50 and over week of March 21 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good afternoon,

Sorry about the late start. My goal this week is to check in every day. I always eat a little better when I know I am going to check in. Life is still crazy so I don't know about exercise. I need to at least where GWF to track calories.

Joan

Hi, everybody.

Back is much better. I have been icing 3 times a day and taking Advil. I go back to my chiropractor tomorrow, so we'll see what he tells me then.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend. Have a great one.

Magnolia

Hi Everyone!

Weight check in today-- I lost 2 pounds since last Sunday!!!!
Bananeyessss.gif

The strange part of that is, I was sick all week and hardly exercised- just pilates and I think one day of a walk -- but I counted my food intake all week.
THis week, I plan on continuing the food diary and back to weights and cardio- well see!!!

Hope you get the thumbs up from your chiro, Magnolia!!

Joan, good to see you back!

Jann, hope you are still getting the spring weather- we are back to rain!

Hi Cathy and Linda!!!

Hello. I'm fairly new here to the message boards. I'm Kathy, a little over 50, and trying to get back in shape. I lost a couple of pounds over the last 2 weeks. Trying to lose another 15 pounds. I'm doing Basic Step, Low Max, and Drill Max. I want to build up endurance and muscle mass. I currently visit a nutritionist, who is helping me to improve my diet ( more veggies, less carbs ). I also study tribal style middle eastern dancing ( need more endurance for that ). Good to see other "older" ladies are staying fit.

hey everyone, will be gone again got the kids til tues or wed. so, won't be around for a few days. have a good week!

Hi Cathy enjoy the kids.

Welcome Kathy. Yes, we are more advanced group. ;) Would love to hear how you are doing.

Beth, yeah the rain is here too. I guess I'll have some time to do inside chores. Not nearly as fun! :D Congrats on that 2 pounds!!

Magnolia [[[Magnolia]]] I hope the doc can help your back.

Joan -- please do check in!! It's not all about working out. :rolleyes:

Speaking of working out - :eek: I really need to get back on track. Last week I didn't really care because I was burning calories working outside. This week however.
On Saturday we went to Hershey Park in PA. We went to purchase chocolate mix they don't sell in stores yet. I bought way to much other chocolate - :confused: I plan to give it away at Easter! They pump that chocolate smell in and it really is intoxicating. :p I've only had a couple of pieces of the melt-a-way kisses my DH opened. I told him to put them in his office. Way to easy to pop those little bites in.
Off to hit the weights!

Last edited:
Good afternoon, Y'All!

Jann, I hear ya about the chocolates! ;) We gave them up for Lent. :( You're right about that lovely aroma in Hershey. Far too tempting a place for us right now.

Beth, congrats on the weight loss! :D

I just returned from the chiropractor. My back is almost there--just a minor amount of discomfort (not really pain). I have to do some specific stretches for the next two weeks, continue icing the rest of this week, and I can start working out a week from today. YAY!!!! :D I don't have to go back this time unless I have more pain.

Joan, we know you're busy, but we'd surely would like to hear from you. You'll be back to the regular workouts before you know it.

Welcome, Kathy. You'll find encouragement and support here. I have.

Hope you all have a great day.

Magnolia

Hi Everyone!

Wow! I just had the best day.. I had a friend of mine over to celebrate here birthday- we were going to go to lunch, but both being of the same mind, decided instead to kill ourselves working out- so we did p57 which absolutely makes the thighs shake and wobble-- then I fixed a salad for lunch, then we did insanity pure cardio. It made up for my slacking off last week!

I wish you all lived close by so we could get together every now and then for a workout day!!

Jann, I love chocolate!!! My one true addiction! I just wish it wasn't sooo fattening- is the new mix by any chance a diet brownie mix??

Magnolia, I am glad the back is healing... now just be careful not to do it again!!

Welcome kathy the great! We have another Cathy but she's off riding horses. I recently revisited the basic step and low max and I really like them-- mny 50 year old brain can stay focused on that basic patterning. What is your nutritionist telling you? We are always sharing food plans here (some of us more than others) Righ now, I am eating 5 times a day, keeping each at around 250-300 calories, high protein and no processed foods- I am seeing slow progress, but having had many months of no progress, I will take it!!

Well, be back later- I need a shower:eek:

Hi ladies,

Welcome Kathy.

I had 18 returns come in today and I still had 29 others to finish. Right now I think I will get about 80 more tax returns before April 15th. I don't count mine:p.

I'm too tired to work anymore tonight but I think I'm too tired to sleep. I may read for awhile.

Beth Yea 2lbs. I agree about wo buddies. I don't even know anyone around here that goes to the gym or works out at home.

At least my brother has left, he thinks I starve my mother because I don't have donuts, cookies and other junk around. Unfortunately she and I will both eat it if we see it. He buys it and I eat half of it. I take her out to lunch at least once a week and she gets her desserts. She agrees about not having temptation around but doesn't say anything when he buys it. Since he came to help take to doctor I didn't want to nag too much, but she has gained since he has been here.

