Alpha Omegan Check-In (2/4/09)

Good morning!

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do all that is written in it; for then you will make your ways prosperous, and then you will have success" (Joshus 1:8).

"Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against you" (Psalm 119:11).

Ahh, the importance of Bible study ;)

Iris, I am still on Level 1 of Shred and still enjoying it! I've increased my weights and can feel I'm getting stronger. My arms are getting more toned too! Today is Day 10 of Level 1, so I will be moving on to Level 2 tomorrow and let you know what I think!

This is my best way of describing Baptism to others - it's an outward expression of an inward commitment to Christ as your Lord and Savior, and belief that He died for you sins and rose again! Since we're not saved by "works" I don't believe that the act itself "saves" you, but a believer gets baptized, as they did in the Bible, to express the change (new life) that has already taken place! Christ was baptized before He started His ministry, so we follow His example! :) I'm curious what you guys think on this topic?

Karen, I agree. When I was in school it seemed we never got to stay home! Ahh, the old days! ;)

Today will be Shred plus some form of Cathe cardio, not sure yet but will post later!

Hello and blessings to Becca, Heather, Penguin, Lynn, Linda and all who follow!

Hey everyone,

Today will be Bodymax II. Since I will have the house to myself tonight, I will probably peel the paint off the walls with my loud workout music. And the music on this workout is really good, so I like to hear it for all its worth. :)

Thanks Christine for the bible verse. The studies are the only time I truly focus on what I'm reading in the bible (because I have to answer the questions in the workbook that follow) which is pretty pathetic, but I do try to absorb all I can. I wish my memory were better so I could site verses to people I want to witness to.

Hey Linda, Becca and Iris, hope all is well with your families and everyone is healthy. Seems the sickness stays around for a while.

I hope EVERYONE has a great evening. To those I missed too!! ;)

God bless,
Karen

Karen, that is so funny you mentioned your loud workout music because I was going downstairs to w/o and my hubby said "Can you turn down the volume this time?" LOL I like my workout music loud because it gets me pumped! Plus, I need to hear the cues over the fan blowing on me. I get heated fast! I ended up just closing the door so I could make it loud. :p

Today my workout was Shred plus 4DS HIS. My hubby and I tried taking our dog for another walk but it was way too cold and windy today so we cut it short.

Hope everyone is having a great day! :)

This is my best way of describing Baptism to others - it's an outward expression of an inward commitment to Christ as your Lord and Savior, and belief that He died for you sins and rose again! Since we're not saved by "works" I don't believe that the act itself "saves" you, but a believer gets baptized, as they did in the Bible, to express the change (new life) that has already taken place! Christ was baptized before He started His ministry, so we follow His example! :) I'm curious what you guys think on this topic?

Christine - I agree that we are not saved by works and the act of baptism alone does not save us, but is a requirement of Salvation. I agree with Iris that baptism is done at an age of accountability. Once again I am going to quote the book I am reading to explain it.
"The Bible is very clear that God does the saving through Christ. There is no power in the water, nor does the act of baptism itself save anyone. Salvation is given by God when a person exercises faith in Christ, repentance towards Christ, confession of Christ, and is united with Chris in His death at baptism and raised to walk in newness of life in the likeness of Christ's resurrection."
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be comdemned.." Mark 16:16

All right, I attempted Newport this morning. Overall I think I did pretty well, but it is one tough workout. I used my 20# KB on everything except where noted.

Round 1 : Cossack stretch , squat/thrust/snatch (3 mins.); bicycle (1 min.)

Round 2: Squat/Press, One-Arm Swing (4 mins.); double leg raise (keep feet 6" from floor) (1 min.)

Round 3: 2-handed swing, hot potato (4 mins.); twisting crunch (1 min. - Anthony does sets of 10-8-6-4-2 and then repeats)

Round 4:
Punch matrix, plank (you go through each exercise 3x) (3 mins.); Single leg raise (keep stationary leg 6" from floor) (1 min.)

Round 5: Side snatch, overhead lunge (4 mins.) side plank (1 min.)

Round 6: Squat/kick, sots press (press from a squat) (3 mins.); standing oblique crunch (1 min.) I could not do the SOTS as is, I could not press the 20# overhead at the bottom of the squat, so I did it on the up movement.

Round 7: Hand to hand clean, dragon lunge (curtsy lunge) 4 mins. ; Russian twist which then turns into russian twist with bicycle crunch. I didn't do the bicycle part

Round 8: kettlebell pushup (just like the side-to-side pushups in P90X), dive bombers into cobra and janda situp Shoulders completely gave out here, there was a lot of stop and start

Extra Round: Snatch/Turkish get-up/Windmill - You do one set of all 3 moves on one side, then the other; repeat. I did these with a 15# DB, wasn't sure I could could the 20#KB up there after the pushups

Bonus Round:
5 mins. snatch test - Did the whole test with my 20#KB but did not match Anthony's pace.

Note - Today's thanks go out to Marcy who originally posted the rounds, again I just added my stats

Christine - What instructor does your Shred series?

