6 Monthers, STS, Thursday

Good morning ladies. It's after 8am and nobody started us off? Hope you all are having a good morning (so far).

Kim, I'm sorry, but what is that virus? Or don't I want to know? Please be careful and steer clear!

OK....just got done with Disc 36 Shoulders, Bis, Tris. WOO HOO!!!!! Last DVD in that Meso 3 'book' and I'm psyched. I'm feeling like a run to celebrate, so after I drop the kids at Rec, I'm going to lace up and go outside for a short run, maybe 3 or 4 miles. I need to loosen up my glutes (Jo, how YOU feeling today?).

BBL

Gayle

Don't mind me. I'll just sit here and talk to myself all day! LOL

Hope you're all busy, but in a good way.

I just got back from that run. I decided to hit the bike trail instead of running in town here. The trail is gravel and shaded so it was a good choice for this HOT HUMID day. I did exactly 4 miles (ran 2 out, turned around and came back) using my running (Garmin) GPS. 34 minutes; not bad for my first time our on the road instead of the treadmill. I'm SOAKED. But I'm not taking a shower just yet because NOW it's time for my all time favorite chore.....CUTTING THE GRASS!

Can I get a YUCKITY YUCK YUCK from you all please! :p;):rolleyes::):D

Time to chug some H2O and hit the yard! BBL Hopefully somebody else will be here then! :)

Gayle

Yuckity Yuck Yuck!

Hi Galye, you are so chipper to day, not that you aren't on other days, but your comments made me smile this morning!

I just finished disk 30, I couldn't do all the reps on the last tricep exercise, but other than that did really well! High fives on finishing meso 3! I can't believe I'm not far behind!

Jo, I have no idea how else to attach the thread so here is a copy of one of the articles that explains the undulating rotation more. Sorry that it is so long! I'll also go check what the name of the thread was so you can go look at it too. And again, remember the rotation is ready for download on the rotation page in the WM I think the username for Chris is Christos or something like that.
Periodization for Personal Trainers
Tony Boutagy, BHMS & Len Kravitz, PhD

Periodization Overview
Periodization is an approach to resistance training programming that includes systematic alternating cycles of weight lifted (intensity) with total repetitions or volume (repetitions x sets). The roots of this exercise program design date back to the 1950’s and early 1960’s where European coaches, trainers and sports scientists were coaching some of the greatest athletes of that period. The coaches and trainers determined that no matter how fit the athletes were, they just couldn’t continue to train harder and harder. So the trainers did something quite revolutionary with their athletes’ training schedules. They methodically had the competitor’s complete resistance training phases that included high-volume, low-intensity resistance workouts, and then alternated these cycles with low-volume, high-intensity training phases. Eventually this scheme of resistance training filtered to coaches and trainers throughout the world.

The theoretical roots of periodization come from the Canadian scientist, Dr. Hans Selye, who first presented the General Adaptation Syndrome (G.A.S.) theory (Kraemer, 1998). This theory suggests that the body adapts to training in three different phases. The first phase is characterized as the alarm stage. This is the introduction of the resistance training program where the exerciser experiences a lot of soreness and stiffness due to the ‘shock’ of the exercises on the body. The second phase of the G.A.S. is the resistance phase. In this phase, the body is adapting to the demands of exercise and is becoming stronger. The third phase is referred to as “exhaustion” or fatigue, caused by training too hard or too long without sufficient recovery. Overtraining is a practical occurrence of what might be occurring in the third phase of the G.A.S. To avoid the exhaustion phase of the GAS, there must be some type of orderly change in the stimulus.

Methods of Periodization
Frequent changing of the training variables - which include the number of sets, number of repetitions, exercise choice, exercise sequence, speed of movement and rest between sets – can lead to almost limitless options in training strategies (Kraemer & Hakinnen, 2002; Fleck & Kraemer, 2004). However, to date, research has only investigated two of the most popular methods of periodization: the traditional (linear) model and the non-traditional (undulating) model.

Traditional (linear) periodization
The traditional way that resistance training has been periodized is to progress from low intensity (high repetition) programs to high intensity (low repetition) programs over a period of time, such as several months. This approach has often been termed the linear approach to periodization due to the smooth reduction in repetitions over time. This method was first used by the weightlifters from the former Soviet Union in preparation for a major competitive event and was popularized outside of the eastern bloc by the Russian strength expert L.P. Matveyev.

