6 Monthers, STS, Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!

banslug

Cathlete
Good morning, ladies.

I'm about to hit disc 19 Chest, Sh, Tris. Just had to post real quick to say I stepped on the scale and I'm down about 2.2 pounds and am exactly 3 itty bitty pounds away from my first BIG GOAL! Once I hit those last 3 pounds, anything beyond that is just icing on the cake! I just couldn't resist stepping on it, especially considering how my clothes have been fitting lately....I just HAD to!

OK....time to hit the workout. Be back when I'm done, and HURTIN!

Gayle

OK....disc 19 DONE! I keep losing track of what disc number I'm on, if I'm not looking at my notebook! LOL I cannot believe just how much these workouts ROCK! I did so much better than last week on this disc. I DID decided to adjust my 1RM for the overhead shoulder press double wave load. And was able to squeak out all the sets with EFFORT! MAN! I tacked on the Extended Stretch. I know I keep saying this, but I SO LOVE that stretch. I look forward to it and I really feel it's helped my flexibility tremendously!

OK....my day looks like this: Church at 11am, Younger DS remains afterward for rehearsal for next week's First Communion, pick him up at 1:30 and it's straight to the ball field with both boys for their team pictures. Then the rest of the day will be calm.

I have to share this with you ladies. Do you remember a few weeks back when I mentioned my love life and how I was breaking up with this current BF and that my ex-fiance and I had been emailing? Well, said ex-F will be CALLING ME TONIGHT, straight from the heart of Baghdad! (He's active reserves and has been over there for almost one year now...scheduled to come home next month!) We've been emailing and discussing (as best you can, thru email) a few things and he's asked if he can call. I'm surprised at just HOW MUCH I WANT him to call. So I'm eager and anxious for the kids to go to bed tonight. He's 7 hours ahead of me so I said I'd stay up late for him to make an early morning (for him) phone call. I feel like a giddy little girl again! LOL But keeping my expectations to a minimum and not getting ahead of myself.

OK.....I need to shower, but want to share my PLANNED menu for the day:
M1: Chicken Salsa wrap (done, and last one, so I'll need to make more this week)
M2: 3 egg whites, 1 C cantaloupe
M3: Chicken Coconut Soup
M4: small banana, 2 lite string cheese
M5: Cendrine's Super Energy Soup, tilapia fillet
M6: BSN protein drink/shake

Gayle

Good morning to all!
It is crumby weather here but it is my rest day so I don't need the sun for energy:D I got up pretty early and did not turn one light on and just watched my tivoed episode of grey's. It was kind of nice to relax for a minute.
We had a rain out last night at the lake. We had enough time for b-day festivities and they had cke but no smores...in turn no roasted banana. Maybe next time. But it was still great watching the little rug rat run around and water a tree when ever he felt like it if you know what I mean. Good thing we were in the woods:eek:

Gayle I know what you mean about keeping the disc # straight, I thouhgt I was the only one! Glad to see I am not alone in this one. Now onto this Ex F...You always sound so busy I don't know how you have the time for extra cariculars.:D:DBut I am glad you have that giddy feeling. You will have to let us all know how it goes.

Well I guess I have to go clean something since the weather is not going to let me out of the house and I will have no excuse...But I am sure I will bbl to check in.

Rachel

Hi Guys,

I was up early as well, and I made protein pancakes for everyone. Unfortunately ds woke up with a fever. I hope it's nothing serious. Since he's sick, I can't teach sunday school today and there was noone to sub for me, so the children's ministry pastor decided to do it herself, she's so nice!
So I will be home taking care of the kids and hopefully get some down time in the process, reading. My son's homeschool materials came yesterday (he asked to be homeschooled again for 1st grade) So all I want to do is be deep into all the books for prereading and planning. This sort of thing really energizes me! The program is so amazing, I wish I'd have been taught that way, and in a way I get to catch up...:)

m1 protein pancakes and strawberries
m2 strawberries, greek yogurt and oatmeal (strawberries are so sweet right now!)
m3 salad, chicken, tomatoes, nuts
m4 leftover tomato,chicken soup
m5 chicken stir fry

Gayle, you just keep on loosing the lbs! How fun is that! And you are sooo close! Maybe another week and you might be there! I feel like you, anyhting beyond the goal set is icing on the cake! I am antys to find out what my stats will be at the end of my month for measuring! I hope I get some icing!LOL

Rachel, sorry you didn't get to do the marshmallows and your banana! I hope you are not stuck with all that chocolate at home! Give it away, give it away! This is from a chocolateaholic! Chocolate is my number one love!

