April 09 check in Weekend 4th-5th

Kathy36

Cathlete
Good morning ladies..

Getting our weekend thread started..Sorry I was MIA yesterday..Hubby was home using my computer for work...

I worked out with the last disc in meso 2...My lats are feeling DOMS today for sure. I went heavy for me with 35s for back work in the 80% 1RM and my weighted gloves...

Today is Kick punch & crundh..

talk to you later!!!

Hey Kathy (Kathe!)...

Yay for DOMS and KPC today! ... I wondered where you were yesterday! ... You were missed.

Today I had a MAJOR surprise: DOMS in my UPPER BACK from Disc 24! I don't think I've EVER had DOMS in my back before , even with those 75 lb back rows! :eek: So I'm happy, buttttt.... they are kind of adding to my misery. The "cold" that I caught from Zach seems to have magnified 10 fold into a Sinus "thing". My sinuses are killing me and all clogged up, my nose just drips, at will, unexpectedly! (Ewww!). I feel crappy. I'm thinking there's no way my head will tolerate KPC, even though my mind WANTS to. I just did the Neti Pot, and I thought I was better, but now my head is starting to throb again. HELP! I'm a bad patient! ... Zach told me it's Karma, because I had no sympathy for him this week (he wanted to stay home from school because he sneezed and had a tickly throat.... BUT, he was well enough to play outside with friends :mad:. I told him to suck it up!). So yes, Karma has bit me in the .. you know what.

Debating on if I can tolerate work or not...

will be hanging online today... so if you wanna chat!...

Later!

Good morning all! I guess it's practically not morning for a lot of you. No alarms for more than a week -- whoooo-hooooo!!!! I slept in until I don't even know what time this morning -- I think I was working out by 6:30, but I'm not even sure -- 'cause I don't have to know! I'm so happy. If I were Chris I'd be putting up a picture of some cute happy dancing guy right here.

Kathe! Glad to see you back.

Chris, sorry you are miserable! but I'm glad to hear about your back doms (backdoms?!). I like that your son understands about karma, and clearly he does understand. ;)

Sounds like you had fun at the movies yesterday -- I've got to take the boys to that sometime this week -- the previews looked fun.

I started meso 2! Wow, those heavy weights are tough -- even if they aren't much heavier than I've gone (well, shoulders and triceps). Did you guys find that true? I just can't seem to go much heavier on shoulders/triceps/biceps -- the smaller muscles. And then on chest I couldn't go nearly as heavy as they wanted me to, and I felt like I was doing too much of the work with my arms, not my chest -- you know what I mean? Does anyone have a rack? I'm really thinking I need one, but I really don't want to add one, since my workout room is the family room/kids play room. But, it's getting marginally dangerous already. Travis got up partway through my workout and he said "it's funny -- the guys have bigger muscles than the girls, but how did they get them using smaller weights?" :) I did notice that one guy had 30 pound dumbbells for shoulder work -- wow!

Good morning Vilma/Ivy/Hottie...... Hottie, you said something funny yesterday that I laughed about during my workout when I remembered it, and now I've forgotten it again -- oh well! :eek:

Ok, gotta run.... have a great day!

-Beth

Back again...

Just finished kick, punch & crunch..Glad I am done. I also did some housecleaning this morning...vacuuming and bathrooms. Still have more to do. But, i've got some errands to do then Lauren has choir practice and the choir is singing in mass tonight. So, busy afternoon..

Chris: I am feeling it in my upper back too. I usually don't either..I do hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe a light cardio today would be in order or a rest day..Feel better!! Your son is funny; it is something my kids would say..LOL!! That movie you saw looks good..

Beth: Meso 2 is tough!!! Wait until week 4 at 80% OUCH!! No I don't have a rack. So, I do the tubing option...not sure if I am working as hard as I would with the rack though. But, that thing is too big for workout space which is also our family room...

ok...now time to get to the shower, lunch then errands..

Joanne! I'm sorry -- didn't mean to neglect you. I was using hubby's laptop in the kitchen, and he was standing over me waiting for me to finish and the pressure was just too much. :)

Kathe, the rack vs. tubing.... did you not have trouble getting the barbell in position for chest work without a rack? That's what I had trouble with this morning -- sounds like you are thinking about pullups since you mentioned tubing.

-Beth

Hey ...

Still feeling like a pile of doggy-doo... I called in sick tonight. Had to. Yep! I'm riding the "Karma Train" today, baby!!!
2gwb921.gif

Hey, Beth! I finally found the Dr. Fitness & The Fat Guy Podcast that mentioned you!!! too cool! I'm listening to the lady with the diabetes cookbook now. It's interesting. I hope Cathe goes on for an interview!!...

