Alpha Omega Check-In 1/17/09

Good morning everyone!

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 -NASB)

Why is this so hard to do?? :confused:

I just got back from our church. I help cook every third Saturday of the month for the men's breakfast. It's a bit more stressful than it should be, but we have fun!! Now that my clothes smell like smokey bacon (yuck!), I'm going to change, take a nap, and (hopefully) get in my workout later on! I actually plan to clean my house today and organize some closets and stuff. We moved into our house in August 2008 and there are still unpacked boxes and disorder! :eek:

I hope everyone has a blessed day!

Last edited:
I actually plan to clean my house today and organize some closets and stuff. We moved into our house in August 2008 and there are still unpacked boxes and disorder! :eek:

I've lived in my house for 10 years now and there is still disorder!:eek::eek::eek: Good Luck! I have really been trying to do some organizing, today me and the kids are suppose to attack the toys. This should be interesting, there is sure to be lots of tears.

Not much sleep last night so I was exhausted this morning. Let the kids sleep with me last night and DD beat me in her sleep. Finally left at 2:30 am and went to sleep in her bed, but then hands were acting up. They have been really bad recently.

I did Step Blast and Stretch w/ the Stability Ball #2 from Cathe's Total Body Stretching . Workout was 1:11 and I burned 511 calories.

Alpha Omega Check-in

Sisters:

I would love to join y’all! It would be my delight to share this journey with sisters in Jesus!

I felt inspired and triumphant after experiencing a beautiful Christmas Eve candlelight and communion service last month and started my fitness journey afresh and anew that night instead of waiting for the ball to drop on New Year’s Eve. Reclaiming my health is the best Christmas present I can imagine. I am hoping to start STS on February 1, 2009, and I am making the most of this month by cleaning my workout room, fueling my body with nutritious whole foods, warming up with my favorite cardio and circuit training workouts, and putting my game face on for the great adventure that awaits me!

I have battled food strongholds and my weight since childhood. A few days before Christmas, my doctor gave me a referral for a lap band. He does not think I can conquer obesity without weight loss surgery. Yes, I can! The joy of the Lord is my strength, and I can do all things through Christ! The gauntlet is on the ground, and I am embracing the challenge.

Fitness is about freedom, not a size! Living fit and free is my overall goal. The desire of my heart is to eat for the glory of God, exercise as an act of worship, and be strong and healthy (physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally) at any size in 2009. My first fitness goal for the year is to faithfully finish STS and be strong enough for one push-up on my toes by the end of my first rotation. With all the weight I am pushing up, that would be a big accomplishment!

I have been dreaming of running since I started my fitness journey. Cathe’s picture of "triumph and glory" on the November page of her 2008 calendar inspired me and sparked a fire in my heart. It is time to rise up, embrace the challenge, walk by faith, and see my hopes and dreams become reality. I want to run a 5K in 2009. I am planning to walk/run my first 5K in March (and possibly walk one this month) and hopefully run one by the end of the year. I do not look or feel like a runner at this weight and size, but I have faith and a determined focus. All things are possible for those who believe, and I can rise above food strongholds and obesity and soar on wings like an eagle by God's grace. I started this journey on Christmas at 274 pounds in size 28 jeans. The mountain I am facing is huge, but I can move it by faith! The task ahead of me is never as great as the POWER behind me!

My game plan for nutrition is to eat intuitively (while honoring the need to avoid MSG and food allergies) and bless my body with plenty of spring water and an abundance of fresh and organic fruits and veggies.

By faith, I am smashing the strongholds of my soul and believing God that 2009 is my year to shine and the year of my freedom when obesity and food strongholds lose their grip on me. Yes, Lord, I believe!

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Linda,
So I've heard from a lot of people that the unpacking just never seems to end! LOL Good luck weeding out the toys! Sometimes I get to the point where there is so much "stuff" that I don't even stop to think, I just start throwing out! Thank goodness I've yet to find myself saying "where is ____ (fill in the blank)" after I've gotten rid of it! :)

I'm sorry your carpel tunnel kept you up at night, it's the worst when the pain interferes with your sleep! By the way, I laughed at your DD story (not that it's funny she beat you up), but when I was a kid I asked my mom to kiss me goodnight every night before she went bed (I was already asleep) and she would inevitably scare me out of sleep and I'd smack her right in the jaw! But she kept coming back for more! :)

Your workout inspired me to get my butt moving! I already tackled one closet, I'd like to clean the kitchen next... and then workout!!

