Be Afraid PEEPS

elliemom

Cathlete
Be very afraid.....

I am going to Cathe's Killer Class (that's my new name for it) in a few hours. And I am afraid. Very afraid.
And I should be very afraid. It's a killer!!!!!
If you don't here from me later.....well you know I probably won't die but I might want to!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I posted pics in OD from the luncheon yesterday. It was a great time.
Dani- don't make me come to Vegas to get you!!!

I'll CRAWL back later for an update
ellie

Heather- my nurse antennae are standing straight up!!! Do you have food allergies?? Do you carry an epi-pen??? Both my boys are allergic to Peanuts and we carry it everywhere. Once you feel "funny" in your mouth or tongue you really should be checked by a doc. Are you feeling better today???

Karin- I understand about the snow. I just happen to love the look of it. We tend to get a little more ice here and that I detest!!! Especially driving, or when it ices on top of the snow!!! But after leaves for 4 months and all the raking, I want some SNOW!!!!

JJ- how was dinner??? Legal age!! Wow. Does it feel strange to have a drink with your son??? When my niece turned 21 I felt so awkard for months after If I saw her have a glass of wine or something. I kept thinking... Put that down, you are too young!!!

Wendy and Dani- please feel free to send any of those lovely little morsels to me. All those cookies sound yummy.
Vilma- I promise I'll drink my water with that

ellie

Last edited:
Good Morning Ellie & All Peeps

Today I have cardio along with some kettlebell exercises.

Ellie Have a grand time at the GTG. I love reading your reports when you get back;) Yup that water will help detox you of those morsels - have Fun!

Took a break from the pc for most of the weekend I just needed to spend some girly time with my youngest plus her asthma has flared up due to her cold so I was on mommy mode alert . She getting her breathing treatments and knows what to do at school so I'll be keeping my phone close just in case.

Hope all have a Grand day.

picture.php

Dani--thanks for your kind words.

Ellie--I'm so jealous of your lunch with Gayle!! She is so great. I met her on the 07 RT. Hope y'all had fun! :)

Peeps Check-in

Peeps:

Good morning! I slept like a baby last night, and I am breathing easier this morning.

Wendy, no blue cheese for me. I am not allergic to dairy, but I am allergic to mold. "Veiny" cheeses are off limits for me. I do fine with fresh mozzarella, feta, Swiss, and Cabot white cheddar. I have a bunch of food allergies and sensitivities and met with a clinical nutritionist earlier this year for help. This time of year is challenging for me because of all the social eating. I am controlling my portion sizes, but my body does not tolerate MSG at all. I pulled out my MSG survival guide and started brushing up on my detective skills. The only treatment for food allergies is avoidance. An EpiPen (shot of adrenaline) can be used in emergencies like anaphylactic shock (which I have thankfully never experienced). I did have a scary episode last February after eating a soy protein bar, swelled up like a water balloon, gained 12 pounds in an hour, and had a hard time breathing. I have successfully avoided these reactions until the past few weeks. Avoiding "added MSG" is relatively easy if you do not eat fast food, restaurant food, or processed food. All of those are guilty until proven innocent! Avoiding naturally occurring processed free glutamate is more challenging unless you make everything from scratch. By the way, "no added MSG" on a food label is a big red flag! MSG (AuxiGro) is sprayed on crops too, so organic and locally grown produce is safest.

Dani, thanks for the prayers. Your lemon bars sound yummy. I love lemon!

Ellie, I am glad you had fun yesterday. Get ready to burn that burger and fries today! Your hair looks so cute! That length is very flattering on you. Yes, I am allergic to seafood, mushrooms, MSG, and soy. I do not touch seafood. I do not eat in seafood restaurants to avoid cross-contamination. Even the fumes in those places bother me. Eating a few bites of something with mushrooms in it will make me itch all over and gain up to 15 pounds overnight! My fingers and face swell, and my ankles get "donuts" around them. I can handle soy oil or soy lecithin, but soy protein is a trigger for me. Apparently, the protein in food is what causes the reaction. I cannot eat protein bars or drink protein shakes (except smoothies I make myself with Nutiva organic hemp protein). Protein drinks are MSG cocktails. Soy protein is being added to more and more food like bread, but at least it is openly disclosed on food labels. Not the case with MSG. The burning sensation in my mouth is a new thing for me. I experienced mild swelling of my tongue and lips for the first time on Thanksgiving. I realized that the cornbread dressing I ate was made with chicken stock. Even though the restaurant claims to add no MSG, it is hidden in bouillon and stock. I have no idea what I ate this weekend that caused a reaction. It appears that my honeymoon with Whole Foods is over.

Vilma, hugs and prayers for your daughter. I hope she feels better soon.