YES! I felt that the Meso 2 weights were VERY heavy too. I was failing on the last 1-2 reps on almost all the exercises, esp. upper body. (Not lower). Just go to failure. You'll surpriise yourself !! Actually I do have a weight bench, I should use for my barbell. The chest flies were really hard for me with the heavy dumb bells though. Not sure I can go heavier (with Meso 3). Travis is very observant!... I've noticed those guys use TINY weights sometimes! :p ... If you go see Monsters vs Aliens, do the 3d one, it's worth it!

Hey..here's a funny dancing guy for ya:

orjnfq.gif

Kathy
: Ya, weird about the upper back DOMS. I wonder what it was? the pullovers ya think?

I didn't do any workout today. My head would not tolerate it, just the thought of anything! I'll pick it up for next week and do some cardios. Definitely KPC, because I was looking forward to that one!

It's funny, i was telling DH that you KNOW I'm sick when I don't do my workout, and I don't even feel like eating chocolate! That was my deciding factor for calling out from work... LOL!!

hey I wrote this hours ago but the forum servers were down and then I went to unpack some...only thing that has changed is that I'm too pooped to do any lifting and I realize how moving makes me want to throttle my husband:
Howdy -- I just did about 2/3 of BM2. I want to do the rest later but I feel bad wiht Joe hefting all the stuff into the car while I get to work out :). I did nothing yesterday but eat badly but I'm trying to make up for it today. Everyday is a new day right? I have to do shoulders, bis, and tris later and I'm not sure which abs workout I'll do since I'm still sore from thursday! I wonder if I found the right level for me re: ab workouts. I'm going to shower and head over to the east side (pasadena) soon to clean up and prep the place for handsome handyman.

Kathe -- Is KPC a nice break from the heavy lifting of STS? Sounds like a nice fun workout to do in them midst of a strength training heavy rotation.

Chris -- have you thought of acupuncture for the sinuses? I'm not a huge eastern over western medicine person but I'm also about whatever works. my sinuses move around like crazy when I workout. I don't know how many times during recovery parts of Imax2 I've run to the bathroom sink to clean out my nose or that nasty drop gets in the way of my workout...(Sorry if that was TMI!). Oh and my mom told me when I was little that karma doesn't come back at mother's for the disciplining of their children because karma is a mom too (I think I translated that right).

Beth -- well, I'm sure you'll remember what I said eventually! :) Joe thinks you need to learn the true art of sleeping in btw. (ok, I think all of you guys need to learn that a little bit too :) )

Ok, off the the new home!

Hey Beth: Sorry, yes I was talking about the pullups and chinups. I used dumbbells for the chest press. What is the bar called they use for the pullups and chinups? That is what I don't have...

Chris: Hope you are feeling better today...I think it was the pullovers. They always make me feel the upper back. Did you notice that exercise worked the triecps good too?

Hottie: I hear ya on the moving stress. Hubby and I did alot of "discussing" during our moves..Yes, I enjoyed KPC after all the lifting..

Ok, today is a rest day then recovery week next week. Are you glad Chris? I am!!

Good Morning, Girls!

I'm so glad I rested last night and didn't go into work. The headache/sinus pain is pretty much gone, but I have a lot of head/sinus congrestion still. I'm debating on whether I should do a little KPC Premix or rest , since I'm going into work tonight. Mentally I really want to do the workout AND physically I feel like I could.

I asked this on OD, and I'm asking you, what would YOU do?

Kathy: I wasn't so ready for a recovery week like I was for Meso 1, BUT.. now with this sinus/cold thing I've got going on, it's come at a good time! Plus, we're doing Easter dinner here on Sunday, so I have a bunch of runnign around to do this week. (Plus getting the Easter basket shopping done!?!). I read something on STS forum from Cathe about how Meso 3 is SUPPOSED to be. She said that we're only supposed to lift about 9 reps before failing. So it's going to be heavY stuff! I'm kind of looking forward to it in a scary kind of way!

Hottie: I thought the forums were just being weird for ME yesterday. Good for you for getting in HSC!! It is stressful to move, plus you get tired out, and cranky. Understandable! Hmmm... i've not even heard of acupuncture for my sinuses. Where would they do that? At a spa? I'm a little leary of people sticking needles into my face, and are they CLEAN needles? That kind of creeps me out on more than one level! LOL! .... See, that is the very reason I was thinking a little sweat would help me out today, get the "juices flowing" like they do when you work out! I like your Mom's phylosophy on Karma and moms! Good point!! I will make sure to tell zach that today. Although he's been super nice to me already, asking if I'm feeling better.

