::: CHEETAHS ::: Thursday

RunninTeach

Cathlete
Good morning, cheetahs :)

Christine :: I agree with Susan ~ I'd be miffed about the work situation, too. Why you would not be eligible for a position you created, have experience in, and even hired others for in the past sounds just plain dumb. And yet you're in on the hiring process. Something doesn't gel. Does this guy maybe have his candidate already in the can and the interviews are mere formality? Could your boss maybe go to bat for you on this? GOOD LUCK and keep us posted...I also have Yoga Burn and like it. It is slow (Rodney usually repeats each pose 3 times) but somehow the hour goes by quickly. My DVD has a bit of a flaw in the beginning. The other ones I have are Yoga Conditioning for Athletes (decent), Yoga Sculpt (an older one by Kathy Smith - it's not bad), Crunch The Joy of Yoga (another one I used to do years ago, I'm not as crazy about it now) and 10 Min Solutions yoga, which I do like. I would avoid Yoga for Inflexible People (the DVD is poor quality and is overall NOT what I was looking for) and Ultimate Stretch (it is kundalini - too far out for me). I have Yoga Shakti, too, but never use it for some reason. Everything else I have is Power Yoga. So, my quest continues, too...

Looking forward to the first day with the kids. I had a dream that I had an unruly homeroom. :) We'll spend about two hours with our homeroom today, going over the handbook and procedural stuff. It's a lot of talking the first few days. I better bring some extra water! After working out my jaws at school all day, I will most likely go for a run.

Have a great day, everyone!!

Good Morning Ladies.

Sorry I never made it back here last night. DH hopped on the computer right when I was almost ready to plop my arse in the chair...the NERVE of him!:eek: *LOL* I then got busy with laundry and whatever so when he got up I didn't sit down. When I finally plotzed after DS when to bed I was just too tired. I laid on the couch for about 30 mins and then went to bed and read for a while.

I am previewing Tread n Tush as I type this. I am excited to to try it at the gym this morning!}(

Oh my! I just went to take a sip of the java and realized my cup is EMPTY! The HORROR! I must refill it FAST! LOL I'll be back in just a few to catch up on personals from last night. I PROMISE!:)

BB in a jiff!:+

Good morning, guys! I have to go back and read last night's post. WIll do that next, promise!

Just wanted to come say HI quick, and post my workout (so far). Up at 5:30 and did ME. I just downloaded 2 new iClimb workouts and I'm going to hit the YMCA after the bus for a 20 min. ellip workout and a 20 min stair climber workout. I have a run scheduled, but I want to try out these 2 alternatives to fight the PF!

I promise to be back a bit later, after my cardio sessions to chat more!

Gayle

I'm baaack! Did ya miss me? :p

Hi Gayle! Great job banging out ME so early in the morning! I THOUGHT about working out at 6:30 y'day morning but quickly dismissed that idea and sat on my arse drinkin' coffee instead! LOL

Christine: What are PT's like in your experience? Rude, pushy drill sargeant types? LOL I am sooo not like THAT and don't want to be. I want to be motivating but I don't want to do it via intimidation or whatever. I hate that! YUCK! x(
As far as your job situation goes...I get the 1 year policy thing and that's fine but then for the VP to say that they have made exceptions to that rule in the past confuses me. Why would he tell you that if he weren't going to consider making the exception for YOU!?

Judy: Glad you were able to remedy your pain. Nice score on the cookware! I am not a fan of cooking personally. It's OKAY. Sometimes I am in the mood for it but most of the time I truly would rather not be bothered. LOL I cook ALOT for someone who doesn't love it but I just don't get creative most of the time.

Carole: Thanks for the advice on the race AND the recovery time from the half. I'll see how I feel and take it from there. How was your work out y'day? Still painting?

Shelly: I would love to just have a business of training clients in my or their homes but that is hard to do for a beginner. My "clients" right now I know personally are perfect clients for a beginner trainer as they are beginner exercisers. I am going to be running off a batch of resumes and sending them out to local gyms w/in the next week. A gym is really where I need to start and then take it from there. Perhaps down the line I could start my own legitimate business training out of the home or in a rented studio or something. I hope you get through that 2nd and last day of classes okay.

Susan: Great job on your runs lately! You are really kickin' butt again. Good for you! Yes, my eating is going well so far. I got back on track starting Tuesday and have already started dropping some of the 3 or so pounds I gained from being TOO bad for TOO long!

Cathy: You sound like me...I NEVER miss a meal! LOL So how was the first day with the kids? Does your jaw hurt? :p Enjoy your run!

