::: CHEETAHS ::: Tuesday, 1/9

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Good morning, cheetahs! :)

I have a doc appt after school today, so GS CT will have to wait until early evening. Have gone a little too high with my calories the last two days even though I have eaten healthy. (I'm striving for a 500-cal deficit, but I burned only *slightly* more than I took in.) So, I'm gonna try to rein it in a little more today.

Laura ::: Maybe it'll take some experimentation. Good luck! I am on the same quest myself as I'd like to try to get results without running 5 days a week.

Hi to everyone else! Enjoy your day & your w/outs! I will be back sometime in the afternoon to catch up.

-Cathy :)

By the way, a question for the cheetahs...

FitDay is estimating that a 76 min. circuit workout would burn 528 calories. Does that sound about right?

TIA!
Cathy :)

Good Morning Cheetahs!

Cathy, The cal estimate is hard to guess as it depends on alot of factors. For me though, when I used to use an HRM (I haven't used one in a while out of sheer laziness :eek: )it said I burned 618 cals doing SJP straight up. I find that to be a bit high IMO but I am no expert!;) So are you trying to cut back on cardio in general or just running, using another cardio in it's place?

I am trying to decide between Plyo-X and Spin for today. Plyo is obviously what's on the schedule but Spin is calling me. I figure it's a good (low-impact) sub for Plyo as it's surely a leg burner. It IS tough for me so it's not like I'm taking the easy road either. Plus I need to take my 1 class at the gym for the week and Spin qualifies. Plyo also scares the cr@p outta me right now....I did 1/2 of it one time and thought I'd like to keel over! I find the IMAXES easier!!!! :eek: Any thoughts ladies?

Well, I'm really not sore from chest and back y'day! WTH!? I was looking forward to some good DOMS atleast in my chest! ACK! I guess I'll have to push harder next time!}(

DH fixed the bar, btw, and no holes in the walls this time so I am good to go for the next round of pull/chin up he!!. WOOH!}(

Gotta work this morning...I'll be back!

Good morning Cheetahs! You all are an early bunch. Like usual I'm already at work, but since no one actually comes in until 8, I try to post before then.

Wendy - I remember the first time I did C&B I did not have DOMS either. Very strange, especially since you are working so hard. If I remember correctly, the second time around it hit me hard. Are you following the classic rotation?

Today is supposed to be a 3.5 mile run. However, my calf is still hurting, even when I am walking. My back is still sore, but not too bad. I might have to back off my running for a couple days to try to recooperate. Oh, well I still have a while before I have to kick my training up a notch. It wouldn't do for me to keep myself injured. Maybe I should dust off my P90X strength workouts and do them for this week. We'll see what I do during lunch today.

Talk to you all later!

G'morning Cheetahs! Well, it isn't a cardio day, but I felt the need for some cardio after eating out last night!! ;-) I didn't do too bad, I got the chicken fajitas & shared some w/ Greg, and had NO dessert. They brought him a sopapilla (spelling?) & ice cream & sang happy bday to him. Oh, and they brought him a sombrero to wear, it was hilarious!!! The girls thought it was soooo funny. I skipped the desserts (including the Jello cake we made him). He had a good bday.

I did BootCamp since I just got it on Fri. I did the Cardio & lower body pre-mix which was about half an hour. PUB is on tap for later today. I just can't seem to lift that one too heavy first thing in the morning. Allison is back to preschool so I'll have a couple hrs to myself this morning!!!! It's been a few weeks now since I've had that free time!! :eek:

So.... it's CleanMax & LaundryMax this morning. Greg's almost done w/ the corner computer desk he's been working on!! It looks AWESOME, I'll make sure to post a pic after it's done. I have to clean off our computer desk to get it ready to move.

OK, gotta go wake up the girlies for school! I'll be back later!

Cathy ~ Enjoy GS C & T, you know that's one of my favs!! I think circuits do burn quite a few cals, not sure on the exact amounts though. I'd say 400-500 cals an hour is about right for Cathe! }( So do you like Fitday?? I tried using it a year or so ago but didn't care for it. I don't track cals anymore, I get too obsessive about things like that, but I do like sparkpeople.com for some good articles/ tips. They have a diet & fitness tracker there too.

