50 and over week of Feb 1 check-in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good afternoon everyone,

I actually got 2 miles on treadmill at hotel yesterday. Good visit with friends last night.

Eating was not horrible but definitely not diet.

I got a birthday surprise from ds and dil. Second grandbaby due Sept 18.:D

I will check in later with wo.

Joan

Hi to all over 50

I am new to this and not sure if I should have started a new thread or a reply. But... my name is Beth and I would love to check in and challenge with you.

I am 52 and about 20 pounds heavier than I want to be despite an almost daily routine of cardio and weights and the clean eating routine-- I have always exercised and always had my weight under control until I hit 50- then- and I am not lying- I started gaining weight everytine I got on the scale--
October 2007 I started working with a trainer for the weights (did Cathe for cardio and added spinning, running, and eliptical)(oh and pilates)- He had us (I did this with a friend same age) on a very intense food program and we had to keep a food diary. She lost 35 pounds and I am the same weight (but in better shape)

I decided that the trainer was just costing money and I was not getting anywhere- so I am hoping that the STS program is intense enough to kick start some weight loss. So- I have not recieved mine yet but I did the 1 rep max and then printed the cards and went ahead and did disc 1 on Saturday- I can't wait to do the discs with Cathe and Crew but I have to say that even following the card was intense-

So, has anyone had this problem with weight and if so-- what has worked??

Hi Beth,

We start a new thread every Sunday and then keep it the whole week.

We've actually got two going this week because I didn't see the one Jann started and started this one. I was gone for part of the weekend.

I get my Sts Monday (hopefully). For the most part we will be starting Monday, but will probably start over when Cathe starts the rotation. I haven't lifted weights in two years so will be starting somewhat light. Jann is just recovered from an operation, but seems to be getting back in shape quicker than I am. For me at least being accountable to the group keeps me from missing many wo.

I had a trainer three times a week for three years and did not lose any weight but I also did not watch diet. Two years ago I started babysitting new grandaughter and did not have time for trainer. I also did not exercise. I gained twenty pounds over Christmas and vacation before Elliot was born and never lost them. The twenty pounds looked like forty when I lost muscle tone. I am 5ft 2in and Nov 18, 2008 weighed 173lbs. I started using Cathe's nutrition calculator and last Monday weighed 164lbs. I am trying to eat as much as possible and still lose 1/2lb per week. I lift 3times per week and do cardio 3times per week. I eat between 1500 and 1600 to lose the 1/2lb per week. My cardio is limited by my knees. I have been doing 5 miles on a treadmill usually 2-3 times per week, but it takes me two hours.

Everyone in group is trying to lose weight. Unfortunately it is in the 1/2 to 1lb per week range. We'll never be on biggest loser. I do feel that this time the weight loss will be permanent because I am eating almost everything I normally would but smaller portions. I also find I am eating much healthier using Cathe's site because I can see vitamins, minerals etc.

Welcome and I know with sts we should have great results.

Joan

HI Beth!! Welcome!! It is so frustrating isn’t it? :mad: I really have to watch everything I eat to lose that .5 pound a week! The month of January I have stayed the same with in .5 to 1 pound up and down. It drives me crazy. I gained a bit over the holidays and I have not been able to get that off. So I am not much help. :confused: I need to get back to using Cathe’s nutrition software. I have not been very good about that at all. I am currently doing a rotation using Beach Body’s ChaLean Extreme. As Joan mentioned I had surgery and am trying to get my body and muscles back into shape. The CLX (chalean extreme) series has been perfect for that. I will probably wait until Cathe starts STS then join in. I still can not use my abs yet so I may not be able to keep up with STS as written.

Joan your Dirty Dancing workout sounds like a lot of fun!! What time does your UPS person come around? A new grandbaby --- Congrats!! :D

Bev I like the Push circuit so far. Sure I’ll get you the info on my exercise floor. A paper plate works great on it. I have not heard when Cathe is starting. I think that will help me with my decision when to start.

