Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle - Cathletic Supporters Week of 3/26

workoutaholic

Cathlete
Hey ladies! Cendrine, I sent you a PM about my vegan woes : ) and will check back in with you guys tonight with workout and stuff.

I did just eat a vegan frozen Amy's organic veggie loaf meal w/mashed potatoes and peas/corn, and it was delish! he he

How are you guys?

Hey there! I hadn't seen the thread in a while so I thought that we all disappeared. LOL

I've been busy and have not been able to get to the calculations for BFFM. I really need to get counting. I think that is the only way that I will start to "see" more results from my hard work in the CLX series. Plus I want to start adding in STS and I need to make sure I'm eating enough. (even though I feel like I'm always eating right now)

How is everyone else?

Hi Everybody,

Workoutaholic, thanks for the pm, tell me more about this vegan thing and how it's supposed to work and why you are doing it. I'm always interested to learn new things!

Hi Rhea, I'm glad you found the thread. I like checking in with you all!

I have just rescanned over the BFFM to kind of refresh my memory about things and see if I missed any details the first time through. Based on my results so far (I have been super good sticking to clean and calorie budget and workouts) I have decided that I may be some form of an endomorph, (I keep confusing the names, the one that has the hardest time loosing any fat) so as a result, I am going to experiment limiting myself to two servings of fruit, and two servings of complex carbs and one serving of dairy in the first half of the day and then stick to fibrous carbs and protein and healthy fats only for the second half or even 2/3 of the day. I'm also upping cardio intensity on the off sts days to see if that will help.
I was wondering if a cheat meal is a meal that has non clean foods in it but normal calorie budget, or if you can go over budget, too. I think for the most part cheats are ones non clean within calorie budget, but Tom mentioned in one chapter that one 'bad' meal can actually kick your metabolism out of it's rut. all that to say, I think I will do one cheat meal a week until I get the results I'm looking for, I kind of feel like the maintenance level meals are sort of like a cheat because I get to eat more, even if it's clean.

Since I'm cutting out fruits, milk products and complex carbs for noon meal and onward, I'm having a challenging time coming up with options for my number 4 meal at about 3pm. If I can, I cook extra from the dinner before which is lean protein and veggie, but what other options and ideas are there for a snackish kind of 3pm meal vs an actual cooked one? I hope you guys know what I'm asking...:)

I'm on my first round of meso 1 week 4, doing disk 12 tomorrow, then going in for another round of meso 1 week 4 before the active recovery week. It's been awesome so far! I love this program and I'm lifting heavier already than I have before, which makes me worry about meso 2 and 3...:eek:

Have a great rest of the week, everyone!

Hey Rhea, so glad to see you again! Where are you with CLX? I got all the way through 2 weeks of Lean and then quit. : ) I love it though!

Cendrine, for the not-eating-meat part of it, it's mostly the factory farming that bothers me. And for dairy, the more I think about it, I keep getting weirded out about it! ha ha Like drinking breastmilk from cows...I'm sorry that sounds horrible! I'll stop now. :eek: I'm hoping eating all plants will do me some good and get me to eat tons of veggies. I think your plan sounds great, I am wishing you tons of luck - I am sure that will work.

Oh and here's that Tosca Reno protein bar recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup whey or soy protein powder
1/2 cup quinoa flour or flour of your choice
2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup coarsely chopped flax seed
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sucanat or agave nectar or organic honey
1 cup dark chocolate, broken into pieces (I used chips)
1.5 to 2 cups yogury cheese or soy yogurt cheese (If you've never made this, lemme know)
1/4 cup avocado, canola, or other healthy oil
2 tsp EVOO
1 tsp vanilla
cooking spray

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.

In large mixing bowl, combine protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, flax seed, wheat germ, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sucanat (or other sweetener). Stir in chocolate pieces.

In another bowl mix the yogurt cheese, oils, and vanilla. mix well. Add the yogurt cheese mixture to the dry ingredients. Use your clean bare hands to combine these well (can coat hands in olive oil or cooking spray).

Place mixture in pan. Press down, even out top. Bake on middle rack for 15 min. Remove from heat, let cool, and cut dough into bars. Place bars on cookie sheet lined with Silpat (whatever that is, ha ha - i just put them directly on my stone baking round) and bake again for another 15 min. Remove from heat, cool on wire rack. Place in airtight container and store in refrigerator. Makes from 20-24 servings.

Calories: 290 (I calculated mine out and it was not nearly this much)
Calories from fat: 73
Protein: 15 g
Carbs: 40 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 11 g
Fat: 8 g
Sodium: 80 mg

Workout today was pretty easy - Crunch Bootcamp. I needed something short though, and P90X is coming soon, so back to the longer workouts again!

Good Morning:)

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here! Im reading BFFM and im loving it. Im only on chapter 7 though, so i still have a ways to go. I plan on starting this plan on sunday. Do you guys mind if i check in with you? Ive been lurking for a while and everybody seems extremely nice and supportive:) Im hoping that BFFM will help me lose my last bit of body fat and help those hard earned muscle pop out;).

