50 and over week of Dec 8 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Today's wo was 1rm test for back and triceps. I finished all 19.:D:D:D
Tomorrow is cardio. Hope to do 3-4 miles on treadmill.
Joan

Good job on the 1rm test, Joan!!! You are really getting them done! I'm not so sure I'll do them at all, but I think my DH should. He always figures out what weight to use by what Cathe uses. I'm getting really excited for the STS workouts--it won't be long now!!!
I didn't do a workout Sunday or Monday, so I guess I better get busy Tuesday! Maybe Body Max 2.....if I have the time and energy!
Bev

Time for the weekly weigh in . I lost another 1/2 lb this week, From 173 on November 18 ( first day using Cathe's nutrition calculator) until now 168 1/2.
I averaged 1471 cal this week. It suggests 1200-1442 calories a day. I will only go lower in calories if I stop losing.
Bev - I would try just a few 1rm. Since I am slowly getting back into lifting after 2 years, I assumed that the amount I was currently lifting was about 60% of what I could lift 10-12 times. 8lbs divided by .6 equals about 13.3 so I would use 12 or 15lbs. When I tried the actual 1rm I was suprised at both how much and how little I could lift on some of the exercises.
I love pace weights. They are my Christmas present and yes I will wrap them up, but wanted to try them out. Sometimes the 60% can be something like 9lbs. With the 1/2lb magnetic weights, they can fit on the end of my 8lb. wt even though it is plastic coated. I bought the 18 piece set.
Joan

Haven't tried any of the 1 rms yet, but I really like the idea, and will certainly do them. I looked at STS, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for it. This is a tough week, too--I am a singer and this is concert week (Handel's Messiah & Pergolesi Magnificat), so with added rehearsals, I'm getting to bed late. I have been parking as far away as possible and walking when doing my errands, though, at least that's something. I'm also trying to squeeze in the shortest workouts I can find.

Finally finished my 60min treadmill.
Magnolia - You might want to try what JannR suggested to me. Wear a pedometer, you may be getting your 10,000 steps. Even if we only maintain this month, I always have more motivation in January. Unfortunately my busy season starts about the 7th of January.
Joan

Good Morning all!
Welcome, Magnolia! Glad to see another person posting!
I didn't have time to do Body Max 2 on Tues, so I did 4DS-HIS (cardio only). Wed will be weights, or cardio/weights.
Joan, I'm thinking about getting the pace weights. I already have PlateMates (4 @1 1/4 lbs. each) and 1 lb. weighted gloves, and Cathes 1/2 to 1 lb. adjustable gloves, so I'm wondering if I really need them?? I have dumbbells 3,4,5,6,7,8,10,12,15,20,25,30. I'm thinking they would be really handy for the barbell!
Bev

Good Morning!!

I was cleared yesterday to start exercising with modifications. :D I started with High Step Circuit. I still can’t work my abs or anything core so I had to skip those parts. I also kept it low impact. I can’t tell you how excited I am to do a workout video! :eek:

Joan Congrats on that weight lost! :)

Hi and welcome Magnolia! :)

Bev I have platemates also. I am holding off on the pace weights as well. I have the same dumbbells as you + one 35 pound. Do you like the adjustable gloves?

Hi everyone.
Jann -Yea:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I am so glad you were cleared to exercise.
Just checking in haven't wo yet.
Bev - I only have 5,8,10,12,15,20, and I don't like my 12lb db. I don't know if having 1/2lb on each end, or 1 1/4 on one end would make any difference. I don't think I would only increase 1/2lb at a time but who knows. I think the gloves would work as well, but I don't think I would like to wear them.
I guess since we haven't heard any differently, STS is still possible to be shipped this year? I looked at video clip of disc 3- legs I don't think Cathe used weights on first 2 exercises and firewalker uses a band. Three less to test.:) I can't decide if I want to test legs today or do gs.
I really think sts will work for me, I need to be told what to do everyday. If I decide in advance it's ok also, but I spend too much time thinking about what to do next instead of just doing it.
Joan

Finished my GS legs, just the premix 1. I tried to test some of the 1rm first.
While I could lift a heavier weight, it really hurt my knees. I imagine my form was not that good. I need to get a mirror in here. When I did the actual dvd Cathe was using 8 and 10lb db. and I could match her. Not bb weight, I can't put that much weight on back of neck. I will either try weighted vest(yes another Christmas gift) or db.
I think I'll try final chest, shoulder and biceps 1rm test tomorrow and ab work.
Then cardio on Friday and Sunday with Saturday a rest day.
Since we always go out to eat on Friday, we have a company Christmas party on Saturday night and a cookie exchange on Sunday, I may be in trouble with my calories.
Joan

Thanks everyone, I'm glad to find a place like this to connect with people who can give me some insight. Thanks also for the suggestion about the pedometer, I'll certainly try it. I actually was able to squeeze in Basic Step and the stability ball abs add on today--I often use that one when I'm really strapped for time. I've been doing Cathe's break-in rotation with heavier weights, but maybe it would be better to try switching to the intermediate one using premixes. All depends on what's going on tomorrow.