I have not worked out yet today.. will post later.

Happy new week!

Welcome, Beth! I have had the same problem you are going through. It started about my late forties. I was working out six times a week (3 cardio and 3 cardio plus weights) and was careful about my diet. One day, all that just stopped working, and I started to gain weight. I had been on conventional hormone replacement therapy, but they never took a blood test, so my treatment for menopause was based on my doctor's guesswork. I changed doctors, had my hormone levels checked via a blood test, and now I am on natural hormones prescribed accordingly (I have a blood test about every six months). In my case, I have noticed a lot of improvement. I now sleep well every night and if I watch what I eat and work out, I do see results. Let me add, though, that we are all different, and no one answer is right for everyone. I hope you find whatever does work for you.

Jann, I took the plunge and ordered CLX yesterday. However, I also started to catalog the premixes on all the Cathe DVDs I own. I'll look for the rotation you mentioned as well. At this time, though, I don't think STS is quite right for me--not enough time in my day! Who knows, though, I might find myself in circumstances that will allow it. Just not right now. I'm interested in what you think, though, and look forward to your posts about it.

Hi, Bev, thanks for the input on CLX. I think it's fantastic that you and your DH share working out.

No time for a wo today, got to get some stuff done for my own DH. Have a great day, Y'All.

Magnolia

Good morning Jann, Magnolia, Bev, Beth and Pauline

Ouch!!!:( Knees and lower back can't take dirty dancing. I forgot I was old. I have stayed 25 the last 33 years. My kids each have a 25 candle for my birthday cake because that's how old I always say I am. When my kids were getting in their twenties I decided to say (in my mind) I was 30. That was too depressing so I went back to 25. As long as I stay away from mirrors I actually feel that young. At least until dirty dancing.

It's a good thing legs aren't until Friday. I will check in later with wo. It had better be sts.

Magnolia it sounds like CLX is pretty popular on a lot of the threads. I'm sure you will have great results. I hope sts is good. But it doesn't matter how good sts is if you can't fit it in schedule. I know I will fit sts in my schedule but I think cardio will be what gets left out. I'm afraid my weight loss will stall.

Haven't weighed in yet. I may wait to later in week. I know I used a lot of salt. You don't want to hear me complain about a weight gain that is only temporary. I really don't think I ate enough to "really" gain.

Joan

Joan I am so sorry your knees are giving you problems! Darn bodies! :mad: I still think of myself as young as well. I don’t mind being 52 as long as I don’t feeeeel like it. ;)

Beth Did you officially start STS too? :)

Magnolia yay :D :cool: – I hope you like it!! Here is the link for the premix rotation cathe wrote http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255129 I really liked it!!

Bev and Pauline are you guys going to jump on the STS wagon?

I think I am going to stick to the CLX rotation for now. I finished Push Circuit 3 today and I was having some trouble with the over head pull downs. It really pulled on my stomach and I just can’t take the chance of tearing my incision again. :confused: So I know I will not be able to take full advantage of STS right now. I can’t lift as heavy as I know I should because of my stomach and I can’t do any ab work. Sooooo I’ll have to put this off until later this year. I really had no idea that it would take this long to heal! :(

I really can’t wait to hear how you all do. :D I wanna hear about those results!

Hi, there! A break in the action!

Joan, congratulations on the new grand baby! That is wonderful. I know what you mean by remaining 25, I don't think of myself as 59, or I would get depressed. I don't feel any different than when I was 25, just maybe a little slower. You should see my mother-in-law, though! Wow! She's a real inspiration! She's 84 years old and lives in NYC. She walks all over the place in 4 inch heels. She was actually a contestant in Regis and Kelly's "Heel-A-Thon" (a race in high heels). She walked it, but they featured her because of her age. She says she doesn't feel any different than when she was young, and that's pretty obvious. I'm lucky to have her in my life.

