Cheetah Runner Check In Sunday Oct. 1

HI Cheetahs,
It's a rest/recovery week for me, starting today with a shorter long run. Fall seems to be here..

Jess-- I love KPC. The kick-puncho combos really grew on me. Eventually I got weighted gloves and felt it really helped me get a great workout, including core...I'm sending prayers for your family for your grandma. So difficult.

Carole--HSTA is a hard tape. I get a lot of DOMS in legs after doing that one. How far is your long run today?

Cathy -- what did you buy? Does your credit card have DOMS today?;-)

Elaine--you are in the countdown to the big day. I am so excited for you. Then it's boston!
I'm still thinking of your brother and FIL and sending prayers.

Karen--sounds like a fun family day yesterday. It's great you can all be active together. It reminds me of Karen Victoria, a cheetah who used to post here, having day long run-picnic-bikerides with her family!

Jennifer -- Glad your calf seems better. How was the run yesterday. I saw your post in Ask Cathe about core. For me, I found that I had to make sure my posture was really "on" in core work. Sometimes engaging glutes-hamstrings and then head-neck-shoulder alignment and then core helps me discover ways I was cheating but didn't realize it to really activate all those core muscles. Also, eventually doing more ball and weighted ab work (i.e. DVDS that has those workouts: PUB, KPC, ME, and of course the dreaded coremax) has helped. But hopefully Cathe and others will give you good info.

Sunny-the class at the gym sounds hard. How do you like the elliptical? I just started using one and on Friday used an iClimb program an loved it.

Katrina -- great workouts the past few days. It's great you can hop on your bike and mix that in. Glad your back is better!

Christine--sorry about the team. Were your DDs depressed abou it? Good job listening to the body about the legs. You've got your eyes on the big race. Love your quote on eat, drink and shop and return. Isn't that the truth!!???

Susan--ok -- 7 miles and then IMAX?? You are an exercise machine!! I love the lower body on BC and the upper body, too. It's a great tape for me to do weights when I can't decide. Hey, we ordered sushi last night!!! And next week, our friend who is Japanese is coming over for dinner -- I am struggling with the menu-- it's got to be simple. I'm thinking something with tortillas.....

Colleen-- hang in there. Some weeks are like that and it's depressing, but then those weeks end and things get back to normal. I hate that, too!

Linda--I could not run 7 miles on a track. I'm very impressed. The round and round would kill me. Sometimes I feel like the outdoor runs I do force me to go longer because I have to get back home somehow!! LOL. good for you for doing CM after a run. I find if I work my abs after running, I have a lot less DOMS.

Hi to everyone else! Shelly C, Mattea, Gayle, Wendy (are you at a NE GTG meeting other Catheites right now??) and everyone I am forgetting right now.

have a great Sunday!!
Barb

:) :) :)

Morning, cheetahs...

I did not lift weights yesterday afternoon...All this plan of attack with Airborne, vitamins, zinc, OJ, and chicken soup did not work, after all. Even though by Friday, I felt great and thought I had it beat, as of yesterday afternoon, the bug hit me. I'm feeling pretty miserable this morning. :-(

Elaine :: I actually wrote a check, so the card is OK, but I did find some good stuff. With a combination of coupons at the Loft, I saved $100. I bought three pairs of pants (SO happy I won't have to keep hikin' 'em up), 1 tank, 1 casual long-sleeve top, and a suit jacket to match a pair of pants I bought a couple of weeks ago. I must say, tops this season are AWFUL. What is with this long style?? I tried on a sweater that I didn't realize had extremely baggy arms...it looked like I could go hang-gliding in the thing...WHY??? Why these crazy styles!?

Laurie :: lots of luck today!! Knock 'em dead!! :)

OK, I'm gonna try to go back & read yesterday's posts and do some personals.

-cathy

OK, catching up:

Karen ::: when I have had dog encounters, I usually stop. And get my pepper spray poised for action. Luckily, I've never had to use it.

