BFL 1/19/08 Weekend edition

HPLECTRA

Cathlete
Hello and Goodmorning to you all,

Just getting this thread started....

It is going to be a cold one here! HATE THE COLD! This calls for making soups and anything baked to keep the house toasty. :)

What is your workout plans for today?

BBL Heidi

Good morning Heidi -

I've been sitting here waiting for one of you gals to start this thread! :) I'm a little shocked that I'm up so early on a Saturday again, geez, gals what have you done to me!?!

Nope haven't worked out as of yet. I had two glasses of wine last night and woke up with a horrible headache! So, I'm downing some Advil and juice right now. That should teach me!!!

I'm planning on getting on the elliptical here in a few minutes. Wanted to run outside today, but it's cold AND raining!

Do any of you use sparkpeople to track your calories? I know BFL isn't about calorie counting, but I was just curious.

I'll be back after my workout!
Michelle

Hello again,

I didn't get in that iTread or abs last night. My DS came over to do his laundry and hang-out with us. We ended up going out to checkout a new restaurant called The Cheesecake Factory. It was completely packed! Forget that one. I hate crowds and waiting for a table.

We stopped in at burger king for the boys and I ate home. I had my chicken dinner that I had made earlier. It was pretty good but I would add more veggies and rice to it. It was eating soup made with taco sauce.

Gayle: Thanks for the advice on what to have with the quiches. I heat these up and have them with salsa...yum.:9

Melissa: Did you get to do your workout yesterday... Imax 2 Blast premix?

Jennifer: How is your DD?

Susan: Hope you and your friend are doing ok....

Carolyn: How was your cardio workout yesterday? What did you end up doing?

Belinda: So....what have you put on your mp3? Any interesting iTreads?

Sherry: Free day yesterday right? ;-)

Hello to Kathy, Jean and Michelle.:7

BBL after my workout. Heidi :D

Hey Michelle,

We were posting at the same time...

Ouch on that headache...drink plenty of water to flush out the wine. If I didn't drink enough water during the day or after having a glass of wine I usually end up with a headache too.
Hope you feel better later.

As far as counting calories...I don't really. I have a general idea of what a food has and go by serving size. I haven't heard of sparkpeople until now. ;-)

I hope exercising will help your headache. I run until mine is gone when I have a really bad one. Yeah...a little weird.

Going to get my running clothes on and do an iTread now. Oh..and abs that I didn't get to last night.
BBL Heidi

Good morning Michelle and Heidi!! DD got up pretty early today, she has a horrible cough, so I'm dragging a little right now. Might have to give in to a cup of coffee. But that means me going out to get it and it is COLD out there.

Heidi - hunker down this weekend, I think tomorrow is going to be even COLDER. I did not end up doing Imax 2 blast only yesterday because it was my UB day, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm going to do it today though...wish me luck!!!!

Michelle - I used to use Sparkpeople. I really liked it. You can add your own food in there if it isn't already in their database and make a "favorites list" of the foods you eat most often. I found it really helpful.

I made the mini egg quiche last night in a pie plate and it came out AWESOME. I used brocolli, onion and tomato this time. Off to have a slice for breakfast..:9 .

BBL!!

Heidi - I KNEW there was someone who said they run for their headaches!! It was you! Okay, just did 20 minutes on the elliptical and I feel GREAT!! That must be the trick, getting the oxygen moving.

I know it is my cardio day, but since it is Saturday and I don't have to get ready for work, I just feel like working out. Okay, now I know something is wrong with me -- ha ha! Okay, off to find something else to do. :)

Belinda - I just started doing sparkpeople - I think I like it. I think I need to see what kind of calories I'm putting in my body. :) Take care of DD - poor little thing!!

Okay, the Cheesecake Factory?! I love that place. They have awesome food AND cheesecake. Be thankful the place was too busy, you could have eaten a whole days worth of calories there. :) Good job on not eating the burger king!! eek!!

BBL -
Michelle

Melissa-I'll have to try the quiche in a pie plate now! Thanks for the review!

Michelle-why were you just WAITING? LOL You should have started us off! Now...shake off that headache let's get the day started! As for sparkpeople, I used it fora very short time...I just didn't like the 'task' of counting/inputting calories. BUT let us know if you decide to use it and what you think! (ETA:AHHHHHHHHH...never mind! I see you DID shake it off! Great job!)

Heidi-good job foregoing BK. Which iTread did you end up doing???

