:::::CHEETAHS:::::Sunday Sept 17

Early Cheetah here mentally and physically preparing for 20K:eek: :eek: I was a bit restless last night but I'm excited for the challenge}( :7 My friend Ruth (who I'll run the 1/2 with) is running a 10K event at the Sandbanks which will be also be part of our event route. We'll rendezvous after at her place for de-briefing which has become a weekly and much anticipated event. Training for this has been a wonderful new facet of our 30+ year friendship. Once this run in complete there's no more long Sunday runs-----HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY!:7 :7

Workoutqueen and Susan, awesome job on your 10Ks yesterday, I can't wait to feel the energy of an organized event. You guys did so great!! :)

Okay, it's time to get ready for the hour drive to our run today....jeez up at 5:50 and out the door at 6:50 on a Sunday.....Yup, you got a be crazy to be a CHEETAH:+ }( :7

Take Care
Laurie:)

Good morning Cheetahs:

Laurie: good luck with your early a.m. run today. You will do great.

Gayle: Good luck on your HALF today! Go Girl Go!!!!

Katrina & Susan: fab job yesterday! You guys rock.

I've been MIA for quite awhile -- but now with the family weekend of 5 parties in 4 days over, I picked myself up off the floor and have re-entered life as "normal." (Party 1, 3, 4 & 5 had 35 people and Party 2 had 80 people -- all at the humble house that is not meant to have so many bodies here!)

The parties went great, though: Thanks Judy & Christine for sending out a "hello!" I've been keeping up with posts over the past few weeks when I can.

My DS did a great job. Part of the bar mitzvah process was a community service project to raise money for childhood cancer. He has sold over $2000 of Whole Foods gift cards -- a portion of which gets donated to Curesearch, the organization that funds childhood cancer research. He got a lot of support from family and friends!!

My family fears of my MIL and my Mom -- were well-founded, but I handled it like a cheetah, not collapsing into a puddle, but staying upright and just looking them in the eye, thinking: "You ladies are truly prairie dogs -- but I am not going to be your prey." A major accomplishment for me. Interestingly -- by the fact that I kind of stood up to my mom, solidy, but politely, she went after my brother (age 52 -- and told him he was fat!! Can you believe this? Unbelievable.. Then his wife, who is a doll, says to her: "No, he's not fat, he's Hunk-a-licious!!!" ;-) which dumbfounded my mother -- who at her age, should not be so ungracious....Relatives in my family are stranger than fiction, ladies...)

Exercise wise? I've been running per usual and keeping up with weights, floor work, & abs -- it has kept me sane.

I will start getting back into personals day by day.

You guys are all great! You inspired me to do my very best. Today I'm planing to do an 8 or 9 mile run. We have a lot to get back in order in the house still, but all is well!!

Have a great day
Barb
:) :) :)

Good Morning Ladies!

Laurie, You'll do great on your 20k today! You go girl! So after you run your half, are you going to work on speed and run a shorter race? Or will you sign up for a full marathon instead? }(

Barb, Phew, I'm so glad the craziness is over and has left you in one piece girlfriend! You have had a busy time of it but have handled it like a true cheetah! I hope you can find some time for some R&R now...You deserve it!:)

Elaine, Yes, I got a response about the jogging stroller and the front wheel does NOT turn. I can make it veer in one direction or another by putting pressure on it in that direction but to really TURN it, you need to lift the front wheel off the ground. I am thinking that it handles easier when you are jogging/running w/it since that is what it is built for. I haven't had the chance to try it out still but I will report back on it when I do!:)

Susan, WTG! So are you already thinking about what kind of race you want to sign up for next? }(

Workoutqueen, Good job on the 10k! You'll improve your time...practice makes perfect! Keep trying!

Cathy, Congrats on the weightloss! Doesn't it feel good when you finally bust thru a plateau? :)

Well I have upper body and abs on tap for today. I am going out for an indian lunch with a few friends today as well. YUM!:9

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Good morning cheetahs

Laurie...I hope you have a good run today. I am up early with you. Out the door about 6:25 for my run!!

Barb...glad to hear from you!! Wow...you had quite a crowd for those parties! I am so glad you stood up to your MIL and MOM. There is no reason for you to be picked on. I have to admit the stranger ones are in my DH's family...:)...I am sure the running did help your stress level!! Look forward to seeing you more...

Wendy...have a good workout today and enjoy your Indian food...:)

I'll be doing about 16 miles on trails this morning. My neice who just moved here will be running with us! She will be doing a relay race next week on this course and my sister thought it would be a good idea for her to see these 2 nasty hills she will have to run.

