Baby Cheetah Here!

BeeLvr

Cathlete
Hi All!

You now have a new addition to the Cheetah check-in! A little cub, I am! I am just getting back into running. A little history.....

I am presently in the U.S. Air Force assigned to the Maryland Air National Guard. Prior to taking a fitness test, we had to answer a questionaire with one of the questions being, "does any member of your immediate family has a heart condition?" I've always answered "yes" (my father had a heart attack), so I was prohibited from doing the mile and 1/2 run. We had to do the step for two minutes (yeah, that's another story in itself) or the 3-mile walk. This has been for the past 13 years. I really got into the Cathe or Firm workouts and any other type of weight-training. A few years back, I had an accident where I injured my back. "Luckily" I healed nicely and didn't get booted out of the military. The only time I actually ran before all of this was when I was in the Army prior to the Air Force. During that time, I "had" to run as a requirement. I never really had an interest in the sport.

Anyway, back to the present. The Air National Guard just came out with a requirement that everyone now has to run (unless "you" specifically have a medical issue, not your, say, father). I have actually been contemplating in running because a couple of my friends run and my husband has been thinking about it, too. I actually started walk/running a couple of days ago, started a log, and got a running plan off of the Internet. Aside from the fact I have to run for my fitness test in November (1 1/2 miles), I have signed up for the Baltimore Marathon in October. I planned on walking that.

To get my best score for my age in the Air Force, I need 12:30 (8 min mile). I never in my life ever ran an 8 min mile. I think the best I did in the Army was a 10 min mile. I'm pretty psyched that I have a plan and you guys to support me.

Sorry for the long story......

"Cub" :7

Heather,

Welcome to the cheetah thread & thanks for sharing your background & goals. The cheetahs are a friendly, knowledgeable, and supportive group of varying ages and speeds. I'm probably more of a turtle, but that's OK, there are no cubs among us - we're all cheetahs ;), and we're glad to have ya on board. :)

Why not post this under today's check-in so your introduction doesn't get buried under all the other threads?

~Cathy :)

Hi Heather and Welcome...:)...I agree with everything Cathy said. I myself have run for about 30 years...yep, I am 48! And my favorite quote is "The older I get, the faster I used to be" I run about a 10 min pace these days, just getting over some nagging injuries and being old!!! I have no doubt once you put your mind and body to it, an 8 min pace will be very doable...:)

Thank you for your comments! :) I will be 44 in a couple of weeks and think I'm doing pretty good. I always feel motivated when I read the different posts and am certain I will be able to reach my goals. I don't think I'm going to stop at the marathon, either. I've been searching the web for upcoming Maryland events I can possibly participate in.

Pretty excited about this.

Thank you, again, for your support.:)

Heather....thank you....you have made my day! Finishing a marathon is one of the most wonderful feelings, whether you walk or run...:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.