ETA: What is wrong with ALesia, Belinda? I must have missed a post somewhere. I'm going to find out!

Like many fo you, it's gonna be a COOOLLLLDDD weekend here for us as well. Today in the 30s, but tomorrow in the low 20s with BITTER COLD WINDS! I'm going to the store today for a few things so I can cook tomorrow and stock my fridge for next week. I don't plan on going ANYWHERE in tomorrow's cold! I HATE BEING COLD! LOL

OK, with younger DS at a sleepover last night, I was able to sleep in just a bit later this morning before my workout. I can workout with older DS in the house (and awake, lol), but when the TWO of them are together, awake, in the house, TOGETHER, I just can't concentrate because they nag each other! LOL

So this morning's workout was iTread 25 (40min, Top 40) and I KILLED the HILLS on it today! I took them faster than Grace suggested and kicked it OUT! Then I did abs from LIS/HIS dvd. I played just bit, then, with the bis/tris from Boot Camp. I'm not sure. I just can't get into the new 4DS this way. The abs and the bi/tri sections I did, she didn't work to the beat of the music all that much, and it kept throwing me off. Oh well. Onward.

Today's plan: get DS at 11am. Store for some groceries. Basketball game at 3:30. Quiet evening.

BBL to check in again!

Gayle

p.s. I'm sporting some good DOMS in the bootay today!

Yup, I did shake it off Gayle. :) I just finished push/pull as well. That is my all time favorite workout -- and I haven't gotten to do it in 3 weeks -- so I just threw it in today.

I've got the DOMS in the calves -- did calves from 4DS yesterday morning. Wowza!!

Sparkpeople is a lot of work. I've got most of my food into my favorites so that makes it a little easier. I was just curious as to how much food I'm really eating. I will NOT get discouraged because the scale is not moving -- my body is changing -- I'm getting stronger -- and that's what is important.

Yesterday when I put that 40 lb bar bell on my shouders and did leg lifts, I thought about all those firm tapes I started with and I had those little pink 5 lb weights on my shoulder for leg lifts. Egads!!! :)

Better go make my SHAKE!! :)

Michelle

Michelle - I have just re-discovered Push Pull. On my leg day this week I did the LB 2x premix and went really heavy. Then just last night I did the UB 2x premix. I am so feeling it today. It was a nice change to PUB. And I like the way the premix is set up.

Isn't that an AWESOME feeling to look back and realize what you USED to lift compared to what you lift NOW?!?! I used 20lb dumbells for chest last night and when I was putting them back on the rack, I remembered back when it was a struggle to use the 10's!!

Off to shower and go shopping for little nephew's birthday party tomorrow. I really want to stay in my jammies, but I'd better get moving!

Good morning!

I slept in today, almost until 7:00! Weekdays I'm up at 5:00.

So far today, I've done Drill Max cardio, got the kids to CPR class, pulled together the Girl Scout cookie order that needs to be postmarked today, and have a box of outgrown clothes to ship to my sister. Wanted to take the dog for a walk, but at 13 degrees right now, I'm thinking that can wait a few more hours.

Heidi - Yes, considered yesterday my free day. I was wiped by the end of the day, and my urge for junk food was strong. But I was pleasantly surprised how Steak 'n Shake had change their menu for the healthier. the kids even wanted fruit on the side in stead of fries!

Michell - Glad the headache is already gone. A little bit of exercise can also really help my moods. I don't count calories. I've found it too consuming to stick with it. That's why I'm liking BFL. Much easier to manage and keep track.

Melissa - Hope DD starts feeling better soon. I need to try those mini quiches this weekend. Everyone is raving about them.

Gayle - Hooray for the DOMS! I'm actually disappointed that I don't have any from GS BSB yesterday.

OK, dog ancy to go out. Maybe we will take that walk after all.

BBL!

