::: CHEETAHS ::: happy friday, 6.22

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Good morning, cheetahs, and happy Friday! :) :) :)

Don't ask why I'm up. This is ridiculous. *lol* It's not even 5 am. Oh well, I can nap later.

I have the urge to run but will stick to the plan. Squeeze + the KM drills I missed yesterday. I have a 9 am pedi, so I'll get the workout out of the way early.

Well, I was the last one to post last night, so there are no personals to catch up with.

Hope everyone has a terrific Friday!
Cathy :)

Good Morning Cheetah-Babes!

So what's everyone's weekend plans?

Cathy, You certainly are an early bird! Enjoy your pedicure!:)

I have XFlowsion on tap for today though I'm not sure yet exactly which work out(s) I'll do.

Tonight I have an appointment to get my bikini line waxed. Fun way to spend a fri night, ey? :p

Wendy- Maybe you should have happy hour before your wax app't! }(

Hi Cathy- I need to get more productive earlier, like you. I have been getting up early but doing domestic chores. The workout needs to be done early to stay on track.

Today is a 6 mile run including several 800 repeats with 400 recovery jogs. I will use the TM in stead of going to a track.

The yoga was helpful yesterday. I did not get in any cardio though. The plan was to walk later but later always get pushed back and doesn't happen. DH and I did have a nice dinner out while DS was at practice. it was a nice spontaneous date.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Good morning, ladies. Happy Friday. Anything exciting going on this weekend??? We have baseball play offs, but other than that, it will be a quiet weekend with the kids. DFiance's DS's BDay is today and we're having a small party here on Sunday for him. And that's it. I like quiet weekends.

I decided to sleep in today. I've promised myself that this summer is NOT going to be like every summer since college. Usually, summer days are long, hot, active, etc. And that leads me to get really tired so that I can't get up at my usual 4:30am for my workout, which then means I miss it, which then leads to 2 days missed, then 3, and so on! LOL. But this summer I'm trying to either get to bed earlier or sleep later and get my workout in at a 'normal' time. SO.......today I'm going to be a True Cheetah. When the kids go to the Rec Program at 9, I'm lacing up my running shoes and hitting the pavement. I'm going to run for as long as it feels good. It's been a while since I ran outside, so I'm really looking forward to it.

DOMS report....BBC gets in there good! LOL My lats are sore, which NEVER EVER happens!

OH,.....BBC question for you owners. Do you consider the Total Body workout a weight workout? It only uses your body weight, so I'm not sure if it's okay to do a weight workout the day befroe and/or after Total Body????

OK....gotta get the kids ready. BBL after my run to report my time.

Gayle

Wendy-

I vote for a Corona in the backyard!

Oh, I also wanted to mention that many YMCAs have great swimming programs for toddlers and up. As I recall before age 3 a parent goes in the water with their toddler.

ETA: Hi Gayle!

Judy "Likes2bfit"

Good morning cheetahfriends. This is so weird for me when I log on in the morning I'm used to seeing at least 10 posts. Now I'm up with the fabulous east coast cheetahs! I had a very nice relaxing 4 mile run this morning and now DH and I are packing up to head up north again(sigh). It's been so nice here and we've had the place to ourselves which isn't usually the case. Ah well.... onward. I do have the race with Cathy and Wendy to look forward to.... the day after tomorrow:eek: :7 :7

Cathy- I'm glad to hear you're pampering yourself with a pedicure today. You deserve it! Today I have an appointment for my very first ever massage!! It also has the dual purpose of giving me a reason to opt out of a shopping expedition with DH and his parents;-) Have a great Squeeze day!

Wendy- Are you possibly trying to enable me into a relocation to Jersey?:eek: I got to admit, these fabulous runs I've been having do tempt me, but I also know I'll be happy to get back to Arizona again where I can breathe and relax. That's a good strategy to get to PineBeach by 0815. As I recall the lines for the portapotties get pretty long starting around 0830. But they did have alot of them.
I hope you recover from your waxing before the race!

Jackie- Great job with your "Joey" workout and the 3.5 mile run yesterday! What's on tap for today?

Laurie- wooooboy.... an awesome workout for you yesterday!!! Great job:7 Ab ripperX is a nice challenging routine isn't it. Have a great time with YogaX. I'm not into Yoga at all but this one works for me..... although it is long!