This approach to changing the intensity of the load lifted from light to heavy is most recommended to clients with under a year’s lifting experience (King, 2003; Plisk & Stone, 2003). This ensures that the lifter is exposed to gradual increases in load in a progressive manner, thereby allowing the appropriate musculo-skeletal adaptations to take place, minimizing the risk of injury. A sample repetition scheme for a client under a year’s lifting experience is listed below. Notice that the load increases, therefore the repetitions decrease, in a stepwise fashion as the program moves from month to month.

Sample beginner’s repetition scheme
Weeks 1-4 5-8 9-12 13-16 17-20
Repetitions 12-15 10-12 8-10 6-8 4-6
Work Sets 1 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5

Non-traditional (undulating) periodization
The most recent method of program variation to be researched is termed undulating periodization, also called the non-traditional model. The traditional approach of program progression was most suitable to preparing athletes for one major event, but with the need for athlete’s to compete at high levels for extended periods of time over the competitive season, another approach was required. The undulating method of periodization was first developed by top Russian scientist Dr Yuri Verkhoshansky, and involves a more pronounced varying of the load lifted (intensity). Essentially, the intensity can be manipulated over a monthly basis or during the same week. Intermediate clients with lifting experience between 1-2 years would be advised to progress the programs in this manner over a monthly period. And advanced lifter’s with 2 or more years experience would be best recommended to vary the training loads on a daily basis.

An example of undulating periodization for intermediate and advanced clients is shown below.

Sample intermediate repetition scheme
Weeks 1-4 5-8 9-12 13-16 17-20
Repetitions 12-15 6-8 10-12 4-6 8-10
Work sets 1 3-4 1-2 4-5 2-3

Sample Advanced repetition scheme
Days Monday Wednesday Friday
Repetitions 4-6 12-15 8-10
Work sets 3-4 1-2 2-3

The research
Science is constantly researching and comparing different methods of training. Some of the traditional approaches commonly used by personal trainers have been shown more recently to be inferior to and less effective than other methods of training (ACSM 2002). The recent studies by James Marx and his colleagues (2001) and by Bill Kraemer’s group (2000) have shed enormous light on the differences in training approaches.

James Marx’s research, which was conducted over a 6 month period, compared a non-varied program of single sets with a program using undulating periodization. His work found that the periodized group had a higher magnitude of change in muscular performance over the 6-month training period. Those who used the periodized approach demonstrated larger increases in all categories tested: upper and lower body maximal strength, muscular endurance, muscular speed and power. The periodized subjects also showed measurably better physiological changes related to decreases in percent body fat, increases in lean body mass, decreases in serum cortisol, and increases in serum IFG-1 and testosterone levels.

Professor Bill Kraemer’s group again clearly demonstrated undulating periodization to be more effective than a single set program. This 9 month study resulted in the undulating periodized group having significantly greater increases in strength and motor performance when compared to the single set model.

The Physiology of Periodization
Most individuals have approximately 50% of slow-twitch and fast-twitch fiber types, although this varies comparatively between people, and also within a person’s body (McArdle, Katch & Katch, 1996). The physiological and metabolic characteristics of slow-twitch endurance fibers, and fast-twitch explosive strength muscle fibers are thoroughly discussed in nearly all current exercise physiology texts.

Contrariwise, the physiological explanations why periodization programs work so effectively are just beginning to be understood by exercise scientists. One accepted explanation is that the systematic training approach of periodized programs provides a satisfactory overload to specific muscles fiber types while other fibers are getting necessary recovering (Kraemer, Fleck & Evans, 1996). Thus the recovery is inbuilt in periodization training design. The alternating training sessions of high-volume, low-intensity with low-volume, high-intensity provides a satisfactory stimulus/recovery for the different types of muscle fibers, minimizing the possibility of experiencing the exhaustion phase of the G.A.S.

By simply varying the intensity of your client’s programs based on their lifting experience – using either the traditional (linear) approach or the undulating model – you will be adopting the methods and strategies used to produce the world’s top strength athletes. Research has clearly demonstrated that these methods will significantly improve a client’s progress towards their fitness goals and result in superior gains when compared to simpler, non-varied single set regimes.

