50 and over week of May 3 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good afternoon Jann, Beth, and Magnolia,

Happy sts week. I'm cleaning my wo area after I post and then to the grocery store.

I can't believe how hard it is to use 2400 calories in a day. No wonder I don't lose 2 lbs a week. The raking was about 1 1/2 hours and burned about 500 calories. I also walked 5 miles on treadmill for 764 calories. The raking didn't use as many calories as last time. I don't know if I can keep up 3 hours of moderate activity.

Joan

Jann
I wonder if we should post in open discussion inviting anyone starting sts to join us here?

I know some days I feel like I've been going non stop, you would think the calories would be in the 3000's! :confused:
I lowered my met number to include 3-5 for moderate. 6 and above for vigorous activity. I don't know if that is hurting me or not yet. :eek:

I have no idea what met value it uses for me. I know my normal life is pretty sedentary so I probably won't change until I see if any weight loss.
I just changed printer cartridge so I could print meal plan since Wed. and my wo cards. I still haven't figured menu out completely but was pretty good. Pizza last night (the last meal) only brought calories for the day up to 1812.

Joan

Hi Ladies!

How is everyone? Joan, are you talking about burning 2400 cal? I thought you got credit for just living and breathing too?

I find it very confusing. On the one hand, you can be eating too much, but then if you don't eat enough- they say you won't lose at all. It really does not make any sense to me. When I was in my 20s, I ate once a day and I was skinny!! (one meal, I did have an apple or something midday.)On the other hand, that might be why it is hard to loose it now. But, I have gone month after month after month of diary keeping 1200 to 1400 cal and the only thing that has worked so far is the consistant weights in the last 3 months. I have lost inches and a few pounds, but not like back in my 20s. I do feel like I am in control now and plan on repeating the program again- as well as bumping up the cardio.

I think I asked this before but did anyone order the new cardio program?

Beth

Hi Beth,

Yes I ordered new cardio. The 2400 calories burned is everything, including sitting around. Since I told them I would not gain weight at 1400 calories, they use that for my baseline I have to do "moderate activity" of 1000 extra calories to supposedly lose 2 lbs per week. If I only eat 1400 calories.

Even if you don't wear armband 24/7 it estimates the rest of those hours as sleeping and sedentary. In 60 minutes of exercise I have been averaging 7 calories per minute. If I just sat there I would have used 1 calorie a minute so there are only 6 calories a minute extra.

Disc 1 uses 391 calories per the workout manager. so 391+1400=1791 and I still need to do 609 calories of something to get to 2400 calories. That would probably be at least another hour and a half.

I know I don't burn the # of calories the workout manager says. Back in Nov-Jan I ate an average of 1550 calories with 6 dvd's a week and only lost 1/2lb per week. Using their numbers I would have expected to lose a pound a week.

It almost sounds like you need to eat more to lose. Tom Venuto in Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle would have you add 100 calories a day, stay there for a week and then add another 100 calories until your body got used to it.

I have always wanted to eat the absolute most I can and still lose weight. I guess I should be happy at 1550 calories and still lose 1/2lb per week. I would eventually lose it all if I never cheated.

I also wonder if you have lost fat but also gained muscle in the last 3 months?

I wish I knew the answer for both you and me. I want the biggest loser losses of 5-10lbs a week. I think I read that almost half of them have gained some their weight back so maybe I will be happy if this time I just stay consistent for at least the next 3 months.

I've printed wo cards and May calendar and will now take the dreaded beginning measurements. Tomorow is the weigh in.

Joan

Good morning Jann, Beth, Magnolia and Deborah,

Yea start of STS.:D

"Official weigh in" 167.5 lbs. Almost down to pre-vacation weight.

Deborah, I never wo early, too stiff in morning.

I'm going to do abs first. I remember last time I wouldn't have had desire or energy to do after disc 1.

I'll be back later.

Joan

STS Disk 1 done! All right ^5 -- The party has started.

Beth I can't figure out calories either that's why I am hoping this GWF helps. I am tracking calories burned and consumed trying to find the answer for me. :confused:

Joan are you doing Cathe's rotation? I'll be doing my own cardio. I have to work in my yard work and I won't be able to do it all. I know I'll get to tired. I am going to look at her suggestions though as a guide line.

Hey - Deborah welcome!
Magnolia how's CLX working for ya? Still going?