Then home for Football...I hope I do better in my picks than last week...

Have a great day...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/sae/football5.gif[/img]

Laurie ::: enjoy your early-bird run! Great song - it's on my skydiving video, so I always get pumped up when I hear it!

Barb ::: glad you’re back and you survived the hardcore hostessing scene. I love your SIL’s answer: hunk-a-licious. :) I’m curious: how come you had 5 separate parties? Is that tradition? Or were they just different groups you preferred not to mix?

Wendy ::: thanks! Yes, it does feel really good b/c I have been stuck at the same weight all summer. My body composition has been changing, though…I really love what Cathe has been doing for me. I feel stronger than ever. Sounds good about the 5K. Is October out? Great pace on your neighborhood run. I have a feeling I’m going to ask you to put ME in the stroller when we do this race…ha ha :) I was at Kohl’s yesterday, too…it was a madhouse and I didn’t find anything. The fall styles are killing me. Everything's so LONG!

Jess ::: hope you had fun geekin’ out w/ the band at the pumpkin festival. :)

Carole ::: I told myself the same thing – not to feel guilty about a lighter workout week. I still managed 3 runs and 2 whole-body weight workouts, which isn’t bad for a kind of crazy workweek. I am going to drop a check in the mail for John in the morning.

Adri ::: isn’t Saturday – no school – a GREAT feeling? Sundays are good, too, but about 3 pm, I start to get the dreaded feeling like the weekend is over. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE my job – but I savor the weekends. Shopping yesterday was, believe it or not, a bust! L All I managed to score was a pair of ski goggles for 50% off. I’ll need them in Colorado this December. What’s this – you NEVER want to talk to your teachers??? ~lol~ They can’t be THAT bad, can they?

Katrina ::: great job on the 10K!!! Way to go on beating your goal.

Christine ::: Sounds like you had a fun night. The furniture is gorgeous. You’re right – having 3 days off from running left me kinda “charged up.” I had a strong run yesterday.

Susan ::: congrats on your great 10K finish as well!! I say you earned the ice cream. I eat just about anything they put in front of me after a race.

Elaine ::: enjoy your last long run. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to venture outside of Cathe. I have two new Jari Love’s, and I’ve only done one of them once so far. I said last week or so that it feels like I’m cheating on her if I do another DVD!

Colleen ::: I don’t *usually* take an entire week for rest – but it depends on circumstances (e.g. I did wind up missing a week of running while traveling this summer). Listening to your body is something I think you just get better at doing over time. You pay attention to how certain foods, certain times of day affect your runs. You recognize the difference between when you’re just a little bit tired but could push yourself to run faster (or just get out the door, period) and when you’re too exhausted and need to rest. Getting a cold is a red flag that your body’s worn down and you need to slow down. So I would say take the time you need but no more than a week. That is my new rule for myself. When I first started teaching five years ago, I was getting sick ALL the time. I kept falling out of my workout routine – the stress, the crazy hours, and the nonstop germs put me in a bad cycle. I wound up becoming completely sedentary, packing on pounds, and having my energy levels drop to an all-time low. I finally did something about it last January, and I feel so good and strong now (I’ve proven to myself that I can juggle teaching, life, AND going back to school myself) and I really don’t think I will ever backslide to that degree again. Even taking two days off in a row is hard. I think you just get in that “zone.”

Jennifer ::: don’t know if you’ll be checking in, but if you do, good luck in your half!

Last night, I went out for drinks with some friends…had about 4 Corona Lights and 1 tequila. I feel fine this morning but will reserve my workout for later in the afternoon. Not sure yet what I feel like doing.

Just wondering…do any of you cheetahs substitute dumbbells for barbell work? For certain exercises in PH yesterday, the bar was getting on my nerves.

Hi to Judy, Thomasina, Gayle, Katie, Marcia, Mattea, Natalie, Dina, Wendy Marie, Pamela, Laura, and anyone else who drops in today.

Have a great Sunday!
cathy :)

Getting ready for my 20 mile run. The sun will be peaking over the horizon in another 15 or 20 minutes then I am out the door. It was quite warm yesterday and I want to get ahead of it if that will be the case today.

Barb, I have no problem with the idea that your relatives are stranger than fiction since that has been the case with my family for my whole life!! It wasn't until I started standing up to my mother that I got the full picture of how pitiful she is. These days I'm really disliking her more though because she has planted her fat, ungracious, martyr's a$$ in the middle of my brother's family while he is literally dying. She tries to be the gatekeeper of information about how he is doing and she seems to get too much pleasure from the bad news she likes to pass on to me. And if she tells me one more time how hard it is for a mother to have a son dying from cancer I think I will kill her, or at the very least tell her to shut the you know what up! Wow, I could really feel my blood boil as I typed that. Can you tell I have a bit of pent up hostility in me these days??? Anyway, I'm glad your parties went great and also that they are behind you. And good work for your DS selling those Whole Foods cards.