Wendy ~ Sorry about the mess up w/ the chin up bar! My dh made a chin up bar out in the garage but I don't have one in the house to use. I hope you see some awesome results w/ P90X!!

Kristi ~ Sorry you've been having some calf problems! My advice is to rest it & stretch VERY well!!! Have a good day at work!!

Christine ~ I *see* you after I posted! Enjoy your workout & have a great day!! Let me know what you think of Baron!

Hey All –

I ate well, yesterday, so I’m happy! Today is L&G and Kelly Coffey-Meyer’s Step-Boxing. I’ve heard it’s fun, so I’m looking forward to it. Also got my Baron Baptiste Yoga DVD so that’s all set for Thursday.

Cathy – I wouldn’t worry about eating slightly more – you’ll do okay. I think the FitDay calorie counts are a little low if you’re in good shape, but I could be wrong. I’ll let others answer that one.

Wendy – if Spin is what trips your trigger today, go for it. PlyoX is a tough workout, but it does have its benefits. If can add some of it in, that would be good too. The chin up bar will get you next time. Glad your bar is fixed! I didn’t have DOMS either the first time either – I think I knew what to expect more the second and pushed harder. It’s good, though. You’ll feel it!

Kristi – good idea not to run when you’re in pain. Sorry, to hear, though as it’s tough to not be able to do what you want. Definitely take a few days off.

Jess – Sounds like a fun time celebrating Greg’s birthday! Enjoy your free time. It’s a precious commodity!

Enjoy your days everyone!!

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I am known for avoiding social outings when I am trying to eat well...(Like now!). I agree...squat thrusts are form hell!!! Good job on DM...That is good you recognize that your eating cals are too high and can adjust...:)...I think that calorie burn for the circuit is accurate.

Susan...thanks for sharing that beautiful story about Melissa. She is definitely in the right place...and tell her http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/happy%20birthday2.gif[/img]

Colleen...you are welcome here anytime. We all get busy and behind sometimes. Don't feel bad about not being here everyday!! I hope you have fun with Cathe's January rotation...:)

Jess...congrats on signing up for the tri!! Should be fun.

Kristi...I think backing off to 3 running days is good right now. Get in some stretching too and see if that alleviates some of the pain you ar feeling. True running shoes should get you about 500 miles but in 6 months time they can still break down, I would think about a new pair. I love my Elliptical and yes, I do think it is great to crosstrain with for running.

Wendy..that is awful about the chin-up bar and the holes! Glad you figured out what was wrong...You might be a bit more sore when you get the bar working. If you don't feel like PlyoX, I'd take the spin class and do PlyoX next week.

Sunny...that is great you signed up for a 5K!! Yes, I have been a football fan since I was 12...

Christine...I get to see the scale today...glad it wasn't too bad for you yesterday. I even got to up my weights in S&H Chest! I will say that one year during the Football season I had to watch the Super Bowl with My Mom & Dad as DH and I were wanting different teams....even the playoffs were bad for both of us!! Thankfully my team won that year...:)..Have fun with your new workout. I'll be curious to know how you like Baron after thursday..

I am doing some exercises form S&H legs and 40 min on my Elliptical.

Have a great day...:)

Good morning ladies,
Just a quick check-in before I start my day. I have to go to the gym and then to a pt appointment. I took a rest day yesterday, but definitley need to burn some serious calories today. I had a feast yesterday. I had cake and chinese food and everything that was in front of me. It is okay though, because it was worth it celebrating with my daughter.

She has a great day. We laughed a lot and and just had a very carefree day. The chinese food was to die for, YUM!!! Okay, but today I am back on track and ready to workout.

I am going to do 45 minutes on the elliptical and then Sh, Bi, and tri's from PUB.