Jann, glad to hear that you are able to resume your workouts.

Thanks girls. I have DOMS this morning!!:eek::cool: It feels so good to know my muscles are a live again!!:D
I jumped on the treadmill this morning for 40 minutes then did some stretching.

Joan I have a terrible time with a heavy barbell hurting my neck. My personal trainer suggested a manta ray and it really helps. You can get them several places. Here is a picture.
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4166_A_CategoryID_E_239

I had a good handle on the 1RM's but, since the surgery and taking 2 1/2 months off to recover I have to start all over. :confused:

Magnolia I love Cathe's premixes!! I have them listed and categorized by style. :)

Good morning Bev.:D

Hi everyone,
Jann- I really like the look of the manta ray. I may have used up all my Christmas presents, but there are birthdays, valentine days etc.;)
I'm not sure I would change the 1rm you have recorded. They have a spot to show what you actually used and you may recover muscle faster than you think. I've read that your muscles have memory and can get back to where they were in three to six weeks. Although I'm not sure that is true if you take off two years. My muscles have amnesia.
Magnolia - I think its great you take time this week to keep working out. I hope you enjoy your concerts. (You don't have to enjoy rehearsals) Yesterday was the first time I tried a premix. Because I sometimes have 2 short periods to work out in a day would you (or anyone) do two leg premixes in one day etc. I have been usually doing a body part once a week. Sometimes I have just stopped dvd and come back to it later. Of course you don't get a warm up.
I haven't started wo yet, just got Elliot to bed. I'm trying to decide if I need a nap too.
Bev I see you posted at 3:30. Are you getting up or going to bed? I found that the most reliable time for me to wo has been midnight, but that hasn't worked lately. Last night I prepared some payroll taxes and my questionaire for 2008 tax returns and didn't get to bed until 2:30. Of course dil drops off Elliot at 7:15. Yes I have decided I do need a nap.
I'll check in later after I wo.
Joan

I really like the idea of categorizing the premixes. When the season is over, I may do that myself.

I used to do a slightly shorter video (usually not more than 45 or 50 minutes) early in the morning, then walk about 3 miles in the afternoon (weather permitting). I am thinking about making that a goal for the spring or summer. Could not do anything today--the weather is really messy here, and it was just a really crazy day. However, I am reasonably sure that I can get in a video tomorrow.

No workout again today!!! Only one 33 minute workout this week so far, and a 3 lb weight gain! For some reason I have had way more energy to eat than to workout.
Jann, I think the premixes are the greatest! In fact I do them a lot more than the original workouts. I love the cardio premixes in Body Max 2 and LIC and 4DS. Did you make your own list or find it on the website somewhere? I would sure like a copy.
Magnolia, I think you can use any of Cathe's weight workouts and just use weights that are right for you. I use all the weight workouts and I am not very strong. I don't really mind using lighter weights--they are challenging for me.
Joan, I wish I could make myself workout at night. I usually get home from work about 12:30 and don't go to bed until about 4:30, but I'm just too hungry and tired to do anything.

I feel terrible:( About noon yesterday I felt freezing cold and could not get warm. Until the fever started burning me up about 7:00 pm. With body ache, headache, and horrible presure behind my eyes, I didn't feel like working out and I may skip today too. We'll see how it goes.
Joan

Joan, it is okay to take rest days when you are sick! Get lots of rest and get better!!
Did you see the STS update? It's possible that we may not have them for Jan 5 after all. I was hoping to get them by Christmas and use the workouts for the 1rm test.

Joan, I hope you are resting and drinking a lot of fluids. Plenty of time to work out when you are feeling better, which I certainly hope will be very soon.

Hi all!

Joan - I hope you feel better soon. Yes, take it easy. Let your body fight this off.

Bev - I created the list myself. I'll email it to you.

Magnolia - I love your plan. I did 30 minutes of walking a day and shorter workouts for a while during the spring/summer and loved it.

Today I did my best to do most of upper body split. There were some exercises I can't do just yet so I followed the DVD and made modifications where needed. I can feel it in my shoulders already. :D

I did read the update on STS. I am not starting it until later on anyway.

Replying to myself…. :p

I did Cardio Weights today from Basic Step well, as much as I could. No lying on the ball, push ups, etc. Burned over 400 calories though!! :D

Have a good one ladies!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.