Alpha Omega Check-In 1/18/09

Good morning all!
Do any of you watch Charles Stanley? He was speaking on Psalm 139 last night, it was an awesome sermon.

"Oh Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thoughts from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O Lord, You know it all. You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it." (Psalm 139: 1-6, NASB)

I am wondering what Bible translations you all use? I used the NIV forever, until I started doing my Kay Arthur Inductive Bible study. My husband got me the NASB (New American Standard Bible) to go along with our study, because it's the translation that Kay Arthur uses. I did some research and apparently, the NASB uses a translation that is closest to the original text. It took me a while to get used to, but it's good for me because I've been using our concordance to look up some words I read in the original Hebrew (Old Testament) or Greek (New Testament), and the definitions of the words are really a lot more in depth and really give you a good understanding of what Jesus, or the other writers were trying to convey.

Heather- Congrats on your 2+ mile walk!! That is awesome!! I looked at your pictures too, how cute are you!?? I LOVE your name for STS too! :)

Iris - I am excited for Fireproof to come out on DVD 1/27!! I found out it was being released on DVD that date when I was at our Christian bookstore and they had a sign that they would be selling it. THis was about a month ago. I was looking forward to seeing the movie and then, last weekend, or church offered a free viewing! I was so excited that my husband and I were going to get to see it, it blew us away, so great!! I look forward to buying our copy!

I haven't worked out yet, just ate breakfast. Once I digest I'm going to do a workout, just not sure which one yet! We are getting more snow here today!!

Blessings!

Last edited:
Hi Christine,

Thanks for the scripture reading today. I use the NIV edition but I also have others I use for study. Depending on who the study is with, I change it up a bit. I do love Beth Moore and she seems to use the NIV quite often so I have used that the most. I love Kay Arthur too!! Given her background, she has certainly come a long way in her walk. What an inspiration she is.

Today I did a 7 mile run. Yesterday I did Muscle Max and Step Heat (which I haven't used in forever). It was fun to go back to an oldie, although the intensity isn't there for me. I love Imax 3 and all the Gym Style workouts. I'm an aerobic addict and I just can't seem to get enough. But I do love my Cathe workouts, I believe I have all but the less advanced ones.

So good to be a part of an awesome group of ladies who love the Lord and give Him all the glory. Where would we be without our Jesus?!! Still in our sin with no hope of a future, that's where. Aren't we blessed?

Have an awesome day and God Bless,
Karen

Last edited:
Hello Ladies,

Today is a Rest day for me. I was thinking of doing Tracey Staehle's Yoga Solutions to stretch out my muscles, but then I decided to enjoy a full rest day :) We had snow this morning, and I wasn't able to get to church this morning. I am just getting back to church, after months of not attending. I was really looking forward to this morning's service too. I am praying my family will follow in my steps. For now, I've been taking my 13 year old daughter with me, and keeping my faith that my son's will follow.

Christine, I usually read the NIV Bible, but also the New English version. I always found the Old King James Version a little harder to understand. I love Charles Stanley. His messages get right to the heart. He is truly an annointed preacher.

Karen, nice to meet you. A 7 Mile run, how awesome. I love my cardio too, but the Step workouts always get me. My favorite workouts are kickboxing.

I'm off to wait for my 2 year old grandson. I get the priviledge of babysitting often. Have a great day everyone.

Hello all! Ahhhhh....rest day for me! I spent the afternoon with a dear friend at the movies watching Marley & Me. Very sweet movie, I cried quite a bit.

Christine, I typically use the NIV, for the same reasons Karen mentioned. I do a lot of Beth Moore's studies and that's what she uses. I am a bit of a translation junkie. :D My Bible of choice is my Amplified. I love that one. I love that it gives more extensive definitions of the words that were used in the original language so that you can get the flavor of what the author was saying. My church/Bible study Bible is a KJV/NIV parallel Bible. I enjoy that one, too so I can compare the different verses side by side in the different translations. I really want an NASB. That will be my next Bible purchase. :)

Heather, what great pictures! I am so excited for you on your new fitness journey. Way to go with the 2+ mile walk! Good for you!

Lynn, great idea about the toys. I may have to try that with my kiddos.

Karen, WELCOME! Great job with the 7 mile run today! You did MM and Step Heat in one day?!?!? Good for you! That is some serious calorie burn there, my friend.

Iris, I am glad to hear that you are getting back to church. Sorry it was cancelled, though. Have fun babysitting today!

Hello to Linda and anyone else who may stop by today. Have a blessed Sabbath!

Hi all!
I did get my workout in today, I did Low Impact Circuit! I did it for the first time today with two sets of risers on each side, I usually only use one set. That definitely made it more challenging!

Becca, I like Sunday to be my rest day too, but since I didn't get a workout in, I swapped days! I hope you enjoyed your rest day! I saw Marley & Me with my sister, we loved it! We also cried when we saw it too! I remember you mentioning the Amplified version of the Bible. I like to watch Joyce Meyer and I read some of her books and she uses that translation. I like it too! It's like your own personal concordance without having to look up any words! :) I got my husband a Bible that has KJV, NASB, NIV & NLV all in one! I like using his sometimes, so I get 4 different translations! Although I have to say, the NLV (New Living Translation) seems way out there, like not even close to what was originally spoken.

Iris, I agree about Charles Stanley! He's definitely to the point and I like how he really speaks the truth and doesn't sugar coat anything, like some newer "preachers" these days do! I also find the KJV translation difficult to understand. I'm getting used to the NASB, but I still have my NIV, or my husband's Bible for reference. I hope you enjoyed your rest day, and your time with your grandson!

Hi Karen! Welcome to the group!! This is my first Kay Arthur study and I'm loving it! I like how she's all about discovering the truth for yourself, instead of by commentaries. Although I still love commentaries! When we first started the study we didn't really have a leader. I kept praying for one and God blessed us with one about a month ago. The study has really been fruitful since!! Praise God! We are blessed indeed! Wowie, you had quite the workout today!! Sounds like you are really an advanced exerciser! Awesome on the 7 mile run too!

Have a blessed night everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.