Here's that mushroom barley soup I mentioned. I add chicken to make it a complete meal:

Barley Mushroom Soup
The crimini mushrooms and tawny port gives this mushroom barley soup extra flavor. It is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of barley.

Prep and Cook Time: Prep time: 20 min; Cook time: 55 min
Ingredients:

½ cup pearl barley
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced in ¼ inch cubes
2½ cups crimini mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
½ cup Tawny port
1 TBS + 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 TBS chopped fresh thyme
½ TBS chopped fresh sage
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
Rinse and soak barley in 1 cup of warm water while preparing rest of ingredients.
Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Add drained barley and Tawny Port and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add rest of broth, bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until barley and carrots are tender.
Add herbs, salt and pepper at end of cooking and serve.
Serves 4

1 serving is 518g, 229 calories, 11.78 g protein, 35g carbs, 2.6 g fat

If you want to make it totally clean, just sub the wine and add more broth instead.

Cendrine-I've been meaing to ask about your name. It's very pretty, yet unusual. Is there a story behind it???

Just curious! Headed out to baseball pictures.

Gayle

The race is done! I noticed that none of you volunteered to run with me.;) Well, DH ran the full half marathon (13.1 miles) and finished in 1:38 ( we don't have official times yet). My friend and I ran the first half (6.7 miles) in about 66 mins. Then my ds (age 12) and my MOM (age 65) took over the relay and ran their half (6.4 miles) in about 65 mins :D:D:D

At the end the relay teams are supposed to run the finish line together and ds sprinted way past me:rolleyes: We had a nice pancake breakfast afterwards. Fun event. I thought it was so great that ds and his grandma did the race together, it sounds like they got alot of attention while running. My mom and I did Stretch Max together afterwards.

Gayle WTG on the weight loss! Sounds like some nice vacation ideas you're throwing around. Lots of choices! We did a Disney cruise in December and really enjoyed it. Enjoy that phone call!

Rachel Sounds like the bday party went okay even with the rain. Did your nephew enjoy the toys you bought?

Cendrine I've been wondering about your name as well, it's very pretty! Hope ds is feeling better soon! Thanks for the belief in me that I could have run the whole race but I was quite happy about mile 6 that I was not running the whole thing!

Mary Thaks for the well wishes to the race, I love the fact that we can make it such a family affair even if both my mom and son beat me. Lots of exercise for you yesterday! I hope you got some rest time last night!
Kim

Last edited:
Kim I can not believe the energy you have! Obviously you get it honest with your mother joining you in the race. What an experience for your son to have and a wonderful memory as well! You are so lucky, but I am sure I do not have to tell you that.
My nephew loved the little stuff we got him. It was just a bunch of the $1 stuff from target. But his favorite thing was the 49c shiny wind catcher. It was his favorite color...green. It was so nice to see the whole family. He thought the greatest thing was taking a big swig out of his drink and spitting it out. He would just laugh and laugh in his own little world. I told my brother I wished life could stay that simple...We both laughed at that. :D

Cendrine the soup looks delish and I will have to try it. Keep posting those recipes and I will try to keep up with you.

Tonight I am going for Muscle Spaghetti w/ meatballs.
I have been making it for a while but I did change the recipe a little.

1lb ground white turkey
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 egg white
1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese
2 tbsp.grated lowfat parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp.dried oregano
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tsp oregano
1 28oz. can whole tomatoes
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fresh basil torn
12 oz whole grain spaghetti

1 In a large bowl combine first nine ingredient. Shape into 16 meatballs, approximately 2"wide.
2 In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook the meatballs until golden brown. Cover with foil and place in the fridge.

