BFL - Monday 5/12

Good morning everyone! Hope you all enjoyed mother’s day, however you celebrated! The kids made me breakfast, and since it rained all day, we had an enjoyable day just vegging at home. It was good to have a slower pace.

Today’s workout skipped; this changing weather has my head stuffed up. I thought the extra sleep would help me get over it faster.

Alert – the next 2 weeks will be complete stress! At work this week we’ll be preparing for the audit of the following week. Then at home, in between soccer, scouts, award ceremonies and band concerts, DS’s birthday is Friday and the 5Kis Sunday. (taking deep breath) Knowing that I’m an emotional eater when stress rises, I’m trying to prepare my meals and write it all down, every last crumb (I’m not so good about holding myself accountable for the crumbs!).

For today:
M1: protein waffles (waffle maker thinking about going on the fritz, too - add that to the list!)
M2: protein shake
M3: lunch out but I know I can choose clean (have a new employee starting in my department today, and we always take someone out on the first day)
M4: almonds, pineapple
M5: grilled chicken & salad
M6: protein shake (I’m really having trouble getting in M6 lately – are any of you?)

Stephanie – Hope you kids made your day special!

Heidi – Please tell me that you didn’t clean or work on the house all day yesterday, too!

Gayle – Did you get your veggie garden in?

Connie – Welcome to MOTIVATION STATION!

Melissa – Hope your DD did something special for you!

Belinda – Enjoy that new weight bench!

Good morning also to Kathy, Michelle, Amelia, Carolyn, Liann, and everyone else!

Hope you all have hard, sweaty workout and a bright, sunny day!

Good morning!!

Looks like just you and me so far Sherry!! Glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day. Sometimes I love when it rains for that reason alone: perfect excuse to veg out!!:p Your menu looks great today! I usually have trouble getting #6 in on the weekends.

DD made me a box of homemade crafts for Mother's Day. I love stuff like that. What made me laugh is that after I was done going through everything she asked if she could have the box back! It was a really pretty box that she already had so how could I say "no"!

CC#1 done! Legs are feeling a little fried so I'm not sure how LB will go tonight.

BBL when I get to work.

Morning!
Sherry - Don't worry, you'll do fine this week. Just take it one day (or one hour at a time) and you can handle anything! Yay, I can't wait until your 5k, I just know you're going to have a blast. :)

Well, I've re-grouped and feel much better. Since I last checked in I did a BodyPump and ran 3 miles on Friday, rested on Saturday, and ran 5 miles yesterday. This morning I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, Biceps and the cardio to 4DS Bootcamp...oh, and a segment of Core Blast.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I had a great one...got a new pair of running shoes and a Chili's gift certificate (yum!)

BBL,
Kathy

edited to say Hi to Melissa!

Good morning!

Thanks for letting me join in the BFL fun! :p

I spent some time yesterday planning my meals for the next couple days, and that's got me feeling more confident and in control. I haven't worked out at all during this work week (I work 4 10 hour shifts Friday through Monday). I've just been too tired when I get home from work, but I need to start doing at least 20 minutes of SOMETHING.

I'm planning a bold move today at lunch. I packed a BFL sandwich (with light whole grain bread), but didn't have time to cut up salad stuff last night. Sooo, I'm going to take my sandwich to the grocery store and fix a healthy salad. I even have BFL friendly dressing with me! This is a big step for me, because usually leaving work or home for lunch means eating junk of some kind. Progress!! :D

Sherry- thanks for the welcome. Yep, you definitely have some stress to work around and deal with coming up...but you're already ahead of it because you're making plans! ;)

Melissa- nice Mother Day gifts!! :7 about your DD asking for the box back!

Kathy- Cool gifts for you, too! Awesome workouts!

BBL...

Good morning ladies!!! Happy Monday! The rain has returned in full force once again! But I"m not complaining, since we got my veggie garden planted yesterday. Let's just hope those baby plants can withstand the downpour! LOL We planted 6 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants (2 green, 1 red), 4 eggplants, 6 celery, 2 rows of green beans, 2 zucchinni, and 1 cucumber! YUMMY!!!! Can't WAIT!

I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday.