I found the thread name where there are a bunch of good posts regarding the undulating rotation, I think if you search the threads with this title you should find it:
Suggestions for after STS rotations

Thanks for helping me figure out the substitutions for the dvds! I kind of had a feeling ME would be ok in place of Muscle Max. I really want to add these titles and then some more to my collection, but I never have anything to let people get me for my birthday because I always get what I want when I want (Am I spoiled or what????) I guess I look at it as being blessed...:rolleyes: Anyway, my birthday is not until september, and I am making a whishlist and making myself wait to get new stuff for a change!

Have a great day you all!
Have I mentioned lately how much I love checking in with all of you! You guys are just wondeful!

By the way, Gayle, Hubby and kids say to tell you thank you for the recipe of the black bean meatballs. I made them last night and we all just gobbled them up! Yum!

Friday I'm trying Rachels CHicken Terazzini (spelling?)

WooHoo!!! I feel like a million bucks! Disc 36 done! High 5 Gayle!!!!

I did good with weights and reps, but I still struggled some with biceps...oh I made it through...but it was challenging! Tomorrow is plyo legs and then it's a wrap! We will have done every single disc and every single workout in the entire STS series! WOOHOO!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! Let me say that again: I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! :eek: And then Gayle, girl, you went and did a RUN! You rock!

Cendrine, thank you so much for posting that information. I will have to come back and read tonight when I have more time. I'll do so some searching then too! As I mentioned yesterday, we're taking the office to the afternoon Mariner game so I must get to work to get some things done!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Now, if only the sun would come out....:p

Jo,
as Cathe says in one of her workouts: high fives, high fives! You are done!

Have fun at the game this afternoon! Take your time reading the article, it is quite interesting, it actually verbalized some things I had been thinking but didn't quite know how to say, so it really feels like the thing for me to do next.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......I'm feeling a group hug coming on! LOL

Cendrine, I admit I didn't read that whole post about undulating rotation. lol I can't sit still long enough for a rest between Squat Rack Legs, so you KNOW I can't sit long enough to read that.

Jo, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT either! Unbelievable and this long rotation did NOT seem like chore or something I HAD to do. On disc 36 this morning, the first rounds were tough for me, especially the overhead shoulder press with barbell. I think it's because I increased my weights for that on the first week of Meso 3 (know what I mean?). Concentration Curls were hard for me today too, and those last 2 sets, 2 reps or so were forced reps. OH! And those cross body tri extensions, yeah, some of those were forced reps too (again, I think because I fixed my #s in week 1 of this meso). Anyway....it's DONE!

I ended up cutting the grass (yeah, yuck) and then kids and I had lunch and THEN we went to my friend's house across the street to swim. She's given us permission to use the pool as needed/wanted (what are best friends for, right?), so we went in today and had some fun fun FUN! Now I'm trying to decide if I should shower or just change and put on a hat. I mean, I'm not going anywhere and I'm just going to get all sweaty tomorrow morning (can you say PLYO LEGS)! Decisions, decisions.

Cendrine, you commented on my being chipper today. Yeah, I woke up and it's like nothing can bring down my mood. And I guess I should realize why....I've got 2 well-adjusted healthy boys, it's Summer Vacation, I'm 'communicating' with a wonderful man (remember I mentioned him a while back, the ex fiance, we're meeting up sometime next week), I'm surrounded with fine people and I'm checking in with AWESOME WOMEN!!!!! Cloud 9, I guess you could say!

Gotta scoot! BBL

Gayle

Gayle, H1N1 was previously called the swine flu. It's a new virus that seem to start in Mexico this spring but has spread world wide. The WHO has declared it a pandemic at this point. I'm surprised it hasn't been in your local news.

Kim, I knew about the swine flu, I just didn't know it was called H1N1. We are kind of scared around here too, but fortunately we haven't had any major or confirmed (or even possible) cases.

Gayle

This will probably be a short post for me...I just could not believe that I heard on the radio that Michael Jackson died. I mean I am not a huge fan now but when I was growing up everyone was a huge fan! He was only 51. Then there is Farrah Fawcett and Ed Mcmahon...My mom always says people die in threes...And now I will never hear the end of it:rolleyes:.

