::: CHEETAHS ::: Sun., 9/10

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Good morning, cheetahs ~

It's early rise and shine here on the East Coast...Am going to relax for a few, then head out there and get my 4 miles in. I think I'm gonna have to skip yoga class later this morning - only bc I have so much work to do for school (both of 'em). Gonna more and less be chained to the desk today. Maybe if I wind up getting done early, I'll pop in that new Yoga Shakti DVD.

OK, I'll be back to report in & take a mental break.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Cathy :)

PS...Adri, I will send that out either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hey Cathy and all who follow!

Well, I was certainly out waaaaaaayyyyy too late last night and I am certainly veeeeerrrrryyyyy tired this morning BUT I'm out of bed and still intend to meet my friend at the park for our run at 8:30! I must be CRAZY! LOL }(

Cathy: I'm glad the written word guilted you into workin' out yesterday too!;)

Hey Ladies:) I'm heading out in an hour for 18K. I could run with the group but I honestly prefer to do it on my own on a route mapped by me and for me, how's that for an independent unit!!!:7 I don't usually eat more than a banana before I run but I had that and a bagel this morning to give me more fuel. Should be a nice run the weather looks good, music's all queued up and I've got slammin' new duds to run in:p Three weeks from today we run the 1/2!!! WOO-HOO!!

Cathy, enjoy your run Girl, d@mn that desk chain hey? It annoys me how work soooo gets in the way of my fitness plans:+ Hope you get your yoga in, sitting at a desk is brutal on the body.

Wendy, glad you got to go out and blow off some steam last night, sounded like you needed it. And yes....you are CRAZY, but isn't that a pre-requisite to being a Cheetah ;-) :7 Have a great run!

I'll definitely be checking in after my run!

Happy Sunday all of you fab Cheetahs!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I got my 3 pages of data programmed in my Garmin so I can see lots of stuff. Mainly my HR, dist and pace...:)...have a good run today and enjoy Yoga if you get to it...

Wendy....wow!! God job doing LL yesterday even when you thought you missed your chance...:)...Enjoy your run this morning with your friend..nah you aren't crazy I'll be running about 6:20 hoping I can see...:)

Laurie....thanks, I am sure John was quite happy!! Well you know, the Garmin will be waiting whenever you are ready...:)..I am so happy for Andy...:D
I think having the bagle is good before this run. And those new duds should help you run well!!

Adri...no BC but I did HSC with one Imax2 interval subbed for the HSC cardio...it was quite fun...:)

Katrina...congrats on the Polar!! No, I don't think the Garmin would track your distance on a treadmill...but I don't know for sure. I am having way too much fun with mine...:)..Good job on the 6 miles yesterday.

Christine...that does sound like a tough 5 miler! Have fun tackling the boxes...

Judy...thanks, I am glad my nephew got out for lunch too...165 average HR on the Elliptical!! WOW!!! Hope you had a great date with your DH.

Laura...speedwork will make you faster. And doing hill repeats will make you strong on hills. I think you are doing great.

I am doing 14-15 miles today and then of course....
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/sae/football5.gif[/img]

Have a great sunday...:)

Hi Wendy, Laurie, and Carole~

A quiet Sunday so far...I'm just checkin' back in to say that I ran 4.84 miles today - great run, felt REALLY strong. I'm just thrilled that the aches & pains are in check. Must be doing something right!

I wonder...has anyone created a rotation for runners? I have been intrigued by this idea of trying a 1-month rotation -- I prefer to be spontaneous w/ my workouts usually, but I really wanna bust this plateau I'm in. Looking at some of the posted rotations, though, it seems that most of them use a wide variety DVDs. I'm slowly acquiring more of them, but I'm wondering how running, weights, and circuits should fit in together for some serious fat blasting. Any suggestions or sample rotations would be most appreciated!

Carole ~ how big is your 305? Just wondering. Enjoy your run as well and football.