Jann, thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out. I am really looking forward to CLX, but I still need to have some Cathe in there.

Have a great afternoon, all!

Magnolia

:(:( No STS yet. I thought they usually came by 3:00.

Jann since I had originally thought of doing six month rotation and then changed back to 3 months with Cathe. I'm sure I will be ready for second rotation with sts later this year. I expect results but I might not look like Cathe after only 1 rotation.;)

Joan

Joan, Jan, and Magnolia

I know what you all mean by thinking I am (in my case) 33. I think that is one of the reasons it gets frustrating. It sounds like you all really like the CLX. Is it working?

Joan congratulations on your grandchildren. I am not there yet but I can't wait. My youngest son is a senior and this is the first time in a while I have had the time to exercise so much. I think I am becoming addicted.

Jan it sounds like you are on a good road to recovering from your surgery so your right, you should just do what is working for you.

Magnolia- thanks for your insight on the hormones-- I suspect that is part of the problem because when my friend/workout buddy had hers adjusted with the natural hormones- it was around the same time we both started the other diet and routine and it came right off- I have had mine tested but I think I will have another doctor look at the results.

As for exercise- I did the STS day 2 today (without the cds). I had to add to my dumbell collection right away-- I think I like using the cards because I could take my time. I bet Cathe moves faster on the DVD. So far- so good-- then I went to the pool and did what I call pool running for 30 minutes. It was kind of rainy here and the pool is under a dome.

Well- keep it pumping girls!!! Beth

Back again,
Sts just arrived. I will preview it a little and still try to get wo in today.

Beth in booklet it says rest period between exercises is 30-45 seconds.

I think I better have equipment ready before I start or there will be a lot of pausing.

Joan

Good evening ladies,

I just finished sts. I could only do pushups on knees. Well actually I didn't try full pushups. I could not do target weight in most cases. I don't know why I did 1rm. Some examples of my weight used.
Alternating Seated Overhead shoulder press 12lb/10rep
incline chest flys 12lb/15
incline curl alternatin & rotate 10lb/15
incline front raise on ball 5lb/15
standing qtr stop curls 8lb/15

Joan

Good Morning Everyone!!!

We decided to go ahead and start STS on Monday too. It was a good workout. Most of the weights were about right, the biggest problem was all the pushups (8 different exercises)! I couldn't even do all the 30 (on my knees) in the 3rd exercise. By the time we got to the staggered pushups near the end of the workout I thought about just skipping that chapter! We only paused twice for equipment set up, pretty good. I did the no equipment ab workout, too, it was really tough, but I was also tired by that time! Tuesday is Imax 2 (if I can move)!

Welcome, Beth!!! Weight gain seems to be an issue after age 50, even with exercise and watching food intake. I think it is the hormone/menopause thing. I'm 56 and want to lose the 10-12 pounds I've gained (pretty much all around the waist), but eating is a big problem for me--I love food and I get so tired of feeling deprived! I've always been able to control my weight by exercising, but that just doesn't seem to work anymore.

Magnolia, I hope you like CLX!!! Wait until you see the woman who says she is 60...

Jann, I think STS is a lot of core work besides the heavy weights/long workouts. It's way better to wait until you are ready than have a major set-back. What results are you seeing from CLX? I did lose a few pounds and an inch or so around my waist in the 3 weeks I did it. I ate an average of about 1450 calories a day and added in extra cardio & cardio/weights.

Joan, congrats on the grandbaby on the way. Are they planning to find out the sex? So you will be babysitting both children, that will be a job!

It's been about 12 hours now since the workout and I'm starting to feel all those pushups, and my shoulders!!! I hardly ever get sore anymore--it's such a good feeling!

Have a great day everyone!