Kristi- You poor cheetah!!! What a time you've been having lately.
I sure hope you and your DD are doing better today!

Christine- Do you travel much to the East Coast? It is a different universe here. You'd never suspect this is the same country! I went to high school and college in California and I admit I have never really felt comfortable living in the East although I have before (I've moved all around the country my whole life) Great spinning workout for you yesterday.... as usual! Have a great time doin the Viper today }( Great workout!

Jess- From what I remember about fifth disease it isn't something
to be much worried about and I'm sure your DD will be back to good health again soon. Up to a workout yourself this morning?

Judy- Good interval run for you today! Running that kind of distance on a TM is challenging. I just saw a news story that Dean Karnazes (the ultramarathon man) was running 150+ miles over 24 hrs on a TM!

Later today I'll be trying out an IStrength. Time to get moving here now. Hi Carole, SunnyD, Gayle and anyone else who checks in! Talk to youze guys later.

ShellyC

Hi Gayle! Anything exciting happening this weekend?!!! It's only the ultrafabulous 5k Cheetah GTG race with me Cathy and Wendy!!!
How could you forget?;-)

I consider the BBC FullBody to be a weight workout myself.... don't let the fact that it doesn't use any "weights" fool ya. I have this with me on vacation because it does provide a great strength workout without any equipment. Have a great run!

ShellyC

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...You are so sweet to pick us up and drop us off Sunday!...I look forward to seeing all of you and once again sorry you won't be in the RT, but I am happy I get to spend some time with you and Wendy...:)..Enjoy your Squeeze workout and a very relaxing pedicure...

Wendy...as I am doing a modified P90X rotation I am subbing Pilates for Yoga as some of the Yoga poses flare up my back pain and Pilates does not...:)...a bikini wax....OWWWWWW......can they put you out to do it?....:)...This weekend will be more painting...

Judy...the spontaneous date sounds nice. Have a nice 6 mile TM run.

Gayle...enjoy your putside run today and you new DOMS!

Shelly...I think its great you will get to meet Cathy & Wendy Sunday...we want pictures!!!

Marcia...way to go on the 5 miles!!

Jackie...it is always nice to see Joey, isn't it...:)..and at least he is not as chatty as Rich.

Laurie...I hope Elizabeth had a great prom. I don't think you are sappy at all...and I would love to see the pics...:)...So, did you like AbRipperX?

Kristi...wow, when it rains it pours! I am so sorry about the yukky flu hitting you. Nothing I hate worse than throwing up. Hope your DH and DS miss it. I hope you can have a nice quiet weekend...:)

Christine...after all that spinning I bet the Viper will be great fun.

Jess...wow, I have never heard of Fifth's disease either? Does it ever go away? And poor Kiersten...:(...I am sending healing vibes your way...

I am doing AMY's APX shoulders, bi's and tri's, and 40 min on my EXT.

Have a great day...:)

Good morning Cheetahs!

Laurie - How did prom night go? Hope the kids had lots of fun. Can't wait to see the pics.

Kristi - So sorry to hear you and family have been sick and you had to miss DS birthday celebration. Sounds like you and DH will be getting a much needed break. Hope everyone is all better.

Christine - Fun workout yesterday. Just love the names of your workouts. How nice that dd is getting into cycling.

Wendy - Hope you enjoyed your visit with your mom. Have fun with the bikini wax. OUCH!! Is this your first?

Jess - ((((HUGS)))) to you. Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Glad you were able to get a workout in to take your mind of things for a bit.

Cathy - It's not a website for the radio station. It's a local station. When I hear a song I like I write it down and download from Napster. I didn't think I would want a lot of oldies but I'm kind of enjoying hearing them. Brings back memories of yester year.:) Enjoy your pedicure!

Judy - Have a good run!

Gayle - Hope you have a fun and long run.

Shelly - Hope you, Wendy and Cathy have a fun Sunday together. Sounds like lots of fun. Good luck to all of you on the race. You will love your massage! Can't wait to hear how much.

Carole - Agree Joey is not as chatty as Rich but think I could stand there and watch him chat.:D Wouldn't mind having him as a PT. Enjoy your workout.

