6 Monthers, STS, Friday

banslug

Cathlete
be right back, just getting us started and I'm finding we don't duplicate each other so much when I just post real quick and then come back to reply! :)

Don't stand in someone else's shadow when it's your sunlight that should lead the way.

Good morning!!!!! Just finished disc 33 Shoulders, Bis, Tris. Tomorrow is Plyo Legs and since rest days were all mixed up, I think I'll start week 4 of this LAST Meso on Sunday.

Relay For Life starts at noon. Sometime today, since the SUN is actually out for 24 hours I will need to cut the grass (YUCKY YUCKITY YUCK!). But the SUN IS OUT! We've had rain for 2 week straight and it's supposed to be back tomorrow for another 4-5 days!

I'm not sure how much I'll be around on the boards today. I'm also not quite sure what the plan is for the Relay today and tomorrow, either. I have my friend's 3 kids again today, and since it's dry out they'll ALL go to the Rec Program till noon. Then I think I'm taking them all to the Relay for a few hours to walk and get some of this pent-up energy OUT! :) I think by then my sis and mom will be at the Relay so.......

anyway.

Have an awesome day.

Cendrine.....let's make a pact that we'll do this MAINTENANCE thing ONE DAY at a time, starting with today, okay??? I've gotten a bit 'lazy' for the past 3 weeks or so of Meso 3 since I was an FRACTION away from my goal weight. Let's buckle down and fly straight...what do you say?

OH! I almost forgot to share with you guys. THe harvest at the farm this week was a bit disappointing, to be honest. The farmer left a note on the board (which lists what the week's harvest is) saying 'we need heat and sun' and 'the weeks will get better'. Well, I hope so. This is the first week since we started getting stuff that I had to BUY lettuce for my salads. ANYWAY....here is what we got: 4 beets, 6 leaves of Swiss Chard, a kohlrabi bulb, basil & parsley, and a zucchini. I was stumped on the kohlrabi, but I knew I wanted to make a soup this week, so I tossed the chard, kohlrabi and zucchini in a veggie soup with broth, carrots, celery, onions and fresh garlic! HEAVEN! It is so yummy and now I have my yummy soup for the week!

OK.....I'm entertaining my friend's kids, literally.....they talk a LOT! :)

Gayle

Good morning girls!

I love the sts alumni idea.

I am wondering why you girls in meso 3 are just waiting for it to be over? Is it because of the boredom? My goals are to get a lot stronger and really build by butt up to be high and round, and build my lower back as well, so I was thinking that meso 3 would be great for that? I am defering to you all for your opinions. What do you think? I am not giving up on my high round butt goal! I just need the best way to get there!

I am going to do disc 20 now, the lower body is tough for me. I am really going to focus on form today.

BBL Have an awesome day everyone!

julie

Good morning everyone. Sorry I have been MIA. Life just gets in the way of visiting you great ladies sometimes. I did sit down to catch up last night but was literally falling asleep at the keyboard after work, organizing the staff barbeque, PowerMax, making supper, grocery shop and then weeding the garden for 2 hours. The day before I did get disc 26 in before work and then we went to the football game in the evening and didn't get home till way past my bedtime!

Today is squat rack legs for me and then I'm finished the first week of Meso 3!!! This is our last really busy week and then we can start relaxing. DD is skipping school today to go do her piano exam and then I promised her lunch and a trip to Build a Bear afterwards. It's 7:30 am and she is already up practicing, she's very nervous!
Then afterwards we will pick up DH's race packet for the marathon on Sunday. It's going to be hot on Sunday for the run:confused::confused: I"m so glad that I'm not running this year, I've run the full or half marathon for the last 8 years and I'm so glad to have a year off. The kids and I are manning a water station at mile 14 and have to be there for 6:15 am. :confused:

This eveing ds has a hockey game (second last one!)

Thanks for posting pics Chrissy and Gayle!!! I always enjoy putting faces to names and seeing peoples families. I have pics in my photo album if anyone is interested.

DH did pylo legs with me on Monday and is complaining big time still of DOMS. He is saying if he does poorly on his race it's all Cathe's fault:rolleyes::rolleyes: It's amazing how he can run 18 miles with no DOMS but do something entirely different like the pylo tape and he is so sore. He even phoned me at work one day to complain about his legs and he never phones unless one of the kids is sick.