Wendy ~ hope you managed a decent run! I'm interpreting your post to say last night left you to' up from the flo' up. *lol* I give you serious credit for pushing yourself out there, anyway!

Laurie ~ hope you enjoyed your solo 18K in the new gear! It is beautiful here, too - sunny but not too warm just yet, light breeze. Perfect running weather. I'm like you - I prefer to run solo.

Hi to everyone else who drops in today. I am going to get cleaned up, run to Target for a return, and spin over to Loft to hopefully find a new pair of pants or two for work. I am having issues with clothes not fitting (they're getting too big--which is GREAT)...however, it puts me in a quandary bc I still have weight to lose and don't want to have to "pyramid" down into a whole new warddrobe. Then it's work, work, work for me, but hey, maybe I can bring the laptop outside & enjoy this weather. Naturally, I'll be sneaking back over here to get my cathe/cheetah fix. :)

-Cathy

Hi Cheetahs!

The run went well yesterday, woohoo!! I did get winded a few times, but then again, the course was very hilly, so I gave myself permission to walk those hills.

Plus, our training calendar said 4-5 miles, but we ended up doing 6 because the coaches hadn't marked anything for anything less than 6. I soldiered on, though, and felt good afterwards.

There is one thing that I definitely wanted to get some thoughts from you ladies on... One of the biggest challenges I've had in marathon training has been dealing with my very small bladder. Inevitably, anytime I run 8+ miles, I have to stop at least once (sometimes twice) to go to the bathroom. Both half-marathons I've done, I've had to go twice to the bathroom--and both times, those stops cost me dearly in time. I think they added 30-40 minutes to my time, because of all the time I spent waiting in line to use the porta-potty!!

While I don't have a time goal this time around, I would like to shave my time by 30-40 minutes, the time it takes to stand in line to go to the bathroom. I know there are plenty of runners who can make it through a half-marathon and never have to go--they're probably way faster than I am, but still, there must be some strategy, even for slower runners like me.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks in this area? A fellow TnTer once told me that she, too, normally has a small bladder and goes to the bathroom all the time, but that during training, she was able to go on long mileage without going to the bathroom--and she thinks it's because of her electrolyte drink. I ended up switching to a different brand of electrolyte drink this year and did see some improvement (I was able to make it through an 8 mile run without having to go), but still, when I did my 10-miler, I had to take a break.

Anyone know of any other strategies?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hey ladies.

I'm back! On 4 hours of sleep I managed to beat my time on that course by 1.08 minutes! I couldn't believe it! I was wondering how the heck I was going to finish it at all and I beat my time. WOW! I'm a happy camper!:+

I am going to peruse the forum for a few and then I need a serious nap! LOL

TTYL! Have a good day!

Good Morning Sekcy Cheetahs!!!
Today at the gym is legs and abs. No cardio today but my I'm ganna run again tomorrow. I just wanted to tell you guys that since my cam is broken I'm ganna try and borrow my aunts and try to get some pics of me into my picture trail. Just to let you guys know. If I do get them, it will probally be by next week! Ok some personals:7

Cathy- Enjoy your run today cheetah!!! Also, thanks for letting me know! Can't wait to get it:) I don't mean to sound greedy or anything (please don't take it htat way) but is it possible for you to send me the Boot Camp one? I was just wondering. If you can't I totally understand. Thanks soo much girl;-)

Wendy- LOL! Wendy, girl, you are FARE from crazy:p You are sooo dedicated to your runs that you don't care how late you went to bed or nuttin. You still get right up (have coffee:+) and get to your run. Keep it up girl;-)

Laurie- I'm sorta like you too. Sometimes I like running w/ ppl but really I like to run my own route and stuff. Well, enjoy your 18k your CRAZY cheetah}:)D

Carol- LOL Carol!! Love the football smiley. Cute:) I love HSC. Its a great W/O I'm thinking of doing some of IMAX 2 tomorrow. I LOVE that W/O}( Hope you haev a great run today your (CRAZY) cheetah}:)D

Jennifer- I give you permission too girl;-) Do you go to the bathroom before your run? And I know you need to drink plenty of water for a run but do you sip your water at different times or do you gulp it down? I've heard its way better to just take a few sips of your water at different times and to not "gulp" becuase that can lead to cramps and have to go potty:p Just an idea;-) HTH!