Magnolia Glad your back is better.

We had a nice day last Thursday and I played hooky for about an hour to clean up the garden. It was 65 degrees and beautiful. Since then it has been rainy and 36 degrees. I didn't go out today. I think it was a little warmer but still gray out.

Joan

Good morning, Y'All.

Back is a little stiff today. I am being very careful with it! I just want to get it well so I can start working out again. Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes. I'm just going to have to be patient and do what I need to do for it.

I really like Basic Step and Low Max, too. I like simple choreography, but I have been reading in Dr. Amen's book that more complicated kinds of workouts (like a lot of the choreography in Cathe's more advanced step workouts) is really best for the brain and can make and keep it younger. Interesting. Makes me anxious to get with it!

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Interesting Magnolia about using the brain with more complex stepping. :cool:

Beth we went to get a chocolate milk mix. Hershey has stopped making it. :confused: They didn't give us a reason. My SIL on the west coast asked us to look for her.

I did Jillian's fat boost today.
It's my DS birthday tomorrow. We are taking him, my other son and wife out to dinner tonight. I NEED to stay away from the BREAD and I should be OK! :) I just baked him a red velvet cake from a family recipe. MAN it smells good. :eek:

Hi everyone,

I'm back from taking care of Mom. I'm drained and tired. We had the hospice family meeting yesterday and almost embarrassed myself with crying....was able to stop the tears....didn't want to bring any attention to myself.

I did do Drill Max and Stretch Max on Saturday and Low Impact Circuit yesterday. I didn't feel like exercising today....just carrying my luggage up and down the stairs felt like a workout.

I'll read the other posts when I'm rested. Hope you all have a great evening.

Hi Everyone!

Boy Linda, you are in my prayers! I think you are amazing for going through all that and still keeping up with your exercise! I can't even do that when I have a little problem.... Hugs from Florida as well:)

Magnolia, which of Dr. Amens books are you reading- I saw the PBS show but I only have his "change your brain change your life book."

Did Dis 25 today- day one of meso 3-- I decided to go to the gym twice a week to do the meso 3 in between the cardio days- I am sore!!!

Beth

Good Morning, Ladies!

Beth, I am reading Change Your Brain, Change Your Body. Actually, he says, "For better brain function, try a variety of activities that combine aerobic exercise and complex movements." ("Action Step", p. 121) He likes table tennis, but it made me think of Cathe's more advanced step workouts. :confused: It's a very good book. I have decided to try some of his ideas.

I hate having to take this week off! :( I'm getting antsy and having trouble getting good sleep every night.

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Good morning everyone,

I did Cathe's High Step Circuit this morning. Exercise for me is my saving grace....helps keep me sane. I'm still processing the discussion from the hospice family meeting and the reality of the situation is starting to hit me hard....was weepy during the cool down. I'm breaking out of the denial stage and starting to truly grieve.

My Mom wrote a book that was published last year "So You Have a Chronic Illness?" but I haven't been able to read it yet. I can't get pass the Forward. But I'm glad that I will always have her words with me when she passes on.

Magnolia - hope your back is getting better!

Kathy - welcome! This is a great group of women!

Jann - I love chocolate! Can't have it in my house....I have no self control.

Cathy - Have fun with your grandkids. Sounds like they keep you busy.

Joan - Take care of yourself and don't work too hard. Don't know how you do it working late into the evening.

Beth - Hi!

I'm going to try and watch what I eat today....I got into junk food yesterday when I got home and a bit disgusted with myself. Fortunately I'm maintaining my weight, but I think only because of the exercise. I really want to lose those last 10 lbs.

It looks like it will be another beautiful day....will take my sweet little yorkie for a walk around the neighborhood.

WHEW! well, i'm back.:) and yes, linda, i have been very busy. i logged between 5-7 miles a day on my pedometer. we were outside riding, playing, swinging, jumping, i was walking pretty much while the kids rode or whatever. and , part of the time lugging a 30 # kid.

anyway, today i came back with tracie's endurance for movement, and felt really good to work again. i needed the break anyway. was getting really worn out and burned out.

so, it was good. gonna finish out march with tracie and then go back to the firm's 2010 challenge.

hope ya'll are all doing well.

Good morning,

I did the 4DS - Bootcamp cardio only. Glad it was only 34 min. long....not a whole lot of energy today. I plan to take a nice walk in the neighborhood with my dog before it rains today.

Good morning, everyone!

A great walk on a beautiful day is one of the best things I think we can do for ourselves. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next week. But my back is almost well.

Cathy, good to hear from you again. Sounds like you were working out about as hard as anyone. Hope you enjoyed the time with your grandchildren.

Have a great day, everyone.

Magnolia

hi magnolia, had a lot of fun. think we are going to the zoo tomorrow. yeah, keeping 3 of them is harder than working out, but i don't know if i burn the calories i do. and don't really build muscle, except, i guess , heaving kids up on horses. :)
off to do staying power. ta ta

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.