Chrissy That's too bad that you couldn't get a good view of your son's graduation but it sounds like you had a nice time going out to the lunch/movie afterwards. Sounds like a nice idea for a Father's Day gift. :D My dad passed away in 2002 at age 60 but I do buy for DH. We bought him a football jersery for our local team but we gave it to him on Wednesday since we were going to the game. After the marathon Sunday he wouldn't be worrying about gifts anyways;) I'll cook a dinner of his request (steak, veggies and peach pudding) on Sunday.
Thanks for sharing the article.

Rachael You were mentioning changing the barbell weights on dsic 25 takes up all the rest time I found the same thing. I think next week I'm going to use the dumbbells more so I don't have to do so much switiching.

Mary Congrats to your DH on teaching the spinning class! What fun that your ds got to go! Is your ds pretty bruised up from his fall on the tennis courts? I don't have a squat rack either, I going to try that dvd for the first time later today. I'm going to try a 20 lb weighted vest and whatever weight on the barbell I feel comfortable lifting overhead. I just got the barbell at the beginning of STS so usually I just hold my heaviest dumbbells so will have to experiment a bit with the barbell.

Jo. How frustrating on the lost post! Do you still have the hot weather?

Gayle and Julie Sounds like you two are keeping really busy this summer!!

Cendrien I see that you are doing the squat rack workout for the first time today as well, I'll be interested to see how you like it. I had quite the DOMS from the triceps workout. So Dh is doing the whole STS?? How was the pool party!

I love the alumni idea!
Kim

Kim, GOOD LUCK to DD and DH! I think YOU take the title of Busy Beaver for the past few weeks, my dear. Time to settle back, take a breather and RELAX a little bit.

Julie, I'm just impatient. That's all. lol I've NEVER been one to do something for so long. Meso 3 is more repetitive than the other Mesos, simply because you're doing the same exercises each week so that at the end of Meso 3 you can compare week 1 to week 4 (does that make sense)? We see the light at the end of the tunnel and I just want to SPRINT for it! :)

Gayle

Good Morning Everyone!

Today was plyo legs and I wrapped up week 3! Yippee! This Meso is going so fast!

Gayle, WHAH about the vegetables but hopefully there will be more next time! I think it's fun experimenting with new veggies! I've never had a kohlrabi before so wouldn't know what to do with it either! I just recently bought an "Everything Vegetables" or something like that cookbook so I can expand my horizons!

Julie, I'm not waiting for STS to be over. It's that all of a sudden I'm near the end and I'm just setting my sights on completing this rotation! I've never committed and done any program for this length of time and it feels really good! I'm looking forward to doing STS again when the STS Cardio comes out! Did you say a while back you're doing this program with only dumbbells? A friend of mine is interested in STS but only has dumbbells and so was wondering if that's doable.

Kim, it finally is raining today and we're glad. We set a record for heat and no rain for this time of year and so now everyone is complaining about needing rain...here it is! It's supposed to be about 65 today. Congrats on completing Week 1!

Hello Cendrine, Chrissy, Mary and Rachel! Have a great Friday everyone!

Oh, Gayle, loved the inspirational message today!

Hi Guys,

I just did disk 27 biceps, triceps and shoulders. I liked it and worked hard. (My Chiropractor can tell I'm lifting heavier, she has more to adjust in my shoulder upper back area....:eek:) But I'm not planning on lightening up...

Kim, I am still sore from plyo week 1 from Wednesday! I was smiling when I heard your husband is still sore too! I was plannig on doing squat rack legs on Saturday, but I'm not sure if the Doms will be gone enough for me to think it's sensible to add more so I might do it on Sunday instead. You sure sound busy! But a fun busy! Have fun mannig the water station for the marathon!

Jo, thanks for the encouragement! All of you are so good for me! I feel tons better just having shared my struggle with you guys! By the Way, Kohlrabi is something we ate all the time at home growing up. My mom used to boil it and make a bechamel sauce with it, yummy but not exactly clean. Putting in a soup is a great way to eat them. I also have steamed them til just desired softness and then tossed them with chopped parsley, chives and any other herb you like and salt and pepper. STS 6M Alumni sounds good to me. And I have done all of STS so far with dumbells only, so you can tell your friend that it is totally doable, although she may need to go lighter on legs than she would if she had a rack and barbell, but I have seen great results even without pushing the workout manager recommended amount. As far as I am concerned, I have been increasing weight throughout the sts journey slowly but steadily, and I have done well, even if I could have probably done more.