Cathy, DM is my all time favorite, except for butts and gutts, of course. I find Dm just to be fun and the time goes so fast. I would think for a circuit workout for 75 minutes that would be about 500-600 calories. It really depends on how much you weigh and the intensity. I usually burn about 80-100 cals per 10 minutes with most of my intense cardio.

Wendy, I say go for a spin class. That sounds like fun and you have not done that for awhile. I am glad you made it through you first day of power 90. I have never ever tried to do a pullup. How many can you do?

Kristi, take care of your injury before you do anymore running. Take it from me, your body will do so much better if you give it a break. Maybe focus on strength for a week. I hope you feel better.

Jess, you are definitley much more disciplined than I am. I ate like a pregnant horse yesterday(LOL)! Any excuse to have cake with buttercream frosting.

That is great that you are going to do a triathalon. What a fun one to train for too. How is your running going? Are you still feeling knee pain?

Christine, How fun to try to a new step tape. I have heard some good things about the amy bento kickbox xtreme. It supposed to be very intense. Let me know what you think of Baron.

Carole, Yes, I feel that Melissa is definitley in the right place as well. Thanks for the colorful b-day wish. Are you now running 3 times a week? You seem to enjoy the elliptical as I do. It definitley took me awhile to get used to doing a machine after running so much, but I really like it. I do the interval program with hills and it kicks my butt! Well, enjoy your workout today and good luck with the scale.:)

Well ladies, I am off to the gym. Hello to everyone else that follows.

Susan

Good morning to all the lovely cheetahs! What a great group:)
Today will be a 4 mile run and some good stretching:7 :7 :7 I slept great last night which is good since I have only the one night off between work stretches. Tonight it's back to the grind....sigh.

Susan- Happy (belated) birthday to Melissa!!! What a lucky little girl to have been adopted by you. That is awesome that she (and you) were able to overcome the challenges of fetal alcohol syndrome.It's little wonder you are so proud of her! Have a great workout today.... sounds like a real calorie burner:)

Cathy- DM is seriously my all time favorite Cathe workout... it slays me! I'd say the calorie burn estimate sounds about right but it really does vary depending on the person of course. As unfair as it seems, the fitter you are the less calories you burn x( If you are truly intent on maintaining a calorie deficit you may want to invest in a heart rate monitor that also tracks calories burned.

Laurie- I guess it's back to serious business now for you also today. Hope you had a good fun time with your sweetie yesterday!

Christine- I hope all the energy I'm saving this week will come in handy for me next Sunday :) Please let me know how you like the step boxing workout. I'm considering getting that one. Also, I must say how much I admire your general outlook on things. Your DH is a lucky man (which I'm sure he knows) and you are a shining example to us all!

Judy- I guess your unusually warm weather spell is ending and you'll be confined more and more to the TMx(

Carole- My cold is pretty much already defeated:) Actually I rarely get sick, even with my workout schedule. With my work I've built up a pretty strong immune system being surrounded constantly
with super germs! Have a great elliptical run today.... you're really getting your money's worth out of it:)

Jess- Happy (belated) Birthday to your DH! Sounds like you had a fun time and kudos to you over your self control! Not even any cake!!! How exciting that you've signed up for a triathlon! That is my goal this year as well once I've finished with the marathon.
I got a good book on training for beginners. I want to wait til February before I hit the gym for swim training. By then, all the new years resolution crowd should have thinned out.

Kristi- Sorry you're having some issues with your calf x( I think a week of rest from running sounds like a good plan right now. Your shoes may have been contributing also so a good pair right now is also probably worth it. You still have plenty of time to get in shape for the Derby HM!!

Wendy- I'm glad you spotted the problem with your chin up bar! I have a Universal 5 station gym in my basement with a pull up bar attachment. Occasionally with p90x I use the pull down station (like using bands) but I get a far more effective workout doing the pull ups. Hey, don't be afraid of PlyoX. It really isn't as bad as you think.

SunnyD- How great that you've got a race goal (your 5k in april).
You've got to check out the premixs in DM and the other workouts!
They're really great! Any luck yet in finding a PT job so you can take on more clients?