Jennifer ::: I hear you on being a lightweight. If I haven’t eaten anything, one beer would give me a buzz, too. Glad your calf is OK.

Christine ::: same thing happens to me. I rarely sleep in after 7 am on a weekend. Yesterday and today were a different story, but maybe that’s because of this cold. Grrr.

Susan ::: I love lounging on weekend mornings, too. I did (and still do) want to lose weight, but I have not been following a strict diet plan. I’m simply working out regularly and eating healthier. I think the remaining pounds will be hardest to lose, though, so I probably need to hone in more on the diet aspect of it.

Linda ::: I really hate running in loops, too.

Hi to Sunny D, Katrina, Colleen, and everyone else who drops in today.

Goor morning cheetahs

GOOD LUCK Laurie!!! Can't wait to hear how things go for you...

Barb...rest/recovery weeks are so good for you. Yes HSTA is a tough one, I probably didn't do ALL the reps..:)...I will probably go about 14-15 today, depending on how I feel. I want to focus a bit more on getting some speed back instead of high mileage.

Cathy...so sorry the bug bit you! As much as we try the preventative it is not always foolproof. I hope you get some rest today..

Had a very busy day yesterday...so today I'll run about 14-15 miles and watch some Football, while catching up on my laundry...:)

Have a great day...

G'morning Cheetahs! Quick peek in from me. I'm doing the nursery schedule for church so I have a couple minutes. :p Muffins are in the oven & then I have to wake everyone up, why is it that everyone seems to be able to sleep in just fine on Sunday mornings when we have to get going for church?? ;-) It's our month to teach Children's church which is always fun.

Knee felt much better y'day & I really liked KPC!! I can see that it's a favorite around here! I had a little bit of DOMS in my glutes, I need that! ;-)

Well, better get moving. It's pretty much a rest day for me, but I'll do some pilates later! Have a great day!

Some personals...

Elaine...I didn't really mind working yesterday. Missed not working out though..sounds like your taper is going well. I know this is a very emotional time for you. I also know how tough you are mentally. and with your training down, I believe this will be a very good marathon for you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen...it is great you like stretching. Don't loose that feeling!! I have had a few dogs follow me. Most have been very nice. One in our neighborhood "Roy" follows everyone and I have taken him home before. Seem's the owners are clueless...:)

Jennifer...hope your calf is better today. I know Cathe has a few workouts that use the high step...I'll have to get back to you on that...my mind is still asleep...

SunnyD...sounds like a good workout at the Gym yesterday!!

Katrina...sounds like your workouts are going well..

Christine...did you get in your hike yesterday?

Susan...yes after Coremax and a 5 mile interval run....HSTA was quite challenging friday afternoon!!

Linda...I also give you a high 5 for 7 miles around the track!!!! Dedication...:)

Hi Cheetahs! I'm resting today which means I'll warm up for a bit on my elliptical then do some stretching for 45 minutes or so. Tomorrow, Tuesday and Friday will be short easy runs so the training is essentially over. My 8 mile run yesterday was tough. Without going into details, I'll just say that something I ate did not agree with me and it took me some time in the morning before I got over it to get out to do my run. The tough run was good though because it gave me one last opportunity to practice what I will say to myself if/when things get tough during the marathon.

Barb, Would you STOP mentioning Boston? You're going to jinx me! LOL!! My training has been good with more awesome runs than bad ones and I do feel a bit stronger this year than last but I'm not betting on anything. I've got my three plans (worst case, good day and absolute best case) sorted out though so it will be good no matter how it turns out.

Carole, Yes, you hit the nail on the head about the emotions. So many at one time but the thing that really gets me is my brother. I'm sure you, and everyone else for that matter, really have no idea how much I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. But I do! I really do! Sounds like you have an awesome day filled with things you love. And it's not the laundry I'm talking about! Have fun!

