Callipygian Princesses Check-In 2 May 2009

Sugarbean

Cathlete
Morning!

Janis, thanks for the explanation yesterday. It appears that our name is not attracting a broad audience :). Possibly everyone thinks we are Star Trek nerds or something (not that there's anything wrong with that). Maybe we should go for something more conventional? I ordered the Muscle Chow book on Amazon, and I am going to work on reading BFFM. The book is >300 pages! Did you read it all in one go? Well, nothing worth it is ever easy! I did the abs weights and plates yesterday, but when I got to the "plates" part, I just stared in awe. It called for two paper plates, and I only have one gliding disc, but I was totally impressed with how she, Cedie, et al, were able to contort their bodies using their core. Cathe is unequivocally the bomb. It is nice to have something to aspire to! Today, it's raining, so I will probably take the kids to the Y, and do stairstepping. They have machines there with televisions attached to them :).

Good Morning Lisa

I have been meaning to ask where you first heard the word "Callipygian".

It could be the name, it could also be timing. Do you have other conventional name ideas? We could post in Open Discussion and STS, like you did a few weeks ago, and see if anyone would like to join us.

It is raining here also. I told you yesterday that I was going to run this a.m., but I tweaked my ankle and it is tender and swollen today. (I wear Dansko clogs, and occasionally I tumble out of them.) Instead of a run, I am going to dig up something low impact from the non Cathe dvd's I have. Which reminds me yesterday I ordered a small hand full of Cathe dvds using my Power Tower discount. The idea is to rotate them in to add more cardio to my week, and also for STS rest/recovery weeks, and also after STS.

Did I read BFFM at one go? I took a whole weekend to read it, as an ebook. At the time I was recovering from a concussion and was doing nothing more than reading and gaining weight. Later I sent the ebook to Kinko's to print up and bind. Now I am re-reading it in snippets, like when I am in the car waiting for one of my ds's.

I haven't tried abs- weights & plates yet, but I have to agree, Cathe is the bomb. As a matter of fact, seeing her and the shape she is in convinced me to order her dvds.

How old are your children?

Janis,
I first came across the word Callipygian when I googled most beautiful words, or something like that to come up with a username, and I didn't use it as a username, but I thought it was a cool word. I should have had someone else print out BFFM, b/c I printed the whole thing out and punched holes in it and put it in a ginormous binder. I too wear Dansko clogs! They are my favorite shoes and have spoiled me to any other ones.

Hi Lisa

Still raining here. We need it, but after a long winter, I wish the warm sunny weather was here to stay.

My ankle is still puffy and aches. The plan for today is yoga. I like Rodney Yee, I'll pull out either Power Yoga or Intermediate. On the intermediate yoga he introduces head and hand stands, which I am ever hopeful will reverse the effects of gravity on my facial muscles!

Hopefully the ankle thing will pass quickly as I have a tendency towards lethargy and once those tendrils take hold malaise soon follows, then nothing gets done!

Today my ds11 has a piano recital. His first.

You have a boy and a girl! They are at really nice ages right now. Sweet, innocent, happy, trusting, minds curious and creative..... your six year old is in kindergarten??

What year are you in, in your fellowship?

Hi Janis!
I'm sorry to hear about your ankle not behaving! I did disc 4 today + yoga-inspired abs from the abs circuit, and of course I wasn't able to completely do everything, but was still inspired. I reviewed the entire BFFM book, and have cobbled together a menu with appropriate macronutrients, etc. I used myfitnesspal.com to add up the macronutrients, which was handy. Congratulations on your DS11's recital! How long has he been playing? I am just about to complete my first year in fellowship (of 2). It's gotten too embarassing for me to be overweight and have to credibly counsel people about weight loss. I think I'm going to run out of time to do cardio, but I still might squeeze it in...

Hi Lisa

The piano recital was great! Who knew there were so many talented kids! My son has only been playing 8 months, he played Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", and also "Broadway Magic."

Yeah - my ankle - makes me wonder if I did something to it before I stumbled out of my shoes and I only noticed it after the additional tweak. I am lifting weights tomorrow, and will run on Tuesday, that means I will have given it four full days of rest. I am keeping my fingers crossed that that does the trick.

Hey, that's great you cobbled a menu plan together, what's that saying "If you don't plan for success, you plan for failure". At one time I tried an online service to track my calories and macro's, but after BFFM I made an excel spreadsheet and I use Calorie King to get the information to plug into it. It seems like I eat a lot of the same things over and over again and a lot of produce so this system is working for me.

Now make sure you write out those goals. Twelve weeks AND beyond! Which reminds me, is there a "prize" for the winner of your department challenge??? I know you had your body fat measured (how nice to have real tools) but also take your own tape measurements.

Are you doing three STS discs a week? Or are you squeezing in 4 a week?