Okay, enough chit-chat.... on to my run :)

ShellyC

Just a quick note to say that I did really enjoy the Step-boxing workout. It's short - I only did the 30 minute step-box, not any of the circuits as I'm doing S&H but after L&G it was just enough. My only issue with this (and with Amy Bento) is that I feel like they are on speed. Kind of like Cathe fast forwarded. I understand that they want intensity and this is a short, intense workout, but I feel like I'm rushed. Cathe never gives me that feeling. She's always so calm about everything even when it's a killer workout. I guess I just need to get used to different instructors. But, I really did enjoy this one. Just keep in mind if you buy it that it's 30 minutes of Step-boxing (I used an 8" step for the first time and didn't find the step work too complicated - although some of the moves took me several tries to get - it is challenging) followed by 15 minutes of intervals, then abs and a BRIEF stretch. I think the stretch is less than a minute, seriously. I went back and did the stretch from L&G. It's a great MishMosh workout, which is exactly what I bought it for. Not a good stand alone one.

Susan ~ I'm glad that Melissa had a nice bday!! I didn't know she was adopted??? How wonderful & she's lucky to have such a great Mom!!! ;-) Funny that you went for Chinese, that's where Hannah picked for her 8th bday too. I love it too, yum!! I'm sure she enjoyed it & her yummy cake w/ buttercream frosting!! I guess I'm lucky in that I don't like cake. Never really have. I do love cheesecake so I'm glad I didn't make that!!! :p

Hope you enjoyed your workout today! Are the girls enjoying being back to school?? My kids are, ahhh the silence!! LOL

I haven't run since last week, I ran some on my Mom's treadmill & didn't feel pain but just some tenderness after. I think I'm going to try a run again on Thurs & see how it feels.

Have a good day!

OK, I finished PUB & upped my weights!! Woohoo! I haven't done it in a while, so I was feelin' good!

Now I need to shower & it's almost time to pick up Allison from preschool. She didn't want to go for some reason today but she was happy to be there once we were there. She's my home body girl, whenever we're gone too long somewhere she always just wants to come home. ;-)

Allrighty, I'd better go shower or else the other parents might complain!! :p

Plyometrics is DONE!

I decided that I had to FACE THE CHALLENGE and I conquered it! WOOH!:+ I recall it being worse but I could have been having an "off" day. I'm just thankful I got through it. It kicked my butt but it didn't kill me. ;)

Kristi, Yes-I'm doing the classic rotation. I originally was going to do the Lean rotation but I changed my mind. So did you decide to do X strength today??

Jess, You are sooo lucky to have such a handy and motivated DH! My DH is motivated when it comes to work but when it comes to things around the house...FORGET ABOUT IT!!!x( He's only minimally handy and rarely has the motivation to do anything anyway. ACK! LOL Can't wait to see pics of the desk!:)

Christine, YEAY for clean eating! Glad you enjoyed the step box vid!

Carole, So are your legs good and fried now? }(

Susan, Funny-my mom's name is Susan too and she LOVES Chinese food as well!:) To answer your question, I have never actually attempted a pull up yet. I guess I should to see what I am capable of before I do another back work out! LOL I'll keep you posted!;)

Shelly, Plyo wasn't as bad...you are right. I had to be having a bad day the time that I tried it. It's TOUGH but doable. I'm glad I went for it after all. When we eventually buy a bigger home, if it has the room, DH and I want to set up a little "gym" in our home and he wants one of those universal gyms. I want a treadmill and an elliptical!}(

Woohoo, WTG Wendy! Glad you faced up to the challenge! Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?? }(

Well, my dh is NOT a neat freak, but he is handy! We're a great team that way. ;-) Greg is always motivated to do a project around the house, we've gotten a lot done in the 5 yrs we've lived here! Tonight the goal is to get the desk in the house & work on getting all of the border off of Hannah's walls so I can start to work painting in there. He does hate to paint but helps me get ready for it, which is fine since I like to paint! ;-)

OK, I'm taking a coffee break but have about 3 loads of laundry to fold & then need to get to work cleaning off the computer desk. Have a great afternoon everyone!