Hi to Judy, Katrina, Christine, and any other cheetah I may have missed or who hasn't checked in yet. Have a great day!

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Posted same time as Wendy.

YAYAYAY Wendy had a great run!!! I new you would girl. A hard woking cheetah like you runs w/ on 4 hours of sleep}(}(}( Your such a cheetah;-) Great job!!

-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Good morning! Yesterday I went out for an 8 mile run and at around 4 miles my knee started to hurt. Now is not the time to be dealing with injuries and it felt like something that could turn serious if I didn't take care of it properly. So, I finished up the next 4 miles on my elliptical then stretched real good. I had a 13 mile run scheduled for today but since my DH does his long runs on Monday I'm going to get on my elliptical instead then do my long run with DH tomorrow. That way I'll give my knee (which feels OK at the moment) another day of rest and I'll be able to run DH for a change. Geez, say a little prayer for me please!! I just *cannot* have injury problems at this point!!!

Can't remember who was asking about whether the Garmin would track your distance on a treadmill. GPS is an acronym for global positioning system and since it tracks your position on the planet then, no, it will not tell you how far you have gone on a treadmill since you're running in place.

Carole, Do you run your long runs alone? Sounds like John is improving in spirit at least. Have they said what the prognosis is as far as recovering the use of his legs? At what level is he affected by the paralysis?

Shelly, I haven't seen you in a few days. How have you been? I read this news story the other day that, for some reason, made me think of you!!! It was about an emergency room nurse who was in her 50s. She returned home from work and found a man with a hammer in her house. She ended up strangling him to death!!:eek: I think I thought of you because you are a nurse in your 50s and are incredibly strong!!

Jennifer, Maybe you are drinking too much during your races? I always finish runs and races a bit dehydrated. Just a thought.. I'm sorry but there are so many cheetahs to keep track of and I missed where you posted about what event you are training for. What, when and where is it?

Cathy, So, is this working on the weekend thing because school just started and you have some catching up to do or is it a normal part of a teacher's life? When you listed those VHS tapes I almost bit and requested a couple simply because I like getting free stuff! I have so many yoga DVDs that I still have not used so I resisted the temptation! It was sweet of you to offer them to us.

Laurie, I did not realize that your 1/2 is so close! I hope your 18K went fantastic. What are you eating during your run? Did you ever try the Clif Shot Blocks? I picked up a few packs yesterday so I can try them tomorrow when I run 13 miles. I'm finding it harder and harder to eat the gels, especially when I'm at my 15th mile and it's time to eat a third one. I think having something to chew rather than having a sticky gel to gag on (not really but I feel like it) will help.

Wendy, Great job on your run this morning!!! When you get Joey out in the jogging stroller it will be harder to run while pushing it since you will have the weight of the stroller and Joey to deal with plus you'll have to find your comfort zone. You'll get used to it though and I bet he'll love it.

Adri, Have fun at the gym! You sure are a good role model for girls your age!

Hi to everyone else dropping in today!

Hi Elaine- I'm here...just been a tad busy lately. Life can get that way sometimes! I got a kick out of your story about the ER nurse strangling the intruder! Hey, don't sweat it about the knee pain. It's pretty normal to "freak out" when we feel twinges of pain and it's getting close to an important race. What's most important is that you feel fine today. I'm sure it's not something serious but your playing it smart anyway (like always) so you'll be fine! I love the Clif Shot blocks BTW, they work much better for me then the gels.