Yea start of STS.:D

"Official weigh in" 167.5 lbs. Almost down to pre-vacation weight.

greenstars.gif

Jann,
I will try to do rotation as written including cardio and abs. I have trouble with kick boxing so that I will probably change.

My back and ankles are really hurting from the 4-5 miles a day on treadmill to get calorie burn up. I think I may have to eliminate on weight lifting days.

Still haven't done disc. I have to take mother to get haircut.

Joan

Back again,

I just finished no equip abs. It just about killed me. I can't believe I'm that out of shape. Back again after disc 1.
Joan

I finished disc 1. I had to lower weight on 5 different exercises.:( I don't know why I'm surprised that I've lost strength since Feb but I am. Don't ever let me stop lifting for more than a two week period, after sts of course.

Tomorrow is Imax2.

Per workout manager disc 1 should use 390.54 calories. I only used 189 calories. So far today only 1866 calories used. Back to the treadmill.

Joan

Joan - It’s only day 1 your body will adjust. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. Don’t be discouraged with the numbers. Today is a cardio day - :D Your numbers will be better!

My HRM died somewhere in the middle of disk 1 so I am not sure how many calories I burned… :(
My total numbers for yesterday were Calories Burned 2461 Calories Consumed 1219 Steps 10417

Today I did step and intervals just the step part and 15 minutes on the treadmill to reach my 300 calories. :)

I am cleaning the garage floor today - that should help burn some calories. :p

Have a good one girls!

Hello ladies, may I join in?

Hi - I just started with STS yesterday (My first attempt at this amazing series) and found your thread....I'm not over 50, but would love to have others who are doing the same workouts to commiserate with! I guess I'll just go ahead and tell you what I've done so far.....

I am doing Cathe's rotation using STS and her cardio DVD's. Yesterday was STS disc 1, plus Ab Circuits No Equipment required (Just alot of determination!!), and today I did IMAX #2. I swear, I've never been so happy to hear "If you like Pina Coladas"!!

I have a question, also: is the extended stretch optional or considered part of the workout? I totally forgot to do it yesterday, I was so busy getting ready for abs and I really regretted it last night!

Great to find this group, I really hope you don't mind me jumping aboard!
Have a great day!

Hi Tricia
balloons.gif
Welcome.

I have followed some of the post from STS check-ins. It seems the extended stretch is a good way to end the work outs but, I didn't notice everyone saying they did it with each days work out. Don't feel guilty. :)

I didn't get to the garage floor today - I decided to mow instead. It didn't rain today and I thought it was dry enough to get it done. My triceps are killing me today - GOOD workout yesterday!! :D

Good Afternoon,

I think the extended stretch is something Cathe wants us to do, but I haven't done them. I always do her stretches when its continues on at end of wo in other series but disc 1 seemed too long.

Welcome Tricia.:D I had started to do STS in Feb but I am CPA and I just didn't have time then. I plan to follow both cardio and abs with sts rotation. Jann and I have the gwf armband.

Sunday calories used 2400, calories eaten 1246 deficit 1164 w 12854 steps
Monday calories used 2099, calories eaten 1645 deficit 454 w 5779 steps
I am trying what Jillian and Tom Venuto suggest by varying calories per day but staying at about an average of 1400 calories per day for the week.

Disc 1 weights used alternating seated oh shoulder press 10lb
barbell curl-used dumbbell -8lb
incline fly-15lb
seated rear delts-5lb
incline curl alternating-reduced to 8lb
incline front raise 5lb
standing qtr stop curls 8lb
seated lateral raise 5lb
seated concentration curls 1.5-10lb
side leaning lateral raises-5lb
seated curls alternating-10lb could do all on right not only 8 on left arm
chest flys-15lb but it seemed too much
seated over head press reduced to 8lb
preacher curl reduced to 8lb
seated front press 1.5 reduced to 5 lb dumbbell
reverse cumbell curl 5lb
incline rear raise 5lb
barbell curl-again used dumbbells 8lb.

I hoped everyone took measurement so we can see the changes at the end.

I did finish Imax2. I had only done this once so mine was highly modified.
I can't do all the high impact. My calorie burn for that was only 325 calories.

Two days down.
Hi Beth and Magnolia,

Jann you were posting while I was typing. Probably took me so long because my biceps are killing me. I only did knee pushups so triceps are not as noticeable. I reallllllly feel abs.
Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.