Laura, I am so happy to see you peeping in for a visit! Have a great run this week! I checked in with the Cheetahs in 2007 when I wanted to start running. They are a fun bunch!

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Hey Peeps:

BRRRR it is -6 degrees this morning:confused: I filled up my bird feeder and heated bird bath so my feathered friends are taken care of. I'm going to do one more week of PUB so I'll be doing that in a little while.

Ellie~ Thanks for posting the pics in OD. Have a great time at Cathe's class! BTW...DS ordered a beer at dinner last night and was carded. I wasn't sure they would do that since we were there but I was glad they did.

Vilma~ How is DD doing today? I can imagine how the cold makes it more difficult to breathe. My kids don't have asthma but anytime they got colds in the winter, it went straight to their chests and they would cough non-stop. I had to use a nebulizer just to get them under control. Give your DD a hug for me:)

Laura~ Nice to see you! Please pop in anytime...no need for personals. Good luck with your training and upcoming HM.

Heather~ Glad to hear you slept well and are breathing easier this morning. Food allergies can be a tricky thing especially with sneaky food labeling.

Dani~ I bow to your baking greatness;) I gave up on Xmas cookie baking after one time (many years ago) I made sugar cookie cutouts. All that work rolling out, cutting, baking, decorating..... and my sister took one bite and looked like this :confused: Apparantely I didn't know that shortning went bad after sitting in my cupboard for a year or so.:eek: Anyway it has become a big laugh for my family and I get teased unmercifully about it.

Wendy~ Is Houdini getting excited about Christmas? I miss having little ones around at this time of year.

Karin~ Did you get anymore snow? I feel your pain especially living in MN. I love the first few snows but after January, I'm pretty sick of it.

Jerry~ Have fun at Cathe's class. Details when you get a chance so we can live vicariously thru you;)

Hope I didn't miss anyone....

JJ

Guten Morgen, Peeps!

I did Patrick G's Play Ball this morning and then followed it up Stretch Max on the ball. It's COLD here in Dallas--like in the 20's--and I LOVE it! I'm eating my oatmeal right now (raisins, flax and cranberries) and drinking tar with eggnog creamer. I'm a happy girl!

Ellie--UGH, that class would totally slay me this morning. I would love to do a Cathe roadtrip, however, since I do Cathe-Lite I could never take the classes because I would pass out trying to keep up!! LOL!

Heather--Oh my goodness!! I can't believe how your body reacts to certain kinds of foods!!! How scary for you!! OK, we won't do the squash recipe I found for sure! LOL!

Dani--Yea, I'm so glad your cookies turned out! I don't think I've ever eaten a Russian tea cake before? Are they the ones rolled in powdered sugar?

Oh, and my vegetable soup is EASY. Just 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable drink or tomato juice, 3 cups water, 1 TBSP Italian seasoning, 3 Bay leaves, 1 veggie boullion cube (I have low-sodium ones!), and pretty much whatever vegetables you want! First, I heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add two diced carrots, two diced celery sticks and, if you like, chopped onion. Cook for 10 minutes. Then add the vegetable drink, water, Italian seasoning, bouillon, bay leaves, sprinkle of garlic powder and veggies. (Yesterday I did four fingerling potatoes, diced, leftover frozen peas, a can of tomato-basil flavored Muir Glen diced tomatoes, and about 1/2 cup parsley.) Add 1 cup whole-wheat elbow macaroni. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 50 minutes with the lid cracked. Your house smells awesome and I feel so...Martha Stewart-y. As much as I can in my little Swedish Kitchen (which would give Martha a heart attack from all the cheesy decor...) HA!!

Laura--Good to see you!!! :) Good luck with your marathon training and pop in anytime you want!!

JJ--I love your cookie story. I think the work that goes into sugar cookies isn't worth the end result (but I don't like them so perhaps I'm a wee bit biased.) I used to make a double chocolate cookie infused with cinnamon and rolled with powdered sugar as my Christmas cookie, but haven't made them since Houdini was born (too time consuming.) Hmmm. Maybe I can do that with her this year. Oh, Houdini has NO CONCEPT of Christmas yet. Except when we are in the car coming home, I ask every night, "We'll go see Daddy now!" Then she answers: "And the kitties. And the TREE!" LOL!

Vilma--Poor DD! She's so lucky she has a good mommy who knows how to take care of her when she needs her!! :)

WAVES to Karin and Jerry and anyone else I might have missed!!

:) Wendy

Hey Peeps!

Well, after the food and cookie hangover from yesterday, I'm feeling a little sluggish today... I had to fast since 7pm last night for my appt with the Lab for blood work this morning... so I am starvin' marvin right about now... Thank goodness for the snack closet.... well, sometimes!

