50 and Over- * Wednesday*

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

Just came upstairs from working out.. Had my protein shake, fed the "livestock" ( 2 dogs and a bird lol!) now I have coffe and am relaxing for a bit.
Today was ME Lower Body pr-mix. After about 1000 leg presses (just kidding), I get to do my "favorite" lunges.. NOT! I don;t know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot do these with weight, and almost not at all. I try different legs positions, wider, narrower, and I keep getting pains in my back calf, or my hip joint, cracks and feels like it is going out of joint.. and forget about the low ends! lol! Anyone else have trouble with lunges?

Kathy H: I wake up every morning around 4:15 and can't get back to sleep so I figure, why not just get up and get the workout out of the way? I think its one of the menopause symptoms.. not being able to sleep. I looked at the clip of Squeeze on Collage. How long are each of the workouts? can you give us a breakdown?

Garance: wow do you have a farm? where abouts? I also looked at the Dancing with the Stars DVD.. because it was my favorite show to watch.. not sure how good a workout it was so I did not get it.

Melrose: Good for you for sticking with the excercise even with interuptions! 8 days without a day off? That is hard! I can barley stand 5 anymore!

Linny: you and I are about the same weight and want to lose the same amount! I started at 155, and want to lose 25-30. I am only 5'4 and my best is around 125. I would love to get to 130. Your goal of 8 pounds by July 1 sounds good.. We are here to push each other alone! I agree with you on the waiting until after work to work out.. I would always find an excuse to not do it. Too much gets in the way and I don;t have much resolve at that time of day!

Speaking of losing weight, what calorie count to you try to stick with? I have read BFFM and according to Tom, I am not eating enough, however, I feel like if I ate what he says ( 1600-1800) I would gain.. Does anyone keep track of calories? like on Fitday?

Have a great day!
Deb

:)

Hi Deb and all to follow:
I don't have "livestock" to feed in a.m. just me.Sometimes I feel like a cow. Did KPC(most of it) and shoulders from PS. I am 5'4" also and I liked it when I'm about 130-135.I did Atkins a few years ago and had lost about 20 but as soon as I ate normal again back it came and more.Then I did WW and again lost about 20.But then Halloween candy,thanksgiving pie and christmas cookies came and remained on my hips. Today I did the scale bit and I was 155.So 6 more pounds till July 1st. Worried about weekend coming though, having a birthday party for my 2 granddaughters. So cake,icecream and all that jazz.
I noticed the night sweats have started up again.Darnit! I thought they were over.
Well I have to go present shopping. Have a great day.~Linny~

Happy Wednesday, All,

I don't count calories - too depressing!

I found that lunging onto the step is the only way I can do lunges without my knees hurting. The pain has almost totally gone away since I started doing lunges this way. I also think this works my glutes a little more, which is a good thing, since so many exercises hit the quads too hard and the glutes not enough (in my unprofessional opinion)!

Yesterday I did the Back and Core portion of Slow and Heavy, then Stage 3 of Christi's Step Heaven (since it also uses weights). Today I'm going to attempt Stage 2 of Step Heaven (gulp). The choreography is so complex, and my brain is already fried from Spanish class at work!

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Busy at work just have a little time now to post.

My "livestock" are 2 cats, DH & DS to feed besides myself. When I was going through perimenopause I had trouble sleeping too. Once menopause kicks in for good, no more sleepless nights + your weight, memory goes back to normal! Hang in there. When I was in peri I started noticing a thickness to my waist & mushy abs probably 10#s overweight. Ob/gyn put me on Mircette 28 (low dosage birth control pill) for 2 yrs. It worked like a charm. Weight came off & stayed off. Came off the Mircette & I've been fine ever since. Do I recommend you do this? No. I'm just stating what worked for me. Its difficult for women to lose weight while going through peri. With menopause I have "other" issues to deal with. Not easy. :(

When I did Butts & Guts premix to Leg Blast w/all those lunges my left knee was killing me for weeks! When I have the bb on my back for too long a period of time, my lower back gets twingy & I have to stop. Your not alone Deb. I haven't done lunges in about a month. I don't have problems w/my calf or hip joint. I don't particularly like lunges to begin with. I wouldn't do them if their bothering you this much.

Squeeze's Full Body w/o is 60" if you do the entire w/out. The Power Squeeze is 30" & the Custom is just picking & choosing your own exercises for your own routine. I've been doing all the leg exercises & it comes in under an hour. I always have room for abs. I'll be doing it again on Thursday (Custom Squeeze) but also incorporating squats, plies, dreaded static lunges, firewalkers, deadlifts & calf raises. I'll make a note as to how long this takes me.