Sunny - How did class go yesterday?

I did Amy's Kickboxing this morning. Now, this workout I can truly say I loved. She keeps your heart rate up for the most part. I wore my weighted gloves. Will probably be even better when I get all of the moves. I didn't check out the bag workout yet.

I leave this afternoon for Nashville. The 5K starts at 7:30 in the morning. Glad to beat the heat. Will try and check in from DD's.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jackie

Good Morning ladies,

very brief check- in for me this morning.

I am so jealous of you gals getting together for the race. I kinda wish i still lived in nj right now, if so i would join you!

jackie- my classes yesterday went well. I have 4 people in the morning class and 6 in the evening. thanks for asking!! they have asked me to pick up two morning classes during the week a treading class. which will be running intervals on the treadmill...now that's my kind of class, lol.

carole- you have me thinking about changing my rotation for next month!!

today's workout was itread (i forget which #) it was 45 mins. very tough workout. keeps your heartrate up the entire run...whew!! i had to keep myself from screaming out loud in the gym, every time grace said "i am right there with you", i wanted to say LIAR...lol

as far as weekend plans i am in training all day tomorrow for the metabolic effect certification and then have to go back for an hr on sunday to teach a class and take a written exam. hopefully all will go well. if anyone is interested you can check out the website at www.metaboliceffect.com.

have a great, great day ladies....

ttyl...:7

Silly me! I thought the Cheetah race was NEXT weekend! HAVE FUN, ladies.

iTread. If I hear one more mention of iTread, I'll just CAVE and buy the year resolution package! LOL. I keep reading the posts on the Open Forum (including yours, Wendy) and I keep going to the site but not checking out. I've also received the $20 off link for the year long package, plus I have a $25 credit over there from a friend of mine. I'm tempted! LOL

OK...run was great. Had it not been for the urge to go potty (as usual), I would have kept going. I got in over an hour (1:02 to be exact). Felt AWESOME! I am going to commit to doing this more often this summer while the kids are in Rec. I ran with a hat for the first time. Sounds silly, doesn't it? But I can't/don't run with sunglasses so I thought a hat might be good to keep the sun off my face. Worked great. Again, silly 'equipment' discussion, I know.

HI EVERYBODY!!!!!! I'm jealous of you ladies getting together this weekend! Take LOTS of pictures.

Gayle

Hey ladies!! Thanks for your concern for Hannah. The worst is actually over once the rash begins. It can take up to a few weeks to go away, but hers is fading so far.... I still feel a bit achy in my knees & feet but otherwise ok. http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html Here's a link about it, I didn't know about it either! I let myself sleep in til 6:30 which I needed this morning. Then I did KenpoX, not my favorite workout but it isn't bad.

We're packing up & heading to my Mom's for a couple days. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but my Great Aunt Meg (she's 94!) fell & broke her pelvis (AGAIN) a couple weeks ago & is in the hospital. She also has a staph infection & some bleeding that they're trying to figure out. I really want to see her, but won't take the girls up there in case they have something contagious (and the staph is contagious too, so don't want to expose them!). And we'll see my Dad, sister, etc. It's always a busy time but the kids love going to Grandma's house.

We ended up going to the pool for a couple hrs last night & relaxing. It was wonderful, I think we all needed to get out of the house!! It didn't seem to bother Hannah's rash, I think the chlorine helped.

OK, must finish packing. Sorry no time for personals lately but want to wish everyone happy racing this weekend!! I'm jealous that Shelly, Cathy, & Wendy get to meet up!! Pics, please???

Hello again, cheetahs :)

Did Full Body Squeeze and then ran out of time to do the KM drills. Had to run out for my pedi appointment.

Wendy :: A pretty low-key weekend for me…tonight I am taking my parentals out to dinner (rescheduled from Father’s Day/mom’s bday)…Saturday – no real agenda (which is a beautiful thing for a change)… and Sunday – cheetah GTG :) :) :) :) :)

Judy :: that does happen to me, too, sometimes when I push something off til later – somehow the day gets away from me. But we recover & regroup pretty well, I'd say...have a great run!