Jess, When you are done folding your laundry you are more than welcome to come on over and fold mine too!:p LOL

Hi Cheetahs. Remember me. I hope so. It's been since summer. First I will catch up. My IT band never really got better this summer and with doc's advice I had to lay off altogether for 2-3 months. I was so disappointed because I was already into training for 2 months for my half marathon when my IT band really started to be impossible to deal with. It even had black bruising near it. I really was crushed in my heart after working so hard and doing hills in the heat.I know other things could have been worse ,it was just really disappointing. I didn't need surgery or anything so in hindsight I was happy just to lay off. Now I did continue to workout but not run so much. My cardio was mainly step and power walking along with yoga and other mish mosh of stuff. Now fast forward. My grandmother as you can remember did pass away so that lead to me not checking in as well. It was really painless and she lived until Sept which in June is when she broke her hip and went down hill. Fast forward even more. I was cleared to run again. I have been running slowly building the endurance again which has come back rather quick. I began to run agian in Dec. I guess if you don't lay off of exercise completly you have an edge. I am currently running a 5k on Jan 21st called Road to the Super Bowl. My friend and I are doing it. She has become my training partner and we are planning on doing the half I missed last year this year. We have been doing long runs on Sundays together ( this week 6 miles) I guess all in all it was a learning process like with anything. I missed you all and am glad to be a cheetah once again.... Today I ran a 4 mile tempo run. Love you all.

P>S> Wendy since Jess is doing your laundry you can do mine. Karen
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Well, the newspaper meeting wrapped up on time, so I was able to jet home for a little bit and will eat an early dinner & relax some before my doc appointment. After that, it’s GS CT…although I admit, I feel a little low on steam today.

Thanks for the responses to my calories burned question… I know a number of factors influence the figure & usually consider any calorie calculation to be just an estimate but was just wondering if FitDay’s number sounded like it was at least in the appropriate ballpark. I’m glad to know that circuits *do* burn a good chunk of calories!!

Wendy :: I’m not really trying to cut back on running per se…Right now, I run about 3-4x a week…and ideally, I'd like to keep the fat loss up without going back to 5 days of running…at least not yet, not now in the winter. And that’s mainly to avoid injury. But until Cathe, I’d never really done any circuit training before. From what I am reading, it sounds like a good fatblaster. So, I’m wondering if I should do *more* circuits during the week. I see that you successfully tackled the Plyo challenge. WTG! Glad the chin-up bar is all primed for action! I like the plans for your home gym…I’d like to have one of those myself!

Kristi :: hope the calves and back are feeling good again soon.

Jess :: WTG on resisting dessert last night! Glad Greg enjoyed his night. Thank ~ GS CT is a fave of mine, too! I do like FitDay, yes. I have been using it for about a year and find that I really do need to keep track for weight loss purposes. I just heard about sparkpeople.com on another thread…will check out some of their articles when I get a chance to surf.

Christine :: great job on eating healthy yesterday! I’m not *too* worried about the calories—I rationalize that I *am* working really hard—but I do want to be conscious about that stuff as I want to reach my goals this year. Especially being in this Biggest Winner competition and knowing I have to face the nurse and her scale in a few weeks! Thanks for the review—it makes me think stepboxing would *not* be for me. You know. The ol' Two Left Feet.

Carole :: I sometimes avoid social gatherings, too, for that reason…and I agree, I'm in that mode right now, too. Although my calorie intake’s been on the high end for a couple of days, I’ve been eating really healthy and don’t want to wreck the groove I’m in.

Susan :: So glad you all thoroughly enjoyed Melissa’s b-day celebration! I agree—DM did go by fairly quickly and is fun. (Although I cannot bunny hop—is that what’s it even called?--to save my life!) Enjoy the elliptical & PUB.