Good Morning Cheetahs!

*Has moment of silence for Luciano Pavarotti* I’m sorry I never got to hear him sing in person. What a voice!

May have to sub my run this morning because we’re surrounded by wild fires and the air is pretty smoky. I might sub a Spinervals. We’ll see. I’ll go out at run time and check the skies. I’m kind of bummed because I was looking forward to my run, but that’s life. Might be doing my long run on a treadmill this week if the wind continues to blow the direction it is. Ironically, the fire that’s close by is NOT the one making the skies smoky, it’s the one up by Carole which is a good 5 hours away. And no, I’m in no danger from the one close by. It’s in an open space preserve south of us that is huge. It’s about 30 minutes away.

Susan – thanks for the note. Nice to know I’m not crazy to be miffed. I always appreciate your 2 cents, girlfriend! Thanks for the recommendation on Yoga Burn. I’m going to order that today!

Cathy – Thank you, too! I do think he has someone in mind, or perhaps he is giving himself a way out if after talking to my boss and my boss’s boss he finds that I’m not the kind of worker they would like to promote. Who knows. I’m very disheartened, though. I’m going to look through Baron and Rodney’s websites to see what else they have. Any ideas of other good instructors? I know Susan adores Bryan, but he grates on my nerves for some reason. LOL.

Wendy – How dare your DH do that to you! LOL… Have fun with Tread and Tush! Sounds like a killer. The PT’s I’ve met are so sure that their way is the only way that I think they scare most people off. Or they are so woefully under trained that it’s not funny. I watched one girl who could not be more than 20 take an older gentleman through a series of lunge and twists with a wooden bar on his shoulders. The poor guy could not balance himself and was distinctly uncomfortable. I doubt he’ll be back to the gym thinking that exercise is too hard. It’s sad. Who knows about the job? I get the one year policy as well, but honestly, it would be much more difficult to train an external candidate for the new position than the one I have now.

Gayle – Have fun with your iClimbs! I like to do that with them, too. Makes it more interesting!

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning ladies! This week is not working out well exercise wise. Yesterday during lunch my coworkers and I had a baby shower for our artist here. It was nice to get out of the office. During lunch today I need to go to the store and buy cupcakes for DD’s class to celebrate her birthday. It isn’t until Sunday, but they like to celebrate these things on Fridays. Tonight I also have bunko. This week has been so busy. Anyway, by the beginning of next week I should be able to get back on track. I will also have a few new toys to play with. I bought a 4G mp3 player and a 305 Garmin. I’m so excited about finally being able to use them. I can’t wait to upload my workouts and music on my new mp3 player. Right now I have a really small (500 meg?) mp3 player so I am limited on space.

Anyway onto personals:

Cathy – Have a great first day back and enjoy your run afterwards.

Gayle – How were the iClimbs? Sorry to hear about your PF. I hope you can take care of it before it gets too bad.

Wendy – Good luck with tread n tush. It is a great workout. I underestimated it when I did it for the first time. However, by the end of the day I was already getting DOMS and had it the whole next day.

Judy – Congrats on your new cookware. I keep telling myself I need to buy new ones especially since I cook almost every day. Enjoy your new purchase and Las Vegas!

Amy – How was the first day of school?

Marcia – I hear you on the heat and humidity. It is awful here too. This makes I think almost 6 weeks for temps from 90-100 degrees. Will summer ever end? How did practice go last night?

Christine – Good luck going back to Yoga and Pilates. I have found Ana Caban to be an excellent instructor. I have one DVD of hers, but I can’t think of the name of it. Lately, I’ve been thinking of stopping heavy weight work because of my increased appetite. It is getting out of control for me. It sounds like Jimmy’s training is really going well. A trained dog is a happy dog or at least I think so. Sorry to hear about your meeting with the VP. I think if you really want the position then go for it. You might need to be pretty persistent, but your boss sounds like he will be backing you up. Good luck!

Carole – I think I might finally be over the stomach bug. It has taken almost 4 days to get rid of it and now DH has it. I’m hoping the kids don’t get it. Tell me more about using the metronome to run with. If I remember correctly, isn’t it a device used for practicing music to keep time to the beat.

Shelly – Good luck with your classes and tests. Do you need these for certification? Chelsea is home now. Her and Sadie are getting along great. Everyone once in a while Chelsea wants to play with her but Sadie just walks away. Everything is going so much better than expected. She is bonding with the family very well. I’m really looking forward to the day when I can run with her other than in the back yard. If all goes well and she keeps progressing in her training then maybe by the end of the month I might be able to run with her around the neighborhood. We’ll see.

