::: CHEETAHS ::: Happy Friday, 9/29

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Happy Friday, cheetahs!!! :) (Although I woke up thinking it was Saturday...:-( )

I am planning on just a run after school today. Now to get caught up from yesterday...

Wendy ::: Thanks for the hoorahs! I know what you mean about running on the street…I felt a little self-conscious at first, but as you said, you get over it and pay attention to just being safe, not who’s staring at you. I have had some interesting things happen over the years…I’m sure most of us have some funny/bizarre stories…Other than going splat in front of a huge line of traffic, I’ve: been chased by a Doberman (who, when he quickly “caught” me, decided to keep my hand clamped in his mouth until the owner rescued me), been grabbed at by a mini-van full of guys on their way to watch Sunday football, had a pen thrown at my back by a car of teenagers, had various things shouted…and so on.

I know we once talked about wildlife encounters we’ve had while out running…any other interesting stories to share, cheetahs?

Jess ::: I haven’t had a chance to get to the DVD/Rotations forum…If it’s a rotation question, I might be at a loss ‘cause I’ve needed help with that, too, but I will check it out when I get a chance. Thoughts are with grandmom and your family.

Laurie ::: I hope you’re feeling better today!

Carole ::: I did see Tuesday night’s episode…I knew they were going to rip on Mario and Joey for that…Mario is good but seems like he wants to showboat too much. The judges made it clear they want traditional, so give it to them!

Linda ::: hope your migraine cleared & you were able to run w/ your sister. I recommended this to Jess recently…In addition to whatever meds you take for your migraine, try chugging some Gatorade as soon as the symptoms strike. It won’t rid you of the migraine, but it really does alleviate the pain some and speeds recovery time. I swear by it! Now that school is back in session, I’m finding myself running during the brunt of rush hour…I prefer when the roads are quieter, but not much choice there. I’d still rather be out there than on a TM, where I don’t seem to have much stamina. It’s mental, I suppose. But I just like to be outside.

Christine ::: I did pick up some zinc yesterday and am trying that. Gonna stick to the Airborne + vitamins + zinc for a few more days, but I am feeling good. I don’t think I’m gonna succumb to the cold after all. Amen! Cracked up about killing the spider with a front kick. YEAH!! Happy healing on the finger! Glad your interview went well.

Sunny D ::: I don’t use the iTrains to run outdoors…I’m curious about them, too.

Susan ::: Feeling any better today? Hope so! It’s amazing what a workout can do, isn’t it? I know what you mean about dark mornings…hate driving to work like that!

Hi to Barb, Adri, Judy, Elaine, Laura, Katie, Karen, Natalie, Colleen, Katrina, Shelly, and anyone else dropping by. Our numbers keep growing and I'm having a harder and harder time remembering all the names! Sorry if I left anyone out.

Have a GREAT Friday, everyone! Will check back in later if I get a chance.

-cathy :)

Cathy...and you STILL run!?!? Holy cr@p I'd have been scared right out of it! The doberman story was enough but then when I read the football game story...YIKES! Did they mean harm or were they foolin' around? Did you know them? That would have been it for me, boy! As far as dogs go, I am naturally very fearful of strange dogs to begin with. I have never been bitten but I live in fear of it every time I see a strange dog off a leash...even if the owner is with it. You are one brave gal!

Okay, so I am supposed to go running my friend in the park tonight around 5pm. In order to better prepare for this 5 mile race we think we are gonna do, we are going to aim for 4 miles tonight. I know I can do it (so long as it's a flat route), but she may have trouble. Should I go ahead if she has to walk a bit and I don't or would walking help me as well even if I don't NEED it?
I will also be doing shoulders and back to even out the bod after yesterday's class.

Good Morning:) Wow this is weird, 2 days rest from running! I'll do PUB before work. I run a short 3K tomorrow then it's RACE DAY!!!! I was booked solid at work this week and kind of wish I had of blocked off some appointments as I'm feeling a bit haggard. I'm so excited to get my race kit, fun stuff!!