Shelly :: glad you got in a good sleep before another stretch of late nights. I’ll probably hold off on the HRM until it’s time to upgrade my Garmin. I think I probably already run with too much paraphernalia strapped to my body—lol! :)

Karen :: welcome back! Sorry about the setbacks you’ve experienced with your IT. I think all of us here understand the frustration & despair of being sidelined by an injury. But it sounds like you are back in the swing o’ things—terrific! Sorry, too, about the loss of your grandmother. BTW, I peeked @ your picturetrail and just want to say what an amazing transformation you’ve made! Inspiring!

OK, I’ve gotta eat something & get ready for the doc. BBL!

Okay – I’m back and have a little more time. Nice to be busy, though! Wanted to check back for personals…

Carole – Glad to hear your team won!! You two must be real rivals! DH and I just laugh about it – if the other team wins, we’re not too upset about it. Which is good as DH’s team is gonna LOSE!! :+ I’m looking forward to doing Baron, too. Susan has me all excited! Never thought I’d be excited about yoga! I’m so stoked!

Susan – I’m so glad you got to have fun last night! No worries about over eating – you’re gorgeous, it’ll come off again with your workouts. I’m a little nervous about Amy’s kickboxing workout as I heard it’s intense but the form is so bad it would just make me mad. I don’t know. I’m thinking about that one. The Kelly Coffey-Meyers one was fun, though. Kelly looks like a cross between Cathe and Lauren Hutton (the one with the gap between her teeth). As I like both of them, I liked her.

Shelly – thanks about the kudos for my general outlook on life. I go back and forth, but I think over all, I’m happy with myself. I am aiming to get your energy, though. I’m slowly working up to Shelly-level workouts! You are amazing! Enjoy your rest time. Your muscles will thank you!

Jess – great job on upping the weights in PUB!!! WOW! That’s tough! Sounds like you’re moving right along getting your life back in order from the chaos of having the family home all the time. It’s fun, but… :+ I hear ya on the laundry. EVERY day and more on the weekends as I wash the towels, sheets and other stuff. I do a load while my tea is brewing every morning. Fun stuff

Wendy – So glad you didn’t listen to me and go spin! WAY TO GO ON FINISHING PLYOX!!! You’re the Woman! Your workout room you’ll get when you get your new house sounds divine! I want to come over and workout with you!

Karen - welcome back! I’m really sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I was thinking about you the other day and wondered what happened! Ouch! How tough that your IT band issues kept you from your Half, but I’m glad to hear you’re running again! Keep posting with us! We missed you!

Cathy – I admire your discipline and dedication! Good for you! You’re right, it’s that extra dedication and attention to details that can make the difference in how much weight you lose. The Step-boxing workout is not for everyone, but it’s not really a challenging choreography. I think Cathe’s step is harder, quite honestly. But I was not used to the cueing so it was a bit different – for example Kelly’s basic is right foot, left foot, then you tap the last foot off so it’s left foot, right foot right afterwards. That took me a bit to get. But, it did get you on the opposite foot easily…

Just finished GS CT. Hadn't done that one in a while. Just love the way it burns the tri's. Now I get to relax...ahhh! And I'm happy to say I did *much* better today with calories.

Christine :: I'm not always so disciplined! But I have been on a really strong kick since Jan. 1. I think gaining 7 lbs over the holidays snapped me back to reality. That and the competition at school have been great motivators! I really, *really* want to succeed and get back down to "fightin' weight!" That's good to know about the stepboxing...so it's just k'boxing mixed in with a step routine? Maybe I shouldn't write it off so quickly. I *am* actually *slowly* making some progress with the footwork in Cathe's DVDs. (But at least once a workout I come dangerously close to tripping over the step and wiping out. One of these days I wouldn't be surprised if I went head-first into the TV. But hell, that'd be a good reason to buy a flat screen, eh?) :p :D

After my doc appointment, I finally went to Kinko's to have BFFM printed off. No way I could've printed a 200+ page document on my printer and sorted it all out. I can only read limited length pieces on the computer - at some point, I just need to have a hard copy in front of me. So, I look forward to delving into that more deeply.

All right, cheetahs...just a little more computer time and then it's off to the couch for me!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.