Laurie, I'm thinking about you and can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

Cathy, I always enjoy buying smaller clothes but when I finally lost all the baby weight from my 5 year old DD I got rid of everything that was too big for me so all of my clothes are the smaller ones. I hate it when I put on a few pounds! Those are the days when you see me in nothing but sweats! Sorry your sick and hope you get better soon!

Jess, Glad your knee is feeling better and hope you are able to get back to running soon!

Anyone know what's up with Mattea?

Hi to everyone else checking in later.

Good Morning All!

Another busy day… First it’s off to the gym for Kick Box 2 (haven’t found a kick box class that challenges me yet, so I’m hoping a level 2 one does!) and a Power Flow Yoga class with the instructor who introduced me to yoga 5 years ago – he’s still teaching there, amazing. Then it’s off to an Italian Festival in Santana Row (Conveniently, my gym is there, too). I hope everyone enjoys your day!!

Go LAURIE CHEETAH GO!!! Good luck on your Half!!

Jennifer – I know – one more week! YIKES!! I’m with you – I hope the weather we have now holds. That would be really nice. I have a very light weight long sleeve shirt that I wear to run in weather like we’ve been having. It’s this one: http://www.activasports.com/act/products/AIL225/

Barb – Up early today – eh? DD wasn’t really depressed about the game – after last year to have won any is such a step up, that one loss is okay. I love that quote, too – saw it on cocktail napkins, and just laughed. Thanks. One week from today! *shakes in shoes*

Cathy – I’m so sorry – I hope you feel better soon! Maybe all that stuff will keep it short?!

Carole – enjoy the games! I’d say enjoy the laundry, too, but… :p Enjoy your run, too! And yes, we went for a 4 mile hike that has an 1500 foot elevation gain. The first part is STRAIGHT up. Then it evens out a bit. It’s a fast single track run through the redwoods on the way down. I love it… It’s my favorite local hike.

Jess – glad to hear your knee is feeling better and that you’re enjoying KPC!

Elaine – how exciting!! I can’t wait to hear how you’ve done!! I’m keeping your brother in my prayers, but you know that.

Elaine--glad you are set with 3 case scenarios for your run. I won't mention that word anymore. I just know you are well trained and I think all the emotions you are having will rise up to work in your favor that day!

Christine--sounds like a fun, fun day planned. I am an early bird....

Carole--Cool how you have changed your running focus to shorter and more speed. I will be interested to hear about it.

Jess- have fun teaching today. Sounds like a nice morning.

Mattea--like Elaine said-- where are you?

Hi Judy!! Hi other Cheetahs out there!
-Barb:) :)

Laurie: good vibes coming your way! You're going to kick booty!! :)

Barb: thanks so much for the advice and recs on a stronger core! I've got all of those workouts you mentioned, so I think it's time I pulled them out and tried them (KPC is the only one I've done so far, since the others I just got recently, and I'm still doing a GS rotation).

Carole: I did a search for "high step" on Cathe's site and found myself salivating at both HST and HSC. Gah. I really want to win the lotto soon so I can get all of these DVDs LOL (Low Max, Stretch Max, and IMAX2/Cardo & Weights are also on the list!).

Jess: mmm, muffins... they are my downfall!! What kind did you make?

Elaine: continued prayers for your brother from me... {{big hugs}}

Christine: I have a confession to make: I bought an el cheapo long-sleeve shirt from Marshalls yesterday LOL (I LOVE that one on Coleman!! I got two purses there last week!). It was only $6. It's VERY lightweight, so assuming this weather holds, it'll be perfect because I won't get too hot as the run progresses, but I'll still be able to have something relatively cool on in the beginning, when it's really nippy. Btw, I started panicking last night because my throat was getting scratchy. I do NOT want to get sick right now. I think it's just allergies, though (*fingers crossed*).

Sorry if I missed anyone!! Hi to everyone!