Hey guys. I'm stalling. I'm sitting here with my wet hair wrapped in a towel! By the time I get to dry it, it will most likely be untamable! LOL. That's okay...it will just make for interesting Week 3 photos tomorrow morning! lol

OK.....I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I want to proceed starting Monday. My official half marathon training begins Monday. As I've said before, each Thursday I will be emailed the next week's running schedule. I've been really REALLY thinking hard about how I can incorporate it into the BFL workouts. I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MOMENTUM and I don't want to veer too far away from the BFL workouts. At the same time, I know that I have to really take care not to over train my legs. I'm not all THAT concerned since it's just a half marathon, but in the past 3 years, each time I train for anything longer than a 10K (6miles), I tend to lose focus on my weight workouts and I tend to start eating more. After asking my running friends over at the BFL tracker, I've gotten some really good input. I think what I'm going to do is keep my weight workouts on M/W/F. No changing that. Then I will add in whatever training runs are on the schedule, and add them onto my week. I'll keep abs with T/TH/Sat workouts. As for leg weights, someone at BFL Tracker suggested that on the weeks that I have 2 lower body weight workouts, I should do one heavy (BFL-style) and the other one endurance. I have to admit...this made me jump for JOY because the first thing that came to mind was doing ALL OF B&G again! lol I LOVE Cathe lower body work. I really think this may be the answer. I'd like to do my long run on Saturday, but I'm not sure how that will work with my kids. Whether I do them Sat or Sun, either way I will need to have them stay with friends for that time. THAT'S THE HARDEST PART of all this...figuring out what to do with the kids! SO...to summarize (sorry for being long-winded), here is what my week MAY look like next week:

Monday: Upper Body Weights, 6 miles, easy
Tuesday: 4-6 miles, easy, ABS
Wednesday: Lower Body Weights (endurance), 4-7 mile run with HILLS
Thursday: 4-6 miles, easy, ABS
Friday: Upper Body Weights
Saturday: 7 mile long run, ABS
Sunday: Rest/Free Day

OH! I've just so many things going thru my head right now about this. And that's what worries me. Sometimes thinking TOO much is not a good thing. OH! WHo am I kidding? The above schedule is likely to change as well.

Kathy-I'd be interesting in hearing what kind of weekly schedule YOU're maintaing for weights (specifically lower body) and your running! I could really use your input on this topic, when you get a chance. How many days a week do you run, including your long run?

SORRY TO RAMBLE, ladies, but my mind is just running in a MILLION directions today!

Gayle

Hey, Sherry. I LOVE your avatar picture! You've done a LOT today already, and I can barely get myself upstairs to my bathroom to dry my hair! LOL

Melissa-I have to say THANK YOU again for our little pact. Last night the homemade carrot cupcakes were CALLING MY NAME, I looked at them, and actually said OUT LOUD, "nope, I promised Melissa". LOL You should have seen DS looking at me! They'll still be around the house tomorrow, anyway!

OK......time to dry this hair!

Gayle

Good Morning,

I just finished 4DS kickbox Cardio only. I love this workout! So much fun!!

Heidi - Yesterday I did the Blast Only premix from IMAX2. It's a heart pumper for sure. Has anyone else tried it yet?

I make mini quiches yesterday and they sure were good. Finished them off for breakfast this morning.

Off to Walmart/Sams to find a scale. Weigh in tomorrow!!

BBL

Carolyn

Gayle - that is TOO funny!!! ONE MORE DAY, then you can have those carrot cupcakes!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! My DH tried to tempt me with Hot Tamales last night, but I didn't cave.

Hi Carolyn & Sherry!

Okay, off to Target. BBL!!

Back inside. Lots of neighbors out with their dogs, too, so I'm not the only crazy one. I forgot the temperature was supposed to keep dropping today. It's down to 12 now.

Heidi - Sorry you don't like the cold. My favorite running weather is about 25 degrees with a light snow.

Michelle - I agree about the awesome feeling when you find out how much more you can lift.

Gayle - I agree with the advice of going heavy near days when your run is shorter but endurance when for the longer runs. You've come such a long way already. Just remember to listen to your body if it starts to say slow down (which I'm sure you will) and keep the protein up.

Carolyn - I love 4DS Kickbox. I think it's already become one of my favorites. DD also likes doing it with me. She gets the choreography so much easier than step.

Hey, which ones do all of you kids like doing with all of you?

Gotta get running - all those errands must be done before I get the kids.

Morning (or should I say afternoon) ladies!

I got up late this morning (a little after 8:00 am) and was dragging. I logged on and seen you all had been busy bees *just getting it done* and I felt guilty, lol. I got my lazy bum down into the basement and ran my 8 miles (using iTread 26 and the first half of iTread 24 twice....got about half way through the second time). I feel much better, like I don't have it hanging over my head. :)

Heidi - I hate the cold! When we retire, we're heading to Arizona! Good job on resisting BK, I've never been to Cheese Cake Factory but hear it's quite good.