Cathy, boy you've really had some running adventures! I got chased by a little wee dog last week, didn't really scare me so much as surprise me. This week some boys sitting at the back of a school bus had something to say about me as I waited to cross, I gave them a big smile and a thumbs up, 1 of them gave me the finger so I figure he must think I'm #1 runner:+ :+ Good thing I've never cared what other's think about what I'm doing:)

Wendy, have fun running with your friend. I only know what I've learned from my training but I think when your running a new distance to work your way up to an even longer distance that walking could be helpful to assist your body in adapting to longer runs. Pushing the wall as they say. I'm interested in what other's think as there are so many different ways to train for longer distances.

Gotta pack those darned lunches! TGIF!

Take Care
Laurie:)

G'morning Cheetahs!!! TGIF!! Chilly morning here, it's definitely feeling more & more like fall!!

I ended up w/ a migraine y'day. I just felt yucky all afternoon & took a little nap. I got a lot of CleanMax done in the morning, so at least I felt productive!!

We had a great night last night. We worked more in the backyard cleaning up the huge tree that fell last Fri. The kids thought it was great picking up sticks & then we had a bonfire. Greg roasted marshmallows for S'mores (which I resisted!!) so they kids were happy! :)

I think I'll do PUB today, I'm dying to do some upper body weights, I'm feeling so weak after no weights for a couple weeks!! I thought about taking a bike ride after Allison goes to school, but I think I'll rest my knee another day. I don't want to do anything that will hinder my recovery!! Erin & I are planning to bike tomorrow anyway.

Cathy ~ Yikes you've had some scary stuff while running!! I think the scariest thing that happened to me was when I was running near my Mom's house Thanksgiving morning. I was all bundled up & it was freezing. I was about a mile from my Moms when I see this creepy van drive by (no plates on it that I could see). My alarm bells went off in my head so I sped up a bit & then I heard the van turn around to follow me. I sprinted like I'd never sprinted before (and looking back at my Garmin, I did a sub-6 min mile!!! :eek: ) & ended up running to someone's house, pretending to go inside. He went the other way & I took another busy road home. I've never been so scared in my life!! Other than that, nothing too major other than adventures w/ my crazy dog, Mikey!

Wendy ~ You can definitely do it! I say keep your own pace, if you feel like running the whole thing then do it! Your friend will catch up. ;-)

Laurie ~ You're going to do so great for your half!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Have fun w/ PUB today, I'm planning on that one too!

Christine ~ How's the finger today??? I can't believe it's broken!! I think I have a broken 4th toe, it's been sore for a while & a bit bruised. Oh well, nothing they can do about it anyway!

Have a great Friday!!

Good morning everyone! I didn't get to do my run yesterday :-( The headache hung on. It actually got better in the afternoon, then about 2:30, it came back and stayed.

Cathy - Wow! Thanks for the suggestion of the Gatorade! I will deinitely get me some today and try that from now on!! When it first started coming on, I did wonder if it could possibly be that I was a tad dehydrated or my electrolytes messed up. It will definitely be worth a try! My goodness! I would have a heart attack if a doberman got me! OR with any of the other things that has happened to you! Glad you came out of them okay!!

Wendy - have fun on your 4 mile run! When is your race?

Laurie - Don't ya just love those race kits? When I got my 10k race kit, I was so excited and started pulling out my shirt before I even got to the car. My DH thinks I am nuts!

Jess, Sorry you had a migraine! Mine kept me from my workout yesterday. I truly wish I could have went to bed and turned out all the lights and shut the blinds! So far, this morning, it is better! HOpe yours stays away! When you were preparing for your marathon, did you stay away from the weights? Have fun with PUB!

This morning I did a 4 mile run on the treadmill and did HC GS C&T. It felt good!

Hi everyone else and hope everyone has a good day!

LInda

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...so Harry got the chop? He really was an awful dancer...Have a good run today...I do have some running stories too...

Wendy...way to go with Interval 9!!! You don't have a barbell at home?? My feelings are that walking would help you in a run. So if your friend walks, walk with her. Walks of about a min in duration during a mile have helped me in longer runs when I was just tired. Have fun working those shoulders...

Laurie...2 days rest from running is just what you needed! I can't believe your half is right around the corner!!

Jess...sorry about the migraine...:(..hope you have fun with PUB!