Heather, welcome!!
Your story and faith are very encouraging!! You remind me of something I heard from a movie I saw called "Facing the Giants". If you haven't seen it, I highly recomment it! That and "Fireproof", both EXCELLENT Christian flicks! Anyway, a gentleman was talking to someone who was very discouraged and he told him this story (I am paraphrasing):

"Two farmers were experiencing a drought and prayed to God for rain. One of the farmers just sat back and prayed, while the other actually went out into his fields to start planting seeds and preparing his field to receive the rain. It rained for that farmer and not for the other. When asked why, the gentleman said because that farmer believed it would rain, and put his faith into action before seeing any results."

In other words, he stepped out in faith before his prayers were answered because he KNEW and BELIEVED the Lord would answer! Good for you for your positive outlook!! Keep on "preparing for rain" and walking by faith!

Heather, I also wanted to add that I also have an adverse reaction to MSG! It makes me feel so bizarre, like I'm dizzy and having an "out of body" experience. I can always tell when I've eaten something that, unknowingly, had MSG in it. I can't believe how much food has that ingredient!!

Hello all!

Heather, I am so glad to see that you are joining us! Have you heard of the couch to 5K program? I am following that right now and am about half way through. It is a great run/walk program to prepare your body for running. I attempted last year to run a 5k and couldn't run the whole thing. I was so discouraged. :( I thought since I could do Imax2 all the way through, I should be able to run 3.1 miles. I have learned that my body needs to work up to that and I am doing it right this time. I should be ready for a 4 mile race on May 1st. BTW, I love your posts and I love reading how much you truly love God and give Him the glory! What a blessing!

Linda, I always throw things away when the kids are at school or otherwise occupied. ;) It helps to avoid tears. The only problem is when they find them in the trash and decide it was their favorite thing ever! Best of luck to you with the cleaning. Sounds like you had a rough night. :( I am impressed that after all those night time antics you were able to get up and do Step Blast. Good for you!

Christine, good for you for organizing! Have you gotten rid of the bacon smell yet?!?!? In regards to your verse, I started a journal last night to thank God for the ways he has worked in my life through out the day. I want to make it a daily reminder of how much He loves me and all the great things He does for me.

For my workout today I did 28 min walk/run interval and Lauren Brooks' 12 min K-bell WO followed by Total Body Stretching Seg #1. I felt good and worked out. Made my shower feel that much better! :)

Have a Sensational Saturday, all!

Hello Ladies,

Thank you for the warm welcome and invitation to join you when I posted a couple days ago. Since then, I've been reading your thread daily, and find that you are a small, awesome group of ladies, so I'd like to start posting here with you. I've been following "Debbie" Fitnessfreak's rotation this month, and I've been posting my workouts on that particular check-in thread, but due to a minor set back, I had to take a little break from heavy weights, so I haven't been able to continue that rotation due to its intensity.

I love how positive this thread is. Makes it perfect for me.

On to my workout. Today was a cardio day, and I did Cathe's KPC. I had forgotten how effective KPC is. I burned mega calories and was happy about that. I remembered how difficult KPC was for me not soo long ago, and really felt blessed today at being able to complete the whole workout. Jump kicks and all, lol. Of course I paused the DVD a few times to catch my breath, but I can't complain, I got through the whole thing.

Have a great rest of the weekend ladies, and I look forward to getting to know all of you better :)

Iris, I am glad to see that you are joining us! I, too, had to stop FF's Jan. Rotation. Not due to injury, just need a break from the weights. I LOVE KPC! What a fun, fun workout! Don't you love it when you start to see improvements? :)

You remind me of something I heard from a movie I saw called "Facing the Giants". If you haven't seen it, I highly recomment it! That and "Fireproof", both EXCELLENT Christian flicks!

Christine - I love Facing the Giants! I have not heard of the other one, but will be sure to check it out!

Linda, I always throw things away when the kids are at school or otherwise occupied. ;) It helps to avoid tears. The only problem is when they find them in the trash and decide it was their favorite thing ever! Best of luck to you with the cleaning. Sounds like you had a rough night. :( I am impressed that after all those night time antics you were able to get up and do Step Blast. Good for you!