3 Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garli and oregano and cook for one minute. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and reduse heat and simmer for one hr.

4 Uncover sauce and break up tomatoes with awooden spoon. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Add meatballs to sauce and basil. Cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, then serve with pasta.

Now I change this up a bit. But here are the stats.

4 servings

Calories 539
fat 7
sat fat 1
Trans 0
Cholesterol 67
Sodium 201mg
carbs 78
Fiber 3
sugars 7
Protein 46

This was in the Oxygen April 2008 issue.
Rachel

Rachel, that looks like a yummy recipe!

Kim, I cannot imagine my mom running anything! Hats off to your mom! How amazing is that! I just made that a life goal, to run a race with one of my grandkids! (if I have any...:p) Honestly though, I do hope I will be able to maintain my current fitness level even when I am retired and getting older!

You think Cathe will still be making workouts on dvd when she's a grandma?

Those of you who were wondering about my name. My parents had a thing for special names. They wanted to give us such special names that we would not need a middle name.LOL! I've had my share of trouble with people spelling it and pronouncing it wrong thanks to it being so unusual...:confused:
It is a french name and it basically means Cinderella:eek:

Good Day all you 6 Monthers!!!

The sun is shining today, but it's still a little chilly for my bones (about 65 degrees). I will be really happy when we start getting a steady 80+ weather. I did a lot of relaxing today, thrown in with little cleaning. DS has a school project due on Tuesday that he needed a few extras from the store to complete, so we just got back from the store with a bag full of "extra" stuff that I really hadn't planned to buy!!!

Gayle- I am so excited about you re-establishing a relationship with your ex-F. It's been a long time since I've had that new giddy feeling over a man (I've been married 22 years), but I know how extra exciting that feeling can be. Maybe we can use the date that your X comes home as our next "challenge date"? You mentioned that he was coming home in a month?? I will need a new challenge date to continue moving forward with the healthy eating after the May 9th challenge ends. WTG with the weight loss!!!! I'm actually thinking of pulling my scale out of hiding and weighing myself. My clothes and eyes are telling me my body is changing, but it would be nice to have a confirmation from the scale also!!

Rachel-So sorry that your were rained out yesterday. I'm glad that you were able to celebrate a little with the Birthday Boy before the rain came. I was rained out last week also for our friends bonfire, and frankly I'm tired of all this bad weather we have been having lately. Your muscle spagetti w/meatballs sounds really good! I do make spagetti a lot for my DH, and I usually sub something else in for myself. But with your recipe I can eat without any guilt!!

Kim-What a great way to spend the day, and to have mom join in as well. Did you get your love of running from your mom, or did she from you??? My parents are in their 80's, so we tend to do the slow shuffle when we are together. Dad has had knee surgery and mom had several hip replacements. They were avid walkers up until about 2 years ago, and now they seem to be afraid of walking for fear of falling
icon9.gif
icon9.gif
. I'm glad you had a great day at the race! I did rest yesterday afternoon, but am still feeling really tired today. Maybe my age is trying to catch up to me, but I'm going to give it a good run for it's money :p:p:p:p.

Cendrine-I hope your DS is feeling better!! It always breaks my heart to see a little one sick! Thanks for the "how to" on the banana shake. I wasn't sure if you used water or milk, and if you added any additional ingredients in. I have everything I need, so I will try this shake tomorrow! I normally work out with nothing but coffee and water in me (I've done this for several years), but this morning I hit a brick wall!! I did Muscle Indurance Cardio and that workout is a killer for me anyway. This morning proved that I have to start fueling my body better, because I thought I was going to pass out a few times. Now I know better, but it's hard for me to change a habit. Starting tomorrow I will start incorporating a little fuel in me before my early morning workout and see how that goes!!! P.S. I also love your name!!!

Jo-HOW GOES IT???? Hope you are having a wonderful restful Sunday. My DH is off getting dinner for us. I usually cook a meal on Sunday, but I just didn't have it in me today. DH was gone most of the day helping out his parents, so he said he would pick up dinner on his way home. I asked for healthy, but in case it's not, I do have back up salmon in the fridge from yesterday that I can fall back on.