Ellie: I agree... I might not make it through one of Cathe's classes either... if you ever DO make it to Vegas, I'll expect a call! As for the cookies, I only made enough to take to the cookie exchange plus a few to taste just to make sure they were edible! Do you like Salmon (Terriaki Salmon Jerky to be more specific?) I'll see what I can do :)

Vilma: Well, I just had to report that I have had one bottle of water so far this morning! It is only 9am here, so that's pretty good for me... have a few more on "ice" in the fridge so will try to get them in today before I go to the cookie exchange! HOpe DD is feeling better soon!

Heather: Feel better soon peep! I think out of all the sweets, I could eat lemon bars, lemon mirangue (sp), lemon cream, lemon tarts, Lemon Heads! Just about anything with that tangy lemon taste is to die for in my book! well, not literally of course! and then there's my obsession with chocolate... but that's a much longer thread! Hang in there kiddo!

JJ: LOL no bowing necessary... and if you actually SAW what I baked, you might reconsider! :eek: I have not made cookies for several years, and like you decided to take on sugar cut out cookies (snowflakes) from a magazine I had... they were OH so pretty and I really thought I could craft my way through (notice I did not say BAKE!) Well, I really HATE working with cold dough... after about the first roll out, the rest became tough and crumbly (apparently too much flour) and some of the cookies came out thin and flat, while others were thicker and puffed a bit... base frosting was a snap, but then the actual torture began! pipping all those individual points on a 6 pointed star, trying to make them interesting and each different, became a challenge... then all the glitter, crystalized sugar, etc... OY!!! I compared my efforts to the photos from Martha Stewart and decided I was TOO embarrased to give them out... so we ate sugar cookies for weeks... I TRULY feel your pain!

I did manage to do some wonderful things a few years back with a little better results. The large, thick pretzel rods, melting chocolate, crushed nuts, butterfingers, sprinkle balls though... I can handle opening a bag of each, dipping the pretzels into the melted chocolate, rolling them (or spooning over) the toppings and laying them out on wax paper! Now that's my kind of cooking!! :D I'd put them in clear gift bags, wrap them with curling ribbon and vwalla!

Wendy: brrr... we had a skiff, well actually less than a skiff, because a skiff would lead some to believe that it actually hit the ground, of snow here today in Vegas! even the 42*'s felt chillier (is that even a word?) than normal. Apparently the thinning of the blood due to the heat, backfires on you during the winter... I'm normally a red hot, but these days even I am waring my fleece jacket and keeping my hands in my pockets! I'm gonna have to break out the long johns here pretty soon! at least my flannel pj's!

Karin: hope you were well rested yesterday! do you have any DOMS from shoveling? hope you are spared much more in the coming weeks! I hated shoveling snow, but hey it could happen here too! Would that be considered "hell freezing over?" we aren't Sin City for nothing!

Jerry: Looking forward to a full report. If I remember correctly you had to type with your mouth and a pen last time you got back from a Cathe torture session! Hope you have managed to gain some ground and it won't be as bad this time!

HI to any peeps I may have missed and will BBL to check on ya!

Cheers!

Dani~ The sad thing was my cutouts looked so pretty cuz I spent so much time decorating them but tasted rancid :confused: I threw out the whole batch and vowed to never to make Xmas cookie cutouts again!

Your pretzel thingys sound yummy. Definitely my kind of cooking too;)

JJ

Hi peeps! DH and I are going to the gym tonight and I am going to use the elliptical and try out a CC workout. I usually do CC on the bike and tried to do it on the elliptical once and it was kind of awkward. I decided to give it another try tonight. I am not sure which one I will try. Maybe v 4.

Ellie – did you survive the class? I looked at the pictures in the OD from yesterday. Thanks for sharing them. Everyone looks great and I must say my dear, you are beautiful!

Vilma – I hope DD is doing better.

Laura – good luck training for your race. Peep in when you have a chance and let us know how life is treating you.

Heather – wow, those allergic reactions seem very scary. I am glad you are feeling better today.

JJ – how did the DS b-day dinner go last night? I am sure you guys had fun. No more snow last night, but we reached record lows for Denver last night. It was so cold this morning I was tearing at the bus stop. Oh, also I got accepted at a graduate program at Univ Minn and went out there for a visit in February. OMG, I am so impressed that people can live there. It was so cold. I am embarrassed to say that was one of the reasons I chose not to go there and go to PSU instead.

Wendy – that’s great that you got in your workout this morning. Now you don’t have to try to squeeze it in tonight. Veggie soup sounds so good right now. Nice and warm!!

Dani – no DOMs from shoveling yesterday. I love lemon flavored stuff too. My friend, who is from Italy, made me a bottle of limoncello once. Wow, it was so good.