I'm sorry that I'm posting without reading anybody's posts yet. The kids and [font color=red]I did not watch Survivor last night.[/font] I wanted to get them to bed on time, so I got it on my DVR and we're planning on watching it tonight after dinner. So I do NOT want to read any spoilers yet.

This morning's workout kicked off week 2 with my trainer.

Amelia, I think it was you who asked about my menu. I'm learning to love oatmeal, grapefrut, cottage cheese (pureed, of course), flaxseed oil (she has me taking 1 T a day, I mix it in with my scrambled egg whites), green tea (hot), and L-glutamine after my workouts. Basically, what she has me doing for the first 4 weeks is eating what I call "natural carbs". So, instead of eating my tuna with a slice of bread or a wrap, I pair it with an apple. But she also knows about principals I don't know about....like the TIMING of certain foods. For instance, sometimes I'll eat my tuna with a stalk or 2 of celery. Or a snack is a Navel orange. For now, I'm just putting my faith in her and all the rave reviews I've read about her. So far, IT'S WORKING!!! The scale is being super nice, my jeans are all fitting looser, and yesterday's Free Day? Well, NO CRAVINGS. In fact, this is what I ate yesterday:
M1: 3 egg whites, 1 T flax seed oil, 1/5 C quick oatmeal (measured dry)
M2: Navel oragne
M3: 3 oz canned tuna, 2 slices lite bread, 1 T f/f mayo (1 use l/f Miracle Whip), and hot green tea
M4: 100% Whey Protein (shake), banana, 1T natural organic peanut butter
M5: 5 oz grilled chicken breast, large salad, l/f 1000 Island dressing, 1/2 baked potato
M6: L-Glutamine (even though yesterday was a rest day) in my Myoplex Lite Shake

I had NO CRAVINGS all this past week, and that's what she's working on.....eating the right combos of food to avoid getting those urges and energy spikes/falls.

ANYWAY...sorry to ramble.

Today's workout is done:
TM 10 mins, 1.08 miles
Back weight work
TM 20 mins, 2.58 miles

Today, things start to slow down just a bit, then the kids and I are headed to Ohio on Thursday, thru Monday, for a vacation trip. We're meeting up with Lorrie (LSass on these boards) and her family. She and I, along with a few other Catheites will be walking the Cleveland Half Marathon Sunday. I also have a cybe-friend that I met at the Weight Watchers boards about 4 years ago, that I'll be meeting up with for the first time! So today, I'll be running a few small errands to get the kids' affidavit signed to excuse them from school. Packing begins tomorrow. lol

Sorry to ramble, ladies. Especially since I don't want to read your posts because I don't want to hear how Survivor ended! lol

ETA!!! Connie-I just saw that you posted with us. WELCOME ABOARD! So glad you are prepared for lunch today. You've got a great plan, and THAT is a HUGE part of your success with BFL (or any program, really) is to BE PREPARED!!!! NOW LET'S KICK IT!!!!

Gayle

Good Morning Ladies!

Hi Sherry: Wow what a nice day…hang out and do nothing. I got up early and then ended up going back to bed around 10:30am and didn’t get up again until 2PM! I guess all that cleaning on Saturday really tired me out! Plus TOM thing was added to my misery. I felt terrible all day. My DH wanted to take me out for dinner but I just wasn’t up for it. Yup…I still did my usual daily chores. Oh well, if I don’t it won’t get done and I will be hearing the complaining Monday morning.

Good luck this week keeping it together! As Kathy said, one thing at a time. This is the best way to look at it. If you look at the whole picture it will seem overwhelming.
Really great to have your meals planned out ahead of time too!

Hey Melissa: What a cutie your DD is! Glad you had a nice day.
For CC…are you doing all these workouts on your new bike?

Hello Kathy: It seems you are back on track with your workouts. Great job! That is great…new pair of running sneakers! That is motivation for you! Now you can run to Chili’s to use your gift certificate. ;-)

It will be another hectic day here. DD decided to take the later train this morning and this always pushes everything ahead for me!

