50 and Over- * Saturday & Sunday* !

fox2star

Cathlete
Well the weekend is here at last ! Today is a rest day for me. Of couse that means weeding the garden and doing other house type work! Yuk! I also want to go shopping to look for something to wear to a business type 3 day conference I have to go to next week in Baltimore. This is strictly business, not "business casual" and it is really hard to find appropriate clothes. I'm not sure about the rest of you but clothes shopping is so hard if you are not twenty something and a size 2! I went to Anne Taylor Loft last night on the recommendation of someone at work and couldn't find anything I liked, then tried Macy's and even Penny's ! Nothing! Where do people our age get clothes now a days? I am going to try Talbot's later today.

Kathy: The workout blender is really easy to use! One of Cathe's DVD's best features.. when you select it from the Main Menu, it gives you all the sections or chapters, you tab to the one you want to start with then hit enter, then go to the next etc.. then the DVD just plays what you selected in the order you did it in.. great for making things a little shorter, while still getting the warm up and stretch in too! I am looking foward to seriously starting the BFFM.. did good yesterday until evening and that dang Klondike bar!

Garance: The Gym Styles are some of my favorite Cathe's workouts! I can't believe you do 30 lbs on flies! do you mean each DB is 30? wow! I use 15"s for this and 25# for chest press.. Sorry I can;t recommend any reading for you as I am a mystery, private investigator type book lover, no inspiration there, just lose myself in the story!

Rhonda: sounds like you are really doing well with the KS workout! I would say a 9 lb body bar would be "just a little harder" than a broomstick! I don;t think I could do this with a 5 lb bar! STOP cleaning and take a rest! You are making me feel like a slug!

Melrose: Another one using the Gym Styles! my favorite type of weight work! I bought S&H on Ebay and will be using it in a one part per day rotation when it gets here... maybe doing the legs/abs one day then following days 20 min of cardio followed by one body part.. I have to work on this.. If all you have while on BFFM is one Skinny Cow per day, does that blow it? We need to get Kathy in here to let us know!

Have a great fun weekend and don;t forget to rest!

Deb

Just finished Cardio Fusion - All Step premix - and yoga stretching.

Somebody got hold of my credit card number. I have been contacting vendors for hours. I hate when this happens.

I really like Weight Watchers Flex Plan because all foods are permitted based on Calories, Fiber, and Fat content. You just have to plan how to include it. I can't stay with a program long term that has lots of restrictions or when I can't eat what everybody else around me is eating. Once you get into it, realize that you need to change your behaviors, and make better food choices, the Weight Watchers Points System is easy to follow.

The Cathe rotation for June has another week of SH. I am going to modify that to a one body part a day rotation. I just don't have the focus to do SH any other way at this point.

By the way, Talbots is having it's twice yearly sale right now. I don't have the need for much business clothes. I like Chicos clothes the best because they have bright colors, flattering lines, and don't feel old lady like. Also, they only come in sizes 0 ,1, 2, and 3. For example, size one is around and 8 or 10. But buying them full price in retail stores is more than I want to pay. I usually end up going to the Chicos Outlet in Leesburg Virginia, about 45 minutes away.

http://chicos.com/store/home.asp?sourceID=chicos_google_brand

Have a great weekend!

Rhonda

Hi Deb and Rhonda--

Agh! I do two fifteen dumbbells for both the chest press and flies. No way could I do 30 pounders or even Cathe's 20 pounders. I am really impressed Deb that you do 25's!!!

On the book suggestions: I read the Kite Runner and enjoyed it but also found the ending too contrived. (Aside: I am an English professor, so I frequently make aesthetic judgments that are just finicky for a lot of other people. I don't like Cormac McCarthy, for instance, because I think he's too derivative from Faulkner.) I also didn't like the narrator for a long time. So I am reluctant to pick up another Hosseini book. The Red Tent looks a little too religious for me, and I was surprised there weren't any reader reviews at Amazon, so I couldn't get a real take on the book.

I devour mysteries and thrillers--which is the problem. I have quickly, too quickly polished off the newest Sandford Invisible Prey, Lee Child's Bad Luck and Trouble, Connolly's The Overlook, and even the Mary Higgins Clark, although she continues her decline. I have read everything by these authors because once I find an author I like, I just burrow through them like a box of chocolates. I also love P.D. James, Grafton, Lescroart, and Crais. Not a fan of Plum. I just bought In the Woods and preordered Slummy Mummy and Silence by Thomas Perry, another one of my favorites.

Anyway, today was my off day and I slept in--from 10:30 last night until 7:30 this morning. Luuvely! Cleaned my house and started tagging recipes in one of my South Beach Diet cookbooks. I have now lost 9 pounds and I feel great. This is really working for me.

Tomorrow I will do the Absolute Kickboxing DVD--at least an hour of it, maybe more. How long is that premix people seem to love?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Happy Father's Day to all!

I am still getting up early. My internal clock still has not reset from getting up at 5:00 a.m. for work.