I decided to not compete in the HM I was planning yesterday. It was raining and I was quite tired.....not worth it! Today will be a good long weight session, I'm thinking the long 2 set PP and some time on the elliptical. I have to work tonight so I usually don't run on these days. It takes too much energy out of me!

Jennifer- I agree with Elaine that your fluid intake may be an issue.
A good test is to way yourself before and after. It is normal to lose a pound or two after a strenuous longer run. If you stay the same or actually gain, try cutting back a little with just sips.

Hi Carole- having great fun with your Garmin I see! Good work Cathy!!!! Hi to Adri also! I gotta get busy now I'll check back in later when I have time for personals!

ShellyC

PS-- forgot Wendy! (how could I?) Having fun with your new jogging stroller? Congratulations on your run today!

Elaine- Great job on your run yesturday!! I don't think I'm musch of a role model. I don't exercise to look good or anything, I do it cuz it makes me happy. I love looking muscular to myself adn I don't care if my friends or anyone says anything, its just what I LOVE to do:) But thanks for your nice words. That was sooo nice of you:D

ShellyC- Glad you made a good decision. Hope you have a killer time weight training}(}:)+ Have fun!

take care
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Good morning Ladies!!!!

I am feeling pretty rested today and I am going to attempt to run 10 MILES today!!! I am probably crazy for trying, but I am going for it. The longest I have run in 8.5

Cathy, great run! It is so nice when it feels good.

Wendy, CONGRATS on beating your time, especially with so little sleep.

Laurie, enjoy your run and your new duds!

Carole,enjoy your 15 miles and your football day.

Jennifer, 6 miles is great and I have no advice on the small bladder. I have the same problem and it drives me crazy. I will curious to see if any of the cheetahs have a solution.

Adri, I am looking forward to seeing your picture trail. It is nice to put a face with all the names and personalities.

Elaine, I am sorry your knees hurt this morning. I hate when that happens. It is good that you shortened your run. When it your run again? Mine is a week from today, IKES!!!!!

Shelly, enjoy your weight session. How many races to you compete in a year?

Hello to everyone that follows and have a GREAT sunday and I will check back in later and let ya know if I made it to 10 miles.

Susan

I'm baaack:) 18K done!!! Very good run today, perfect temps, no serious aches or pains during so I'm feeling very good about the half. I love my new shorts, they have a spandex short insert and were very comfy. I didn't make it to the running/nutrition store yesterday so I filled one of my little bottles with citrus juice. It worked fine and my energy was good throughout. I'm very happy to have TTOM now so it absolutely won't be an issue for the event:)

Carole, enjoy your football time, your perfect recovery from a nice long run:)

Cathy, sounds like a busy day for you today. Good luck shopping. Congrats on your continued weight loss! Good on ya!! You were so right about my new clothes making me run better:+

Jennifer, funny you should mention the bladder. I have come to know that I have a 16K bladder capacity:p My last 2 18K runs I have looped around my neighbourhood (a bit over 2K) then home for a very quick toilet break and then I'm good for the rest of the run. I'm still figuring things out myself and am anxious to hear what our seasoned Cheetahs have to say about it.

Wendy, nice job Girl!

Adri, have fun at the gym!

Elaine, I said the prayer for you and will keep you in my thoughts:) I think it's very sweet that you run with your hubby:) I haven't seen the Clif Blok Shots at the Running Room but will look at some other nutrition stores this week. I keep forgetting to look mid week and then Saturday night I think 'Darn, forgot again!' I'm running out of time to tinker with things but am very happy with how I felt the past 2 weeks with a carb bar and orange juice.

Shelly, nice to see you here busy Cheetah, have fun with PP, I love the premixes on that one!