Well, sorry about that everyone. Now I have not time for personals since I have to finish getting ready to go run. Wish me luck!!

Quick post from biker cheetah today. Did 12.5 miles w/ my friend Erin, nothing strenuous, just a nice ride to stretch out & chat of course!! She's still not sure what she's going to do, if she's going to do the half or the full marathon w/ her ITB issues.

Then I made some WW waffles & my dd made scrambled eggs (her new masterpiece! LOL) for breakfast & now I've gotta get the crew dressed up for church! ;-)

Susan & Katrina ~ WTG on the 10K's!! You Cheetahs ROCKED it!!! We're proud of you!!

Elaine ~ Good luck on your 20 miler today, hope you have a great one!!

OK, sorry no more time for now but I'll BBL this afternoon!!!

Cathy, thanks for the support. You are living the level of life I hope to achieve.
I used to attend some group support meetings and they suggested that if you want something (a way of life) someone else has achieved, do what they did. That's why I tag along with you Cheethas. I want a higher & balanced level of good health & fitness and you gals are my heroines.
I went and bought Zicam & Airborne last night, I'm drinking lots of tea and water and I'm going to take another rest day so while you Cheetahs are in the groove I'm going to sit on the couch with the paper.
Elaine, Good Luck and enjoy the run and the endorphine fun.
Hello to all.
Colleen
:7

Good Morning Lovely Ladies!

Another busy day for me! No workout today – I need a break as I was out dancing half the night! I had a great time! But, actually, I had planned today as a rest day. We are playing Bocce Ball today for Services for Brain Injury. That will be fun. Then I have to do some grocery shopping – Mother Hubbard’s cupboards are bare.

Laurie – good luck with your 20k! We’re here cheering ya on! But, I think you’ll miss your long Sunday runs. :p

*Bows before Super Hostess Barb* WOW!!! And your son! What a great accomplishment for a wonderful cause! You should be a proud Cheetah Mama. Aren’t relatives fun? And unlike friends, we have to put up with them. Glad you were able to keep up the workouts! You’re doing fabulous!

Wendy – we lock my sister’s wheel to run or walk, so maybe that is a good thing! Let us know how it goes when you do christen it! Enjoy your lunch – I adore Indian food. It’s Italian for me at Bocce!

Carole – I’ll miss most games today! I’m so bummed! But this is a good event! Enjoy your run!! After my half I’m going back to trails! I miss them! Oh, when we get the furniture, we’ll have the GTG in my back yard! Cheaper and easier – and I can cook clean and vegan!

Cathy – I often sub dumbbells for barbells – my bar is a major pain to change so on a lot of exercises it’s easier for me to sub dumbbells. Glad you think the furniture is nice! I can’t wait to order it!

Elaine – I hope your run goes really well!! I hear it’s supposed to be warmer today. Oh joy. Yesterday was nice, but hotter?! Ick!

Jess – Sounds like a wonderful breakfast and a great ride! I’m sorry to hear that Erin’s ITB issues aren’t resolved yet. That has to be a heartbreaking decision!

Colleen – we’re always happy to have you here! You’re a wonderful addition to our group!

G'morning Sekcy Cheetahs!!!
I'm up pretty late this morning. Well, went to bed late too so I asked for it:7 Today at the gym is biceps, triceps, and abs. No cardio today.

Laurie- Oooooo good luck cheetah!!!! Your ganna do great I know it ;-) Have a great time too! Sending you (((((GOOODLUCK)))))!!!

Susan and Katrina- You cheetahs did fantatic yesturday!!! Wow, we have like the best cheetahs here in the world:D:D Great Job!

Barb- Wow you were one busy cheetah ha!?!?!?!?! Glad all that crazy stuff is over for ya!!:)

Wendy- Mmmmmm an Indian lunch sounds good:9 :9 Hope you enojoy it!! Then have a good time burnin it off w/ upper body;-)!

Carol- 16 miles girl you on a role!!! I still beat cha with my 45 miels I did yesturday:p:p LOL Hope you have a great run! Your reward is FOOTBALL!!:D

Cathy- I know how you feel. When the bell rings at 2:30 on Friday I just like run outa there w/ my firends. Then come home and talk to my fav cheetahs!!! Then time to WORKOUT!!! Love saturday, the gym and the mall, then sunday, yea I can sleep in but when I go to the gym at about 3 and come home at 6 I feel likes its already monday morning x( I hate school x( I'de rather workout for 6 friggen hours
}(}( Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on googles. Hope ya enjoy em;-) And yea, teachers are pretty bad now-a-days IMO}:)+

Elaine- Enjoy your 20 miler today cheetah!! Sending you
(((((GOOODLUCK)))))!!