I'm on BFFM; have been on it for quite a while. I discovered I wasn't eating enough either. I zigzag my cals. I hover between 1600-1800. I add in another carb (usually yams) on Wed & Sat. Also add in one more piece of fruit on these days. Tom Venuto already has it tracked but you can certainly use Fitday. I used the Phase 1 & Phase 3 for my eating plans in the ebook. It became like second nature after a while. I cook up everything on Sun. which only takes me about an hour to do. Put it all into individual containers & pack it up for work. It works! Deb you will lose weight by eating more often. Keeps your metabolism burning. I'm 5'2" 107#s. I need to post a pic.

Garance: I'd like to know too where your farm is located.

Rhonda: How's the weight training going?

Melrose: That's a lot of days to work straight. I hope you can get in all the exercise.

Tonight's workout is a premix from Drill Max doing upper body + cardio.

I've written another book ladies! Sorry!:(

Have a great day! Kathy:D

Hi, everyone!

For Deb and Kathy, our farm is in western Mass--Williamstown, the Berkshires. But I'm no farmer. My husband is, though. He currently has 7 new calves, 5 yearlings, 7 heifers, and a bull named Kool. He raises beef, so only the heifers (Vicky, Francine, Celeste, Mary, Clover, Starshine, and April)and the bull Kool have names. Sometimes, though, he finds himself giving them incidental names--like one of the steers who keeps trying to breed he calls Castrato. He currently has 12 little piglets--raising pork, too. 135 acres and mostly forest (we're on the side of a mountain), so he raises hay on other people's pastures. He also sells wood and plows snow in the winter, and is a soccer referee in the fall. Like I said, he's a workaholic.

I did the timesaver Muscle Max today. I was planning to do the whole thing (68 mins.), but had a hard time getting up this morning and did the 57 min. one. It is fairly easy, although I agree on static lunges. They just never get any better.

After reading the thread on Kimberly Spreen, I went ahead and ordered 3 more DVD's after looking at the clips. They look do-able for this old body. Cathe still has no announcements to make, darn!

I am still stuck at a 7 pound loss on South Beach. I keep waiting for the scale to budge. Sigh!

Hi Ladies,

Today I will be running 5.5 miles. I was looking at a list of fall marathons and can't make up my mind at to which one I should do.

I need to sign up for one in order to have a goal. This is the only way that I can keep myself on track with my workouts.

I have done New York 3 times and was looking at the Detroit web site for October 21st. I have a friend that lives in Detroit and it would be fun to see her again. I also have friends in Canada and I know that they have at least 3 marathons there in the fall. Help!

I just have to make up my mind.

Josie

Hello everybody. Glad everybody is doing well and all the injuries apppear to be healing.

Did MIS today - Cathe's June Rotation. I had not done it for along time. I have to say that I like Cathe's letter weight workouts better. I got bored. The later workouts are more creative, more effective...just superior..not only in the routines but also the filming. It was a 75 minute workout. I had enough at the end of 75 minutes. Really an hour is my limit. I only did 10 minutes of yoga stretches. Tomorrow the rotation has Step Blast and an abs routine scheduled. I will probably just do the aerobic workout, and then tack on another day focusing on yoga stretching and abs work.

I am 5'4". When I went back to Weight Watchers I was weighing in at around 155 pounds. So far I have lost 9.6 pounds Lost a quarter of a pound last week. That does not thrill me but at least it is in the right direction. My goal is to get down to 135 fully dressed, which is probably in the low 130's.

The Flex Plan of Weight Watchers counts points. It is alot easier to do than counting calories. Check out the web site. I hate plateus! :p I have reviewed my food diary from last week, tweeted some things, and am going to increase my food intake a little bit this week. Hopefully my perimenopausal body will cooperate with a weight loss next Tuesday. But at any rate even with my present feeling of bloat, I feel much better making better food choices and I am in this for the long haul. If there is no weight loss next week, maybe there will be the following week....

I don't have any livestock, but I do have a parrot and lots of fish tanks.

Counting tomorrow, seven work days until summer break. 5 1/2 days left with students. The end is in sight. Having less stress, more time for exercise, and more personal time will hopefully help my weight loss.

Also, have ordered Squeeze and the last CIA Spreen workout from Collage. I can't wait.

Regards to all,

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.