Gotta finish mowing the lawn and tidying things up outside. I think we'll have a fire and get rid of some of the scrub and branches that we've accumulated into a pile over the summer.:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

ETA~~ You GO SUSAN!!! Have a great run, I always get a bit nervous heading out for a new distance but ooohhhhh..what a feeling of accomplishment when we finish it! Can't wait to hear how it goes!:)

Cathy..so glad the run went well and the aches and pains are less!! I think my 305 is the same size as your Garmin....no, I will not get into a "mine is bigger than yours" argument...:) I have only done P90X rotations and used running as my cardio. So in saying that try any of Cathe's monthly rotations and just do running for any cardio...that is a nice feeling when your clothes get too big...:)

Jennifer...sounds like a good 6 mile run. As far as your bladder problem how much water do you drink before you run? I usually only drink coffee which has a diuretic effect so my bladder is fine thru most long runs. I use Accelerade for my Sports drink..

Wendy...good job!!! I hope you get in a nap...:)

Adri...does it bother your parents if you share pictures? My DH about freaked when he knew I did....but he does like my avatar...Have fun with legs and abs...:)

Elaine...on my long runs I usually run with my sister and another friend of ours. I normally run longer than they do so sometimes we split it up so I don't run by myself. No prognosis yet on John but he does have a realease date of Oct 5!!!!! Take it easy with the knee....but don't worry it always seems I got some sore of tweak close to my taper...:)

Shelly...we have missed you....enjoy your workout today...:)

Susan...let us know how the 10 goes....I think you will be fine...:)

Laurie...I am happy your run went so well...:)

I ran 15 miles and it felt great. I didn't even walk much the last 3 miles so I know my endurance is getting better....:)..now off to watch KC...:)

Laurie: Great job on your 18k! Lucky you to get TTOM now so that you won't have to deal for your half! Wow, it's coming up fast! I'm so very excited for you and in awe of you! I would NEVER have the gumption to do what you are doing. YOU GO GIRL! :+

Carole: Glad to see that you are getting back to the "old" you. I noticed you hadn't been yourself with your runs after you had a tough time in that last race. I'm happy you are regaining your endurance and speed. :) I saw in your post that Jon is to be released from rehab in October? What happens after that? How is he doing anyway?

Susan: I can't wait to hear about your 10 miler! I'm sure you did great!:) I still have to get out there and attempt a 5-miler. I have yet to do that distance outdoors...

ShellyC: Sorry to hear that you didn't run in the HM yesterday. Looking for a new one yet? }(

Elaine: I am petrified to take Joey out in the jogging stroller b/c I am afraid of how far back it will set me in my mileage/pace. I guess I just have to look at it as a new challenge and I won't run with him all of the time so it's not like I truly will be starting all over. I hope that knee issue clears up for you FAST! Keep us posted on that!

Adri: You posted that you exercise b/c it makes you happy/feel good, not so much b/c it makes you look good. I know where you are coming from. I started out wanting to lose weight, etc but now that I am happy with how I look I get my drive to exercise from how it makes me feel. It's such a great feeling mentally to push yourself towards new goals, etc!

Jennifer: The course I ran today was hilly as well and we also walked the steep ones. I couldn't even phathom running up a steep hill. I can do it on the TM but outside it just doesn't happen for me. :-(

Cathy: So did you make it outisde with your laptop today? We have a laptop that has been in the closet for about a year now. YIKES! It has a virus and we just never got it fixed. Gotta do that too cause it was only a few months old when it went down. x(

Christine: So how are you and those boxes getting along today? :p

Biker Cheetah checking in!! Erin, Melissa, & I biked 18 miles this morning. It was a bit chilly & windy, but still a good ride! My legs still felt great after my 12 miler y'day, YEAH!! TWO weeks til the big marathon, I seriously can't believe it!!! I'm trying not to freak out w/ this whole taper thing. My longest mid-week mileage this week is only 6 miles!! :eek: And then only 8 this weekend!

I'm going to do some Pilates & stretch this afternoon. I thought about taking a nap, but I slept well last night & feel pretty good.