No running for me today - this is my official "I really have to taper this week" week. So, I'm going to do some yoga today (Ali McGraw's Yoga Mind & Body, which I haven't done in a while) and take it extra easy this week. I'm still going to follow my GS rotation, but I won't add leg weights to the leg workout (just to make sure I am not overworking those leg muscles!). Other than that, we have our last TnT track training of the season (*sniff* our season is winding down!!), but that'll probably be my only cardio/running for the week before Sunday. I'm traveling for work on Thursday and Friday, so not much chance to do anything else, especially since Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will be GS days.

Eeek, I can't believe the half is 7 days away!!

Jennifer

Good morning cheetahs!

GO LAURIE!!!!! I am thinking of you:)

Well, I was supposed to run 8 miles today, but my hubby bailed on me due to some household stuff that has to get done. So, I think I am going to do the 82 minute pre-mix of Legs and Glutes/KPC. It is All the combos and the high intensity drills AND all of the standing portion of Legs and Glutes}( It is actually a real calorie burn and I am looking forward to it. I hate not getting my miles in though. I only did 18 miles this week:( I knowm stop obsessing...deep breath;)

Barb, YUM!!! sushi. I had a huge bean and cheese burrito last night at my favorite mexican restaurant, so good! I think everyone loves mexican food, so I don't think you can go wrong fixing your friends something with tortillas. How long a run are you planning today?

Cathy, sounds like you had some good shopping. I love the loft. I know what you mean about the shirts this year. I went to Kohls and could not find one shirt to buy. There is either bulky long sweaters or these tunic shirts,UGH!!! I really liked the summer styles this year though. I hope you get over this bug. It is such a drag when you can't get your workouts in. It is good you are listening to your body though. Feel better.

Carole, Enjoy your 15 miler and your day of football. Do you buy special football snacks? I know when my hubby and I watched our first super bowl, we just wanted to get great snacks! After the food was gone, we turned off the t.v.(tee hee)

Elaine, It sounds like you are ready for your marathon. I know what you mean about tummy problems. If I have any rumbling or gas or anything, I always have to wait to run. There is nothing worse than having a digestive problem when you are out running. I have also been thinking about your brother and thinking good thoughts for you and your family. Take Care.

Christine, sounds like you have a great day planned. I have not been to a gym in so long. When I was a trainer I was there everyday of course, but it has been a while. Sometimes I think of joining again just to mix it up, but I just love my home workouts. I know what you mean about finding challenging enough classes in gyms. Cathe has us spoiled. Santana row is so pretty. I can't wait until they have all the pretty holiday lights up around that area. Have fun at the Italian festival.

Hello to everyone that follows and I am off to KPC/LG. Have a super day gals!

Susan

Jess, I am sorry I don't know how I missed you. What kind of muffins and can you send some my way? Enjoy your rest day and I am sure you guys will do something fun and family oriented today.

Jennifer, we must have been posting at the same time. I have the Ali yoga and it was one of my first yoga tapes, very relaxing. I love the GS dvd. I have been doing that one as well weekly with one upper body endurance on sunday. Enjoy your tapering week. 7 more days, how EXCITING!!!! Have a great week if we don't hear from you.

Susan

Good Afternoon ladies,

quick check-in as we are on our way out the door to help MIL find a new pad. she is relocating from nj to be with us in nc.

Go Laurie Go!! can't wait to hear the results.

today was a 4 mile run outside at the track plus a 1 mile powerwalk.

quick question- do you ladies eat before running?

have a wonderful sunday everyone:)

Elaine...you mean, you don't love laundry!...:)...I do also know about emotions. I've been thinking about emailing you a story about the marathon I ran with my sister one week after my Dad passed away...sorry about whatever you ate yesterday...I've been missing Mattea too...

Christine...sounds like you have a fun day planned!!! ENJOY!

