearly went over the edge, but was brought to my senses mid crane when I caught site of my distant pullup bar (upside down of course). I kept my eyes fixed for what seemed like an eternity on it's outstretched steel and heard the voice deep inside (amidst all those ooooommmmmms)saying "return to me oh thou faithful chinner and I will give you muscles beyond your wildest dreams". I know...some may doubt, but I KNOW. It was prophetic. Experiences such as this come only once in a lifetime...never underestimate the power of the pullup bar.

Briee :p :p :p :p :p :p :p }( }( }( }( }( }(

Oh yes....Sooooooooooooosan. Dinner went fine, but no one brought donuts. I don't think I like Germany.;) ;) ;) ;)

Briee

But Germans eat donuts! Remember when JFK spoke at the Berlin wall, saying, "ich bin ein Berliner"? "Berliner" is a person who's from Berlin, but it is also a "jelly donut." I'm guessing it's the latter translation JFK was referring to.

I'm off to have an airsoft battle with my children. We had some families over last night and had a paintball battle on our land by moonlight. The moonlight helps, but with those crazy masks you can't see anything - especially when they fog over. FUN FUN FUN.

I miss Melody.

Briee

Oh Catherine, I forgot you asked this the other day - about the shoes. I have a couple of pairs of Ryka's - not sure what kind. I really like to wear running shoes as they are lighter and seem to have more cushion. I usually buy what ever is on sale and what feels really good in the store. I guess I am not much of a help.

Briee-girl, you crack me up.

Joanne

Catherine...I would have remembered, but it's the yoga that threw me.

Last two pairs I got were Ryka's straight from the Ryka factory as this was the ONLY place that I could find Enlight II in my size (7). I ordered Engages (I think that's what they are) this past time as they said that they have even more padding. They are called a "studio" shoe. I still needed to buy those $20 inserts that give even more "cush" to avoid shin and knee problems. I can't say that I am thrilled with my Ryka's, but haven't bought anything else for lack of better option. Joanne...do you think regular "running" shoes offer more shock absorption? I think you may be onto something. I REALLY wanted to buy those Nike Shox things that I saw because they looked really "springy", but I believe I fell right into peer pressure with the Ryka's (something I HATE to do). I'm NOT saying that I don't like them, I do, but I think there may be something better out there. My knees are so bad. I'd love to hear what you all do as well.

Briee

Just having this shoe discussion is comforting....means your headed in the right direction Catherine. No yoga for Catherine girls:p :p :p

Can't say I've done any Yoga for a while.
I think the problem with using running shoes for aerobics is the lateral movements. No expert here, but running shoes are made to absorb shock and of course running is a forward movement. Aerobic shoes or crosstrainers have stability built in for lateral or side to side movement???

I don't know, I just want something that works and feels good. I've been looking at the Ryka NGauge XT. some good and some bad reviews. I guess one just has to find what works best for them.

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.