Susan...I go thru phases with S&H and GS. I really think S&H is more effective for definition but you can't do it for more than 3 weeks as it takes so much concentration. The GS's have more of a fun factor but still give you results. Yes, the S&H workouts are longer than the GS ones.

Adri..I hope things go smooth with the move.

Christine...I do hope your finger is on the mend. Hope you get a good offer next week. That is nice DH signed you up at his Gym!!

I have had a few things happen on runs. There used to be this big mean Rottweiler in my neighborhood. I am a dog lover but this one scared me to death. So, here I go on my run with my pepper spray ready. Sure enough he comes running out...I spray....right into the wind!!! I am the one that got sprayed..My reaction must have been enough to scare him off I think. After that I'd pick up a big rock and he'd back off. He is gone now. Then there was a black lab that would chase me, I'd yell and he'd back off. But one day the owner (a CHP) and his wife were out ther when I ran by. The dog chased me and they just stand there...so I yell back "Hey, if you can't control your dog, next time I'll spray it". So the idiot jumps in his truck, chases me down and tells me I can't run on that access road by his property. I of course defended myself and said "I sure can" He preceeded to threaten me, and I proceeded to threaten him back. Luckily he moved, but looking back, I should have filed a report against him with CHP. So really you can come across 2 kinds of animals on these runs!!

Today is a coremax segment and a 5 mile tempo run. I am thinking about a half marathon in Jan. I am going to give my body a break from the longer runs for a few months..

Have a great day...:)

Hi Linda, we posted at the same time! Sorry about the headache yesterday...Good workout today!!!...:)

Hey Cheetahs :) I just got the following promotional e-mail from the Running Room where I trained for Sunday's half. Is this a good deal? (it's in Canadian dollars). I know many of you are loving your Garmins but I wondered if anyone has this particular model and what your thoughts (positive and negative) on it are. TIA.

The New Garmin Forerunner 101 runner’s pack – (includes a Garmin Forerunner 101, and a Nalgene style bottle) suggested retail value $139.99 currently selling for $79.99 has hit the store today.

Big Friday HELLOOOOs to Jess, Linda, Carole and all who follow.:D

Take Care

Hey Carole! I think we posted at the same time yesterday, too! :)

I was laughing at my desk about your running stories! I know, it wasn't funny, I am sure, at the time!!! But I could just picture the pepper spray going the wrong way! That is my luck ;-)

Linda

Cathy, I keep running around the same one mile loop until I make my miles because I know there are not dogs on that loop. I am afraid of dogs in general. What do you go to school for?

Wendy, Have fun running tonight. I still haven't run over 4 miles.

Laurie, Have fun at your race. I bet you will do great!!

Jess, Did you have a storm last week that knocked down the tree? Good job on passing up the marshmallows. I am not sure I would have.

Carole, I tried tempo running yesterday. I don't think I have it down yet. I seemed to be moving the same pace for the whole run.

Linda, Hopefully you feel better today.

I decided to do another race. On October 8, I am going to do another 5K in Sheboygan. My knee feels so much better. I can't believe I said I was going to do the race on this forum, now i can't back out of it. That's what happened on the last race.

Have a great day everyone.

Laurie...its probably a good deal as the Garmin 101 sells for $115. There are 4 later models since that one. So they are a bit more improved with each model and usually smaller!! But IMO that is a good price to try it out and see if you like it. I am not sure of the other models the other cheetahs have. Hopefully they will chime in with their opinions!

Karen...I made a typo...I am actually doing an interval run....sometimes I hate being blonde...:)...I am glad you decided on another 5K!

Hey Lovely Cheetah ladies! TGIF!!

Question – my Half is in a week (Oct 8th – okay so about 10 days away). I’m wondering if it’s okay to get in one final long run, or if I should really start tapering. I was thinking of running 10 miles today, but if that’s not a good idea, let me know.

Cathy – I HATE when I wake up thinking it’s Saturday, when it’s actually Friday. Sorry!! You’ve had some scary things happen to you!! I’ve only ever had whistlers (knock on wood) from the human animal. I have had a German Shepherd bite my ankle while I was cycling, and had a mutt chase me up a steep hill while I was mountain biking – he never caught me, which makes me think he was in it for the thrill of the chase, not the capture… I’ve seen bobcats (they’re BIG) and coyotes (also big- about the size of the German Shepherd!), and javelinas (wild pigs) which in New Mexico have a reputation of stealing bike shorts and wearing them around to look cool (they are really nasty – whenever I see them on a trail, I quietly turn around and go back the way I came). I’ll bet Carole has seem more… Glad to hear you’re taking Zinc- it should help.