Workout planned:

Warm up with 20min iTread
GS chest/tri ( yes...this was suppose to have been done the other day! I just didn't get to it)
4DS Bootcamp (cardio only)
4DS abs

Wish me luck!!! Have a good one!
BBL Heidi

Hi Gayle and Connie,

Gayle: Your garden sounds wonderful! Having fresh garden veggies can't be beat!
Your trainer sounds awesome as well! Glad that you are seeing results just in this first week. :7

Hello Connie: Great job planning your meals out ahead of time. Now you need to get that schedule planned out as well. Maybe splitting your workouts in half might help. Do part A before work and part B when you get home. I think once you get started you will want to keep going because you will feel so much better. :)

Time to get DS off to school.
BBL Heidi

Hey girls:) Good Morning!!

I hope everybody had a lovely Mothers day? Mine was good,frustrating but i can't complain too much;-) My MIL was the frustrating part:+

Gayle-What kind of flaxseed oil are you taking? What kind of green tea? Sorry for all the questions:+ Wow,congrats on your success so far,thats AWESOME!!! You Go Girl!

Hey CONNIE!!!! Glad you joined us!:)

Hey to everybody:)

My Dd is out of school today due to the local damage of the tornadoes early sunday morning! The school wasnt damaged so im not quite sure WHY the school was closed? But anyways,about my MIL...she lives next door to me(yep,that close;-)) and she got her feathers in a ruffle yesterday because i invited my family over for a cookout. I hardly EVER invite my family over to my house because of THAT reason! She was mad because i didn't invite her??? This was kinda a mothers day cookout thing , besides we had a cookout with my DH's family last weekend and went out for dinner with her on saturday, so i don't know why she was get upset about it? Anyway,i don't care anymore,the women is impossible to please so why waste time thinking about it?

And get this...i went OUT OF MY WAY yesterday to go buy her a hanging flower basket because my DH FORGOT too(like he always does;-)) and the women didn't even say thank you...OH she gave DH a hug and my kids a hug and thanked them,right in front of me and then turned and sat down! :eek: That kinda hurt my feelings,afterall it was my idea to get her the basket? I will be so glad when we move away from this women! Im sorry to go on about her....i'll stop now;-)

so todays workout is a PW and thats it! I did a 40min PW yesterday morning.

i'll bbl:)

Good Morning,

I hope evereyone had a wonderful Mothers's Day. My kids made me breakfast. I have to laugh. They know I like egg white omelets and oatmeal. They made that plus bacon, yogurt, bananas and toast. I looked at all that food in disbelief. There was no way I was going to eat all that. I snuck the bacon to my DH and saved the yogurt for later.
The part of my meal that cracked me up was the oatmeal. I was out of the regular 1-minute oatmeal so my older DS, 18, saw that there was some steel cut oatmeal in the pantry. He cooked that up and added some protien powder to it. Well, the directions say to cook it for 25 minutes. He cooked it in about 5 minutes. It was hard as a rock and didn't look very appetizing. I hated to waste it b/c he added my very expensive protien powder to it. Kids, Gotta love them.

My workout for Saturday was Muscle Max. I can't even remember the last time I did a full body workout. That workout almost killed me!
Yesterday we just hung around the house and got most of the deck painted. Our deck is huge! Hopefully we will finish this week.

Today's workout is GS BSB.

Sherry - How old will your DS be? My DS will be 16 on Saturday. Good luck with the audit and your 5K. Just take lots of deep breaths and you will get thru it.

Melissa - That's cute about the box. My DD made me a "spoonful of kisses". A plastic spoon wrapped up with hershey kisses.

Kathy - I'm doing GS BSB also, I'm going to skip the cardio for today.

Connie - Welcome to the check-in!

Gayle - Sounds like your trainer knows her stuff. Does she give your weekly menus or is it day by day? Are you enjoying her workouts?

Amelia - It sounds like your are living "Everybody loves Raymond" with the MIL next door:p. Did you get tornadoes? We just had very high winds. Hope to see you at Lorie's Friday!

Heidi - Have fun with your workout!

BBL.

Melissa – What a sweetheart your dautghter is! DH and I were in Panera Bread on Saturday and saw a little girl that looked just like our daughter when she was about 8 or 9. We had to smile and laugh, and of course we had to tell her when she came over yesterday (she’s now 24!)