It was squat rack legs for me. I tried to add weight to every exercise. Except Deadlifts...I don't like to mess around when it comes to those. I do what the card says! So I hope after all that adding I will gets some doms this week. So far I am getting them from plyo but not squat so I thought I might not be going heavy enough!

Gayle-Is that the end of sts glee I am seeing in all of your post? :D You go girl! You did it! And then a run...My hero!

Jo-Can cellulite look good...Hmmm...Nope!:D But less cellulite can huh? I hope you have the best plyo workout tomorrow!

Cendrine-I tried to read the article but I could not give it the attention I needed to to understand it. But I need something after sts and before I do it again in the fall so this might be something for me.

Kim-I hope you are avoiding the germs. It is weird how when swine flu first came on the news it is all you heard about and now I don't think I have heard anything about it in a good while! That is how it goes though. They get everybody to panic and then you don't hear anything else about it.

I know I should know this but what is CLX?

Gals I must go but I will bbt.

Rachel

Mary Julie Chrissy I hope you are having a great workout day!

CLX, is Chalean Extreme, it's a beachbody product. It's a 90 day rotation.

Swine flu was renamed H1N1 as the pork industry was expressing concerns that it was affecting their business. It's still the headlining topic in our daily news but I think because our province has been hit hard. The hospital is bursting at the seams, it's going to be hard summer for staffing. Our news went from the flood to H1N1.

Okay, I've been avoiding working out for some reason just don't feel like it. Went to watch ds's last hockey game for the season.So now off to do disc 30.

Will catch up on personals later. Kim

Hello AGAIN, girls! :p

Rachel, yes! It must be end of STS glee. I didn't think about that! I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm going to do next week, but I'll figure it out for SURE!

Jo, PLYO tomorrow, baby!!! I can't wait! Bring it ON, Cathe!

I'm working on putting together a training plan for the Half. Nothing fancy, just an extra run or 2 each week with a progressive long run on the weekend (or whenever it fits the home schedule). I'll probably just keep things the way they are (weights 3 days and cardio the other 3 days) and perhaps double up one upper body day with a run (like today). I don't want to go ALL running for a few reasons, boredom and missing Cathe's cardio being 2 of those reasons. lol So many options, hugh? Such a rough life, trying to decide between all these workouts!

OK....icing my PF while DS watches SpongeBob. Headed to bed a bit earlier today since I'm beat from all the stuff I did today.

G'Night!

Gayle

Oh the game was FUN! The Mariners won! They played the San Diego Padres and won 9-3. This was an action packed game! We had great seats...it was about 66 degrees with slight overcast skies...perfect weather for watching a game! The downside was the traffic - I drove 4 of us and what should have taken us 45 minutes took 2 hours and 15 minutes due to an accident. We missed the first inning but "oh well!"

Rachel, we heard about Michael Jackson when we were at the game...shocking! And of course I had read about Farrah Fawcett this morning. Boy that was tragic. On a good note, are you going deep enough on your squat legs? I think Chrissy found once she went deeper she felt it more! And yes...cellulite looks good if you realize it looks better than a month ago! :cool::p Okay, that's a stretch...but what if, just what if, I ACTUALLY made it go away after all these years? Let's check back at the end of the year! :eek:

Gayle, yes it's plyo and then I'm going to Press Play on Saturday and take recovery on Sunday! I am excited that I'm finishing this with you! And yes, what about that ex-finance? I was thinking about that the other day you haven't mentioned him in a while! I was wondering if anything is brewing? :D

Cendrine, I found the Chris rotation and will look at it this weekend. I see you posted a rotation as well! I will also spend time reading and absorbing your post on Saturday too! I can't wait for you to finish this Meso too! High 5's to you on Disc 30! Don't you love the arm work in this Meso?

Kim, I hope you don't catch that nasty virus! In fact I know you won't! Like Rachel said, the news around here kind of died out about it. I know there were several cases and we had two people die here in WA, (in fact one guy was the 2nd person in the US to die) but they both had serious underlying health issues. We have hand sanitizer everywhere...it seems most people have a pump on their desk (including me) and many of the grocery stores have them for when you enter or exit the store. It's scarey stuff that's for sure!

Okay, I need to do some email. Sleep, then dreams of Plyo legs! Nighty night y'all!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.