Michelle - I use FitDay off and on. I usually plug in a new recipe to check out the calories and ratios and just remember that... I used to log diligently but have gotten away from it. Great job on the elliptical and Push/Pull!

Melissa - I hope DD feels better today! I'm going to try the quiches in a pie plate this weekend, too. I found a recipe on the YaYa website for *baked oatmeal* that's pretty tasty. I'll post it later.

Sherry - Great workout, you're making me want to pull out Drill Max again, lol. BRRRRR, I cannot run outside when it's below freezing!

Carolyn - Great workout! Which cardio did you do the step or the kickbox/bootcamp? Yikes, I really need to master HIS. Oh, and I CANNOT walk out of Sams without spending at least $100. Guess that's why I don't go that often, lol.

Gayle - Your schedule looks GREAT! I have one of those lower bodies that only responds to really heavy weights. I'm small framed and have a hard time building muscle so it's a must for me to keep it heavy. My plan is to keep to the BFL plan and schedule my runs around it. In week 9 I have to double up a day with a run and lifting (because I start adding in a bike ride on the weekend).

So...my plan is to keep it at 3 runs per week (minimum of 6 miles on two runs, then my long run). I'd rather do a long run, a semi-long run, and a 6 miler than adding in the extra day right now. I find my endurance is much better for a marathon if I keep my base run *longer*. I hope that makes sense. To sum it up, I'm staying heavy on lower body (even when it's twice a week) and alternating tempo and speed during the week with my long run being *easy*.

Ooops, came back to ask you which half marathon are you running Gayle? :)

BBL, we're heading out to see the movie "Cloverfield" in a bit. I'm debating whether I want to make this free day or not....guess it all depends on how good that popcorn smells. :9 :)

Kathy

Kathy-I'm running The Runner's World Half in April. This will be my 3rd year and I know (and LOVE) the course SOOOOOO much! (I think there are a few spots left if you'd like to join me! HA!) So...as an experienced runner, you manage successfully on 3 weekly runs and a long run on the weekend? That's MY IDEA of a perfect week for training, but I was worried that just those 4 runs wouldn't be enough. Now I'm thinking I should also back it down to 3 weekly runs and the long run on Saturday. (see how easily persuaded I am sometimes? LOL) I have a pair of legs that can take a lot of work. So in the past, with my training, I hadn't had a problem with heavy weight work during training, so THAT'S also a possiblity that I considered to keep the heavy for the first half of the training schedule and then switch 1 weeky LB workout to endurance-based. Anyway, THANKS SO MUCH for your input! OK...enough waffling back and forth. I'll just GO WITH THE FLOW for Pete's sake! lol

Time for my next meal (egg quiche and a slice of toast).

Tomorrow I'll be trying out a new crockpot recipe: Turkey Black Bean Chili...I'll share the recipe after I taste it!

Gayle

Good afternoon ladies.

Just back real quick to post my meals:

M#1: egg white quiche & small red potato
M#2: apple & string cheese
M#3: salad: 1/4 c edamame, 1/4 c red kidney beans, 1/4 c cranberries, lettuce, green onion, cukes & shredded carrots
M#4: w/w tortilla, 2 oz taco beef, 1T lowfat cheddar & 1T salsa
M#5: pork chop, 1/2 c brown rice & brocolli
M#6: 1/2 c oatmeal w/ 1/2 c 1%

Do my meals look too big to you guys? Depending on the scale tomorrow, I might have to re-think if I should make one more meal more snack-like. Most days, I have 5 meals & 1 snack.

Looking forward to that recipe Gayle...;-) !!

Hi girls,

Michelle** sorry you woke up with a horrible headache! I love wine! I will have some tomorrow! I do drink every one glass of wine I drink 2 glasses of water! Hope you enjoyed your workout this mooring!

Heidi** I hope you enjoyed your run this morning! I love Cheesecake Factory! The first time I ate there was in Las Vegas! I had to bring that one back to our PX on post yesterday! There was something wrong with the sound! We couldn’t turn it up, I couldn’t hear anything!! I think iTrain is on hold for now! Due to deployments most off there stuff is sold out! I will have my DD check in the states and then send my one! My DH lets me use his ipot!

Mellissa** I am glad the mini egg quiche came out nice! I will try to make them in a pie plate next week! Nice workout!

Gayle**what do you mean? What is wrong with Alesia? Nice workout!

Sherry** nice job with DM! Have fun with your kids today!

Carolyn** glad you had fun with 4DS kickbox!

Have a great day!
Belinda

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.