Jess- Hope you have a great day! C yea later!

Colleen- Hope you feel better cheetah. Sorry I got you sick from all the way up here in maine :-(

Have a great day cheetahs!!

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Good morning lovely cheetah!

I'm feeling great this morning. I am itching to start training for my half now. I am going to have to come with a rotation that includes a little more strength training and some more step and kickboxing. In other words, I need to crosstrain. Is running 4 days a week enough? I am going to run 4 miles this morning with some lying leg work. I did PUB last night at around 9pm. I love that workout!

Laurie, How long is your longest run for training for the 1/2 marathon? On Runners world that say your longest should be about 15. Is that what you did? That seems too long. Thanks for the nice words about my 10k.

Barb, it sounds like you have been INCREDIBLE busy. To be honest I hate having that many people in my house at once. I know some love entertaining like that. I just don't have the patience. It is great that you kept up the workouts.

Cathy, Thanks for all the encouragement with my 10k and I have to catch up with rest of you crazy gals. I use dumbells all the time instead of the barbell. For some reason the barbell hurts my wrist a lot. What do you do for a living?

Wendy, Indian food is my FAVE!!!! It pretty much knocks me out the rest of the day, but it is so worth it. I think I will running the half in February in Carmel. It is so pretty there and I want to take my time training.

Carole, running must be genetic in your family:) Does your hubby share your passion for running? Just curious, but have you ever had any injuries from running? I have not heard you mention any. Have a great 16 miler.

Elaine, enjoy your 20 miler. It is so nice when the weather is perfect.

Jess, How fun to do a bike ride. I have not ridden a bike in years.

Colleen, enjoy your rest day and the paper. I love curling up with the paper and green tea on a sunday morning.

Christine, Dancing half the night? What have you been up to? Whatever it is, sounds fun!!! I keep hearing the mention of GTG. Is this a whole cheetah event or a California event?

Adri, enjoy your weight session. I LOVE going to the mall. Just hearing you mention it makes me want to tear out of the house now go.
I don't always buy stuff, I just like being there. You would think being 38 I would be over that, but nope!

Hello to all the other cheetahs and have a great day!!!

Susan

Good Afternoon Cheetahs :)

Today, I tried to take it easy. I did a segment of SM, the Core segment for Cardio Stack Core Attack and some cardio with Classic Cardio Revisited.

Laurie~Good luck on your 20K.

Barbara~ Have a great run, you handled your Mom & MIL like a pro--good for you!

Wendy~ Enjoy your lunch and your WO.

Carol~ Have fun with your niece and your 16 mile run. One day, I'll cover that distance:)

Cathy~ Have a great WO. I don't own barbells, so I do substitute dumbells or one of my body bars.

Elaine~ Enjoy your 20 mile run. (Another distance that I will one day cover;-) )

Jess~ Enjoy your 12 mile run.

Colleen~ Hello, and feel better.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend everyone,

Katrina:)

Wendy-- Indian food sounds good. Thank you for the good wishes for R& R. I am enjoying just doing regular daily tasks. how was upper body? Did you do Jari Love or Cathe? :)

Carole -- Hi Super Carole!! Thanks for the support about standing up to my relatives. I'm glad your own family is a source of support for you and I thought of you when my MIL started pulling her peacock dance with me, and thought in my head, if Carole can run mega miles, I can talk for 2 minutes to my loudmouth MIL and manage not to kill her.....
Hope the 16 miles went well. I'm glad John seems to be doing better overall! :)

Cathy-- I sometimes switch dumbells and barbells, depending on the exercise. I like to use a barbell for chest press -- even though cathe uses dumbells a lot, because it's easier on my shoulders/rotator cuffs. :) Cathy -- the 5 parties was that it was a weekend's worth of entertaining the same out of town guests, giving them every meal for when they were here and the larger party including all of our local friends (which was fun and I'm happy about). The hassle factor for me was following family tradition on DH's side and having his posse entertained from Fr. night through Sun a.m.....Thurs nite was an extra "casual" dinner with family who arrived early....

