April 09 check in Tuesday 28th

Kathy36

Cathlete
Hi ladies..

I had a wonderful day yesterday. Thank you all for your birthday wishes!

Today is 4 day split low intensity step cardio and weights and plates abs...I have some DOMS from yesterday. I can tell I will feel it more as the day goes on too.

Today is errand day for me..Lauren is going on a field trip with her drawing class. They are going on a nature hike and drawing nature as they see it. She is really excited..

Chris: I am not sure what I am doing after STS. I think to finish out May I will probably just do cardio and some total body weight workouts. What about you?

Be back later..

From yesterday:

Chris: I used some of my birthday gift card to purchase some fit by cathe stuff. I got the walking kit...it comes with ankle and wrist weights. I thought I could use it during my track time. I also got medium and heavy resistance cords and gloves to wear while lifting. I already had Cathe's weighted gloves. But, I noticed she used the regular ones under those . I need that too. The weights are killing my plams...I used my 20% coupon that I got from ordering the STS cardio..It was great because it paid for shipping and a little more..I didn't see anything else I needed right now to bring the total to $100...So, I was glad for the discount coupon...This is what I got as part of me gift...

Hey Kathy! And Check In Buddies!

Quickie post, because I'm off to the park for a run before it gets too hot (90 predicted today again!..crazy weather for April in New England!)...

The DOMS are JUST starting to kick in from DISC 31 yesterday. Holy CRAP, those weights were HEAVY. I had a hard time getting them in place on some of the moves ... the 32 lb dumbells for chest flies.... and the 65 lbs for chest presses. That is the part of heavy lifting I don't like so much, I'm afraid I'm going to get hurt getting the weigths into place...

Kathy: Oh!!! I didn't realize the Cathe purchases were bday presents! LOL! VERY cool , I love that kind of stuff for birthdays!... You'll have to let us know how the walking weights are and how they feel. I know, the 20% off was very sweet!!

I'll BBL...

Hey, good morning!! Kathy, the drawing field trip sounds great -- wish I could do that today! :D

Chris, crazy weather, indeed. So funny how different we have it -- hope you enjoyed your run. By the way, I looked ahead at Cathe's meso 3 rotation and it doesn't seem to me she cut the cardio at all!! The heavy weights are scary, yes! I'm already having trouble (in meso 2) with chest presses -- so far the flies haven't been too bad, but I know I'm close on that. I really want that rack now!!! So what are your heaviest dumbbells? I'm wondering if I need to get another heavier set.

I had a great workout -- the last legs for this meso. I know I'm going to be very sore. I went pretty heavy and my arms were just killing me, so partway through I put on my vest and held lighter dumbbells -- except for the plie squats where I stayed the same, so I had on a 17 pound vest (I know, strange number, but it's just what I had to stuff in there) and used a 30 pound db. I know that I am stronger, too, because low plane lunges used to just kill me with light weights, and here I was going fairly heavy and able to do all the reps. Whoooo-hooo.

So, physically I am feeling great, but mentally/emotionally I'm a wreck. I made a really stupid mistake at work yesterday, and it was very visible, and I just don't even want to go in there today. Yuck! At least I didn't cause any damage or hurt anyone, but it's just really embarassing and makes me feel like and idiot. Ug, ug, ug.

Ok, I'm going to think about the "life is good" brothers and realize that even when things are not going right, life is good......

I hope everyone has a great day. Hopefully we'll hear from others today -- Joanne, Hottie, Ivy? Anyone? Shout out to Vilma!

-Beth

Hi ladies. Sorry I've been MIA...just busy as usual!

Kathy, happy belated birthday!! Sounds like you had a good one and picked out some fun Cathe stuff!

Beth, I'm kind of an emotional wreck, too - so I feel your pain. Mines more for personal reasons, but I keep reminding myself about all the good stuff I have in my life and how thankful I should be for things like my kids health. Don't mean to sound so morose, I'm just going through some stuff now that's kind of tough. Sounds like you are getting stronger! Legs is up for me tomorrow - we'll see how I do on those low plane lunges.

Chris, hope you got in that run before it got too hot! I'm a bit wary of the weights in Meso 3. My heaviest dumbbell is 25 pounds. My barbell goes pretty high, but I don't have any type of rack and have this fear of the thing coming crashing down on me doing chest presses! Wow, you're lifting some heavy weights there! Awesome!! Is it a big jump from when you started STS?

Yea, we seem to have lost some of our check-in buddies! Come in and say "hi"! :)

Friday our TV went out -yes, our 50 inch plasma that was a mere three years old! The picture went really dim. I called the manufacturer and they said the board probably went out. They were going to see if they could fix it at no charge even though the warranty had run out. They said it would take 5-6 days for a service person to even call to set up an time to come out. We bought it at Costco and I knew that had a lifetime guarantee policy where you could basically return anything for a full refund. They changed the policy a couple years ago but we bought the TV before then. So, I called and they said bring it back and they would give us a full refund. I was expecting a hassle. I have to say - I love Costco!! They took that thing back with no questions asked and gave us a store credit for the full amount. We bought a new TV at half the price and we also got the kids their own computer and still have money left on the credit. Of course, my biggest worries was no TV - no workouts!! But we got the new TV Sunday, so I was ready to go yesterday.

Anyway, yesterday was Disc 22 - I think, chest, shoulders and triceps. That one moved fast! I liked it, though - short, but effective!! I got the new CIA's in the mail yesterday. This morning I did Amy's new kickbox one - lots of fun. A couple tricky moves, but I was good and sweaty!

Gotta run for now....

Joanne

Hey Again!