Wendy – tough call. I’d say to stick with her as she’s the one you’re running the race with and you know you can run 5 miles. But, it’s very frustrating to be able to run, and have your partner poop out on you.

Laurie – Love your spirit!! And I know what you mean about packing lunches… Grrr… Your Half is this weekend? Sunday? How exciting!

Jess – sorry to hear about your Migraine! Glad to hear you were able to clean and feel productive, though! Oh, ouch about your toe! At least with a finger it’s easier to run – but you’re not have issues what with your marathon and all!! You Iron Woman you!

Linda - I hope you’re feeling better today!! Sounds like you might be with the treadmill run! Glad to hear it!

Carole – oh, in January? A trail run or a street? Of course, you know, you’ve peak my interest… Finger feels fine – weird, but hey… It’s a very minor break.

Karen – welcome to the pack running on October 8th – so far it’s me, Jennifer, Wendy and now you! How exciting! Good luck!

Hi guys. My training is tapering off of course. Yesterday I did my final Muscle Max and elliptical workouts. Today I will run 4 miles, tomorrow will be 8, Monday - 3, Tuesday - 4, Friday - 2 and Saturday (Oct 7) 26.2 miles! I am so ready with the antsiness building more and more each day.

In addition to the stress of my brother's condition, we just found out that my 87 year old FIL will have heart surgery on Oct. 16th. FIL and MIL will be able to come down from where they live to the marathon and DH and I will be so happy to see him then. I found out on Wed that the MDs at Stanford have said that there is nothing more that can be done for my brother. Since the cancer has made it's way to his brain I am afraid that he will be taken off all meds and that he will decline even more quickly. I *need* to go to St. George to see my FIL before his surgery and I am petrified that my brother will die while I am away. He's back from Stanford today so I will be spending a great deal of my time at his house. Therefore, I don't know if I'll get a chance to stop by and say "Hi" until right before I leave for Saint George.

I see that you all are doing well.

Wendy, good luck with your (5 mile?) race this weekend.

Laurie, I'll be thinking of you while you run your 1/2. My advice is do NOT get the Garmin 101. Get the 201. The 101 uses batteries that you have to change, the 201 is rechargable. You can download the 201 data, not so with the 101. I got mine from Amazon.com and it was about $100.

Gotta go now and get my kids ready for school and get those 4 miles behind me!

Thanks Carole, I think it might be a good start point for me. LOL at your running stories with dogs, I cringed when I read that you pepper sprayed yourself. It's funny hearing these stories, I love that you didn't back down from the jerk telling you not to run on that road. I have a bit of a mouth on me (mellowing with age though ;)), glad I'm not the only one}(

Oops I'm late, gotta go...

Take Care

ELAINE!! I KNEW there was someone else who was running on or about that date! SORRY!! How could I forget my Sonoma running buddy!! I'm thinking of you, too! I'm SOOO sorry you're going through all of this right now!! {{{HUGS}}} I'm nearby - if there's anything I can do, let me know. I'll keep your brother and FIL in my prayers!!

Elaine - I am so sorry about your brother and FIL. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Christine, - so far today, I am feeling better :7 I hope it continues! I am going to try Cathy's advice with the Gatorade the next time I feel one coming on!

Take care ladies!

Oh, I thought I'd let y'all know that my new gym has a "trekking" class at 6AM 3 days a week. It's called a "Spin Class on a treadmill", but it's basically an interval class. I'm thinking I'll take it once or twice a week once I go back to work.

Hi Cheetahs -- TGIF ..First frost here last night. I love the crisp weather and sunny skies, too.
I went on a 3 mile run this morning, did Timesaver Legs (one-legged squats, ouch!) and a walk with some buddies (which was so nice!) and tonight the plan is to use the elliptical at the gym. Crazy amount of exercise for me in one day, but tomorrow will be light. I'm thinking of splurging on an iClimb for the elliptical today. Enable me? Which one for starters?