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I hope the 1st day with the kids goes great!! I can imagine you would dream about the class the night before. The run was fun with the metronome at 82. It was windy when I ran and as I usually HATE that, concentrating on my form and running by the beat of the metronome made the run so easy...:)

Wendy...sounds like you are working the legs a lot in the next few days...:)..I can't believe DH stole your PC time!...When I got my new PC 2 years ago, I set up my old one that is still working well for my DH...he does not get to use this one...:)..My workout was great yesterday. Yes, still painting..I have still contemplated a cattle prod for DH!...

Susan...sorry about the PC issues! Sometimes upgrades can be bad..Your workouts are looking great, so glad you are back to running. Yes, I think the Chi technique would be tough on a treadmill. You just set the metronome on the cadence you want, and it beeps everytime your left or right foot strikes the ground, as you count on one side. Danny recommends staying in a 85-90 cadence for Chi running. I think mine was normally about 80, but in improving my technique all the time I am going to get to 85.

Christine...I do understand the weight gain thing completely. You do sometimes have to change things up to see what helps get the weight off, even more so as we age...:(..The run was GREAT at 82...I felt like my form was better and I even kicked my stride back a bit downhill. I thought the beep of the metronome would bug me, but so far I am liking the results...:)..On your work issue, I agree with Susan & Cathy...I feel it is BS. I just cannot believe he wants you to interview for the job YOU created! I don't like this time of the year as there are fires. I have run in smoky conditions a few times (felt like I was back in LA!), and it is just not fun. Spinervals might be a better option.

Kristi...congrats on the mp3 player and Garmin 305. Yes, the metronome is used mostly for music. In Chi running it s used to track your cadence. The amount of steps you take every minute. You do not count both feet but just one every time it hits the ground. Danny from Chi running believes the cadence best for us is 85-90. I 1st tried 85 last friday and had a hard time keeping it there, so I started sunday at 80 for my long run and will slowly work up to 85...(I hope)

Gayle...sounds like the job is going well!! I do hope you get some relief from the PF. Good job with ME at 5:30. Enjoy the Y and the iClimb workouts.

Today, I am doing Leaner Legs and 40 min on my EXT.

Tomorrow we leave for Southern Cal few days. Visiting my FIL and one of my BF's from High Schols is having a girls GTG Sat for some of my other HS friends. Should be fun!

Good morning Cheetahs!

How are you today? The first day of school went well! I love seeing the kids again. There are new and old faces!

We are doing reading accessment testing now to see where they are.

I ran 4 miles this AM before work. I am running my first 5K race this Sunday - a Sept 11th fundraiser. Can't wait! I feel a little out of shape though since I fell out of my workout schedule the past few weeks.

Cathy - I wish you the best for your first day of school. Let us know how it goes! I never sleep well the night before. I feel like I will miss my alarm clock!

Wendy - You are super workout woman. I love it. You remind me of myself - when my coffee runs out (I go to take that sip and it is gone!) I need more more more!

Susan - I hope the PC issues are getting resolved. Good luck with that!

Christine - It is interesting about workouts and weight gain/loss. The age thing too. I try to switch it up as much as I can. Hopefully we will see our positive results!

Kristi - do you love your new MP3 player and Garmin? I would love to get a Garmin. I know we have all talked about it here in the past. Thanks for asking about my first day of school!

Gayle - It is hard to get in those personals sometimes. I think we all understand here! How are things going at the school? Hope you are happy!

Carole - Enjoy your trip this weekend! That sounds like a blast! Hope the weather is enjoyable too!

Take care all, have a great day!
Amy :)

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=17330452&uid=9486985&members=1

Hey guys....another drive-by post for me. Just got back from the Y...they re-arranged the equipment to prep for their move into the new building, and they put the stair climber in storage for a few more weeks. SO...I did iClimb 5 and iClimb 9 back-to-back for 40 minutes of ellip work. HPF felt fine while climbing!

Now I've changed and am headed out the door. The weather is GORGEOUS and I'd like to start walking up to the school. It's just about 1/2 mile, so why waste good weather (and expensive gas), right? lol

BBL to get caught up!

Gayle

Good morning cheetahs! Finished up the PALS (Pediatric Adv. Life Support) class yesterday... long and tiring. Got home and got in a good 5 mile interval run to charge me up again:) I work tonight, but only for one:) This Saturday I will likely run in a local half marathon, then DH returns later that day and we will have some friends over for dinner.... it should make for a nice weekend I'm looking forward to.