Linda, thanks for sharing more about your book! The "30 Day Shred" w/o I've been doing is by Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. There are 3 levels and I'm currently on Day 10 of Level 1. I plan to do 10 days of each level. It's a 20 minute workout and Level One goes like this (strength/cardio/abs):

Warm Up

Circuit One:
30 seconds of push ups
1 minute of squats plus overhead press combined
repeat push ups (30 secs)
repeat squats/overhead press (1 minute)

30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds jump rope
repeat jacks (30 sec)
repeat jump rope (30 sec)

1 minute ab crunches

Circuit Two:
30 seconds bent over row
1 minute lunges plus bicep curls combined
repeat rows
repeat lunge/bicep combo

30 seconds jogging in place ("butt kicks")
30 seconds of kickbox punches
repeat jogging
repeat kickbox

1 minute oblique crunches

Circuit Three:
30 seconds chest flies
1 minute side lunges with front raises combined
repeat chest flies
repeat side lunge/front raise combo

30 seconds jump jacks
30 seconds butt kicks
30 seconds kickbox throw punches
30 seconds jump rope

1 minute bicycle ab crunches

Cool Down

It seems easy, but it really kicks my butt! You move right from one exercise to the next with no break in between. Before you know it, the workout is over! I've been adding extra cardio plus extra 20 min leg work & 20 min upper body work throughout the week. But I honestly feel so much stronger and toned from this workout! I'm excited to move on to Levels 2 & 3 and to see my results after 30 days! :)

Christine - I saw that DVD today at Target and was wondering if it was the same one you were doing. I have done many 20 minute workout that left me exhausted. LOL! A program by Cosgrove called Warp Speed was brutal!

Hi Ladies,

I had a pretty busy day at work today and was glad I had planned on doing some strength training at home, as I don't think I would have had the energy for a tough cardio workout today. I had planned on working on more 1RM's, but after doing 4DS Bic. & Tric, and abs, I just did not have the energy left. Now I get to relax with my daughter. She's in a chatty mood today, lol.

Karen I know quite a bit about the bible, but I also have a tough time remembering scripture. I can recite a verse, but can't tell you where in the bible it's found. I think it's important to know scripture, but I've always had a tough time with that.

Christine, you will like the 2nd Shred workout too. I really liked 1 & 2. I found 3 lacking in the weights area, but still a good workout.

Linda, thanks for breaking down Newport for us. Now I know what to expect. I have a feeling both Providence & Newport are going to kick my butt. Can you tell me what the author's name is for the Baptism book. I really want to get it. I agree with both yours and Christine's view on baptism. I think you both have the same belief, although you may have worded it differently, lol. I don't think I've ever really stopped to think exactly why baptism is important to our christian walk, and that's exactly why I'd like to read that book.

I am learning quite a bit from you ladies. I love this thread :)

Becca, I hope you're daughter's feeling better today.

Have a great evening ladies.

Linda, thanks for breaking down Newport for us. Now I know what to expect. I have a feeling both Providence & Newport are going to kick my butt. Can you tell me what the author's name is for the Baptism book. I really want to get it. I agree with both yours and Christine's view on baptism. I think you both have the same belief, although you may have worded it differently, lol. I don't think I've ever really stopped to think exactly why baptism is important to our christian walk, and that's exactly why I'd like to read that book.

Iris - I believe that Christine and I have similar views on baptism and my response to her was not meant in an argumentative way, but rather a clarification on my beliefs regarding baptism. In such that while baptism in itself does not save, I do believe it is a requirement in the plan of Salvation. There are those out there that teach that one does not need to be baptized to be saved, that faith alone is enough. Which is the reason this book I am reading was written. Now regarding the book, while the author refers to it as a book, I think it is more of a self-published 94 page report/book. I would be more than willing to try and obtain another copy and send it to you, if you like. You can PM me your address.

Hello all!

Still no workout for me today. :( I did do Leslie's 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk yesterday just to get something in. Today I just couldn't do it. I desperately need to get back in the grove, though. My mood has been awful and I am not being the best mother in the world. My poor kids! I keep reminding myself that they are just small and it's not their fault, but they are driving me nuts! I had to fall face down on the floor and pray to God to keep me from losing it today. I am ready for spring so I can get these precious little bundles of energy outside!

Re: baptism. I believe that sometimes we as Christians are so fearful of being legalistic that we hesitate to mark anything as a "requirement". I go back to the "Be imitators of Christ" verse in regards to this. As you stated, Christine, Christ was baptized before he began his ministry on earth. And that baptism was a BIG DEAL! :) So I believe when we get baptized, we are doing as Christ instructed. Is it a requirement to salvation? Clearly not, since Christ told the robber on the cross that He would see him in Paradise.

Iris, when are you planning on starting STS? Enjoy your chatty daughter! I'm sure you will have some great conversation. :)

Linda, great workout! Newport sounds tough! I don't have that one yet and I probably won't get anymore KB WO's until I am done with STS.

Karen, I LOVE the music in BM2! That is some fun stuff. :) I struggle with memorizing verses as well. I can tell you that it's in the Bible and approx. where, but I'm not good with exact addresses and exact wording. :( I truly believe Scripture memory is important, though, so I challenge myself. It definitely helps our witness when we can point people to exact verses in the Bible.

Christine, thank you so much for starting us out every day! I love to come here and see the Verse of the Day. It is very motivating. :)

Hello to everyone else!

Have a blessed day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.