Welcome Connie! That’s a great idea of taking your sandwich with you and adding a salad. I bet it’s hard to work those long hours, I’m sure your exhausted after that!

Gayle – Your trip to Ohio sounds like so much fun! What a great way to vacation and get a heck of a workout in at the same time, lol. Wow, the half marathon walk sounds super and a great way to catch up with friends and meet new friends. Your trainer sounds like she’s giving you prep for a fitness competition….GO Gayle, you’re going to be ripped!

Amelia – I’m so sorry to hear that your MIL is so difficult. Sometimes it’s just impossible to make a person happy if they don’t want to be. Just keep being your sweet and lovely self and hopefully someday she’ll come around. I’m glad to hear that you had a great cookout with your family though!

Heidi – LOL, thanks for the laugh. Yep, quite a combo…sneakers and a food gift card. They kind of cancel each other out, don’t they! I’m glad you’re feeling better today (maybe you can get a raincheck on that dinner?) ;)

Carolyn – That is so funny about the oatmeal, lol! I’m actually trying to chew through my first batch of steel cut oatmeal. I tried soaking it last night and then cooking it for the recommended time this morning but it’s still “gritty” and chewy. Is there a trick to getting it softer or is supposed to be this way? LOL, I think I’m sticking to my Old Fashioned Oats. ;)

Well, I’ve been thinking and evaluating the last week or so since the marathon. My thoughts are that I’m doing counter productive workouts in that I was trying to build as much muscle as possible AND run faster and longer. So I think I’m switching gears up for the next 13 weeks until the 50k trailrun in August. The first month will be one three day split (GS or PS) and one total body (MIS, MM, or a Body Pump). The second month will be 3 total body workouts and the third month will be circuit workouts (Bootcamp, Drillmax, Terminator, etc). The cardio will mostly be running again in prep for the race. I want to concentrate on speed just a little bit for the 50k and then REALLY concentrate on picking up some speed for the Marine Corps marathon in October.

Edited to say hi to Belinda! :)

Kathy

LOL! I'm SLOWLY scanning down the posts to make sure I don't see the word SURVIVOR!! LOL

Real quickly:

Amelia-I'm drinking Lipton Green Tea. SOmetimes decaf, sometimes regular. Flaxseed oil...I'm using Barlean's Flax Oil. That's what she recommended.

Sorry to hit and run!

Gayle

Connie - welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a good lunch planned there.

Gayle - glad to hear that you got your veggies planted. I hope they survive the rain.

Heidi - yes, I'm using my bike for the CC workouts. I'm really enjoying it.

Amelia - sorry to hear about your MIL "issues". That can't be easy. I hope it didn't ruin your Mother's Day!

Carolyn - "spoonfull of kisses"...that is sooo cute!! You must have looked hungry yesterday morning! I did Muscle Max last weekend and it almost killed me. :eek:

Belinda - Hi!!

Kathy - that must have been a nice trip down memory lane to see someone that resembled your DD when she was young! Looks like you've got a good 13 weeks worth of workouts planned there. :)

Meals for today:

M#1: 2 slices w/w toast, 1T natural pb & 1c skim milk
M#2: apple & 1/4 c almonds
M#3: salad w/1/2 c kidney beans, veggies, 1T walnuts & balsamic vinagarette dressing
M#4: w/w wrap, 2 slices turkey breast & veggies
M#5: 6oz salmon, 1/2 c brown rice & steamed brocolli and/or green beans
M#6: banana protein shake (after LB workout)

Hello,

Quick check-in,

Just finished the Incline Challenge from Shape.
Total miles 3 384cals.

Will have to do rest of workout later. It is now 12:48 and I have to rush out to work. This is what happens when DD decides to take an even later train!!! It just throws my whole day off. :-(

Be Back Later
Heidi

Oh..meals so far:
B: protein pancakes from Eat-clean
L: Homemade chicken soup. (DH made this on Saturday :9 )

Hello BFLers!

Gayle- Yay for no cravings!! Hope your OH trips is lots of fun!