Amy- Good luck on your upcoming 5k! I love to hear race reports from people who are doing it for the first time. You will have a blast!!!

Carole- Oh boy, an old girlfriend GTG!!! That will be FUN:+ :+
Hope the weather is good for you in S.Cal. Will you be running there?

Kristi- Glad that everything is working out okay with Chelsea. Oh my you have all sorts of neat toys now to play with when you run. I think you will like your Garmin especially! The Advanced Life Support classes, both Peds and Adults are a requirement for my job. I have to get recertified every 2 yrs and they are always changing things. x(

Gayle- Glad you got in a good workout with the ellipticals. Maybe you should try what Elaine does and workout on a recumbent bike. That takes ALL impact on the foot away. Sounds like your job is perfect for you!!!

Wendy- Gyms are always looking for PTs and you can say you've already had experience with clients now! I don't think it will take you very long to land a position. I'll be curious about what you think of the ITreadnTush. I've been considering that one.

Christine- I hope you don't "roll over" so to speak for the VP and his absurd request!!!!! I'd dig my heels in over this.... NOT RIGHT!! If exceptions have been made in the past they can make one now. Can you go over his head to someone else about this?
Thanks for your take on the Pilates workouts... I'll be purusing through the selection at CollageVideo soon. Sorry about the smoke from the fire ruining your run.... very smart to stay indoors!!

Susan- Computer problems x( x( x( x( Don't ya just hate em? Sounds like you are on a very solid track again with your running. You are wise to consider chi running and focus on injury prevention!!! Since my own injury debacle last year I've been doing the same. I had started Chi running about 2 yrs ago but then
just forgot about it. Now I've seen the error of my ways and am concentrating on it again.

Cathy- I almost forgot you!!! Have a great first day! A run would be a great finish to it!

Time to get moving before it heats up too much outside. I'll be going for an easy 3 mile run and then some upper body work... probably PP x 2.

ShellyC

Good morning ladies,
I tired this morning. I so wish I was a coffee drinker to give me a jolt. I just may have to have a snicker bar}( Actually my eating is back on track, so maybe that is not a good idea;-)

I am going to run 3.5 miles today and then do KPC abs. I ended up doing the gauntlet yesterday and it was so much fun. I did not find it too be too hard though. I really should take my step to 8 inches, but I get knee twinges then. Oh well, I will just have to jump higher next time.

Cathy, good luck on your first day of classes today. I have yoga shatiki too and I like it but also do not do it that often.

Wendy, I was a pt for 10 years and I found that the more approachable you are the more clients you will have. I was a kick your butt kind, but always with a great positive attitude and a smile. You will be great! I found that just being incredibly organized and confident is definitley key. Now go fill up that java}(

GAyle, sounds like a good workout done and more planned. Hope the PF is better:)

Christine, so what is your plan for the work situation? We actually had a lot of smoke up here yesterday due to the fires as well. I never really found out where they were coming from though. I heard there was one in San Ramon.

Kristi, how fun to have some new toys. I LOVE my mp3 and could not run without it.

Carole, so it sounds like you and I are injury free right now, WOO HOO!!!! Let's keep it that way. Are you going to run the half in las vegas with Shelly?

Amy, glad you had a great first day of school:)

Hello to Shelly and everyone else. I gotta run!!

Susan

OUCHEES! I have DOMS in my triceps from UML!}(

So Tread n Tush was FANTASTIC! I loved it! I used weights for the walking lunges and wall squat portion only. Next time I will add weights to the rest of the exercises so that I GARUNTEE some toasty DOMS in my lower body the next day!}( I am curious to see how I will feel tomorrow morning though!:+

Christine: Glad to hear that you are in no danger from the fires. Too bad they are going to interfere with your run though. That stinks. Yeah, that poor gentleman probably got scared off by that PT. What a shame. That's the thing. There is a fine line between a work out that is results driven and one that is just completely out of line for the person you are training. I am getting great practice figuring that out with my BF though. She is very out of shape so I was forced to create a beginner program for her. She is working hard but not over-exerting herself and keeps coming back for more so I guess I'm doing okay. I am pushing her past what she THINKS she is capable of yet not so far that I will scare her away or worse yet, cause her physical harm.

Kristi: Have fun with your new toys! I only have a 2 gig nano and I am at the point where it ONLY has ITrain work outs on it! I have no room for music anymore! LOL I am going to ask for a MUCH bigger one for Christmas!}( So did you use weights when you did Tread n Tush? Grace does not tell you to use weights at all so I was just curious.