OUCH OUCH OUCH :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I posted about cathe's class over in OD. Check it out

Dani- I'd rather walk to Vegas than do that class again. It would probably be easier!!! I love making chocolate covered pretzels and will be doing it this weekend. The only problem is once I melt the chocolate, I start covering EVERYTHING in chocolate. Spoons, cookies, bread, crackers, chocolate. I figure everything tastes better with chocolate on it!!!

Heather- Food labels can be VERY misleading. My boys ate multi grain bread and needed an epi shot and a trip to the ER because some multi grain breads use peanut shavings for flavor. You think they would put that on the package!!!!!

Vilma- Asthma stinks. My boys have the nebulizer. It's awful this time of year when everyone starts getting colds. But fortunately, we've avoided the asthma flare ups this far. I am loudly knocking on wood right now!!!!

Wendy- I am stealing your veggie soup recipe!!!! I printed it out so it's mine right??? I will give you full credit when I serve it, I promise.

JJ- I am NOT stealing your cookie recipe!!!!! Actually I have one just like it. And the result goes in the trash every year!!! Who knew you weren't suppossed to melt the butter in the microwave. The recipe said SOFT BUTTER. How much softer can you get????

Hi to all PEEPS
Have a great day
ellie

Ellie--I'm going over to read about your class next, I'm sure I'll feel happy I'm on the Cathe Lite program, LOL! Oh, on the veggie soup, I've also added these other things to it before: zucchini, green beans (frozen), and drained kidney beans. It's kind of like a "throw in whatever you have in the crisper/pantry/freezer" veggie soup, LOL. It's also good if you top with some parmesean cheese...But easy and it makes A LOT OF SOUP. My mom and I usually share a batch. I hope you like it!! :)

Karin--Enjoy cc tonight!

:) Wendy

Ok, Hell has officially frozen over! I know because Sin City is under a blanket of frosty white! It's really pretty, but I friggin' moved away from Alaska to the Desert BECAUSE I HATE SNOW!

We had our cookie exchange tonite after work! WOW!!! what a sugar extravaganza! OMG! I have never seen so many cookies in on e place at the same time... other than the grocery store cookie aisle! Needless to say, I didn't get a workout in, unless you consider walking around the conference room table picking up cookies a workout!

JJ: at least yours were pretty! I had quite the opposite result... mine were just OK on the glamour scale, but they were yummy... just not very uniform, but as in nature, no two are alike!

Wendy: yes, the Russian Tea Cakes are the ones rolled in powdered sugar... not much else to them... about the easiest cookies I have ever made and oh-so-yummy!

Russian Tea Cakes recipe: 1 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2-1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cups walnuts or pecans finely chopped...

cream butter, add pow sugar, salt and vanilla. add flour and nuts and mix well. form into 1 inch balls and place on PAM sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes (just until the bottoms start turning a golden brown. cool on baking rack and roll in powdered sugar...

Ellie: LOL and totally agree! everything is better dipped in chocolate! I have made spoons and choco covered cherries too! that was a chore! the pretzels are still my fav though! I love the salty and choco together! I'm also laughing at your "soft butter" ~ hey, that's what I would have done! :p

Karin: did you guys get any more? I don't think anyone here owns a snow shovel, but could I borrow yours for a day or so? :)

look forward to the grunts and groans, bitches and moans, and all talks of DOMS from the Peeps who joined Cathe today!

hugs to all!

Last edited:
Ok, I just got back from the gym. I was on the bus for 2.5 hours tonight because of the traffic. I was so proud though because I went and worked out at the gym after that heinous commute. My legs hurt!! I did the elliptical but I used an iclimb workout instead of CC. I felt like doing something I was comfortable with instead of something new.

Dani - girl, what the heck is going on in Vegas? I am sending my my shovel tomorrow :D. Your cookie exchange sounds cool. Did you get any yummy ones?

Ok, I just got back from the gym. I was on the bus for 2.5 hours tonight because of the traffic. I was so proud though because I went and worked out at the gym after that heinous commute. My legs hurt!! I did the elliptical but I used an iclimb workout instead of CC. I felt like doing something I was comfortable with instead of something new.

Dani - girl, what the heck is going on in Vegas? I am sending my my shovel tomorrow :D. Your cookie exchange sounds cool. Did you get any yummy ones?

Hey, no Mexican tonite? Good job on the workout! I MUST get back on the wagon tomorrow! UGH!

cookie exchange was fun, and we did get some good stuff... things I would have never thought of! mini m&m oatmeals, some really cute santa cookies, a few cookie bars (not sure what they are called) lots of oatmeal and oatmeal/raisens, haystacks, macaroons, something called potato chip cookies (or something like that - couldn't get myself to try those yet)... not to toot my own horn, but I think my fav's were my lemon bars! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.