Barb...seems like you can't focus on speed and distance at the same time! I was wanting to do a half marahton in Jan, here. But it is just a Marathon and then a 3 person marathon relay, so I am hoping to do the realy with my sister and friend. So, speed is important now...:)

Jennifer...HSC is also a favorite of mine...love the abs segment...:)

Susan..that is a great premix on the L&G/KPC DVD. I love it!! Sometimes we have some special Football snacks. My DH always makes his Portabello mushroom sandwiches for dinner on Sundays.

Wonder if Laurie is done yet???

I ended up doing 10 miles with my friend. Her knee was bugging her so I didn't push it. I came home and hopped on my Elliptical for a 30 min program...:)
http://www.sanfords.net/Spots_free_graphics/Sports/NFL/kchelmet.gif[/img] seems to be doing well...:)

Hey cheetahs...

Thanks for all the well wishes. I met some friends out for lunch, downed two Corona Lights, and felt enough gusto to go for a run afterward. Only 3.5 miles but not bad considering my stuffy head. I think you may be right, Christine, all this stuff I'm taking might just cut this bad boy of a bug short. Hope so! BTW, hope you got a good k'boxing workout.

Then I come back here and gasp reading about folks (Carole!) doing a 30-min elliptical after a 10-mile run!!! :) WOW!

Susan - I know what you mean...I do feel like I'm cheating when I get in less than 4 runs per week.

OK, I'm off to get showered and then tackle SOME of my schoolwork. The rest I'll save for tomorrow as I have the day off.

Have a good Sunday night, all!
Cathy :)

Linda I ran 7miles at our ymca track once and that was enough for me. I cant really stand the round and round motion of it but I was training for my first cleveland half and it was snowy and cold that time that I had no choice but to run it at the track! Now I have learned to run outside even in the winter months. I just bought me a jacket at dicks and some gloves ,so I am now winterized for my winter runs!!!

goodluck laurie on your half!!! I ran my half yesterday and it rained and was cold,glad its over. I didnt do to bad for not training at all for this one but let me tell you, I will make sure to train for the next one, my body will thank me for it too!!

carole, I think the elliptical is helping too!!!! It definately makes for more incentive to do it knowing that it helps with the running.

talk with you all later!!!

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!

Laurie - how did it go? Can't wait to hear!!

Laura - It is sooo hard for me to find anywhere to run outside that is convenient and safe. I thought I was going to scream going around and around. But....I had my iPod on and it was pretty outside. I am thinking I will do the track on Saturdays and then run out my road on Sunday's when there is no traffic. I am finding out some ways to add some mileage to that run. It may help some. During the week, I will have to use the treadmill most of the time.
I hope I will have the dedication to still go outside during the winter! I know I need it!

Cathy - glad you were able to feel a little better and enjoy some time and your run! Keep getting better!

Carole - I can't wait for the day that I can actually run 10 or 15 miles! I am in awe of your runs! I hope I can one day build up to doing as much as you guys! You are a true inspiration!

Susan - Hope you enjoyed the KPC/L&G premix! I have never done that one. One of these days I will have to try it!

Sunnydelite - When I work out at 4:30 a.m. during the week, I don't eat first. But on the weekends, I usually eat breakfast first. Then I do my weight workout and by the time the weights are over with, I feel okay to run or do cardio. That has worked really well for me!

Jennifer - Enjoy your yoga! 7 more days to go!!! Woohoo! Is this 1/2 marathon a flat course, or will there be hills?

Elaine - Hope your tummy woes are better!

Christine - Ooooo! An Italian Festival! That sounds like fun! Will there be lots of yummy Italian food, too?

Jess - Enjoy your Sunday morning and eat a yummy muffin for me!

Barb - Hope you enjoyed your shorter run! I love fall! I also love doing abs when I get back from a run!

Today I did Muscle Max and ran outside for about 4 miles. I was beautiful outside here today. Nice and cool in the morning and warmed up a bit in the afternoon!

Have a great evening everyone!

Linda

Linda: I think it's fairly flat. I've run part of the course before, and I don't remember it being hilly. So as long as the weather cooperates, it should be cool :).

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.