Gayle, I feel so motivated to move on and maintain instead of messing up then compensating then messing up and compensate again. So like you all said, it's behind me and I'm moving on, taking one day at a time (I think I started not focusing on the one day at a time when I started snowballing... ) It is ironic that it takes more effort it seems to maintain than to loose.
I started off well today and will take it even one meal at a time.... (cherry smoothie for my snack today) yummy!

Julie, good luck on working your butt! the plyos will do a lot for you, I think! I'm only saying that because my glutes are still hurting from the first plyo...LOL!

Hi Mary, Hi Rachael! Hi Chrissy!

Hi everyone!! I Havent posted in a while I had a little accident and pulled my upper quad/hip and shoulder. It wasn't STS related I slid on one of my sons toys. I didn't fall but the way I tried to stabalize myself I strained my muscles :( this happened right before I was to start week 4 of meso 2. So I have been unable to work out. Should I jump back in with meso 3 or start over with meso 1?? It has been 4 weeks..
Keep workin hard!!
Tracy

Gayle, I just read how much you squat and deadlift! OMG!!! I am squating with ten punds in each hand! Yu truly amaze me! How long did it take you to get this far?

Hi Tracy! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering what happened to you! Sorry you were out of commission! My suggestion is start over Meso 2 but don't double up the weeks...just do the straight 4 weeks. I guess it really depends on how well healed you muscles are! I don't think I'd jump in into Meso 3 just yet simply because it may be too much of a strain on your muscles in case they are still "tender." I'm glad you're back and able to get busy with us again! :D

Hello Cendrine! Thanks for the feedback on the dumbbells. I'll tell my GF. I don't know that she'll actually do this, but I'm trying to encourage her. I really like the shoulder, tricep and bicep work in this Meso! One thing, people have mentioned about getting bored with this Meso, but I'm really enjoying it. In fact I've enjoyed all of them for different reasons and think when we've moved into the next Meso, I'm ready for it (does that make sense?)

BBL - work is calling me back....

Jo, Yes only dumbels, and ghetto dumbells at that! I have one pair of adjustable dumbells. If i need anything heavier I use cathe gloves with additional sinkers (8 oz each glove plus cathe 1lb). Then in addition to that I attach hand weights to each dumbell. I am able to get to 15.5 pounds per dumbell from 12.5 pounds. You should see me, it is a riot. I guess it could be worse I could have a barbell and load it up with jugs of sand.

Hi Tracey,

good to see you back on the thread! I'm sorry to hear about your injury, how frustrating...BUt I'm glad you are better now.
I am very structured, so I would probably start over with meso 1 but like Jo suggested, I would probably only do it for 4 weeks and then move on. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Jo, I hope your friend gets inspired and does sts. It has been such a great journey for us and I know everyone would benefit to do it. I'm like you, I have enjoyed each meso for it's own differences, it's fun to have so much variety!

Julie, I had to laugh when you mentioned how you add weight to your dumbells....LOL! You must be one busy girl changing the 'settings' inbetween different sets.:)

Gayle, I have meal three behind me and still doing well taking today for today! Yay!

hello everyone

I did plyo legs this morning. Wow-got those jello legs again. Then I did a 1/2 hour of cardio later on. So my legs are feeling really weak right now-:p.
Then I got my hair colored-have to cover up those grays. I think if I ever had to stop coloring my hair I would be 50% gray.- I shudder at the thought.:confused:

Jo- I really like SBT also. I feel really strong when I do that one. I increased my weights alot in that one. I don't think I have gotten that much stronger I just think its because chest or back is not first to fatigue those muscles first. I really like this meso also-squat rack not so much but the other 3 workouts I love. There are different things that I liked about each meso.
I think the northeast has your Washington weather. It has rained here for 3 months. Haven't had too many sunny days. :(. It is getting almost as depressing as the shorter winter days.
You asked how close I am to goal weight. Well.....3 weeks ago I was 10-15lbs away from goal, now after my meltdown 20-25 lbs. UGH! Everytime I get that close to goal I blow it. My nutritionist cannot believe how fast I can gain weight.

Kim- how did your daughter do on her piano exam? I am sure she did great. When you say it is going to be hot there, how hot are you talking? I'm thinking above 80 F~ 27 C (I looked that up:)) Just curious what hot is to you. How did you do with squat rack legs?