Did Squeeze this morning. My body is tingling.

I do not read alot of novels. Most of my reading is confined to listening to "books on tape" while driving. By the time I begin reading, it is late and I am tired. I end up nodding off. Most of my reading confined to doing research, and reading professional journals, books, and reports related to teaching special education.

My passions are knitting and physical fitness. Given a choice of a book or working on a knitting project, I will knit. Given the choice of reading a book or going for a walk, I will go for a walk. My personal time is limited. Hopefully next year when both my daughters are not at home I will do more reading (and less cleaning and cooking). I also think that TIVO is the greatest thing ever invented. Big fan of the internet also.

Regards to all,

Rhonda

Happy Father's day to all out there! Today I did ME Express workout, so I could get a total body workout in this week. With travelling 3 days, I will be lucky if I will get 2 cardio treadmill workouts in at the hotel.

Question for the day: What supplements do you take if any, and do you believe they help? I take fish oil, flax seed, extra B, calcium with soy, Glucosimine, vitamin E, and a multi every day. Have been doing this for years and I think it helps!

Rhonda: that is awful about your credit card! Do you know how it happened? That happened to me once too, however Bank of America called me right away when someone was buying things over the internet from England! They said they watch for suspicious purchases and this was one! A friend of mine does the WW Flex plan too and she is a pro at points counting! I did go to Talbot's and bought 2 jackets and a top.. even on sale, they were very expensive for me! My DH says that I don;t buy clothes very often so I should get what I want, regardless of price.. he is an angel! I tried a local Chico's a while ago and they did not have anything very business like, more casual stuff and you are right, not cheap either! I also like to quilt when I am not reading or working out! too hot right now to do that though!

Garance: I meant I use 25 lbs BB for bench presses, not flies! Mysteries and thriller are my favorite too! I am hooked on series and love to read them all in order etc. I go on line to our library system and request them, then when they are at our local library, they send me an e-mail.. it costs $.25 ! better than buying them and storing them! I am still the high bidder on Ebay for that cookbook!

Have a great day.. I may be back later, after dinner with Dad!

Deb::9

Hi Rhonda and Deb--

Did the Kimberly Spreen premix of kickbox and bar intervals--clocked in about 75 min. I used my old Firm barbell minus the weights, which I think is 10 pounds and didn't find it too difficult, although I don't use as great a range of motion as Spreen. I thought one of the background exercisers looked like she had recently done something to her face, which looked really burned or something. Very distracting.

I like to sew and knit, too. But I only do it for an hour a day, while watching Regis and Kelly in the morning, after working out, showering, etc.

Now I feel better, Deb--I use a 30 pound barbell for bench presses.

We're having DH's parents over for a cookout. Our sons dutifully called their dad, and told him that they were going to get Red Sox tickets, but then realized that he wouldn't come if they did. They are right, even though he loves the Red Sox. He's a workaholic when its hay season, and that's what he is doing this afternoon--mowing hay.

I will do Squeeze tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of the day ladies!

OOOh--forgot the question of the day.

I take Glucosamine Chondroitin (3 Osteo-Biflex every morning), Selenium 200 mg., low dose aspirin, Omega-3 fish oil (1000 mg.), Vit. C, 500 mg., Lutein (recommended by my eye doctor), Calcium-Vit. D as in Caltrate. Yes, I do think this stuff helps--especially the Osteo-Biflex for my Knee.

Happy Father's Day, All,

Yesterday was a working day/errand running day after work, so a ``rest'' day. I'm at work today, and plan to do a Leslie Sansone walking tape afterwards - not yet sure which one.

I take chewable calcium citrate, a chewable multi-vitamin, extra B & C, and ginger. I used to swear by glucosamine/chondroitin - as a matter of fact, it completely cured a frozen shoulder - but I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and the glucosamine makes my blood sugar go through the roof. My husband uses G/C faithfully.

Garance, entirely up to you, of course, but I didn't find ``The Red Tent'' to be religious at all. Of course, it refers to something in the Bible, but reads like history. I got hooked on it because the first page was written so beautifully that it took my breath away - I'm pretty hard to impress that way.

I just finished a murdery mystery by Michael Connelly called ``First Lady.'' It was very good.

Edited to add that I just re-read your post, Garance, and I'll bet you've already read ``First Lady!''

Question of the day:

Daily: I take one multi-vitamin with iron, and a caltrate 600-D. I just can't bring myself to drink more than two glasses of milk. I am lactose intolerant and take lactase pills when I have dairy products.

Blood sugar and blood pressure are okay. Joints are okay. I will recheck my cholesterol once I reach the twenty pounds of weight loss. I may begin taking an omega-3 fatty oil supplement to lower cholesterol.

Tomorrow I am going to do something aerobic, go to the optician with my daughter to pick out new glasses, repot plants, drop off a load of books at the library's used book store, knit, and clean. But most of all I am going to enjoy being able to control my own schedule, independent of working.

Have a great evening.

Regards,

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.