Just a littlebit about myself...im 30, live in GA, and i have been married for almost 9years. I have a DD who is 7 and a DS who is 4, i work partime in a doc's office. I workout about 6days a week @ atleast 45mins.

Cendrine-Im almost 95% sure that im a endomorph too...so im right there with ya! I may have a slight mesomorph in me too(i have a tendency to bulk easliy in my legs:rolleyes:)

workoutaholic-Great job with crunch bootcamp yesterday! Your recipe's sound fantastic...ive printed them out.

Rhea-I know what you mean...ive been working out pretty intense for a while now but i don't look the part because of my eating:rolleyes: im excited about BFFM...can't wait to see some results.I had to get my DH to help me figure out my calories...im soooooo not good at math:confused:

Hey to anybody I missed! I will pop in later....have a great friday! I plan on doing a 4DS circuit today,not sure which on yet. bbl

Hey punka274! Thanks! And we are so glad to have you, welcome! I am so excited for you that you are reading BFFM...I struggled for so long trying to stop binge-eating (which I mostly started during pregnancy, and then never stopped) and BFFM just clicked with me and got me to stop. And I was bad! So I totally believe in it.

About me: I have been married almost 7 years, have a 20-month old son, and work a little bit from home for an environmental consulting firm.

Which circuits from 4DS have you tried? I haven't gotten around to doing the premixes yet, but I love the workouts themselves. The high intensity step is one of my favorites.

Again, glad to have you!

Hi Amelia,

great to have you join us! I have only been doing BFFM for a couple of months, but I have been really loving it. Something about it is really working for me.
I'm 34 years old, been married almost 11 years and have a 5yr old son and a 2.5yr old daughter. I've been working out with Cathe for about 4 years and am just not getting tired of her.... :)

Thanks so much for the recipe, workoutaholic! I'm going to try it. But I need a little more info:

What is yogury cheese or soy yoghurt cheese, and where do you get it?
I have no idea what EVOO is either...:eek:

Thanks for clarifying! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome girls...im excited to be here:)

workoutaholic-Yesterday I did the UB/LIS circuit..it was fun and i was pooped afterwards, i had to throw in some squats,lunges & plea's. I believe that is the only circuit from 4DS that I have tried:eek:. I got the series about two months ago so im still learning. I still haven't done HIS yet:eek: I love the bootcamp and kickbox workout on there and the weight work is fantastic...I started running back in decemeber so that is my main cardio right now(which leaves little time for step:confused:)

I can relate to the binge-eating, i haven't had a binge in a while...although i will go over on my calories due to emotions quite often:)() High fives on controlling that,its hard.

cendrine-Isn't Cathe the 'bomb diggity':)(my husband watches family guy:rolleyes:i don't care for it but they say bomb diggity alot on there:rolleyes:) I started with cathe back in dec. of 06...and ive been hooked eversince.

Anybody ordering STS Cardio? Im on the fence about it...still got three more days to pre-order(I guess) Ive been bitten by the running bug so im not sure if i will use it right away.

Who ordered STS? Didn't get a chance to order that one either:rolleyes:

Today is a rest day(although I may hop on the treadmill and do a short run interval:eek: sometime today) I have to work this morning so i will check in with everyone later...have a lovely day ladies:)

Hi Again,

I did my measurments today. It's slow but it's progressing. The 'slow' is why I think I'm endomorph, because I have not been cheating and have been working hard. I am now at 19.6% body fat. A little over 1.5 % to go! That seems so close! I'm hoping that the higher intensity cardio and the simple and complex carbs for mornings only will help me get there quicker...
Needless to say I am feeling motivated right now.

Amelia, it looks at the bottom of your post, like you have lost tons of weight! Wow, congratulations! You go, girl!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Sorry Cendrine! I've never seen it in a store, but to make yogurt cheese you just take a container of either low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt, place a few layers of cheese cloth in a strainer/colander, and dump the yogurt on top of the cheesecloth. Put the strainer over a bowl, and leave in fridge overnight. Most of the whey strains out of it into the bowl, and you're left with a higher protein, less sour yogurt cheese! You can do a lot of stuff with it. I think if you don't have cheesecloth, but you have a very fine mesh strainer, that will work to. Oh and EVOO - extra virgin olive oil.

Thanks, workoutaholic!

It sounds like that yogurt thing you do might be what greek yoghurt is. The greek yogurt I get from Trader joes packs 22g of protein per serving for 120 cal per cup. I'll give it a try with that.

I've been hearing a lot about BFFM, What exactly is it? How do you determine what you should be eating in order to burn fat. Would someone mind doing my calculations for me. I'm 5'7, 43 y/o, 150lbs, and my bodytype is meso. In BFFM, do they recommend limiting carbs to the morning? I've been trying to get down to 140 but nothing seems to be working.