Cendrine- how are you doing today? I am doing better. Getting back on track. I listened to this mp3 phone recording today. He said getting lean is a destination (like a road trip). You work hard to stay focused and get where you need to go-its a tradoff for a period of time. BUT staying lean is more of a journey-you need to surround yourself in a healthy food and exercise culture (with people who eat well and exercise). It deals with the ebbs and flows of everday life. And it is much harder than the destination. (of course we have figured that out already)

Gayle-I saw your post on that veggie and you didn't know what to do with it. -lol I probably would have looked at it and said "I'm not eating that!" I have issues with veggies:eek:. In my old age I am adding to the ones I eat. In my 20's I remember going on WW and string beans (the shredded ones in a can) was the only veggie I would eat. So I ate them everyday. To this day I cannot look at them-:confused:.
How did you do with relay for life? Enjoy visiting with your family.

Julie- go luck with that firm round butt-:eek:. Your weights sound interesting. But you found a way to do it!

Tracy- I was wondering what happened to you. so sorry about your injury. I know how hard and depressing it can be to deal with a long term injury- I had my ACL done 2 1/2 years ago. Bummed me out big time. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I agree with Jo. I think you should go back to the beginning of meso 2. Meso 3 maybe too heavy for you right now. Glad to have you back

Hi mary and rachel- I hope you are having a good day.

My kids are bugging me to go in the pool.
BBL
chrissy

Just had to post this:
WOMEN OVER FORTY - THIS IS PRICELESS!

In case you missed it on 60 Minutes, this is what Andy Rooney thinks about women over 40:

As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think. If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting. Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in t he middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it. Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated. Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk if you are acting like one. ;You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her. Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons, unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.

For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?', here's an up date for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!

Andy Rooney is a really smart guy!
Thought that was very funny! I especially like the pig/sausage comment.
chrissy

Sorry i should have made the type smaller. But i can't change it in the edit

Last edited:
Oh my goodness!
Sorry I have missed so much. I told you I was going to get busy:eek:

I just had to go through and read all your post so I hope I took good notes:p

So foar I have got 3 meso 3 workouts in this week (counting plyo). Yesterday was squat rack legs and I did cot get sore either Chrissy. I think I am going to try to add a little weight next week, but not a whole lot because like you I do not think I could handle too much more with proper form. Tomorrow will be bi's tri's and shoulder's ( I forget what #) and I am looking so forward to it! I love a good bi workout!

I missed one cardio workout this week due to a faulty alarm! I think I need a new cell phone. (alarm clock) I was so mad...Every other day I have been waking up before my alarm and for some reason wednesday I did not! Now you watch, tomorrow I will be up at 3:45 am:mad: I think it was the first workout I have missed since the beginning of STS. But I will try to add some cardio tomorrow to make up for Wednesday.

All in all, aside form my glass of wine tonight ( sorry Jo) my eating has been on point thanks to yall. So I would not know what to do if we did not have this checkin. SO I think STS alumni is a great suggestion! Will we wait to start until we are all done or are we going to start when Gayle finishes?

Onto you guys!

Chrissy-Sorry you have had nothing but rain. We are in a terrible dry spell. Usually we have some good storms but we have had nothing, I have seen all the horrible weather up north so I can only imagine how bad the weather has been. My Aunt lives in Kings Mountain NC and she was in a tornado 2 days ago. Luckily her house survived but she said there is alot of damage. I think you would all die in this heat. I can not describe it. It is just so hot. No relief in site.
About the sore quads, The only time I have had really noticably sore quads was from plyo on Mon. They were really sore for a good day and then the next day it was nothing. Weird for me because normally when I am really sore it lasts for a few days!

Mary-You and I are in the same boat as far as worrying about waking up DH. He says I don't bother him but I know he has to hear me sometimes. When I used to have my treadmill in the dining room he used to tell everyone that at about 4:30 in the morning he would hear this loud whirring sound...:eek: I think it is sweet how proud you are of your dh. I feel the same way about mine. He is not teaching a spinning class or anything but he is so fun to be around and everyone likes him. So I am always wondering...How did he end up with me?

Gayle- Love the pics. It was sweet of you to take the time to share with the rest of us. I am living vicariously through your vacation. We probably will not have a vacation until September, but we might as well have been on one almost all of May! I think you have been very patient with sts for someone who says they are not patient! We did a double for goodness sake! Hope youe relay went well!