Gayle :: I have only done the BBC Full Body workout once – first impression was lukewarm but honestly, I can’t remember much about it. I think I need to do it again before I weigh in with any opinions…Funny, I prefer glasses – wearing a hat makes me feel hot.

Shelly :: enjoy your massage! I can’t wait to schedule my next one. 150+ miles over 24 hours on a TM??? Holy cow!! That is superhuman. I think my head would explode before my legs gave out... Aaaahhhh! *cringing to hear “youze”* ;) *lol*

Carole :: the pedicure did relax me…I almost dozed at one point during the leg massage part of it. Have a great w/out! I don’t know if I’ll bring a camera just for practical reasons as I would have to leave it in the car. I’m sure I will want to beeline to the BBQ rather than trot back and pick it up. :)

Jackie :: ohhhh! I see. Misunderstood about the station. Have a safe trip to Nashville ~ positive race vibes for a great 5K comin’ atcha. Hope it’s not too hot!

Sunny :: best of luck with the training & written exam this weekend!! You'll do great! And you are racking up the certs like hell, girl!

Jess :: I hope for the best for your aunt.

OK, I think that catches me up for now.
~Cathy :)

Hey Catheite Cheetahs!

Just had a great time with Viper. Did it on an 8” step and wow did that add to the calorie burn! Fun workout, really. But, I have to admit, I have not been doing step for a while, so I was beat by the last set of plie jumps!

Cathe – by the end of summer you might be able to sleep in until 6AM! I know what you mean, though. I want to sleep in but at 5AM *PING* I’m wide awake and restless. Oh well. Enjoy your pedi! Sounds like you have a busy summer ahead of you! Enjoy it. I’m like you – I have to be working or I’m bored. Have fun with your race this weekend!!

Wendy – you wild and crazy girl! A Bikini Wax on a Friday night! Need to hit the Coronas before hand! Have fun with your race this weekend!!

Judy – I love those spontaneous dates with DH! Very special.

Gayle –Enjoy your outside run! I hate treadmills, but love to run outdoors!

Shelly – Actually I was born and raised on the East Coast – Pennsylvania to be exact. So, yeah, I’ve spent a lot of time here. :+ It is a different world. Pros and cons to both places, actually, but I have to admit I like the weather out here better. I like being able to bike or run in January without dressing for a polar expedition. I love Viper – it’s a goodie… And HAVE FUN ON SUNDAY!!! Give Cathy and Wendy a hug for me!

Carole – Viper was fun after all the spinning. Wish there was a bit more leg work in there (maybe leg presses before the bicep work), but that’s okay. I still feel great. Sounds like a great workout you have planned.

Jackie – I love the names of the Spinervals, too. I feel great after completing a workout call “Have Mercy” or “Hillacious”. I just ordered “Mental Toughness” which is a 90 minute workout. I don’t know how he manages to keep them all different enough that you don’t feel like you’re doing the same thing over and over! Have fun in Nashville! I like that town! Good luck on your race!

Sunny – that sounds like a cool class!! I know what you mean about Grace and the “I am right here with you.” I always mutter, “No you’re not, you’re in a nice cool studio, sitting on you duff while I’m over here running my tail end off!” Another one I love to hate…

Jess – sorry to hear about your Aunt! I hope all is well and that you have a wonderful weekend!

Well, this afternoon is a company picnic, so I’m off work at 11:30 to run home, check on Mutso (aka Jimmy) and DD14, then head up to the picnic. Should be fun. I’m hoping to avoid anything bad as I FINALLY lost 3 pounds and would like to continue in that direction! Happy, Happy Friday all!!

Cheetahs:
Can you comment?

This is a copy of a post/reply regarding running in aerobic zone v anerobic zone. After talking with DH we agreed always tunning with a HR in the 180's in not ideal, but that is where my HR usally is while running.(Today I scrapped my interval run on the TM and just went for a leisurly 6.6 mile outside run. I tried to keep my HR lower and had to walk on up the hills to do so. Even still my avereage HR was 162. My usual AHR is in the hi 170s-low 180s.)

Sarah-

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.I am reading and rereading your post to try to understand the concept of aerobic training.

""...if you are having trouble maintaining a jog without staying aerobic...then this line of training is EXACTLY for you. The entire concept is to strengthen the aerobic system so it is more efficient.""