Hi Nspire,

BFFM is more than I could summarize in a few sentences, but I'd be happy to figure out some numbers for you, it might take me a couple of days though. When calculating your calorie needs I need to know your activity level. I think it's grouped in less than 3 times a week, 3-5 times a week and 5 or more times a week of exercise.

Some of the basics of the nutritional aspect are to eat about every 3 hours, for a total of 5 meals for women, 6 for men and to split your calories evenly over the 5 meals for the day. For me that's 5 meals of 300 calories each. Then it suggests to alternate three days of fat loss meals (the 300 calorie meals for me) with one day of maintenance level calroies (400 calories per meal for me)

It also says to make each meal contain a lean protein, a complex starch (nothing refined) and a fruit or a vegetable.
The less processed your foods are, the better.

If you are not seeing results on this kind of diet, you may need to up your exercise time. However, if you've been on a too low calorie diet, your body may not budge because it's on starvation mode and you will need to eat more for a week or so to get it out of that mode. Sometimes limiting carbs in the second half of the day can be helpful (that's what I am starting to experimenting with this month)

You said you think you are a mesomorph, I wonder if you are a combination type meso-endo, because if you were a pure meso, your weight should come off easily.

If you are in fact a comination type, here are some recommendations for the endomorph:
eat high protein, medium to low carb meals
Exercise consistently
High amounts of cardio 4-5 times a week for fat loss, 3 times for maintenance
Get more active even after the workout, how many places can you walk to instead of drive to, etc
Keep cheat meals to one time a week.
Stay away from refined carbs.

I hope that helps you some!

Hello!

I will be so glad when the rains stops...ugh! Its been raining here in GA for the past three days:(.

I did CC v 3 then ran an additional 20mins making it almost 4miles,3.850.That was 50mins on the treadmil :eek: I burned 530cals. I woke up this morning feeling so sluggish, ugh,after my run i felt so much better.

Cendrine, Thanks...it took me a while to lose the weight. Congratulations on the measurements...thats fantastic, i would rather lose inches than weight any day!!!

Hey to everybody:) gotta scoot and get supper started,have a wonderful day!!!

Cendrine,

Thanks for your reply.

I work out 5 or 6 times a week. I'll usually do cardio on all days, but will change up the intensity. Usually when I work my legs, I do light cardio such as stationary bike, and will do HIIT 3-4 days a week.

Dana

Hi Dana,

I have some numbers here for you.

According to your stats your maintenance level (the level you would eat at to not loose or gain any weight) is 2895 calories, and that is taking into account the amount you exercise.

According to BFFM you should not go much lower than 500 calories below maintenance for fatloss without muscle loss. So on your fatloss diet days you would eat about 2300-2400 calories a day. That seems like a lot to me, but you are taller than I am, so that may be what that is all about.
I used to eat 1200 calories or less a day. Now that I am on BFFM I am eating 1500 or more a day, and some days, depending on the foods I eat, that seems like a lot of food. But I have been losing weight, fat not muscle. BFFM makes it very clear that your weightloss since you are focusing on only losing fat and no muscle, will be slower. It says not to aim at losing more than 2 lbs a week (I have been losing about half a pound a week) but I have actually lost more fat than that, but replaced it with muscle which is heavier, so it seems slower going, but it's actually working very well.

If I were you, I would take a look at how much difference there is between how many calories I used to eat and how many I'm supposed to eat on the new program and then increase them gradually to meet the new level, if it is a lot different from what you have been doing. I would also take measurements, not just weight but also tapemeasure and even bodyfat if you can, that will help you figure out just exactly what is going on in your body composition. The book explains in good detail how to track your progress and how to read and adjust your plans to your progress or lack thereof.

As a general rule, if the calorie calculations scare you, which I would totally understand, a general rule is that women tend to need 5 meals at 300 to 400 calories each. You can start there and see what your results are. If you are not losing weight the book recommends working out more before eating less because your body will go into starvation mode if you give it less food for long, but it doesn't do that if you burn it in form of extra exercise.

On a macronutrient ratio, it would be good to aim for at least 20g of protein at each meal, maybe more. 20-30 % of your total calories can be from healthy fats, and since you have some endomorph tendencies, you may opt to cut out complex and simple carbs (bread, pasta, rice, dairy, fruits) for the second half of each day in favor of lots of veggies and protein. When cutting out the complex carbs you will probably end up doing a bit more healthy fats to meet your calorie needs. And don't forget to zig zag, meaning eating less for three days then at maintenance level for 1 day and then three less again and so forth....

I hope this all makes sense to you. Maybe you can find someone who can double check the calorie needs for you to make sure I didn't make a mistake...:eek:

Cendrine

Morning

Today is cardio coach volume 1 then power hour upper body..that power hour really gets me good;)

What workouts are on tabs for the day?

Everybody have a great day...bbl

Cendrine,

2300 cals a day does seem like a lot. You mentioned zig zagging, what exactly is that? Can you also give me an idea of what a daily menu should look like? What do you normally eat on a given day?

thanks Dana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.