Julie-Tell me what you need from me for the p90x. I know my DH will be interested! He was really interested in the nutrtion guide. Did you get that?
Now about that X of yours...He sounds a little crazy! I hope you can get this behind you.

Cendrine-I am so glad that you want to keep going with our checkin. I think I would miss catching up with you all so much. I am sorry that your eating has not been on target here lately. I know you will be able to clean it up though. I am glad you decided to talk about it instead of keeping it to yourself. I have noticed that this has really helped me get back on track when I fall off the wagon.

Jo-I am really enjoying Meso 3 too. I liked them all but I like the heavy lifting of this one. I can really tell that I have gained strength and this one is proving that. When I loaded up my BB for chest presses, I was skeptical but I kicked it out and thought WOW! I am getting pretty tough. Chuck Norris better watch out!:p

Kim-How did dd piano exam go? I know you have probably said a hundred times but how old is she? I was never good at things like that when I was young. The pressure made me want to throw up.:p
Does Dh do STS or just select dvds? I think it is great that he is doing it.

Ok guys I had to take a break to watch my dogs howl...I love it when they do that. It is so Call of the Wild!
I am glad I did not lose this post like some of you did!
Sorry for the long one, Making up for lost time!

Have a great Friday night!

Rachel

Rach,I have 12 dvds.thin kitchen recipe bookextreme home fitness nutrition planextreme home fitness guide* i paged through the fitness guide.* the other stuff i didnt even look at.let me know if you want it.

It's late, but I am so fired up right now and need to chat with somebody! Got home from the Relay for Life about 45 minutes ago and we are ALL TIRED! Just wiped out! I walked 18.5 miles today and my dear son Jacob, who knows me TOO WELL, DARED me to log the 26.2 mile marathon distance before this event is done. How dare he! LOL So, guess what I'm doing tomorrow.....going for the other 7.7 miles! lol It was a great day with gorgeous weather, friends and family. Very inspirational, very emotional and very motivating all at the same time. We ended the night with a rough 30 minutes or so during the Luminaria ceremony when they turn off all the stadium lights and the only light comes from the lit luminaria. Zachary got super emotional during the prayer and it took me quite some time to settle him down. He kept calling Jeff's Luminaria his 'grave' and said he wants to bring it home. I have to find a way, for Zach's sake, to avoid that from happening. It will not be good for him to have that at home with us.

Anyway, after tomorrow is finished and I have some time, I'm going to post about the experience on the OD, with a pic or 2. So keep an eye out if you're interested.

Gotta get to bed and rest up for the next 7.7 miles. My PF is hurting me pretty badly so I popped 2 Aleve and am icing my foot now.

G'Night!

Gayle

p.s. I admit to not reading all the posts since my last one, but Tracy's name caught my eye. TRACY.....I'll read your post/update tomorrow!

And Chrissy, since I'm not 40 yet, am I not allowed to read that??? :)

gayle- no you can read it. I just thought it was very funny.:D

Always wanted to ask you- what is the significance of 'Keep on truckin' Mama' ? Of course only if you want to share.
chrissy

Julie, that gave me a chuck about how you “load up!” Ghetto dumbbells! Good one!

Cendrine, I didn’t know you were doing dumbbells also. I admire both you and Julie for doing it that way. I hit a limit on what I can handle with a dumbbell and then I have to go to a barbell. My arms and wrists just can’t handle it.

Chrissy, on the news tonight they said we were 11 minutes (11 MINUTES) short of setting a record of 29 days without rain (for this time of year!). Yes, we’ve been having unbelievable fantastic weather here and then it finally rained today (thank goodness!). So yes, I guess we’ve been having your weather and you ours! Problem is…we have to have rain! I love those plyo legs! (That’s what I did this morning also!) And, I had a hair appt today too! I had a highlight and cut. Love hair day!

Rachel…WINE? Are you kidding me? I’m sitting here having a lemon drop martini and watching a Chuck Norris rerun! Okay, just kidding! It was a lemon Propel and a Chuck Norris rerun! You’ve done a great job on getting all your workouts in so I wouldn’t worry too much about missing a cardio…maybe that faulty alarm was your body telling you it wanted another rest day!

Gayle, you are a machine! Way to go on the 18.5 miles! (How long did that take?) What a wonderful thing to do and great benefit for you as well! Good luck tomorrow! I’ll be sending you walking vibes!

Tomorrow is rest day for me, but I think I may do a few miles (walking) on the trail if it’s not raining.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.