Off to ponder on if I'll work out or not..... "to be or not to be"...

TO BE!

I did a very shortened KPC, the 41 min premix, includes Abs on the ball. It was enough! I liked the sweat, my head felt ok, but it did poop me out. Just enough!

Have a good SUnday, friends!!! :eek:

Hi Everyone!

Chris, good for you for working out -- sounds like it was the right thing. I find it really hard to work out when my head is in that state. It is really good you didn't go to work last night, I think!

Re: acupuncture -- I've had it done a few times -- the needles are definitely clean and they won't necessarily go in your face. I was having my hip helped, and they put them in down my back and the back of my legs. It doesn't hurt at all -- you really sort of barely feel it. Where to get it done? A reputable acupuncture place -- perhaps you guys don't have one???? Funny enough, Hottie, this was years ago and my hip started hurting after moving!!!! So, we've come full circle, somehow. I also liked your mom's karma comment. I'll have to remember that.

I did a cc mish-mosh this morning -- my hips hurt -- I'm getting old. I'm wondering if I ought to trade running for nordic walking -- it's supposed to be a great workout. I don't know how much longer I can keep running......

Not much on the agenda today, but it would be nice to clean my desk! Have a good one!

-Beth

P.S. Chris, thanks for letting me know you ran before legs -- that's how I ended up scheduling it. I can't wait to do legs tomorrow -- fun to have it in the middle of the week!

-Beth

Chris: If it were me..I would probably do the workout. Especially if you are feeling good..BUt, listen to your body..Meso 3 is scaring me more now. I think we will be experiencing some serious DOMS!!!

Oops Chris..I guess I should have read the second page of posts before responding. Anyway, good for you. Something is better than nothing and you are still feeling good!!

Beth: I need to clean my office too. I have a HUGE pile of filing to do and some old papers to shread...I have heard nordic walking is really a very good exercise too...Would you have to get one of those machines with the skies where the feet go? I haven't seen one in a long time. Of course, I don't go to any gyms. So, they may be out there!!

Ok, have a great day. It is beautiful weather here today. Time for outside stuff today. We are expecting rain tomorrow..UGH!!

Ugghh...are we moved yet? Hmm...I know its cheaper for us to do a lot of stuff instead of movers but there's a level of, if the movers were doing it, it would all be DONE by now! It doesn't help that I'm on my 10th of TOM. (my stress levels pushed me out of cycle). Not sure what I'm going to do today but I want to workout after we're done a lot of the moving and packing (so a reverse of yesterday). I did manage to get most of the kitchen boxes unpacked yesterday so I think I'm going to clean the floors, do more of the kitchen and the bathrooms today.

Chris -- you can actually get acupuncture through your HMO/PPO...at least in CA you can. Joe had to only pay $15/session when he got it and I haven't started it yet but I can actually get it through my school clinic similarly. In CA they have like certified boards and rules and regulations so they have to keep it ultra sterile and safe and you can see them open up a new needle each time for you. With sinuses, I imagine it'll go near your temples but I never understood the "chi flow" thing that they do. I mean, its essentially innervating certain nerves right to change the direction of the action potentials but 1000s of years ago they just didn't know that's what its called. I mean, my headaches and pressure got so bad I nearly ran into a clinicians office because other stuff just doesn't work...the only reason I didn't was because it did get better and I was swamped, but I certainly going to try it out soon. (apparently you can also get acupuncture where they stick needles in your belly to stimulate weight loss -- I don't believe it one bit but I'm just too curious to not see how its done!)

Beth -- I'm sorry about your hip hurting! Joe's knee is really bugging him but I think it has to do with the fact that he hefts heavy stuff around without control and then tries to RUN to the car zigzagging through all the stairs. Since he's over 30 and I'm not (yet), I like to tease him but I have to be careful or I'll get a quip right back at me.

Kathe/y - Have a good time outside and soak up that sun before the rain gets here!

Back to moving...

Hottie, maybe you're almost done?

I forgot to tell you guys -- my shoulders are soooooo sore! My chest is sore, too, but I don't notice it much -- probably my triceps are the same. Ivy/Joanne, have you begun meso 2 yet? Where arrrrrreeee yoooouuuuuu? :)

Kathy, I was thinking about just getting poles and walking outside -- no machine involved. I guess I might look like a goof, but I'd stay on my own property for the most part. :) My desk is hugely piled, too! Ug!

-Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.