^^^ That is me

Admittedly, I am not training to run any races at all, but I would like to improve my ability to run (endurance) and not always run with such a high HR.

According to Phil Maffetone 180- age puts me at 180-46=134. I would have to walk to maintain that HR.

My question is: How do I apply this to my 3-4 runs per week?

Do I start out doing this for my long run or my shorter ones? Can I still do my tempo or repeat runs as prescribed?

How did you learn about this method? It looks like Phil's book is currently out of print.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences here.

What do the Cheetahs think?

Judy "Likes2bfit"

Judy - honestly, I think HR varies with everyone. If you run comfortably with a higher heart rate (you're not right at your anaerobic threshold and ready to passout), I think trying to keep your HR in a specific zone because that's your target HR (based on the average population), does not make a lot of sense. I think a HRM is a guide and should be used as such, but listening to your body is key. I have a coworker who plays ice hockey. His HR can get up over 200 on sprints (and he's in fabulous shape). But he's fine and that's just him.

Now, of course, if when you run you are huffing and puffing and it's very difficult for you, then that's a different story, and you need to go slower and keep your HR down. Staying aerobic is simply getting enough oygen. My true Anaerobic threshold is 165 - I can get there and sustain for a few minutes, but when I'm done I have to stop and bend over as I huff and puff because I cannot breath. If you can run 6 miles with your HR at 180 - that's not your anaerobic threshold.

Of course, someone else may disagree - but that's my take.

Christine :: enjoy the picnic and CONGRATS!!!! on the 3lb. loss! Awesome!! I need to take a page out of your book.

Judy :: I am still learning about HR training myself. I purchased a book at Carole's recommendation a few months ago, but like Chi Running, the best I managed to do was a skim. I hope to devote more time this summer to reading/understanding both training principles. I found this link on RW which you might find helpful:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/printer/1,7124,s6-238-267--1039-0,00.html

I am still new to creating my own rotations and would appreciate any feedback on the following fat loss/lower body concentration rotation. I based it on one of Cathe's earlier fat loss rotations...

WEEK ONE:
Monday: (day after 5K) - yoga or StretchMax
Tuesday: Legs & Glutes + 30 min. run
Wednesday: CTX Kickbox (cardio only)
Thursday: ME
Friday: Squeeze lower body mish-mosh/abs + 30 min. run
Saturday: Circuit Max
Sunday: run + stab. ball abs from PUB

WEEK TWO:
Monday: yoga or StretchMax
Tuesday: PLB + 35 min. run
Wednesday: PUB + 200 walking lunges
Thursday: KPC/abs + Squeeze lowerbody mishmosh
Friday: B&G mish-mosh + 35 min. run
Saturday: DM premix
Sunday: long run tbd

WEEK THREE:
Tuesday: Leaner Legs + 40 min. run
Wednesday: Cardio Kicks + abs + Squeeze lower body mishmosh
Thursday: S&H Legs plus 200 walking lunges
Friday: CTX upper body + 40 min. run
Saturday: B&G mish-mosh + abs
Sunday: long run tbd

WEEK FOUR:
Tuesday: Bootcamp (possibly a premix?)
Wednesday: PUB + 40 min. run
Thursday: Squeeze Lower Body mishmash + KM drills
Friday: 40 min. run + PLB stab. ball abs
Saturday: ME
Sunday: 40 min. run + B&G mishmosh

ETA: This was based on the Aug. 04 rotation.

~Cathy :)

Cathy-like you, I'm no expert, but I think the rotation looks great. I've learned thru pretty much all of Cathe's rotation that you don't need to do weights in order to tone the muscle. Kickbox works really really well as a toning workout for both upper and lower.

Judy-I can't help you at all, honestly, as far as knowledge goes. I can, however, just tell you that I have become a believer in the Rate of Perceived Exertion test (talk test, some call it) instead of the HRM. In fact, I just SOLD my Polar a5 because I came to NOT use it at ALL! I just found myself watching the numbers too closely and losing focus on what I'm doing, which was to just RUN! I'm not sure if that's ANY help at all. lol.

Gayle

OHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Go to Ask Cathe forums....there's a brief update about a presale. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Time to save money! How much can I save between today and the 25th of this month??? LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.