OK ladies, I did bring a little work home from the office that I'm going to work on before bedtime. Have a restfull evening, and Gayle I'm sure you will have sweet dreams after your phone call tonight ;);););).

Mary

Mary, using Gayles's ex-f 's return as the next challenge is a great idea! I'm game!
I hope when you do pull out the scales that you get some nice numbers! But I caution you from my own experience, the scale does not say it all. You have been working had building muscle over the last few months, and muscle weighs more than the same amount of fat you might have replaced it with, so don't be discouraged if it's not what you were hoping for. Your clothes are telling you the whole story! I am so proud of you sticking to the challenge so well! And it is great to have you for an excuse to pass up stuff that would not be helpful for my own diet...:D
I hope you like the shake! I work out on an empty stomach and have been for years, simply because it's not practical for me to eat first, or maybe because I want to eat my meal after I've worked up some reason to eat.... But I think I would have a bit more oooomph if I did have something to help fuel the workout. Maybe when I have more time again, oh, in maybe 10 years, I might take the time to eat first and then work out...lol:D

Hi Everyone,
I've been MIA today as we've had company. I haven't gotten to read through this thread so hopefully will be back in a little bit to catch up.

This morning I did Step Heat (oldie but goodie) and it got me good! It's one of those that sneaks up on you! I also did the abs in that workout.

Anyway, hopefully I can catch up before I got to bed, otherwise I'll be back tomorrow! :eek:

Okay I'm back...

Gayle, Congrats on being so close to your goal! YOU GO GIRL! :eek: Also, good luck with that call tonight! I can feel your excitement!!! (I’m excited too!) Your menu looked really good today! (You little clean eater you!) Now, I hope you get some sleep after the call and not end up staying up all night! :cool:

Rachel, boohoo about the rain! And no roasted banana! I was planning on doing some more cleaning today too but then got tied up with company, so I guess it’s have to wait another week! That recipe looks good; I subscribe to Oxygen and they have had some good recipes. I’ve actually only tried a few but they look good! Recently they had a blueberry bran (I think) muffin recipe that I wanted to try. But it’s not on my clean eating program right now so it’ll have to wait.

Cendrine, oh I hope DS is okay and nothing serious; poor little guy! Your menu looked yummy today too! And more recipes - you are too kind! I love that your name means Cinderella (I knew you were a princess!). Yes, you have a beautiful name! I’m like you, I workout on an empty stomach. However, on Saturday’s and Sundays, when I have more time I sometimes have my protein shake first thing, go start laundry, etc. and then workout. But during the week, it’s empty stomach!

Kim, congrats on the race! I DID want to run with you but just couldn’t get there! :eek: That’s a great time you had! I think that’s great that you all participate in an event like that. It sure sets good examples for the kids and what a great family activity. Reading about your mom, made me want to share this: I can’t remember if I told you all this before or not, but my mom is 92 and still drives, lives on her own and walks daily – though she has arthritis and a few other aches and pains (and the beginnings of osteo) she is very fit. She’s been walking since before it was popular! People usually think she is in her 70’s. Though I know I was inspired to be healthy because of her, I think it is in my genes! I should also add, I was raised eating lots of fruits and vegetable so I think that makes clean eating easy for me!

Mary, cold at 65! Here everyone is in tanks and sandals if it hits 65 (not me of course!). I’m up for the Gayle ex-F challenge should she decide we need another goal! I say let’s go ladies! How goes Meso 2 now that you’ve completed this week? It just keeps getting better doesn’t it?

Okay hope you all have a great day tomorrow! :D:cool::eek:

Oh, forgot to post my menu:

M1 - protein drink w/banana
M2 - 2 poached eggs, 1/3 c oatmeal, 1 c strawberries
M3 - Green (I mean GREEN) salad (organic greens, green onion, green pepper, snap peas, asparagus, broccoli and garbonzo beans
M4 - Dover sole w/raspberry chipolte (yes, Mary, compliments of DH!!!! :eek:) steamed broccoli
M5 - 1/2 c cottage cheese w/tangelo

Hello Chrissy, Maggie, Tracy, and Crystal!!! :cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.