Heidi- I like the idea of splitting up my workouts, but I have to get up at 5:45 to get ready for work...and just can't imagine getting up at 5 to w/o, shower etc etc. I'm still recovering from my hysterectomy, too, so I've got to take it a bit easy. I definitely DO need to start doing workout after work, though. Oh no! Sorry you had to do chores on Mother's Day!! x(

Amelia- Oh dear, so sorry to hear about your difficult MIL. I hope the BBQ was still fun for you and your family. ;)

Carolyn- :7 at faux instant steel oats! He tried, he gets credit for that much! ;)

Hi Belinda and Melissa!

Kathy- thanks for the welcome and understanding about the long hours. I have a pretty easy mostly sitting job, but being "trapped" for 10 hours can still get rough. ;) 50 as in 5-0 K marathon? Marine Marathon? As in USMC? WOW! Kudos!! I'm totally impressed...and baffled all at once. :+ :7

Here's the menu so far today:
M1: 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 c blueberries, 1 T walnuts, 1/2 c 2% milk (I forgot to bring milk to work with me and all we had was 2% x( ) <will make sure to only eat 1/2 c oatmeal from now on>
M2: 1/2 chewy Kashi bar, 1 hard boiled egg white and 2/3 of the yolk
M3: 2 slice light ww bread, 3 oz natural deli ham, smear of light mayo, salad with lots of veggies and lowfat ranch (instead of balsamic spray dressing I had)
M4: 2 T trail mix and 1/2 banana

BBL...

Hey guys! Still slowly paging thru your posts so I don't read a Survivor Spoiler! LOL

Kathy-you put into words EXACTLY how I feel when I'm training for a long race. Running starts to become the main goal, and that's not what my overall goal is with my workouts. Which brings me to my next dilemma! LOL I currently have $2500 in a separate fundraising account that I have on the side, SPECIFICALLY for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (this includes the $2000+ that we raised during last week's coin drive). I emailed my rep at the L&LS for a list of upcoming events. There are several, but I'm positive I do NOT want to do a full marathon. The half is crossing my mind, as is the triatholon. It's not a FULL tri, so that makes it tempting to me. LOL Just tossing some ideas around.

Here's my menu so far today:
M1: Myoplex Lite shake with L-glutamine
M2: 3 egg whites, 1 T flax seed oil, 1/2 C (measured dry) oatmeal, hot green tea
M3: whey protein shake, banana
M4: 4 oz. grilled chicken, large tossed salad, 3T r/f thousand island dressing, hot green tea

Gayle

I've got a question...

I just ate M4 about half an hour ago, and I'm really hungry already. It's ok to eat another mini meal, right?? Eating when you're hungry makes sense....right?

Melissa – I always enjoy reading your menus! I’m so glad you’re enjoying your bike with CC workouts.

Heidi – What did you think of the Shape Incline Challenge? I thought it was pretty good. Oh, there are a couple of interesting treadmill programs in this month’s Fitness magazine (I picked it up to read the At Home Workouts article). I’ll post them when I get a chance.

Connie – I have a desk job too and sometimes I think it’s harder than doing something standing or moving all day. I used to work in a bank and go up and down stairs to the different departments and I miss that…. I ran a marathon a week ago and I have a 50k (31 mile) race in August and another marathon in October (Marine Corps in D.C.). I’m really looking forward to both!

Gayle – Yeah, it’s hard when you have all these things you enjoy doing (running, lifting, step, etc) and feel confined to doing one thing. But I learned my lesson and know that in order to do one thing to the best of my ability….I have to give it my full attention. I’m planning on taking a little break from doing distance running after the October marathon and concentrating on STS for a full 12 weeks.

I think your choice should be what you feel you’ll enjoy. If you like swimming and biking (I know you enjoy running, lol!) then give the triathlon a try! It’s nice to have some cross training going on so you don’t burn out on the running. How long are you signed up for with the trainer? Is it your goal to build muscle right now or lean out? (From what you posted, I’m guessing lean out?) What a great bonus to have the fundraiser money to work with a charity organization. I see so many Team in Training participants at the marathons and half marathons and they look like they’re enjoying every minute of it!

Edited to answer Connie (we posted at the same time). I think it's fine as long as you end up eating your planned meals at the end of the day. Just stretch out the time between this meal and the next so you're not starving when you go to bed. ;)

Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.