Bev

I am so excited to hear you guys talk about STS. And confirming my decision to wait. :D

Bev I measured Monday (Monday is my weigh and measure day) I can say for sure I have lost a full .5 inch from my waist. My body fat is down almost 1 %. My weight is a bit more than when I started. That is 100% due to my eating. :mad:

Joan what do you think happen with your 1RM testing? Your weight looks pretty darn good. Is that a % or your 1RM amount? I am thinking about starting STS in May – That would be so cool if you could join me! :D

Magnolia WOW :cool: High Fives to your MIL what an inspiration! :D I know what you mean about having to have some Cathe in there! That’s why on my as I call it Free cardio day – I do a little Cathe. CLX has 2 days off so I add a cardio day in.

Beth working out in a pool sounds GREAT! As I sit here looking at a snow covered back yard. :(

Here’s the information on my floor. I got it from Tiffin Athletic Mats inc. http://www.tiffinmats.com I was able to go to their warehouse and talk to them so I got a couple of left over pieces. My workout space is 12x12. The pieces come in 6 foot widths and they have a couple of 6 foot pieces left over. :) This is the flooring used over the gymnastics spring board. I did not put down the spring board. This stuff is made for cushioning impact jumps. So it really is good for my knees. I have it over carpeting. I love it. If I were 20 years younger I may have gotten the spring board for under it – but I am not kidding myself in thinking I will ever be jumping like that again. So I am happy with this foam flooring.
I use puzzle mats under the squat rack… here’s a pic.
3250840964_4f594b53a4.jpg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon, Everyone!

Jann, WOW! What a great looking workout room! I have always wished I lived in a place large enough to have a room just for working out. But we live in a small house, and I have to either take over the living room or the dining room (I have a table that folds up and leaves a good amount of space). Good for you!

I decided I needed to see how much I could challenge myself before CLX gets here, so today I did Pyramid Lower Body with dumbbells (a bar bell is really uncomfortable for me, because I have severe osteo-arthritis in my left shoulder). I am sure I will be taking some Advil before the day is over. I always like to know my muscles are there after a different workout. Lets me know I'm on the right track.

I am also glad to hear how y'all like STS. Maybe some day.

Have a great afternoon!

Magnolia

Good evening ladies,

I haven't done wo yet. I took off work at 2:00 to pick up Elliot. I got to have some play time until 5:00. Now it's back to work.

Later tonight I will get some treadmill in and since Bev reminded me the ab circuit. You really didn't have to mention it.

Jann for 1rm I was lifting 20lb(my heaviest dumbbell) for 15-20 reps for a lot of exercises. The 60% for standing quarter stop curls was 16lb dumbell and I could only use 8lb to make it all the way through.
I was really exhausted yesterday before I lifted so maybe I can lift more. I haven't changed 1rm. The amounts I listed were the ones I actually lifted.
I do think I had a longer rest between exercises in the 1rm.

I'm a little sore and I admit to doing knee pushups, and I did them mostly as regular pushups but I did do all of them. I have been more sore doing gym style.

Jann good work on .5 inch I'd take inches any day over a number on the scale.:D

Magnolia, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bottle of Advil. I have started taking it before I work out.

Beth I think you're right about working from the cards. I will probably take the pullup day to the gym at least once. If a person had willpower you wouldn't need the dvd's. I just wouldn't do as many if Cathe weren't tell me I could do last one or two.

I'll check in later with wo.

Joan

STS ARRIVED!!

Preview the 2 that I already did and I can see that I made a few mistakes-- I did 21 reps of certain exercises like the bicep curls and actually that meant 7 halfway up, 7 from midway to all the way up and then 7 full range of motion. ALso, I believe the timing is important--but, I am sore from the last two days so I may just pick up with the legs tomorrow---

Joan your weights seem high to me- did you enter them into the computer and have it figure it for you? I can only do the knee pushups too but I figure that will change with time..