Yesterday I did a 5-mile tempo run, abs and Biceps, Shoulders & Back.

Laurie-- your half is Sunday? Good luck! I know you'll do great. :) Go Laurie! Go Laurie!

Elaine -- onward to St. George Cheetah Champion! You have a double challenge with all the things going on in your family plus the run. I am thinking of you and wishing you, your brother and family well everyday. Now I will include your FIL and hope all goes well.:)

Cathy-- I hope you get to run tnis afternoon. You are doing great sticking with your exercise plans and getting the Cheetahs up early. I haven't been able to check in as regularly as I'd like, but I try to keep up with the posts if I can. :)

Jess- glad you're feeling better after your amazing race. Sorry about the migraine. I get them to and have been able to control them through diet. They are no fun when they hit!:)

Linda--sorry about your headache, too. Migraines are the pits. I have not had good luck with Gatorade--made my headaches worse, but we are all different. I hope that works for you. I try to eat a lot of small meals throughout the day, keep my blood-sugar steady and have found a vegan diet really did the trick for me. I have a list somewhere of migraine food triggers -- and I went through that and eventually narrowed down a few evil things I needed to stay away from..Good job on your run and weights this morning. Great recovery from feeling yucko yesterday.:)

Carole--funny and scary running stories. Are you sure the Rottweiler wasn't my MIL in disguise? I agree with the 2 types of animals on runs. Good luck with CM -- great workout, but I have a lot of dread for it and on your 5-mile interval run. A half marathon sounds like a great idea for you because it will be a change of pace and maybe have more of a fun factor right now.:)

Karen--I have a little dog fear, too. There's a dog on our street that is leashed, but the homeowner makes the leash allow the dog to stretch just past the boundary of the yard so the dog can stand over the curb and sort of lunge at runners or walkers going by. Since the dog is on a leash, I try to think calming things like: "I know it's your yard, and I respect that." then I get the heck on the other side of the street! Good luck on training for your upcoming race. You committed.:)

Christine--I defer to the experts about your long run...if it were me, I'd say no and be in a taper mode, saving up every last bit of energy for the half, but do some kind of run that isn't too easy and isn't too hard. Glad your finger doesn't feel too bad. Which iClimb (s) should I get? I'm not telling DH at this point. :)

Susan- you had a great week of exercise this week. I'm really impressed with your stamina. How was the sushi?:) We have a Japanese friend who made our family sushi one night and it was just a lovely site--not to mention delicious. I love sushi!

Hi to everyone else checking in later today. You Cheetahs are a great bunch!
have a great day!
-Barb

:) :) :)

Hi Cheetahs!

I finally have a chance to check in, and so I am waving hello :). Unfortunately, I can't really do a lot of personal responses today, so if I don't do a shoutout your way, please don't be mad!

I'm back to my "normal" routine of running 3x a week. I ran on Tuesday at our evening track workout, and then yesterday on a treadmill (although I HATE treadmill running and could only last 35 min before I had to switch to an elliptical to combat boredom), and then tomorrow I'll run on a trail. I'm trying my best not to overdo it, though, because the SJ Half is next week and then I've got Nike Half two weeks after that, so I'm worried about my body taking a toll from being pushed to the limit.

I'm already a bit sore this week, from getting back to my GS rotation after a 2 week break (I'd only done week 1 of it before I went to Maui!). My calf muscle has been especially sore--the other morning I woke up with a charley horse, and it's been bothering me ever since. I'll have to start icing it. I took ibuprofen for two days, but now I'd like to stop taking meds and just make sure to ice and massage it. It does feel a little better today, but I think it taught me that I need to take it a little easier. I'll do GS Legs next week without weights--TnT has us eliminating leg weights as we get closer to our events--so hopefully that'll make things better.

Gotta go--have a great day/weekend, everyone!

Jennifer

Barb - I have iClimb 40 minutes 7,8 and 9 and like them all. I don't think you can do wrong, actually. I did iTread 9 yesterday on the elliptical - kept the RPM at the runner's number (if they had to run a 7 minute mile, then I kept the RPM at 70). That was fun, and it's a full 60 minutes, but I like the iClimb's better. (I like Grace's voice, but I love Keith's!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.