Becca - I only do it with the kids to try and teach them not to horde everything. I do get rid of some things on my own, but I like the lesson it teachs them. And as far as the workout goes on no sleep ... well, lets just say that is why I am part of the Maniac check in! LOL!:p

On to my workout. Today was a cardio day, and I did Cathe's KPC. I had forgotten how effective KPC is. I burned mega calories and was happy about that. I remembered how difficult KPC was for me not soo long ago, and really felt blessed today at being able to complete the whole workout. Jump kicks and all, lol. Of course I paused the DVD a few times to catch my breath, but I can't complain, I got through the whole thing.

Iris - I pulled KPC out the other day after not doing it for a long time and forgot how hard it was. Really wanted to do it again this morning, but because of my hands which make my shoulders ache I could not. Especially since I like to do it with weighted gloves on. Great job!

I would love to join y’all! It would be my delight to share this journey with sisters in Jesus!

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Heather - Welcome! And wishing you success on your newest journey!

Remember ...with God all things are possible!:D:D:D:D

BTW, I took DS to swim lesson this morning then ended up going shopping, so I never did get to the toys. Perhaps tomorrow or Monday since school is closed.

Hi Iris!! I'm glad you decided to join us! I love KPC too! I also forgot how tough and effective it is! I did it this past Tuesday and was so sore the next day. Congrats on completing the whole thing, I had to stop after kick/punch combo 2!!

Becca, I'll shamefully admit that I maintained the bacon smell until around 7pm when I finally showered changed my clothes!! I know I said in my origianl post that I was going to change and nap, but I just started cleaning and organizing instead and have been on the go since then! My hubby and I are relaxing now. By the way, I LOVE the idea of your journal!!

I did not get a workout in today, but I'm going to do one tomorrow, which is usually my OFF day.

Linda, did you know Facing the Giants was made by a church and not professionals?? I watched the making of it as part of the extra footage on the DVD, it was very surprising and awesome to find out! Yes, definitely look into "Fireproof", it is such a good movie!! Kirk Cameron is in it too. I love him in the Left Behind movies.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Christine, speaking of the movie "Firefighter", it comes out on DVD January 27th. I prebought it back in November, and just this morning remembered to look at my receipt for the available date. I'm looking forward to watching that movie. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, and love when there is a good christian based movie out.

Heather, I've been reading your posts and about your journey since I became a member of the Cathe forums, and have always been inspired by you. I remember reading of your first Cathe RT experience. I believe you've gone to 2 now? I was soo touched reading your story. By the way, I really hope to get to one of the road trips soon, or at least to a Cathe class. I'm lucky enough to live only about 2 hours away from Cathe's gym.

Hi Becca. FF's rotations are great, but I think I was a little overzealous in pushing myself to go heavier. Too much, too soon, I think. It felt good to have done soo well in december, and was really pushing myself early-on in January. The good thing is, the pain I was experiencing, has really subsided, and I am currently doing a little mini rotation of Push/Pull and focusing more on form. Are you going to be doing STS?

Linda, sorry to hear your hands are bothering you :( I've never done KPC with weighted gloves, but I did contemplate doing so today. Then I thought I better not push my luck, since I did Push/Pull yesterday. Your arms seem nicely toned, do you lift heavy weights?

Good night all :)

Alpha Omega Check-in

Sisters:

Glory! What an awesome day! This is the 5-year anniversary of a powerful weekend in Mobile, Alabama, with a group of friends at a Beth Moore conference. After a time of spiritual renewal, I went to the beach with my sisters in Jesus, danced on the white sand beach, delighted in the Lord, and played in the ocean. It was a glory-filled experience, and I was so light and free. I experienced that freedom again this morning in front of a lake this time. I have shared that one of my fitness goals for 2009 is to run my first 5K by the end of the year. The first one around here this year is on January 31, 2009, and I have been pondering the possibility of walking it just to get a feel for the distance. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to see how my feet would respond to that distance because I really do not want to start STS the next day with blisters or sore feet! I woke up with a burst of energy and inspiration this morning and called my friend Rebecca early. She was still in bed, and I inspired her to get her rear in gear and go walk with me. We went to the park where the 5K will take place and enjoyed the beautiful view of the lakeside course. Rebecca took a few "before STS" pictures of me in my pretty STS tee shirt! We walked for 2.4 miles this morning. I believe a 5K is 3.1 miles. I have never walked more than a mile, and I have not been training for this. I am 144 pounds overweight (or was as of the first of this year), and Rebecca is the same weight and size. We completed 2.4 miles of the course in 48 minutes. That is a 20-minute mile on a very hilly course. I paused at the top of a big hill to listen to "Shackles" and do the happy dance! LOL! Those hills are butt burners! Oh my! I was hoping for a flat course for my first 5K. I can do all things through Christ! Yes, I can! I decided to take a leap of faith and walk the Rhythm 5K the end of this month. My Zumba teacher wants to train me to walk/run a 5K in March (and hopefully run more than I walk). There is more than one way to train. We can start by walking at my goal pace and gradually adding distance, or we can go the distance at a comfortable pace and start building speed. Diving right in is more my style, so I am taking the plunge with this 5K and going for the distance first! I am not concerned about setting any speed records. I just want to fight the good fight and finish the course! After years of Cathe cardio, it is amazing how challenging something as simple as walking can be when my body has not yet adapted to it! My game plan is to listen to my body and walk my first 5K this month at a comfortable pace, train with my Zumba teacher to walk/run the one in March or May, and get in shape to run one by the end of the year.