We had a nice time w/ the IL's y'day. The girls were happy they came to visit & we grilled out & had a nice supper. :9 \

Greg's brother is here again for the afternoon, he's been coming to church w/ us, coming here to eat (of course!) & then hanging out for the day. It's nice to have him around though, he's going to college nearby (he's 11 yrs younger than Greg) & the girls just love him. (he's like a mini-Greg, scary! ;-) ) Greg's doing well today, no pain to speak of & seems almost back to normal! YEAH!

OK, sorry no time for personals right now. WTG on all of the great runs/ workouts & have a great rest of your Sunday!

Hugs,

Hello again cheetahs- I had a great weight workout today and an even better hour longelliptical challenge. Feeling pumped now!
I've been in quite a funk lately, part of the reason I declined the HM yesterday. I guess we all get that way sometimes!

Wendy- Don't be afraid to use the jogging stroller! Just don't set a goal before you use it. Don't say (for example) I'm going to go 3 miles...just go out for fun, jog when you feel like it, walk when you feel like it, until you get used to it and what you can handle. It should really help you develop stronger leg muscles for those @#$%*&^!! hills!

Susan- Best of luck today with your 10 miler. I think I can predict it will go very well. I think I've said it before but I believe you have an amazing running future ahead. Just be sure you don't increase your weakly mileage by more than 10% at a time. So far this year I have done 7 races, all the way from 5k to HMs and I have 2 more on tap before the year ends. I had only raced the weekend prior to this so it really was too much for me to attempt it again.
At least for this old lady cheetah!

Laurie- WTG on the 18k today! Your another one I predict will develop into an awesome medal winning runner! Dont sweat it about finding the right sports drink. If citrus drinks are working for you now, stay with it...ya know, don't fix it if it aint broke!

Carole! Your in football heavan now I guess!! Fantastic job with your 15 miler. I guess all your leg work is paying off. I think the crosstraining with the elliptical may also be a factor.

Hi Adri- thanks for the well wishes and I hope your run goes well for you. Have a great week at school, don't fret over the math too much!

ShellyC

Wendy ~ GREAT run! Yes, I am outside with the laptop now…taking a break from one of the lectures (my classes are online) and trying to fight off the skeeters.

Adri ~ I don’t have a boot camp tape up for grabs…just a couple of kickboxing and the 4 yoga tapes.

Elaine ~ fingers are crossed that the knee issue goes away. Rest sounds good. Weekend work is a normal part of a teacher’s life, I’d say. Add in grad classes to the mix, and I’ve got a full load.

Susan ~ how did your 10-miler go?

Laurie ~ glad you had such a good run. The pants shopping was NOT fun. I was shocked to see that Ann Taylor Loft (which is where I buy most of my work clothes and the ONLY place I find pants) is carrying very little besides wide-leg pants. And NO dark brown (which is what I’d hoped to find) and very little beige even. I don’t get it. Plus, their pants are seriously a lot longer than they used to be. Great for the tall folks, but I wound up having to buy a pair in petites. I’m 5’5” so I can get away with it sometimes.

Carole ~ oh, I was definitely not trying to get into a “mine is bigger than yours” re: the Garmin! :) First of all, I know you have the premium model – and someday I’ll probably upgrade. Which is why I asked – was just wondering if they down-sized it some. I find the 201 a little bulky. Thanks for responding to my question about the rotations. I will have to sift through them and see what I can find. Glad you had a strong run today.

Hi to Shelly, Jennifer, Jess, and anyone else who pops in.

Hi. I keep posting in the wrong spot. I have trouble finding the right day on my little lap top computer and I posted an earlier hello somewhere in cyber space this morning.
Anyway. Way to go Laurie. 18k!
I just ran my first 3k today. My DH told me I did 32m .. something.
I was proud of my self. I started running from scratch at the end of last April and I'm 53. :)
Afterwards, I came home and did Core Max and Stretch Max.
Bye for now.
Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.