Cathe + P90X Checkin : Sunday 12/3

teddy16410

Cathlete
I'll start us off this morning...

Day 33: Phase 2: Week 5: of P90X for me. Was shocked at how much my body needed the recovery week. Mine fell T-giving week tho so I took it more as a rest 4 days week...!:p I know I would have felt better if I had stuck w/ the rotation as planned.

Today is YOGA and I'm adding CTX All Step w/ Abs & Body Fusion Floor Work.
I am NOT a yoga girl at all and probably never will be so I "endure" the 1st 45 minutes and love the last 45 as it just awesome stretching to me.

The workouts introduced in week 5 are KILLER. I was just fine with the Phase 1 routines I made them challenging by the wts/reps... not Phase 2. The exercises are just plain old HARD! }(

What type of recovery drinks are you guys using? Do you like them for taste as well as for results? I find that I recover from DOMs more quickly when I use them but I always have to lower "dose" as its just way too much for me to process all at once.

Anyway.... Have a great morning and hope our checkin isnt in poor taste...I would never want to offend Cathe and she's the only reason I started lifting weights at all last year.

Hi all "X-ers"!

I started week 3 today of phase 1, the Classic rotation). Still cannot do a "real" push up, can only go half way down and then back up. I opted to use the bands for the back work after week one using a step to assist on the pull up bar and I pulled a muscle in my hamstring. Too much assistance was needed I guess! I use GNC Whey protein powder for my recovery drink, just make it with water in a blender. The chocolate is really good,

Traci , I'm with you on the Yoga, hate it and I sub a treadmill HIIT instead of it. I am travelling next week for days 2-4 ( recovery week) so I guess I will have to just use the treadmill in the hotel and get some cardio in.

I hope it is ok to do this check in on Cathe's site. I tried going over to BB P90X board and it's not that good. ( Hard to keep up with a thread that has over 1000 responses!) Definitely not as good as Cathe!

Hi Traci,

I start P90X tomorrow. Have a group bike ride today, probably only around 20 some miles today as it's 18 degrees right now. By 10:00 when the ride starts, hope it's in the 30's!

I've already taken my before pictures. Need to take my measurements today and make out my menus for the week. Did my shopping yesterday so think I'm pretty well set. I want to go to Walmart and get another yoga mat and check out some bars and protein powder.

Traci, thanks for the help with this program. It'll be nice to know that you've made it thru what I'm going thru in regards to difficulty of exercises. Guess muscle confusion is right as you start your 5th week? I've others comments about how hard that first week is after the recovery week.

Fox2Star, yes, the threads are pretty long on the BB site. I've been doing some reading over there, but not sure I could respond to everyone in a checkin. I don't have a pullup bar but will be using our Bowflex lat tower for the back work. I don't do pushups very well right now. I usually feel it more in my shoulder area than in my pecs for some reason. I don't go all the way down for big pushups. Now girl pushups are fine.

Jeanette

Fox2Star & Jeanette-
Oh I LIKE X'ers Check in !!! Think its less in your face on the Cathe board.. Lets call it that!

Real Pushups: I think I can do 1 or 2 the entire workout then I feel like I'm gonna smash my face into the ground so I drop to knees. I use band over door right now for back but asked for a "door Gym" for Xmas... I dont trust a pull up bar not to damage my door frame so I'd never go that route... My back has had DOMS after each w/o tho so it must be working as is.

Jeanette I cant believe you went out into the bitter cold for a bike ride! Oh my gosh ... You are committed! BUNDLE UP!

Just had a banana & 1/2 protein bar as I MUST get in gear and do my planned w/o today! almost 10:30 here and YOGA is a long one + I have that CTX on the calendar as well.

Back later & thanks for checking in ladies! This will be very fun and motivational for me.:)

Hi all,

Jeanette, what kinds of clothes do you wear to ride in 18 degree weather? I went out last Sunday and rode 35 miles, but it was mid 60's. It's about 50 here today. Maybe I can rethink the clothes I wear when I ride.

Today is my last recovery day of phase 1. I'm ready for the next week to start. I'm finding that I miss that feeling you get from working muscles really hard. It rivals a good ride or run.