My jeans are not as tight, and I look a little smaller. Here is a link to my STS photo album if you want to see my progress since Christmas Eve:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21253599 (password: STS)

My face is not as puffy, and my jeans are almost touching the ground now because my stomach is not taking up as much space! (I am wearing the same jeans in the pictures taken on Christmas morning and this morning.) I just checked my measurements, and I am shrinking! It is not time for a smaller size yet, but I am moving in the right direction! Rebecca snapped a spontaneous butt shot when I was not looking. LOL! I decided to add it to my album too if you want to see my size 28 butt!

Rebecca and I were hungry after our walk, and we went to our favorite place for lunch. The manager at Jason’s Deli knows us by name now. LOL! I refueled with a huge salad and hydrated with more water. Rebecca’s husband met us for lunch, and both of them went to my Christal Lites meeting with me. This is the name of our Christian prayer and support group that a man from my church family started so we can encourage each other in our journey to living fit and free by faith. We have half a dozen members now, and we are limiting the size to a dozen to keep it more personal.

I enjoyed a long nap this afternoon, and I feel good tonight. I have a song in my heart, and I am looking forward to wrapping up this day with a soothing segment of Stretch Max.

Christine, thanks for the welcome! I love Facing the Giants! I went on a birthday retreat in August and stayed in a cute little cottage to spend time in prayer and worship. My hostess encouraged me to watch that movie, and I am so glad. I watched it again during a New Year’s Eve retreat. I love the coach’s pep talk. I translate his exhortation to my fitness journey by praising God when I gain weight and praising God when I lose weight. He is far more concerned about my heart than the size of my jeans! Flywheel (the first movie that church produced) is good too. MSG is evil, and it hides under so many disguises. We can chat about this more later.

Becca, it is great to be checking in with you again! There is another 5K around here that same weekend in May. We can train together!

Iris, welcome and thank you for the kind words!

Linda, thanks for the encouragement. You have amazing arms! Wow!

Blessings,
Heather B.

Last edited:
Linda, I don't know if this will help or not, but it sure did in our family. When our boys were young and it seemed like keeping toys organized and off the floor was an impossible task, we gathered up ALL the toys the fellas had and put them in a pile. We let each one pick out their absolute favorite 10 things, excluding Legos, and put them on their respective beds. Then we sorted through all the rest into piles...... broken and unfixable, fixable, and really good but not keeping. We threw away all that were in the first pile and the boys helped me clean and fix all that were in the second pile. Later that day we took all of these (and the "good but still not keeping") to a church that served families that had lost everything in fires, etc. There was much sadness in the process, but by the time that we were actually handing the toys over, they had recovered quite a bit and were even excited. After that, we noticed that they took very good care of the few "special" things they had and appreciated them so much more. Very rarely did any of them ever get left on the floor where they could get stepped on or chewed by a puppy! As a family we have come to adopt living very simply and I think that we are all much more appreciative of what we do have. It has been many years and for training up our guys, it is one thing that neither Tom nor I ever regret.
-A side note.... to not get into the same mess again, whenever the boys wanted to buy a gift for a brother for a birthday gift, they would have to think very carefully if it would be a treasured item or just "get a gift", because their brother would be giving up one of their other treasures for this one. Sometimes we opted not to get a gift at all and just do something special for the birthday fella! Three of my guys are teenagers now and still think very carefully before they spend their money on anything. Hope this is helpflul. Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.