Hi Janis,

I decided to do just 3/week so I could get muscle rest, and am going to attempt to do cardio 7 days a week, knowing that I will likely actually get it in at least 5x/week. Today, my husband had a migraine (his first one ever), and I had to take the kids to school today, I got to work late, only to discover that one of my colleagues had a family emergency, and I had to cover all of her patients plus mine as well as drive across town to see a patient at a different hospital and now be on a call pager that she was supposed to carry. A pre-emptive call from the airport would have been nice. I did, however, adhere to my meal plan today- I imagined my body withering away and consuming itself, like Tom V. said, and I ate exactly on time. I was peeling my oranges in the car on the freeway, but I ate them! What are some of your BFFM favorites- do you have recipes that you use? I am awaiting Muscle Chow. I am going to play on the computer for a minute and then go for at least a 25 minute interval. My keystrokes are comitting me :).

BRAVO!

Sticking to the plan under duress - way to go! Having a plan ahead of time is half the battle isn't it!?, and because you handled it before hand you were able to carry it through!!!!

I have the luxury of making my meals and eating at home, so I don't have too many pack it, eat it on the run meals, but a couple of my easy favorites are cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes with lots of fresh ground pepper. Or cantaloupe and cottage cheese, somehow those two were meant to go together. I also like 2-3 ryvita crackers with chevre (soft goat cheese) and smoked salmon, with a thick slice of tomato (baby carrots too.). I also like making a "fried" rice. Not really fried, I use mushroom broth, then add leftover brown rice, an egg, some minced up leftover chicken, and veggies. It keeps too. One of DH's favorites is a couple of hardboiled eggs and raw veggies...red bell, cucumber, cherry tomatoe, baby carrots, sugar peas. And then there is my standby, yogurt, whey, berries, oats. (mix). Another one I like is microwave sweet potato or yam (be really careful on portion size, because they are calorie dense) and cottage cheese, if you are feeling brave add some baby spinach. (I like it, but it looks sort of unappealing.)

Sorry to hear about DH's migraine. :( May it be his only one.

I have spent so much $$ in the recent past, what with STS, STS cardio, the power tower, plus a step bench and high step, and like I told you the other day I bought a handful of dvds to add to the rotation and to prep me for STS cardio, well .............today....I bought a foldaway stationary bike for days when I can't run (i.e. ankle) and I also was inspired by your cardio rotations at the gym, so now I can actually do rotations. :D

Ok- back to making dinner, I hope you got your intervals in! A hectic day deserves endorphins!

Last edited:
Hi Janis,
Thanks for the suggestions- I love sweet potatos, and will have to measure carefully! A stationary bike is perfect for non-weight bearing cardio while resting your ankle- does it feel any better? I did Disc 5 today, and treadmill cardio (all the other machines were taken, so no rotation) I alternated between walking at a 4 incline and jogging. I really get bored, I might have to break out cardio coach tomorrow, have you ever done any of those? I have to say, I never thought I would be the type to count my heart rate, but I love doing that, there is a definite sense of accomplishment, and I feel like I've accomplished more- we'll see how it pans out as far as results. Sorry about my rant yesterday. I have adhered to the diet, and everyone is having rainbow sherbert with a mint double stuff oreo as a treat, and I am typing this to not partake. I think I might go to the library to return some book after I brush my teeth:D Have a great day tomorrow!
Lisa

Hi Lisa

I didn't perceive your itty bitty teeny tiny complaint as a vent, BUT feel free to vent any time! (if that's your vent, gosh - my venting would be a - hmmmm - a tirade!)

I ran on the TM today for 40 minutes. My ankle was cranky, but interestingly enough when I elevated the board to 2.5 % incline my ankle pain diminished greatly. UPS delivered my new running shoes this afternoon, so that should help. (gotta love Zappos). I am trying out the Nike Free. I put them on for a trial, and haven't taken them off. As a matter of fact I got an energy burst, I vacuumed the whole house, did the dishes, did several loads of laundry and made dinner. Pretty good for a lethargy addict! They are super duper comfortable, AND my ankle is loving them. (so far, that is.) My 19DS, when he saw them, said he wanted a pair too.

Tomorrow is Disc 8, back and tri's, and I am planning on rowing.

Do you use a HRM to count your heart rate, or are you doing your own pulse check? Once again you are inspiring me - I think I'll put my HRM for rowing, and make sure I really get a vigorous workout. I haven't used cardio coach. While on the TM I am watching a Teaching Company dvd series. Rowing, well, I do that in the garage with the doors open and I just look out at the beautiful mountainside.....and watch the birds.

The longer you go without sugar, the easier it will get, I promise.:)

Hi Janis,
I'm double reply-ing. I do have a heart rate monitor but haven't dug it out of the closet b/c I just use the handlebar one on the machine, or do a 6 second count, but I did cardio coach today, which I previously hadn't done with a heart rate monitor, and it would really help, b/c I noticed that the monitors on the machines need a full minute to display the right rate. What about these shoes? Nike Free? They sound lovely, are they expensive? I am due for a new pair of shoes in a month or so...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.