Anyway, today I am doing a heavy leg workout and some light Cathe cardio. I'll post what I end up doing later. If I have time I'll fit in stretchX. I too struggle with yogaX and forced myself to complete the whole thing after my cardio yesterday. The only thing that keeps me doing it is the fact that I have seen real improvements in my flexibility in the last few weeks. Plus I think that the first 45 minutes or so really help improve the ability to do push ups.

We happened to have a pull up bar in our garage. I tried the band, but didn't get a heavy enough one. I still can't do one unassisted pull up, but usually can do 10-12 assisting with one leg. By the end I'm done.

Tracy

Tracy,
I just started my car, warming it up to drive in to Starbucks where our club meets. For riding in the 30's I wear:

Polypro type long sleeve underwear top, wicks good
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights (have windproof front)
Woolistic cycling jersey
PI Cycling Kodiak Jersey/Jacket
Lobster gloves (with powder sprinkled in them to keep hands dry)
Wool socks
Toe covers over shoes
PI Insulated Booties
Balaclava and sometimes ear warmer underneath
Helmet (of course), sunglasses with mirror attached

Think that's all I can think of. I can usually stay out dressed like this for about an hour. If it doesn't get warmer outside, I'll start getting cold at that point. If it rises into the 40's, all the better. 50 degrees, this would be way too much clothing.

Your hands and feet and face get the coldest. Someone gave me a tip of powdering the hands and feet to keep them drier. It does help a lot as my feet and hands can sweat and then end up getting colder.

If not one shows, I may just come home and ride later when it warms up more.

Traci, X'ers Check In sounds great!

I'll BBL.

Jeanette

Hi all,

I guess I'll have to stick to biking when it's 50 and above. I think I'm a wimp. It may be easier if I had someone to ride with, but I usually go by myself.

I ended up doing legs and then LIC cardio blast. That routine seems to have a lot of 7 knee repeaters in it to fill up the time. I'm not sure I get much out of those, but it was fun.

Traci, thanks for starting this. I'm sure I'll be humbled again tomorrow when I start phase 2 tomorrow.

Tracy

Got Yoga done: (OK got HALF ogf YOGA done!):p
Got CTX All Step & Abs done
Got Body Fusion Floor done
Feeling really good as Yoga is usually a BLOW OFF for me. Half is a major accomplishment! Its the only P90 I do not care for but its not P90's fault at all!

Tracy: Very Cool you have a P/U bar! Cant wait to hear your progress! I'm excited to have someone else in phase 2 as well.... It is so HARD for me - I'm really curious to hear how you find it in comparison to Phase 1. As another of my friends in WW Check In says... P90X Phase 1 is hard but do-able... This phase is really making me dig deep inside to "bring it"... I guess thats what its all about tho.

Jeanette: LOL- It would take me a full day to put on that many clothes! You are a VERY dedicated biker. I live in Houston and am a MAJOR GRUMP the past 3 days as temps dropped down to 40's low / 65 high. I am such a WEENIE when it comes to cold. I was born in desert California and moved to Texas in the late 80's so I really never had to deal alot with the cold. My blood is Californian thru & thru!
GREAT TIP: Powder hands & feet etc... I may do that if I ever leave the house to exercise this winter.

Off to our first Holiday Party tonight.... gotta watch what I eat tho as tomorrow is Legs Back Abs + adding on a CTX cardio .
Have a great night!:)

Hi,
Got back from our group ride today. Had 7 of us show and in barely above 30 degree weather. All dressed pretty much like I described above, though of course I don't know about their underclothes! We did 40 miles and it ended up being around 40 degrees when we finished. Stopped for breakfast 1/2 way thru and I had coffee and a biscuit as I'd already had my barley breakfast (made and eaten like oatmeal) earlier. I had tons of energy and a couple of the guys commented on my riding and wondering how much I'm doing during the week. I told them only a Cardio Coach once during the week. One guy even said he was going to try one of them out. Cardio Coach will make you strong, strong.

Traci, I'm wondering if I can still get in a Cardio Coach during the week if I'm doing the Classic rotation. On which day could I do it, a weight day or non-weight day. I usually do the Cardio Coach workout in the evening. Also, our group ride is on Sunday, think that is the rest day? Do you think I would be sabotaging my efforts by adding in these 2 days? Have fun at the party!

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.