Elaine-- I extend my hand in understanding to your situation with your mother. :) This personality type (..e.g as you put it, the fat, ungracious, Martyr's a$$) is unfortunate. If my mother could have nailed herself to a nicely decorated post in our front yard to moan about how she doesn't get enough gratitude, she would have done it. It was interesting for my brother to get a bite taken out of him -- usually he is immune, but I think because I did a more thorough job of standing up for myself, she went after him. Lifetime home Movie, here we come. And I relate to being able to see the full picture of the family jungle once I started acting in my own defense. I hope your 20 mile run went great. I ran 10 miles today and started to sag at miles 7-8 and thought of you pushing on to 20 and it helped me get a grip .

Jess- sounds like a fun bike ride. You are going to do great on your marathon. It's around the corner! :)

Colleen-- you are doing great. Keep working at things day by day and it all adds up. It's a challenge everyday to stick to any kind of goal. Good job!! We all inspire each other. :)

Christine -- thank you for the nice words. My DS is feeling good and big mama is feeling happy that in the big picture, this event for him, was a winner. A great experience. Worth doing -- but a boat load of work for the whole family (and we did everything very low-end, very, very low-end, but still a lot of work..)
I love Bocce Ball as does my neighbor who has a huge yard we can play it in! Fun night for you last night!! :)

Adri-sounds good to give cardio a rest for the day and do some weight work. Glad your week at school went well and you are feeling good. School is important, even if you hate it. Lots of things to learn at school about life and people, even the ones who are unlikable or make you feel bad. :)
It's part of the journey....;-) ....I really like Deepok Chopra who talks about how what we don't like in others tends to be something we are unable to master within ourselves, so for instance, with my Mother In Law-- she's a bad listener, it bugs the crap out of me and I feel like taping her mouth closed with a colorful duct tape-- but when I think about it Deepok Chopra's way, instead of getting upset or disgusted or going to the hardware store, I can think : "How can I master in myself being a better listener" and then I try to work towards having mastery over what I am hating in her. So if someone at school bugs you, try to identify the thing that's bugging you and then become a person who is not guilty of doing that to others!!

Ok -- that's it for now. I did my 10 mile run, but before I ran I did legs from SJP and a few floor work exercises from L&G which put me in the right mindset and stretched my 43-year-old Cheetah bod out a bit....

Have a great Sunday!!
Barb

:)

I'm sneaking in a check-in here. I'm at my friend Ruth's and we're heading out for lunch in a bit. We went for it and did the whole 21.1 K. I know the route like the back of my hand, it's how we get to the beach and we did that at least half dozen times this summer. Challenging run this morning but I'm basking in the agony and extacy right now. It was a memorable morning and I'm glad it's over. Now to taper down and be ready for the big day Oct. 1st.

Wendy, I'll keep up the running for sure but have no immediate plans to sign up for anything.....yet;-) }( :D

Susan, it's amazing how many different ways there are to train for the same events. Today was to be our longest run before our half (20K) but our trainers said what the heck, lets DO THIS!! Being that I'm the decision maker in all facets of my personal and business life, it's been nice to be told what to do:+

I'd better get ready for lunch,....I've worked up a huge appetite}( :9 Bring on the pasta bowl:9 :9

Thanks for all of your support EVERYONE!! You all are the bestest!!

Take Care
Laurie

Hi Susan,
We were posting at the same time. Thanks for your support. I am like you: I do not like entertaining for a big group at my house. I like having friends over for fun, but this was an endurance event for me -- like a half marathon!

I only ran 4 days a week to train for a half, but I cross-trained on the other days and worked my legs (standing) at least 2x a week and did floor work 2x week...
I am sure you can run a half -- you did great on your race!!

My longest run for the half was 11 miles -- but I read what you read about the long run being 15. I was not doing my half for a specific time -- but I am happy with how I did -- but since it was my first, I trained with the goal in mind to finish at no slower than a certain pace, which fit what my mental goal was for that time, too!

It took some work to rearrange the family schedule to make time for the long runs -- I think you have kids, too??
-Barb
:) :)

Ditto Katrina-- I was posting near the same time as you.
Thanks for you rnice words. It's good to take easy days and let the body recover. I like Stretch Max segment 1!

Have a great rest of the day!
-Barb

I wanted to quickly report that my 20 mile run was FANTASTIC!! The best one yet! Can anyone say TAPER!!!!!

I got out just as the sun was coming up and it was already warm with no cloud cover. But the Santa Ana's were blowing so that meant dry heat which I just love to run in. So the weather was as close to what I'll be facing in St. George as it could ever get here. I switched from Accelgels to Cliff Shot Blocks and they seem to do the trick for now. That's what I'll use for the marathon.

It sounds like you are all doing great. I need to go back and read all of the posts since I was here last. I'm hoping to see that Laurie's 20K went great too. Talk to you all later!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.