Carole: Yeah, gotta give the legs a tough work out once in a while. I tend to take it easy on them a bit too often, especially now with the half training. I don't want to be sore when it comes time for my long runs!:eek: Oh Carole your time in Southern Cali sounds like a blast! I'll bet you can't wait for the HS GTG! How cool! Have fun!:)

Amy: Good luck with your race this weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Shelly: You are going to run a half in the morning and entertain in the evening? YIKES, girl! You need to bottle that energy!!!!:+

Susan: I love hearing about your kick butt work outs again. It's so inspiring. You've come back from an injury and are going strong again. I love it! :) I have to admit that I am extremely nervous about getting a job in a gym. The 2 gals that I am currently training (for practice) are personal friends of mine and are not scrutinzing my every move. I am afraid that my employer and/or client will pick me apart and cause my demise before I am barely given a chance.x( I guess I could use my BF as a reference since I am training her BUT the fact that I am being paid has to be kept hush-hush as that won't go over well since I am not running a "legal" business or anything. UGH!

Christine – That is awful about the wildfires. I’m glad you are a safe distance away from them.

Carole – I’m really intrigued by Chi Running. Is it helping to keep injuries at bay or too early to tell yet? What a nice use for the metronome. I never would have thought of using it for running. You will be up to 85 in no time. Have a great time in South Cal and with the girls GTG. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Amy – I’m glad to hear your first day went so well. Good luck with your 5K on Saturday. I’m sure you will do great! Today I received my new mp3 player so I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. I’ll try it out this weekend when I have more time to play with it and buy an arm sleeve for outdoor running. My garmin should be here the beginning of next week. I love getting new things. Too bad it doesn’t happen very often.

Shelly – Is this weekends HM a practice run for you? Congrats on finishing up your PALS! It is amazing to hear what you need to know for you job. You are one busy woman! Do you like Chi Running? Carole has me intrigued by it. Maybe I should buy the book and read up on it.

Susan – Walk away from the Snickers!! Great job on your running and getting back on track with your eating. I need to work on that myself. I promised myself that if I lost 15 pounds then I can go buy a new wardrobe for fall. If that doesn’t kick my butt into gear then nothing will. I’m going to wait til Monday though to start so I can go grocery shopping on Saturday and fill the house with good stuff.

Wendy – I’m glad you like Tread n Tush too. I didn’t use any weights when I did it, but that is because I don’t work my legs as much as I should. I’m a weinee. :) I will probably use weights the next time I do it though. My DH just found this mp3 player a few minutes ago if you are still interested when Christmas comes around. If 4G is not big enough then I will buy this one for Christmas. I will have to wait and see.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?in...aily_html-_-06sep07_MP320DEAL-_-MP320DEALmain

Well, I need to get some work done around here. I’ve been goofing off since I came back from lunch. Oh, during lunch I finally got my hair cut. They took off 8-9 inches and now my hair is short. I’m really excited about the new do. Change is good sometimes. Now I need to color my hair to cover up all the grey I have. It is awful to be almost 32 and have so much grey. I’m going to blame DH for that. :)

Wendy,
You are SO knowlegable and ready for this. You really just have to be confident even if you are nervous and just go for it! I have seen so many crappy pt's and some with no personality. You will be great, just make sure you are organized and know that not every client is a good fit and don't be afraid to aknowledge that. I had 300lb football players that would patronize me and just not serious and have terrible form and I just said this is not a good fit let me find another trainer for you. YOU are the one in charge. I actually only worked in a club for a couple of years. I used to go to people's homes and work with them there. It was so much nicer and you didn't have to put up with anything at a gym. Sorry, I just totally rambled on. I just know how intimidating it can be. When I did it, I did not even have all the knowledge I do now with Cathe, so you are in great shape to do this. Okay, nuff said:)

SUsan

Hi cheetahs! Just a quick post - I will have to do personals in the AM. The first day with the kids was good, but it kicked my butt. It's hard to explain, but the first week (for me, anyway) brings about a good sort of stress - a flurry of preparation but also an excitement and anticipation that somehow leaves you a little drained from it all the end of the day. It's also a re-adjustment to wear heels all day! :) So anyhow, I really had to light a firecracker under my own butt tonight to lace up and hit the streets. I kept it to just a little over 2 miles. And now a stretch. Ahhh!!

Have a great night! Will catch up and do personals in the morning - promise!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.