Jann- I think that fat loss is fantastic-- are you eating more or less than before? I am sticking to 1200 calories and not seeing those results-- maybe it is the CTX?? And your room is great!!!!! Wait till I show my husband-- he thinks I'm bad

Bev, did you do the IMAX2? My cardio goal is to get through Bodymax2- I seem to have a brain meltdown about half way through

Have a good evening everyone!!

Hi Everyone

I did IMax 2 on Tuesday! I used my step with no risers (4") and didn't jump as high as Cathe, but I did give it my all! I just love the music in the Intensity Series!

Is anyone else following the STS rotation w/cardio? I was just looking it over tonight and putting a couple of weeks in the calendar--it looks really tough! If this doesn't take off ten pounds nothing will!

Does anyone else have more workouts in your stats than you have done? I liked the old stat display much better.

Jann, what do you use to calculate you body fat? I have the Tanita Inner Scan. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I do think it is right to tell if I've gained or lost body fat.

Magnolia, I hope you have good results with CLX. I am so happy with my results!!! But I did eat a lower fat, higher protein diet.

Joan, did you do "No Equipment Abs"? Are you doing Back & Triceps Wed? That's what I'm doing! DH was so tired on Monday after doing Disc 1--he had to take a nap!

Beth, I really liked the leg workout. Lots of variety and it has firewalkers (my favorite). Are you planning to do Disc 3, then 4, etc.? I think I've only done the entire Bodymax2 once or twice. I've done the premixes a lot. They are so much shorter!

Jann, thank you for the info! Do you have the 1 3/8" or the 2"? Is it mushy or firm? I have puzzle mats over carpet (with pad) now and they are a little 'squishy', not too bad, but a little hard on my ankles maybe, so I would like more firm but with energy return. I also want to remove the carpeting so I need something I can put on the cement floor that will protect my feet and joints. I still do some jumping (not very high)....I wonder if the spring board would make me jump high like Cathe??? I'm thinking she has springs in her shoes!

Bev

Good morning Bev, Jann, Beth and Magnolia,

Bev I didn't get to abs yesterday:( But I plan to do no eq abs today, maybe. I should have done IMAX 2. Instead I wore weighted vest on treadmill for less than 10 minutes. I am in pain all along the spine.

I won't be wearing vest for leg wo.

The wo manager puts all scheduled wo in stats not just completed ones. Yes, I liked seeing how many calories I had burned in a week even if I didn't believe the amount.

Beth the weights I put in thread are the ones I did. They were 2-5lbs less than my 60% target weight.

Jann I have wo area, but moved all weights and bench into my office. I won a 42in plasma tv 3 years ago and the dvd looks so much better than on my small tv in wo area.
Joan

Hi girls!
Magnolia – thanks, the workout space took several years of work to make it look like that. Now, the DH and DS both use it. Congrats on PLB I use dumbbells too!

Joan – I am sorry you are in pain. Being tired really effects the way I can workout too. You are working hard women! I use Cathe’s 10 pound vest on the treadmill. I feel it in my neck sometimes and have to take it off.

Beth – thanks my husband knows how much I love my workouts so it’s been easy for him on my birthdays. My eating is all over the place. One day really good followed by 2 days really, really bad.:eek: I have been trying to get it under control the last couple of days.

Bev I have a Tanita scale also. I hate that it increments in 2/10!! I feel like if I am only using that to monitor weight, fat, bone, muscle etc… then I have something to compare it to.
I got the 1 3/8 foam. I stepped on the 2” one and I felt like it was too soft since I was putting it over carpet. I used puzzle mats for a long time and this foam is much better, more absorbent. What I don’t like about it is the surface – I have noticed it is making little fuzz balls where I workout the most. Originally I was going to get some type of flooring to put over it. I still may have to do that.

I walked on the spring board. It was very nice! ---- Cathe does have springs in her shoes. I truly believe that!! ;)

I finished my first month of Chalene Extreme with Burn Intervals! Yay! :D I also did a 30 minute walk on the treadmill to try to burn more calories.

Take care all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.