I made my run! It was a good one. For the first time this year I did some stair and hill intervals. It was fun, but I wasnt used to the warmer weather. I got hot quickly, and also felt so thirsty during most of my run. I could feel my feet getting hot and they felt icky inside my sneakers by the end. I did 40 minutes only. I didn't want to push it more, esp. since I was afraid I'd get dehydrated not drinking and being so hot.

I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for supper ($80 later! I hate that i can't buy JUST what I went in for!) and then home, put them away, and did Abs Circuits: Weights & Plates. Haven't done this baby in a while! The weight part was ok, but I struggled on the plates. I should maybe try to do this one more often so I can get more of the reps and moves down. Mostly the end with the straight leg pikes. Plus my upper body was tired from holding up and DOMS from chest and back from yesterday!!

So Zach just got home, and his report card was worse than last semester. A few C+'s instead of B's. But most of all , I got angry because he had "incomplete work/missing assignments" and "must improve conduct" . Ugh. I want him to spend more time with studying or reading or something at home. What should I take away? Friend/ outside time after school? Probably computer/video game time after supper,. huh?

Beth:
It is funny, because it sounds like we traded weather from last week! You have the coolness/cloudiness/rain and we have the 90's! I guess we got what we wished for! LOL! ... Hmm... I think the cardio is less in Meso 3. What she does is add on the Abs Circuit workouts to the 30-40 minute cardios to make for a longer workout. Last week and this week it seems she's using all the 4DS Cardios... JUST the 30+ minutes of cardio. .... I have the Bowflex Adjustable Dumbells, so they go up to 52.5 lbs each. I think I'm set! LOL!!... I agree about the low plane lunges. I used to just about CRY with 5 lb weights doing those, it's so much better these days. ..Sorry you're having mental/work related issues. God knows work can drag me down too. It sucks, because it seems to not stop going over and over in your mind, and it drags you down. My kids help me forget though. Distract me , for good and the bad!

Joanne: Happy to see you! Sorry you're having personal emotional problems. I hate when my friends are going through tough times. Wish I could help! I have definitely upped my weights BIG time since I started STS. I am so much stronger! I thought I was pushing myself with Fitness Freak's rotations, but this is just crazy compared to hers. .... That is amazing how Costco took your TV back!! You gotta love stores/companies that do that kind of stuff. Obviously, keeps you coming back! ... Sounds like you're keeping up with STS , and hurray for new workout videos!!! Always makes me happy to get new stuff...

to Vilma, Hottie and Ivy!! miss you guys today!!

Hey Chris! Great run. The heat really affects me, too. I think moreso the older I get! I've struggled with trying to bring water along with me - I hate having to hold it. Thanks for the virtual sympathy! I'm OK - things at home are just a roller coaster, more down than up right now. We're having the same problems with Colin and his report card. DH grounded him indefinitely when he came home with it and just about everything had dropped with a few C's (never had one before and rarely below an A-). I didn't quite agree with that, but he did let him go out a few days ago. It was about a week and a half. I would tend to go with the no computer or video time. If they have time for that, they have time for studying, right? This was kind of funny...Colin came home with no homework one day last week and DH told him to study or read a book. Well, of course he didn't bring any school books home. He went and read The Cat in the Hat. ;) OK, not quite what we had in mind! We've been more conscious of checking Colin's homework. His math homework was totally wrong yesterday and the frustrating thing is if he just would have read the directions, he would have done it correctly. So, we made him do it over and he's sitting there crying the whole time. :( He's just rushing through everything and doesn't seem to care. I know, the incomplete stuff is frustrating! If they truly are having difficulties with the work and are doing their best, that's different. But, if it's indifference or laziness, then I get frustrated!! That's been Colin lately. Oh, the kids always tease me - I say I'm going to the store for milk and come home with eight bags! I can never seem to get out of there under $100!!

DH is taking Caitlyn to the doctor this afternoon for her allergic reaction. I did call last week and they said don't let her have any nuts at all and to bring her in. I wanted to go to the appt., but DH said he could handle it. I have to take a bunch of time off over the next few weeks for school stuff. I'm hoping the no nuts thing is just until they test her - I'd hate for her to have to avoid peanuts. She's never had a problem with peanut butter, just the hazelnuts.

Hey Joanne!

I'm just hanging here, instead of doing what I should be doing..LOL!

*sigh* I swear we have the same kids here and there sometimes. (Alex just used his potty mouth, "yes.He's peeing on his weiner", WTH????). The crappy thing with Zach is, his team of teachers "don't believe in homework", so he has none. But, yeah, I'm going to take away his after supper computer time. That's when his brothers do homework, so i guess he should do SOMETHING. (I just don't know WHAT yet!). LOL @ "Cat in the Hat" for Colin's book choice! ... I do think they need that outside/friend time to blow off kid steam, so I hesitate to take that away from them.

I hope Caitlyn finds out more specifics at the doctor. I hate sending my DH to the doctor with the boys, he never can really TELL me exactly what happened, and I feel like I'm missing stuff. Hope your hubby takes notes! ...

Okay, better start getting things ready for Zach's Baseball practice...

Chris, it seems like you need to talk to the teachers -- how are you going to enforce him getting his work done if it's all to be done at school and none of it is homework? It doesn't make sense to me. If I were him, I'd really wonder why I was losing privileges at home when there are no expectations that I do school work at home. I was going to tell you the same as Joanne -- no computer/tv time until all homework is done, but if there's no homework to start with, it just doesn't make sense! If he's unable to do his work at school (too many distractions, whatever), then it seems like they ought to let him take it home to finish.

Joanne, big hugs to you. I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed (which is what it sounds like). Very cool about the tv and costco, though!!

-Beth

You're totally right, Beth. Dh and I talked about it, and that's what i'm going to do. Find out what we can do at home to help him do better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.